Trivia/History thread

Beau Vine

55 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

I feel like Nelly Cruz was with Seattle and the Twins long enough to get 100 at each.   I'm going with him.

He was my guess. He got to 76 with MIN. 2020 was a shortened season although I'm not sure he would have gotten to 100 either way. 

9 minutes ago, ocugolf said:

More like I’m an idiot. I meant to say 2. Hamilton easy one. Tim Raines last appeared like 9 days after Rickey retired. My apologies. I’ll do better. 

yeah you are all kinds of fucked up.  

Raines retired the year before Rickey not 9 days after.  

Billy Hamilton the guy from our lifetime only has 317 steals.  

Billy Hamilton the guy who died in 1940 has 911 

Ban user 

• Like 1

Gave up and googled the 5th 100 HR with 3 teams guy and I also hadn't heard of him.  So the 5 in chronological order are:

Spoiler

Reggie Jackson, Darrell Evans, Arod, Jim Thome, and Adrian Beltre 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

How have y’all not heard of him?! 

No shit, Darrell Evans played for about 20 years.   IIRC, Bill James once called him the most underrated player in MLB history.  If people had valued OBP instead of BA when he played, he'd likely be in the HoF.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I would have only been aware of baseball his last few years and I was still pretty much Astros/NL only at that time.  Of course I now know about plenty of guys from before I was born but somehow I don't remember ever coming across him before.  I probably do have a couple of copies of his '87 Topps though. 

5 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

How have y’all not heard of him?! 

because he played in the era of some great 3rd Basemen(end of Robinson and Santo, Schmidt, Brett, beginning of Boggs, even Rose played some 3rd, even Molitor is in as a 3B)  and didn't really hit for a decent average in an era that rewarded it, average fielder also.  Kind of like Simmons and catchers. You could say the late 60's to mid 80's were the salad days for third sackers.

damn good player like Cey, Buddy Bell, Nettles just not HOF.

6 hours ago, Scraps said:

So in conclusion there are ZERO fucking players who have reached half as many steals as Rickey Henderson's total amount since he retired 

lol 

now that is a trivia question.  how many players have 703 stolen bases since Henderson retired?     ZERO

I have another one.  How many people have more career home runs since Barry Bonds retired?    Don't google.

D Evans is 12th all time in walks. He finished with 2200+ hits and 400+ homers and a career OPS+ of 119 (Beltre for his career was 116) with seasons of 156, 150, 138 and  135 and outside of his first and last seasons was only sub-100 once. 

He made two all-star games and never finished higher than 12th in MVP voting. 

Funny game. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

D Evans is 12th all time in walks. He finished with 2200+ hits and 400+ homers and a career OPS+ of 119 (Beltre for his career was 116) with seasons of 156, 150, 138 and  135 and outside of his first and last seasons was only sub-100 once. 

He made two all-star games and never finished higher than 12th in MVP voting. 

Funny game. 

He played back when everyone considered walks solely to be mistakes by the pitcher.

• 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, WBT said:

6?   I'm assuming there's some bullshit rule where the last out of the inning is made but the batter still gets a hit.  A runner getting hit by the ball maybe?

16 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

i think 6 too.

single

single 

single

two runners get out

single

single

single with runner interference preventing the run.

Nailed it, 6 is the answer. Simplest scenario is 2 singles, 2 pickoffs, 3 singles to load the bases, then a batted ball that hits a base runner for out #3 (batter is awarded a hit when this happens)

Just now, Scraps said:
2 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:
Maybe I haven't had enough coffee. We're talking Bonds, Sosa, and McGwire, right?

Nope. Maris. Sosa never led MLB because he was always behind Big Mac or Bonds in those years

Very cool. Hadn't though of that.

Then my answer is Jim Kaat. I think he gave up an HR to Ruth and Abner Doubleday too.

• Like 1

one of the first baseball trivia questions i remember, from decades ago, but i still like it - what's the fewest amount of pitches you need to throw a complete game.  full game, nothing weather related.  i think i heard it in the 80's or 90's.

the one that always accompanied it (though unrelated) - what are the only two days of the year without a major league sporting event?

14 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

one of the first baseball trivia questions i remember, from decades ago, but i still like it - what's the fewest amount of pitches you need to throw a complete game.  full game, nothing weather related.  i think i heard it in the 80's or 90's.

Isn't it 0 now with the no-pitch IW rule?

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

• Beau Vine changed the title to Trivia/History thread