Trivia/History thread

Beau Vine

9 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Thank god he got it cause i was over here going through Devon White, Brady Anderson, Ray Durham and a bunch of other dudes who were not close that I kept thinking up

Hah, I was struggling with the 1990 cutoff.  

"No, Ozzie Smith was playing when I was in high school."

• Like 1

On 2/24/2023 at 8:47 AM, deadshank said:

Toby Harrah and Bump Wills accomplished this feat. It’s the only time it has ever happened in recorded MLB history.  

What did they do?

I have no clue but I am going to guess involved in 2 triple plays in the same game.  headed to the googles.  shocked I don't know since Harrah and Bump Wills were prime time Rangers fan for me growing up.

7 hours ago, dcar00 said:

I have no clue but I am going to guess involved in 2 triple plays in the same game.  headed to the googles.  shocked I don't know since Harrah and Bump Wills were prime time Rangers fan for me growing up.

I’m surprised nobody, excepting @IDIOTsavant, has offered an answer.  

16 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

The Harrah-Bump thing was back-to-back inside-the-parkers, right?

I remember watching that game when I was a kid.

Finally.   Yes, you are correct.  

You win nothing. 

I was watching the game, too.  Certainly a freak occurrence.   I think Lou Pinella had a screw come loose when he hit the wall. 

• Drool 1

7 hours ago, deadshank said:

Finally.   Yes, you are correct.  

You win nothing. 

I was watching the game, too.  Certainly a freak occurrence.   I think Lou Pinella had a screw come loose when he hit the wall. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

If the answer is Freddy "the rodent" McCombs who played in the 1800's I'm gonna be pissed. 

One of answers that no one has guessed was inducted in the very first HoF class, so there's no need to resort to Freddy McCombs already.

Another hint: The other guy was born and raised in Texas.

Another hint: With 2 leagues, there were 2 TC winners potentially per decade.

Edited by Beau Vine

1 minute ago, Beau Vine said:

One of answers that no one has guessed was inducted in the very first HoF class, so there's no need to resort to Freddy McCombs already.

Ty Cobb wanted to play, but none of us could stand the son-of-a-bitch when we were alive, so we told him to stick it! 

I mean, do you know how good you have to be to have a Riverbend named after you?

I don't know how to structure the search properly, but I bet there's a compelling trivia question about pitchers who led a decade in ERA, wins, and strikeouts.  

There was some standup comic I saw in Chicago decades ago.  He wasn't terribly funny but he had these bits that would ring true with baseball gurus.  Something about Cy Young pitching 137 complete games and all his losses, but all his wins.  Fuck.  doesn't come up in google.  He was a nobody but he played some clubs and I bet still has a following.  But he was literally the first and only comedian I've ever heard frame obscure baseball trivia into anything laughable, if even there were only a dozen of us chuckling.  /csb

10 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I mean, do you know how good you have to be to have a Riverbend named after you?

I don't know how to structure the search properly, but I bet there's a compelling trivia question about pitchers who led a decade in ERA, wins, and strikeouts.  

There was some standup comic I saw in Chicago decades ago.  He wasn't terribly funny but he had these bits that would ring true with baseball gurus.  Something about Cy Young pitching 137 complete games and all his losses, but all his wins.  Fuck.  doesn't come up in google.  He was a nobody but he played some clubs and I bet still has a following.  But he was literally the first and only comedian I've ever heard frame obscure baseball trivia into anything laughable, if even there were only a dozen of us chuckling.  /csb

That was the worst re-telling of a joke I have ever heard.

Tell me you don't know any comics without telling me you don't know any comics.  It's not a setup/punchline, it's not a joke.  It's a bit.  It's a humorous stream of consciousness.  This guy had this funny meandering about Cy Young and all his insane records and how baseball was so different back then and he kinda did it in this 1920's reporter styled voice.  It wasn't hilarious, but baseball trivia gurus would find it funny.  Never mind.  You're a Yankees fan.  Everything with you guys has to be so goddamn literal.  You have the nuance of a Derek Jeter strikeout and Steve Sax throw to first.  

13 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Tell me you don't know any comics without telling me you don't know any comics.  It's not a setup/punchline, it's not a joke.  It's a bit.  It's a humorous stream of consciousness.  This guy had this funny meandering about Cy Young and all his insane records and how baseball was so different back then and he kinda did it in this 1920's reporter styled voice.  It wasn't hilarious, but baseball trivia gurus would find it funny.  Never mind.  You're a Yankees fan.  Everything with you guys has to be so goddamn literal.  You have the nuance of a Derek Jeter strikeout and Steve Sax throw to first.  

To be fair Helobious thinks a dog saying "Demagiooooooo?" is hilarious.   As do i.  As do you.

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Beau Vine changed the title to Trivia/History thread