Just got back from Isla Mujeres

wood

So we have done Isla several times with friends.   We are taking the family this summer.  So two adults, two teenage boys and two teenage girls (3 bedrooms).  The wife is looking at VRBO for houses but just wanted to check and see if there was something that was outstanding for accommodations that we should be aware of.  Thanks.  

Like the thread title says, just got back.  This was our second trip and we had a great time again.  Stayed at Ixchel this time (thanks to @wood for the contact info for rental) for convenience and the 2bdr was perfect for our family, including two teenage yahoos.

@Mac8111, don't know if you've stayed at Ixchel since you've been there before, but while I don't think they have any 3bdr, I wonder if they could get you a 2bdr and 1bdr nearby?  It was just nice to be right on Playa Norte and at the end of Hidalgo so we could give them some autonomy at that age.  The last time we went, we got two rooms at Secreto and that worked well for us if you don't need to cook or mind doing the hotel thing instead of a house.

@GrahamCracker, again Ixchel was great for us but we were in family mode.  I thought the smaller place next door, Playa Arena, looked good if we go back on an adult trip, but obviously don't have first-hand experience.

Had a great time, ate and drank too much, didn't have a disappointing meal.  It was pretty busy being the holiday week, probably twice as busy as last year, but didn't have any issues with restaurant waits or lack of beach chairs.  Only thing that seemed to be running short was golf cart rentals.

Meal highlights included Qubano, which everyone loved and we would have eaten at multiple times if they'd been open more regularly.  Cuban sammich was the best I've ever had:

PXL_20211231_000114309_2.thumb.jpg.ac745124238d14268c0acae6490a578f.jpg

My 16yo demolished the tomahawk steak at Xantolo, which I thought would just be a novelty but was really damn good:

PXL_20220102_004851674_2.thumb.jpg.fd9c371e95a8f5e29e85ac7884557383.jpg

We went out on two half-day bottom fishing trips with Keen M (did sailfishing last year, so tried something different), and had a great time.  Hauled in a ton of yellowtail and triggerfish, which was a lot of fun for the boys.  I don't know what the whole saga of Ballyhoo is (read about it on here but it has been closed), but it is now reopened/rebooted or whatever on the dock.  It is now operated by the family that runs about half of Isla, I guess (Keen M, Secreto, Playa de Media Luna, etc.), and only opened about two weeks ago.  We ate dinner there twice after our fishing trips, and they were two of our favorite meals.  About 8 bucks per person to fix your catch family style is a pretty good deal, and it was an obscene amount of food.  Triggerfish ceviche was amazeballs.

PXL_20220101_005802167_2.thumb.jpg.680fcd795762755f305d76dd1fb3aec2.jpg

PXL_20220101_005936529_2.thumb.jpg.5dbcd11c767471ea2da464bb30603340.jpg

So another great trip.  Although I don't want to get into a rut and still hoping to try some different places, nobody in the family has any argument about a return trip in the future.

PXL_20211231_230620881_2.jpg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

7 hours ago, Damor said:

Like the thread title says, just got back.  This was our second trip and we had a great time again.  Stayed at Ixchel this time (thanks to @wood for the contact info for rental) for convenience and the 2bdr was perfect for our family, including two teenage yahoos.

@Mac8111, don't know if you've stayed at Ixchel since you've been there before, but while I don't think they have any 3bdr, I wonder if they could get you a 2bdr and 1bdr nearby?  It was just nice to be right on Playa Norte and at the end of Hidalgo so we could give them some autonomy at that age.  The last time we went, we got two rooms at Secreto and that worked well for us if you don't need to cook or mind doing the hotel thing instead of a house.

@GrahamCracker, again Ixchel was great for us but we were in family mode.  I thought the smaller place next door, Playa Arena, looked good if we go back on an adult trip, but obviously don't have first-hand experience.

Had a great time, ate and drank too much, didn't have a disappointing meal.  It was pretty busy being the holiday week, probably twice as busy as last year, but didn't have any issues with restaurant waits or lack of beach chairs.  Only thing that seemed to be running short was golf cart rentals.

Meal highlights included Qubano, which everyone loved and we would have eaten at multiple times if they'd been open more regularly.  Cuban sammich was the best I've ever had: My 16yo demolished the tomahawk steak at Xantolo, which I thought would just be a novelty but was really damn good:

We went out on two half-day bottom fishing trips with Keen M (did sailfishing last year, so tried something different), and had a great time.  Hauled in a ton of yellowtail and triggerfish, which was a lot of fun for the boys.  I don't know what the whole saga of Ballyhoo is (read about it on here but it has been closed), but it is now reopened/rebooted or whatever on the dock.  It is now operated by the family that runs about half of Isla, I guess (Keen M, Secreto, Playa de Media Luna, etc.), and only opened about two weeks ago.  We ate dinner there twice after our fishing trips, and they were two of our favorite meals.  About 8 bucks per person to fix your catch family style is a pretty good deal, and it was an obscene amount of food.  Triggerfish ceviche was amazeballs.

