Trivia/History thread

Beau Vine

17 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

one of the first baseball trivia questions i remember, from decades ago, but i still like it - what's the fewest amount of pitches you need to throw a complete game.  full game, nothing weather related.  i think i heard it in the 80's or 90's.

25?

8 innings. Give up a first pitch homer somewhere along the way.

lose a 1-0 complete game as the visitor.

Edited by UTexasFight
  • Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

25?

That would be my answer, too. But technically (and this is a trivia thread so someone has to be the jerk) the answer is zero pitches. Rule 5.04(b)(3) says that the umpire shall call a strike if the batter refuses to take his position in the batter's box. If it happens three times then he's out. Obviously you would never have a situation where that would happen but I think in the official statistics that would be a complete game, 9 IP, 0 pitches, 27 K.

edit - fixed the rule citation, also there are other ways for the batter to be declared out with no pitch thrown. Like switching batter's boxes after the pitcher is ready to pitch.

Edited by Huckleberry

19 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

25?

Yeah that's probably right, neglecting manfred walks.  Relatedly, I attended a game the Astros won 1-0 at home with 25 plate appearances.  The run came on a solo homer by the immortal Matt Downs and the only other base runner was erased on a double play.

https://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/2012/B06270HOU2012.htm

I wondered how many times in baseball history that a team had won a 9-inning game with 25 PAs but never could figure out a good way to search for that.

Edited by WBT
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

That would be my answer, too. But technically (and this is a trivia thread so someone has to be the jerk) the answer is zero pitches. Rule 6.02(c) says that the umpire shall call a strike if the batter refuses to take his position in the batter's box. If it happens three times then he's out. Obviously you would never have a situation where that would happen but I think in the official statistics that would be a complete game, 9 IP, 0 pitches, 27 K.

I can see some insane manager protesting by telling all of his players to do this. Can we dig up Billy Martin to test our theory?

6 minutes ago, WBT said:

Yeah that's probably right, neglecting manfred walks.  Relatedly, I attended a game the Astros won 1-0 at home with 25 plate appearances.  The run came on a solo homer by the immortal Matt Downs and the only other base runner was erased on a double play.

I wondered how many times in baseball history that a team had won a 9-inning game with 25 PAs but never could figure out a good way to search for that.

That box score is incredible

Also:

Time of Game: 1:58

27 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

25?

this is the correct answer. 

yes, the int'l walk blah blah, but this question is at least 30 years old and always thought it was kinda fun.

spare me all the other obscure rule nonsense, that's not how sports trivia works.

1 hour ago, WBT said:

good old Downs Syndrome.  I sometimes miss those 2011-2013 Astros.....ok maybe not

• 4 weeks later...
Just now, Scraps said:
7 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:
Who was the second MLB player to undergo Tommy John surgery?
(Astros fans should get this.)

Brent Strom

image.png.83cde0784967d783cf9b4debb8c841dc.png

"Brent Strom surgery" just doesn't have the same ring, does it?

Edited by Beau Vine

51 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

Only two right-handed hitters ever have had 10 consecutive seasons hitting over .300 and at least 25 homers.

One of them is a “yeah, of course” guy and the other is a “No shit? Well, he WAS a badass” guy….

One of them is Vlad, IIRC.  

I thought for sure the other would be Musial, but he had a 21-HR year sprinkled in.  Pujols.

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Ignatius said:

Only two right-handed hitters ever have had 10 consecutive seasons hitting over .300 and at least 25 homers.

1 hour ago, Ignatius said:

Yep, Vlad and Lou Gehrig. Willie Mays had like 1 season where he hit .297 or something like that otherwise he’d had killed this category

How is Pujols not a correct answer?  And how is Gehrig a correct answer, considering he wasn't a RH hitter?

image.png.000ffbdd2039aab359fa6f7ebde49446.png

Edited by Beau Vine

3 hours ago, Helobious said:

Gehrig wasn’t a righty. That’s a pretty unforgivable mistake imo. How do you not know that.

Lol delete post, burn user alive - like Beau Vine said, it’s Pujols. There’s some stat to which the answer is Vlad and Gehrig but clearly not this one. 

today, I consider myself the dumbest man on the face of the earth…

Edited by Ignatius
  • Like 1

This is probably going to be pretty simple(can only see possibly one guy being a problem, then again Eduardo Perez is struggling to answer it in 5 mins now....he seems to be on par with the intelligence level of many surly posters), but heard this this morning:

Name the 10 players who have at least 2 seasons of 50+ homers 

Obviously Judge joined it last night so there are 9 more

Edited by Scraps

• 5 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Scraps said:

I mean i got Nap Lajoie and Tris Speaker as random ass guesses but not nearly as confident in those

nope but speaker is in the right time frame for 2 of them.

speaker is kind of crazy.  dude is #5 all time BA  at .345 and only lead the league once.

2 minutes ago, Scraps said:
10 minutes ago, dcar00 said:
Altuve would make it 7.  I didn't have him in the original 6.  there is one more post 1950.

Well in that case i got one more guess...Willie Mays

nope on Mays lead both multiple times but never the same season.

• Like 1

• Beau Vine changed the title to Trivia/History thread