Trivia/History thread

Beau Vine

17 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

My first thought was Terry Pendleton, but it looks like he won a Gold Glove or two before ‘91.

I thought about him and Willie McGee who also had a GG and ROY votes.  Something about the 80s Cardinals.

41 minutes ago, cochamps said:

Zollo Versailles  and Dick Groat seem likely

After my guess I looked up some people and Versailles jumped out to me as who I thought possible would be it, but he actually got MVP votes, was an AS and GG winner years prior to him winning MVP 

Groat is incorrect also 

Edited by Scraps

3 hours ago, WBT said:

Morneau

This looks to be correct 

8 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

this feels like a willie hernandez situation though the question is very confusing to me. 

If I am looking at this correctly I think this is correct also 

1 hour ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

then you never played the (really shitty) RBI Baseball 2.  he was the only guy that had any pop.

does the bolded mean ever in the career, or just before the MVP?

Previously.  

Y'all already got Willie Hernandez, Vida Blue (loved that his A's jersey had "Vida" on the back), and Morneau (still amazes me that he beat out Jeter).

Willie:

image.thumb.png.4a6937eeeaa7dbd108b7574af98c3805.png

Vida:

image.thumb.png.6bdf51c40940b143e4cb29b05510a3fa.png

Morneau:

image.thumb.png.6178b722ad55dacbe122177e671d89b8.png

The other two guys are hitters.

27 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Previously.  

Y'all already got Willie Hernandez, Vida Blue (loved that his A's jersey had "Vida" on the back), and Morneau (still amazes me that he beat out Jeter).

Willie:

image.thumb.png.4a6937eeeaa7dbd108b7574af98c3805.png

Vida:

image.thumb.png.6bdf51c40940b143e4cb29b05510a3fa.png

Morneau:

image.thumb.png.6178b722ad55dacbe122177e671d89b8.png

The other two guys are hitters.

willie's season actually looks remarkably similar to the dude you started the question with (whom i had never heard of).

couple guys that were true mvps - their teams wouldn't have won without their specific contributions.  instead of just straight mass volume stats on a team that doesn't suck, which is what the award has morphed into.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

this made me scroll down the 1974 mvp list.  jack billingham finished 16 in mvp with a negative WAR.  

I frequently go to b-r and look at old award voting just to amuse myself with shit like that.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Scraps said:

The AL vote had 4 OAK players and 2 TEX players as the top 6 lol 

OAK was in the middle of their dynasty and that was the first season of my life when TEX wasn't mathematically eliminated in June, so not surprising.  

Without looking, probably the least-deserving of those 6 was the one who won.  But he led the league in RBI, which back then meant he had to win.  Fergie was definitely more valuable than Burroughs, though.  

name the only 5 players to hit 100 home runs with 3 different teams.  hint all from 1960+.  Thanks reserve clause!  if you google its easy. so no googlin'

bonus: name last pitcher to throw a no hitter and hit a home run in the same game.

10 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Finally caved and looked it up.  Should have thought up one of the two remaining, would never have gotten the other one

Glad I finally looked it up, as I would have wasted all day trying to think of the 5th guy I've never even heard of

2 hours ago, ocugolf said:

Since Rickey Henderson retired with 1406 stolen bases, there have been 3 players that have reached half that many steals.  Name them.

Billy Hamilton (which I got) is the only person that fits this criteria in the big leagues. Obviously, Vince Coleman and Tim Raines got there, but they were retired before Rickey…everyone else over 700 played decades ago.

9 minutes ago, Scraps said:

He didn't say whole career after Rickey retired.

It has to be someone who retired after 2003, but was getting steals while Rickey was still playing.

At least thats how I comprehend this

Agreed. Here’s the top 10 list (includes all players over 700 steals):

Rickey Henderson

Lou Brock

Billy Hamilton

Ty Cobb

Tim Raines (retired 2002)

Vince Coleman (retired 1997)

Arlie Latham

Eddie Collins

Max Carey

Honus Wagner

Which one (much less three) of those guys retired after Rickey?

Edited by IDIOTsavant
Fucking phone typing
  • Like 1

• Beau Vine changed the title to Trivia/History thread