So another great trip.  Although I don't want to get into a rut and still hoping to try some different places, nobody in the family has any argument about a return trip in the future.

Glad the 2BR worked out for you. They're pretty awesome. I think (but don't hold me to this) that there may be some 3 or even 4BR penthouses up top, with hot tubs, etc. 

Re: Playa Arena, it looks very nice & comfortable, but iirc it's quite a pretty pricey (not surly 1%).

Heading out to Isla Mujeres next week.  Curious for those that have traveled recently how you handled the Covid testing for the return trip.

First time out for my wife and I, but we're going with a couple who has been before.  Staying in one of the penthouses at the Ixchel 2.  Already got transportation and a golf cart lined up.  Need to find a nice fishing trip while we're there.

We have only been fishing with Keen M, but have had great experiences every time.  A half day is good for us, although we're fishing pretty casually.  It can get rough this time of year, so if anyone is remotely disposed to seasickness, take scopolamine patches. The Lilly M, although one of their smaller boats, has the most open cabin.

COVID testing was the biggest thing stressing me out on our trip.  We were all as fully vaccinated and boosted as possible, but Omicron doesn't care, so my nightmare was someone testing positive and getting stuck (a messier issue with kids).  Ixchel does have a plan for reduced price isolation accommodations if needed.

There are multiple places offering walk-in antigen testing.  I have no idea how rigorously they do it (obviously their incentive is for you to be negative), but being a control freak I elected to take tests with us with online proctoring.  They are Abbott BinaxNow tests from emed.com.  You get a result/QR code in the app you can show at airline check-in (although it confused the guy at SWA, who just said "whatever" and sent us on).

To be sure I was prepared for any disaster, I made everyone test 2 days before we left, using regular BinaxNow kits we had.  I won't get into how dumb I think it is to restrict travel at the current Omicron stage of the game, and I'm only a moderately awful person, but it would have been stupid easy to remove the test guts from one of our prior negative tests and put it into the "official" casing with its QR code had we needed to.

• Hook 'Em 1

You probably shouldn't stress.  Stressing about low-probability things largely out of my control is one of my things that I do.  Hopefully, the rules/situation will change by summer, and we were not in any place I'd consider high-risk once we got out of the transfer van to the ferry, what with all the outside dining and activities.

And if you order those emed.com kits as well as some regular BinaxNow ones, like I said it would be ridiculously easy to 'modify' your results if your ethics allow it.  I'd imagine one could pay a "fee" for a negative re-test down there somewhere, but I have no firsthand knowledge of this.

(And to be clear, while I don't love that idea, I've personally reached the point where our family has done all we can about COVID, and I think that for the the current situation, testing asymptomatic travelers going from a lower risk area to a higher one is of dubious value.  I would not have considered allowing anyone symptomatic to travel.)

On 1/13/2022 at 10:59 AM, George said:

Heading out to Isla Mujeres next week.  Curious for those that have traveled recently how you handled the Covid testing for the return trip.

First time out for my wife and I, but we're going with a couple who has been before.  Staying in one of the penthouses at the Ixchel 2.  Already got transportation and a golf cart lined up.  Need to find a nice fishing trip while we're there.

The front desk at Ixchel will get you someone to come run a test by appointment.

Keen M charters is pretty good, but my best sailfishing trip ever was with captain Jeff Ross

https://www.obsession-charters.com/mexico.html

• Hook 'Em 1

So we went out with Keen M today. The fishing sucked, but the crew and boat were top notch. We started out trolling and brought in some Bonita, but nothing else. All the boats in the vicinity were reporting shit hauls. 

Moved to bottom fishing and had a little more success. Caught some snapper, trigger, and a couple of others. 

Keen M has a restaurant (different name, but appears family owned and staffed with People in Keen M shirts) on site. They ended up taking our fish and preparing a really good meal. Ended up with 3 different prep methods on the fish, plus a plate of ceveche. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

We just made it to Costa Mujeres and are taking the ferry over on Tuesday. It will be our first time visiting Isla Mujeres

Our driver recommended going to a resort and purchasing a day pass. He didn’t suggest a specific one and said they’re all great

Wife & I are here with no kids, so family friendly isn’t a consideration.

What should we do for a long day?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Isla Update:   

We took the whole family to Isla the first week of June for a little graduation trip.   Used USA Charters from the airport to the ferry.  Ciro's delivered the six person golf cart to the house.  Loaded up at the grocery store.  

The exchange rate at the place at the Ferry was $18.40.  Most of the restaurants in town were doing $18.00.  

