Trivia/History thread

Beau Vine

I'm reading Roger Angell's biography of David Cone, and out-of-nowhere, Chapter 14 has nothing to do with Cone.  Chapter 14 ("The Four-Forty") is all about a trivia question that fascinated Angell and the other New York writers...

I'm updating to add 4 players who have qualified since the book was published in 2001:

Who are the 14 MLB players with 4 letters or fewer in their surnames who have hit 40+ homers in a season?

The most obvious one is Babe Ruth.  The least obvious is Wally Post -- hit 40 for the Reds in 1955.

Will leave the rest to you chucklefucks...

Edited by Beau Vine

12 minutes ago, You don't know me said:

Sammy Sosa and Adam Dunn come to mind.

Big Donkey hit 40 5 years in a row, 6 total, finished with 462, but never finished higher than #21 in MVP voting.  

12 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

George Bell 

Wow, didn't expect Bell off the board so soon.  47 in 1987 (a fluke year for a lot of guys); his next highest was 31.

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

Big Donkey hit 40 5 years in a row, 6 total, finished with 462, but never finished higher than #21 in MVP voting.  

I think the high strike outs hurt him.  His best years were kind of prior (at least I think) to analytics really becoming an important part of baseball. 

ETA:  Playing for Cincinnati didn't help him either.  That's probably the biggest issue.

Edited by You don't know me

Cash was a damn good all around ball player.  when he retired his 377 home runs were the 4th most by AL left hander behind Ruth, Gehrig, and Williams.

his 61 season was pretty crazy but kind of lost to history because of another thing going on...

Editing for clarity...

OK, since y'all think you're so fucking smart, try this one on...

There are 6 guys in MLB history since 1940 who won the MVP without 1) getting any MVP or CY or RoY votes in previous seasons, or 2) winning any other major awards (GG, SS, etc.) or 3) playing in the ASG in previous seasons.  Who are they?  Not counting Lynn and Ichiro, who won as rookies.

I'm arbitrarily throwing the 1940 cutoff because MVP voting was so absurd in the old days (Ruth won 1 MVP and received votes in only 2 other seasons).  

Actually, I'll give y'all one: https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/k/konstji01.shtml

Now that he's out of the way, the other five have occurred during my lifetime.

Edited by Beau Vine

37 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Miguel Tejeda? And some guy named Kevin Mitchell. Legit never heard of him.

Is this another Dale Murphy bit?

And it's neither of these guys.  I edited the question to make it clearer -- Mitchell is a pretty good guess, but he finished 3rd in RoY.  Tejada got MVP votes the two previous seasons.  

You're looking for dudes who basically just came out of nowhere to win the MVP.  Take a look at the Konstanty b-r page I linked -- you're looking for someone who has nothing in the awards column until "MVP-1."

image.thumb.png.bc018776a58a7b40b1cc4cbd1dc6f3c8.png

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Helobious said:

And some guy named Kevin Mitchell. Legit never heard of him.

then you never played the (really shitty) RBI Baseball 2.  he was the only guy that had any pop.

10 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Editing for clarity...

OK, since y'all think you're so fucking smart, try this one on...

There are 6 guys in MLB history since 1940 who won the MVP without 1) getting any MVP or CY or RoY votes in previous seasons, or 2) winning any other major awards (GG, SS, etc.) or 3) playing in the ASG in previous seasons.  Who are they?  Not counting Lynn and Ichiro, who won as rookies.

I'm arbitrarily throwing the 1940 cutoff because MVP voting was so absurd in the old days (Ruth won 1 MVP and received votes in only 2 other seasons).  

Actually, I'll give y'all one: https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/k/konstji01.shtml

Now that he's out of the way, the other five have occurred during my lifetime.

does the bolded mean ever in the career, or just before the MVP?

9 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Googling kinda defeats the purpose. 

And not Tejada. 

Didn’t google, just looked up mvp winners on bref and clicked around on guys I’d never heard of. Although I do remember Tejeda when he played. He was in that kickass HR derby with Berkman in Houston in 2004.

• Beau Vine changed the title to Trivia/History thread