4 hours ago, DaggerHorns said:

1 Quintillion

scientific notation asshole

10^27

1 octillion

Edited by High Plains Drifter
berlinerbear wins

6 hours ago, sidis said:

imaging of the galactic cluster is from approximately 4.6 billion years ago.  slightly older than the age of our lovely home planet and about the time armybrat was born.

4 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Due to distance variance of objects in the image. 

This will help study objects out in the outer reaches of the observable universe. Since the space between is expanding faster than the speed of light the observable universe is constantly shrinking for us and we'll never have any way to know what's outside of it. 

200.gif?cid=95b27944f0833d2cfae3217485c3

14 hours ago, sidis said:

imaging of the galactic cluster is from approximately 4.6 billion years ago.  slightly older than the age of our lovely home planet and about the time armybrat was born.

Reading through the links in your OP link, it sounds like some of the stuff apparent in the image is behind the cluster, and from an even earlier time, since the cluster somehow acts as a lens.  I would like to know how old that stuff is, but it doesn't say.

1 hour ago, ClubWhatever said:

Reading through the links in your OP link, it sounds like some of the stuff apparent in the image is behind the cluster, and from an even earlier time, since the cluster somehow acts as a lens.  I would like to know how old that stuff is, but it doesn't say.

a lot of it is behind the actual galactic cluster...but the cluster is so gravitationally dense, that it is going to create a significant amount of lensing for things behind the cluster that you can see thanks to the space-time bending created by the intense gravity.  here is a pretty helpful visual to understand it.

Gravitational-lensing-galaxyApril12_2010

as for how distant the objects behind the SMACS 0723 cluster are, that wasn't really part of any of the information released for some reason.  but it is certainly knowable as the lensing doesn't really affect the redshift of the object.  i just haven't seen it.  but it is certainly much more than 4.6 billion light years away...probably in the 10-11 billion light year distance range if had to venture a guess.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

in terms of some of the more commonly understandable scientific applications of the the jwst's enhanced capabilities, its sensitivity for purposes of measuring changes in the light curve for distant stars as planetary transits occur will give us a much greater ability to locate and identify exoplanets.  but even more importantly, getting a greater sense of detail related to their composition.

main_image_exoplanet_wasp.jpg

3 minutes ago, RamjetFDO said:

I love this one, as one of my courses in my Master's program was titled "Interacting Galaxies" - and was every bit as awesome as the title implied.  The final project for the course was setting up these large point-models to simulate a pair of rotating spiral galaxies and run it through mathematical models to show how the gravitational pull of larger galaxies would literally rip apart smaller ones, but if they were "similar" on a gross scale in total stellar mass/galactic core size, they'd form those wonderful paired spirals like you see in the center of this image.

Makes one wonder about how the inevitable interactions between our Milky Way, the Triangulum and Andromeda would appear to those viewing from afar.

Just now, Braff Zacklin said:

Makes one wonder about how the inevitable interactions between our Milky Way, the Triangulum and Andromeda would appear to those viewing from afar.

Pretty much like that image ... we're comparable in size to Andromeda, but I would bet M33 gets torn apart by Andromeda before we tussle.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

So is all that orange stuff made out of stars?

more the reverse...the orange stuff is basically a nursery for creating stars.  this is the carina nebula...only about 8,500 light years away.  that image is showing you everything from massive O type stars to the closest to newborn stars as we have observed.  in that pic, there are star clusters that are only half a million years old.

30 minutes ago, RamjetFDO said:

Pretty much like that image ... we're comparable in size to Andromeda, but I would bet M33 gets torn apart by Andromeda before we tussle.

in one of my undergrad ast classes at ut in 1999, we had to present much more superficial efforts than what you described but i did mine on the impending collision between the milky way and andromeda 4 billion years from now.  i found this really cool (at the time) simulator for galactic collisions that jpl had made.  back then, we still thought andromeda was 2-3x our size so it was a pretty cool, violent collision in 2D. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Image No.5

STSCI-J-p22031a-4000px.jpg

similar image in near infrared.

what's cool about this one is that you can actually see the accretion disks around the new stars from which planets will form.  that is fucking crazy.

FXecoQJX0AcoFnK.thumb.jpg.f10c6d03f3f866691d50228d61c1cd12.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Have formed, I’m assuming. 

no!!  that's what is insane.  or at least not a mere 8,500 years ago.  you can actually resolve the protoplanetary accretion disks on some of the stars 8500 light years away.

protoplanetary disks usually take a few million years to resolve into planets if they do so.

here is an image of a disk from the alma radio telescope of a new star that's only 450 light years away.  these are 20x as far.

_78796825_hltau_nrao.jpg

Edited by sidis
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

Having coffee with an astrophysicist right now. His comment is that todays photos are 1) objectively cool, 2) most important because they show us Webb is really working at high resolution, and 3) being used for good politics and fundraising, which is always important.
Cynical bastard. That’s why we get along.

• Hook 'Em 3

It's already been noted that because the telescopes are looking at light sources from far far away, what's captured on the photos are remnant cosmic configurations:  it's literally looking into the past.

So this is the next image produced by the telescope, capturing the year 1948:

10-No.-5.jpg

44 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

It's already been noted that because the telescopes are looking at light sources from far far away, what's captured on the photos are remnant cosmic configurations:  it's literally looking into the past.

So this is the next image produced by the telescope, capturing the year 1948:

10-No.-5.jpg

my 3 year old niece can do that.

3 hours ago, sidis said:

similar image in near infrared.

what's cool about this one is that you can actually see the accretion disks around the new stars from which planets will form.  that is fucking crazy.

FXecoQJX0AcoFnK.thumb.jpg.f10c6d03f3f866691d50228d61c1cd12.jpg

Where should I be looking to see said discs? Are they the darker swirls near the stars?

7 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

happened across some information on this and thought i would share since you asked.  from the original image, one of the more distant objects that was resolved had a redshift indicating a distance of 13.1 billion light years.  so my swag of 10-11 billion light years was off.  even more amazingly, the nirspec spectroscopy measurement tool was able to read its composition.  so we know that 13 billion years ago, this galaxy was comprised of a lot of hydrogen, oxygen, and neon elements.  no surprise, but still incredible.

FXeUAAVXwAAFndV.jpg.165f444a2b6f6235539a2a74282d1733.jpg

STScI-01G7NH26MEXD859Z07ZSV9VN2W.png

Edited by sidis
  • Hook 'Em 2

26 minutes ago, Hate said:

Where should I be looking to see said discs? Are they the darker swirls near the stars?

hate, you won't be able to see them on the image that i posted.  the resolution is too small.  go to this link:

https://webbtelescope.org/contents/media/images/2022/031/01G780WF1VRADDSD5MDNDRKAGY?news=true

and download the 50MB, full resolution image on the left side of the page.  when you get that, open it and zoom.  the protoplanetary disks will look like this in the image whe you zoom in.

2059870813_Screenshot2022-07-12151129.thumb.png.8625d3ecd394d5ca5d9e10bcfa644b3e.png

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

more on gravitation lensing.  this is pretty awesome actually.  what appears to be two highly lensed galaxy arcs are actually one galaxy that we see twice from two angles because it is being lensed spherically.  confirmed that they are the same through identical spectroscopy.  that is so fucking cool.  damn gravity, you crazy.

STScI-01G7NGV29E624SS6HB74MPWTVF.png

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

• sidis changed the title to The James Webb Space Telescope Thread