Stayed at a house down south, behind the Borracho Burro Cantina, which is just north of The Joint.  Great house.  Plenty of AC.  Great view.  Pool.  

Activities: 

The kids did the Dolphin Discovery thing.  The cost of the picture package was criminal but my wife can't resist pictures.  

We did a snorkel tour the next day.  Everyone enjoyed it despite the high winds.  It included a trip to the underwater museum which I thought was overrated.  Everything is covered with algae and moss at this point.  I don't believe it was worth the long drive out there and I would pass on doing underwater museum in the future.  Afterwards, the Captain stops at "Tiburon Beach" were you hangout while they cook you a lunch on the grill and you can get in the holding pen with a Nurse Shark and take a picture with it.  Food wasn't great but it was something.  We ended up just catching a taxi back to the house instead of riding in the boat all the way to the marina.  

One day we did "Underwater Wing Diving" which ended up being really cool.  If you are not familiar, google Underwater Wing Diving Isla Mujeres and check out the videos.  You have to have good arm strength to do it.  The older kids really liked it. The 12 year old girl didn't because she couldn't get enough down angle on the wings.  Really cool experience and they had a Go Pro video to film you.   They took us to Playa Norte afterwards and we drank while they made ceviche and guacamole. 

Last day we grabbed a day bed at Playa Norte for $25 and relaxed.  (Park by North Garden and walk towards the beach). A little less crowded than down there by Ixchel.  

Food & Drink: 

Javi's Cantina - always solid. Just so hot in that courtyard.  

Bastos - food is good as usual but man their neighborhood is even worse than I remember.  Nasty standing water in the street (it hadn't rained) and a guy was cleaning some smelly fish about three houses down.  It reeked.  

Cafe Mogagua - really good breakfast and coffee spot by Javi's.  Hadn't been here before.  Would go back.  

Mango Cafe - we went twice for Coconut french toast.  

Oscar's - we stopped there on our first day as we waited to check into the house.  It was average.  

Coco - got stuck here because it was open before one of our excursions and a lot of places weren't open yet.  It wasn't good.  

Pizza Mikes - kids wanted take home pizza after the wing diving and we grabbed Pizza Mikes.  Was decent enough.  Good flavor and wasn't overly greasy.  

De Nucci's - very fancy Italian restaurant that opened up 3 yrs ago.  I wasn't planning on going there but since it was close to our house and we didn't want to drive all the way into town, we ended up making reservations one night.  I gotta say I was pretty damn good food.  Definitely not Isla prices.  They had a wine list with stuff other than Mexican wine.  Really nice bathrooms. Owner came by and chatted.  Probably the most complete service we have had from a waiter while on the island.  

Samura - we had picked this place out for our last night out.  Beautiful restaurant with this huge tree in the middle with a bunch of lanterns.  Check out the pictures online. DJ playing music.   Asian menu.  Again, American prices.  The food we ordered was pretty good. Nothing earth shattering on the sushi menu but it was fine.  Had a decent cocktail menu.  

La Bella - still the best Pina Colada on the island.  

The Joint - grabbed some frozen mojitos to go.  

Borracho Burro - I was not familiar with this place previously but we had a few drinks there since we could walk there. Outdoor cantina with a stage and a live band playing.   Frozen drinks were good.  They used real fruit and not a bunch of mix.  Worth the stop if you are driving around.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Just found out today that that some former co-workers/gals are going there this weekend. They are wanting to party one night in Cancun, but not staying in the Hotel Zone. Just the island.  I don't have a clue as I have stayed in Cancun and Cozumel multiple x's, but not Isla and they have a question per the ferry schedule.

Anyone have an idea when the last ferry from the mainland runs out to the island? 

( and if it works out, I'll see abut posting any pics she might have/get for you A-hole/pervs here....pretty rocking early-mid 30's bod)

28 minutes ago, BillyGoatHill said:

Just found out today that that some former co-workers/gals are going there this weekend. They are wanting to party one night in Cancun, but not staying in the Hotel Zone. Just the island.  I don't have a clue as I have stayed in Cancun and Cozumel multiple x's, but not Isla and they have a question per the ferry schedule.

Anyone have an idea when the last ferry from the mainland runs out to the island? 

( and if it works out, I'll see abut posting any pics she might have/get for you A-hole/pervs here....pretty rocking early-mid 30's bod)

i want to say 10ish, but you can go to their website. ultraferry i believe

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, El Tri said:

jimmy carter page GIF

Yep. I looked up the ferry schedule after posting.

The page/site I found has one leaving the terminal at 1130pm ( maybe earlier if leaving from the Hotel Zone). I hadn't done that one (Mujeres) but used the same company for Cozumel a few years ago. The daughter (no pics) and her hubby moved to Cabo last year, so now we are just going there (rough, I know). 

