The 150th Open | St Andrews | 10-17 July 2022

LTtxfan

19 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Didn’t  FIGJAM and Bones part ways because they disagreed about club choice on the 17th at The Players, Phil went with what Bones wanted, and came up short?  I’m sure there was more going on there, but I read somewhere that was the spark that lit the fire.

I'm guessing Phil had other demons at play as well, but it's just conjecture (until Bones writes his tell all). Rory essentially said it got to the point that he worried his friendship with his caddy would sour because everything was so hyper focused on golf decisions and he didn't want to not be friends with his caddy. And his caddy wasn't interested in being just a "carry the bag" caddy. So before it got bad, they parted and Rory picked up Harry to just haul his sticks.

3 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

In this century only Tiger has been the machine that has been able to see that kind of supernova success in a 2-3 year period and sustain it any longer that that. 

Well I suppose this is technically true, it's more like two galactically different decades. Yes Tiger won his Masters in a brilliant if last-ditch effort in '19 but he really was mostly shit after 2009 and didn't do much of anything for the second 10 years of the century. Even in his 2019 Masters year he missed the cut in two of the four majors and finished 21st in the USO. I think somewhere in there he managed to crawl back up to the top 25 golfers for a very brief period before tumbling again. The magnitude of that isolated Masters win certainly propped them up even higher in golf history, but technically it was a lone desert island of only one major win in over 12 years. You know, like Larry Mize. And except for a second in the PGA a few years back, he never got closer than being in a pack fairly far back tied for 3rd in any major for the second decade. And it got noticeably worse after 2012.

I think it's more accurate to say that Tiger saw that success around the turn of the century but only briefly afterwards.

It boggles the mind to think what he would have achieved had he not become a narcissistic shithead, but oh well them's the breaks.

My point on Tiger, or Jack for that matter is that they sustained winning the big ones for more than just a 2-3 year pop.  Discounting 2019 you have at least one major for Tiger in 1997, 1999, 2000,  2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008.  If he followed the arc of the others it would have all dried up around 2000/2001.

Jack was 62, 63, 65, 66, 67, 70, 71, 73, 75, 78 and 80 (discounting 86). If the late ones offset it's that extra leg kick in 78 and 80 that separate him and Tiger. And yes who knows what Tiger would have done from 2009-2015 if he hadn't decided to go play Navy Seal and bang Waffle House Hos.

Then you got Phil as a tweener who just didn't ignite until he was farther along in his career age wise.

Edited by Surly Bevo

• 4 months later...