has 6th Street degenerated this badly?

Make em eat Taco Bell

2 hours ago, irishtexan said:

You can't drink on the street. Not sure what you mean by "no hanging out, in or out of the bar/venue"? No hanging out in the venue?

The streets have been closed Thursday through Saturday night as long as I started going there in the mid-90s. Opening the streets with that many drunks would be terribly unsafe. I don't see any realistic way to enforce a "no loitering" there. It's like Bourbon Street. People just wander from bar to bar.

Maybe they should install entry/exit points with metal detectors and make it a "no gun" zone. Obviously increased police presence and more cameras would be helpful in allowing police to intervene in fights much quicker. Otherwise, not sure what you can do.

I think what he means is, in our day, what we called "parking lot pimping", named after the Jay-Z song in the 90's or something like that. Essentially, being a part of the "scene" in order to see-and-be-seen and pick up women or socialize (which then leads to conflicts and fights sometimes, etc.) while being adjacent and tangential to bars and restaurants and occasions, but not having to actually participate and spend money.

This means that those who want to go and have a good time and engage with the bars and restaurants and other like-minded folks are outnumbered by those without any financial skin in the game and so they eventually move on to socialize elsewhere (4th, 5th, W. 6th, Rainey, East 6th., wherever).

All that to say, there are definitely problematic ways to paint the fall of 6th street with a broad brush that some of you are close to doing with social and racial implications. 

• Hook 'Em 1

People used to go to 6th to go to the bars. Now people go to 6th just to hang out on the street and cause trouble. I'd be surprised as shit of even half of the people in the video spent a dime in any 6th street bar/club/restaurant that night. 
I said it before. Fence off the whole area, charge $20 admission which is then used to buy drinks/dinner at a bar/restaurant on 6th. That would solve most of the issues on 6th street.

Has to be a better way. No way I am Paying a $20 “cover charge” to go in to a fenced in area to have dinner or for that matter have a few beers with friends.

8 hours ago, markstanco said:

Has to be a better way. No way I am Paying a $20 “cover charge” to go in to a fenced in area to have dinner or for that matter have a few beers with friends.

that full $20 is applied to your dinner, or drinks. you're not paying for nothing, you're just pre-paying $20 on your bill. assholes who have no business on 6th will not pay $20 every weekend just to loiter on 6th. 

• Like 1

6th St. became shitty and dangerous when you were about 27 years old, regardless of what year that was.  It's the same rule of Austin being "not what it used to be", which always happens when you turn 35 whether that was in the 1970's or the 2020's or anytime in between.   

• Hook 'Em 8

15 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

6th St. became shitty and dangerous when you were about 27 years old, regardless of what year that was.  It's the same rule of Austin being "not what it used to be", which always happens when you turn 35 whether that was in the 1970's or the 2020's or anytime in between.   

63996-F14-C505-45-F7-BF27-5-EDC589-F1-DE

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, StruggleBus said:

I'm trying to think of the amount of money it would take for me to hang out on dirty 6th for a single night. Probably in the $250k range. 

I’d do it for a few hundred with drinks and dinner. Eat at Parkside go have some drinks at a few different bars. Not really that hard and it wouldn’t feel that much different than any tourist area. Some of y’all really overestimate how bad dirty 6th is.

7 hours ago, crash_davis said:

that full $20 is applied to your dinner, or drinks. you're not paying for nothing, you're just pre-paying $20 on your bill. assholes who have no business on 6th will not pay $20 every weekend just to loiter on 6th. 

to ensure public safety, how about groups are lead into the "fun zone" of 6th in shackles, resembling a chain gang but in normal street attire (pimp/hooker)? Then if they misbehave, apprehension would be quick and efficient. If they behave, they can be let out of the zone, but not all at once, in controlled and carefully supervised groups.  This would work and be a win win for everyone.