has 6th Street degenerated this badly?

Make em eat Taco Bell

7 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

was decent in the 80s and 90s, not at this level of jungle at that time, no way.  Did you watch the video? 

Nothing in Austin is the same as it was then for sure. I went a few times when i was in my 20's, but it just wasn't for me. Puke filled streets, fights, clubs with such loud music that it makes a conversation nearly impossible. Occasional shooting/stabbing deaths. I avoided people who made it a habit to go down there a lot. That was in the mid 2000's.

Edited by Pam Cummings

6th street used to have a diversity of bars, clubs, music venues, restaurants, and entertainment options. Now it's just clubs for college kids. The "recently graduated" moved to west 6th. The music venues all went to red river or the east side. Can't really think of any restaurants. The only places that can survive down there are bars that sell high-volume drinks to people in their early 20s who are down there getting blasted. The homeless shelter's proximity to dirty 6th doesn't help. A buddy of mine ran a music venue off Red River and had to bail because people were shooting up in the alley, shitting behind their club, passing out behind the club, etc. 

Chronicle just did a story on Dirty 6th.

https://www.austinchronicle.com/news/2022-06-17/can-dirty-sixth-be-cleaned-up/

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

Nothing in Austin is the same as it was then for sure. I went a few times when i was in my 20's, but it just wasn't for me. Puke filled streets, fights, clubs with such loud music that it makes a conversation nearly impossible. Occasional shooting/stabbing deaths. I avoided people who made it a habit to go down there a lot. That was in the mid 2000's.

6th was great in the early and mid 2000s. Was down there multiple days a week and never had an issue and neither did any of the people we knew. The streets were most definitely not covered in puke. Very few fights. Never saw a murder let alone a stabbing or shooting. I lived on Red River and 9th from 2010-2012 and my sister and her husband lived on 4th. We would walk back and forth to each other’s apartments all the time. You must have been a blast in college. 

• Hook 'Em 3

No idea, haven’t been on 6th in at least 15yrs.

One of the last times I was down there, me and a buddy were walking into a place while the cops were walking out. Cop said to the bouncer, “You’ve got someone selling coke in the bathroom.”

They had great drink specials.

No worse than Kings Cross in London, or a million other bar districts around the world.  Except the guns.  Even then, every major city has a shitty nightclub district where people behave poorly, fight, fuck, and pass out. 6th has always been that. 

23 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

No worse than Kings Cross in London, or a million other bar districts around the world.  Except the guns.  Even then, every major city has a shitty nightclub district where people behave poorly, fight, fuck, and pass out. 6th has always been that. 

Sure but 6th has definitely gotten shittier. Then again - other spots have gotten trendier and higher trafficked. 

11 hours ago, ztejas said:

Sure but 6th has definitely gotten shittier. Then again - other spots have gotten trendier and higher trafficked. 

Well, if anything, that’s the weird thing about 6th: it’s that the city continues to let it degenerate.  Plenty of bar districts end up gentrifying as residential real estate prices climb and people don’t want a fight outside their condo on a Tuesday night. 

IN DC, it was Adam’s Morgan for the longest time, but that’s all Bougie now.  It’s moved to U and H streets, but even H is starting to get classy. Austin seems committed to not doing the necessary rezoning to allow market economics to work their magic.

Edited by Bateshorn

you could see dirty 6th start to turn around 2007, 2008 when on any given week night the college kids were outnumbered by everyone else.  you'd also see more people milling around outside on the sidewalks than there were people in the bars.  a short time later the number of live music acts on a weeknight dropped.  used to be you could walk around on a thursday and there'd be a handful of bars with live music but that stopped.  i haven't been back on a regular basis since 2010.  

People used to go to 6th to go to the bars. Now people go to 6th just to hang out on the street and cause trouble. I'd be surprised as shit of even half of the people in the video spent a dime in any 6th street bar/club/restaurant that night. 

I said it before. Fence off the whole area, charge $20 admission which is then used to buy drinks/dinner at a bar/restaurant on 6th. That would solve most of the issues on 6th street.

Just now, crash_davis said:

People used to go to 6th to go to the bars. Now people go to 6th just to hang out on the street and cause trouble. I'd be surprised as shit of even half of the people in the video spent a dime in any 6th street bar/club/restaurant that night. 

I said it before. Fence off the whole area, charge $20 admission which is then used to buy drinks/dinner at a bar/restaurant on 6th. That would solve most of the issues on 6th street.

seems like the easier and cheaper solution would be to get rid of the loitering.  No drinking on the street, no hanging out, in or out of the bar/venue etc.  That would also get rid of some of the underage crowd just hanging out on the street.  Stop closing the streets at night, make people use sidewalks and have the police control the intersections or create pedestrian bridges.

Edited by ChickenSandwich

44 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

seems like the easier and cheaper solution would be to get rid of the loitering.  No drinking on the street, no hanging out, in or out of the bar/venue etc.  That would also get rid of some of the underage crowd just hanging out on the street.  Stop closing the streets at night, make people use sidewalks and have the police control the intersections or create pedestrian bridges.

You can't drink on the street. Not sure what you mean by "no hanging out, in or out of the bar/venue"? No hanging out in the venue?

The streets have been closed Thursday through Saturday night as long as I started going there in the mid-90s. Opening the streets with that many drunks would be terribly unsafe. I don't see any realistic way to enforce a "no loitering" there. It's like Bourbon Street. People just wander from bar to bar.

Maybe they should install entry/exit points with metal detectors and make it a "no gun" zone. Obviously increased police presence and more cameras would be helpful in allowing police to intervene in fights much quicker. Otherwise, not sure what you can do.

the weave landing on the cops head is always great

it is too bad youtube pulled that site recently, but it has been built back up, but lots of old videos missing

you know there is a major issue when the most dangerous place in the whole area is right across the street from the police headquarters and where several shootings have happened over the years

it is so shitty down there you almost feel bad for the homeless and the junkies laying around trying to get some sleep while being stepped on and tripped over from those fighting...then there are the pieces of shit that hang around the perimeter of the fights waiting to grab up a phone pr pick the pockets of someone that gets knocked down/out

and APD must water down their pepper spray to about 0% or they must buy the weakest crap on earth because it seems about useless

• Haha 1