Appreciate your response.

• 1 month later...
On 6/22/2022 at 12:30 PM, El Tri said:

I use online Happy Shuttle Cancun to avoid airport hassles.  Get picked up and dropped at the ferry, and I can buy ferry tickets in advance to avoid that wait. 

Leaving tomorrow for a week.   I am so ready to do nothing. 
Been here for a week, headed home tomorrow
Hot as balls and hasnt been too windy. Did whale sharks yesterday, was fun but too many boats in the area. Saw several giant manta rays breaching too, didn't know they did that and got to swim one which was bad ass.

It's been about hears since I've been here, changed some but thays expected. Seaweed is starting to show, ts not too bad on the beach but very noticeable on the ride out to the whale sharks.

Off to Javis for one last dinner and stroll down hidalgo for some random ritss
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Smax said:

Been here for a week, headed home tomorrow
Hot as balls and hasnt been too windy. Did whale sharks yesterday, was fun but too many boats in the area. Saw several giant manta rays breaching too, didn't know they did that and got to swim one which was bad ass.

It's been about hears since I've been here, changed some but thays expected. Seaweed is starting to show, ts not too bad on the beach but very noticeable on the ride out to the whale sharks.

Off to Javis for one last dinner and stroll down hidalgo for some random ritss

Diving next Monday and Tuesday.  I need to sober up by then….maybe. 

Had a nice 24 hours with a lady whose. beer googles made me look better.  Too late!   Tequila, Indica and drunk sex made her have to struggle with a not thin fossil fucker issue

B95A1296-2E33-48D0-A28E-D3DC5955EE9F.gif.f63fed1eed7b6fdad5959d4c591d92b5.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Smax said:
16 hours ago, VABuckeye said:
We’ve been this time of year. Hot as balls.  We prefer late February/ early March.  Perfect weather. 

Agree but she wanted to swim with whale sharks so...

Go to La Paz next time. Whale shark season is October to May and the boat ride from the marina is 20 minutes.

And unlike QRoo, it's regulated, they don't allow 100 boats to swarm the sharks.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/18/2022 at 8:02 PM, VABuckeye said:

We’ve been this time of year. Hot as balls.  We prefer late February/ early March.  Perfect weather. 

Damn, hard to stay hydrated.  Hot as Mercury’s hot parts.   Jeeze it was hot today.   Have a whale shark swimming and another dive trip next week which should bring relief.   Anything but pool/sunbathing in this ridiculous f’n heat.  Good thing I like dim bars and all booze and beers. 

Just finished a two tank dive.   My dive buddy today wound up being a 19 year old Brit chick (no pics….I would, but have no pics) who just hit Cancun/Isla from Peru.  She is staying at a Hostel and I assume your typical broke-ass teen tourist.  I mean, she was looking at the dive shop T-shirts but stopped the moment she saw the price tag.   I told her if we’re gonna be dive buddies, we had to have the same shirts - and bought her one.

She was in Machu Picchu two days ago. Machu Picchu is off my bucket list due to my old crappy lungs.   My advice is to go EVERYWHERE and do EVERYTHING when young and able.    Surly parents should encourage this too. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

Just finished a two tank dive.   My dive buddy today wound up being a 19 year old Brit chick (no pics….I would, but have no pics) who just hit Cancun/Isla from Peru.  She is staying at a Hostel and I assume your typical broke-ass teen tourist.  I mean, she was looking at the dive shop T-shirts but stopped the moment she saw the price tag.   I told her if we’re gonna be dive buddies, we had to have the same shirts - and bought her one.

She was in Machu Picchu two days ago. Machu Picchu is off my bucket list due to my old crappy lungs.   My advice is to go EVERYWHERE and do EVERYTHING when young and able.    Surly parents should encourage this too. 

Take her to Cozumel for some real reef diving or for a couple of cenote dives around Tulum....as buddies of course. Then for some after dive buddy drinks. 

Hopefully you can figure it out from there.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/22/2022 at 9:14 PM, rage-a-holic said:

Take her to Cozumel for some real reef diving or for a couple of cenote dives around Tulum....as buddies of course. Then for some after dive buddy drinks. 

Hopefully you can figure it out from there.

Dude, Daddy issues is one thing.  Grandaddy issues….not so much. lol

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Damn. I just checked the live webcam for the first time in a long time and I has a serious sad...

I've posted about the beach erosion on Playa Norte before, but got damn, it's really fucking shit up now. Look to the right, right next to Chimbo's. The beach has receded probably another 15-20 just since we weree there in March. Fucking hell.

Isla Mujeres live, Isla Mujeres - Webcams of Mexico - Google Chrome 1_15_2023 5_31_02 PM.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...