Abbott / ERCOT

Nice Guy Eddie

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I thought the ERS paid companies that have generating capacity to fire up their generators to help lessen the load. Or are you saying that the ERS also pays companies to turn off their electricity usage?

Correct, its both load and generation as they both solve grid stability issues.  On the grid there is no storage of power so any generation being put on has to be matched with load taking it off.  Either too much load or too much generation lead to same imbalance blackout type situations.

3 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

And for grid stability, over generation is just as big a problem as under generation and having larger and larger loads that can be quickly offlined is a huge benfit much the same as being able to quickly take wind/solar generation off on the generation side.

Yes and what I'm saying is: when we have excess energy, we should be finding a way to store it rather than bringing in more consumers to burn it up. Rather than subsidizing the risk out of getting to your ROI on your cryptofarm, our public utilities should be subsidizing energy storage facilities and pouring our tax dollars into something that benefits everyone who uses the grid, rather than just the tiny slice of enterprise-scale cryptominers. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Correct, its both load and generation as they both solve grid stability issues.  On the grid there is no storage of power so any generation being put on has to be matched with load taking it off.  Either too much load or too much generation lead to same imbalance blackout type situations.

Why aren't all power consumers, including homes, offered the ability to share in lowering electricity usage? If Greg wants to pay me to raise my home temp, I would be happy to do so. Instead it sounds like a system where the haves get paid, and the have-nots are asked to sacrifice.

With the smart meters in place, this wouldn't be a big problem to implement for consumers.

• Hook 'Em 4

If the grid fell apart tomorrow, the Republicans would still win Texas in 2022 because: GAS PRICES, CRT, HUNTER BIDEN, INFLATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And the 2023 TX LEG session would look like this:

Bill #1: Abortion
Bill #2: CRT
Bill #3: Border
Bill #4: More loosening of gun restrictions
Bill #4,567: Gun control
Bill #4,568: power grid

Edited by Js1
  • Rage+1 2

11 minutes ago, Js1 said:

If the grid fell apart tomorrow, the Republicans would still win Texas in 2022 because: GAS PRICES, CRT, HUNTER BIDEN, INFLATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You forgot “property tax reform” at 4566 and transgender sports/drag shows at 2

Edited by bluto
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, bluto said:

True, I also forgot the likely trigger laws for Lawrence, Obergefell and Griswold.  Gotta get them on the books for when the SCCFOTUS (Supreme Court Christian Fascists of the United States) "correct" those. 

Edited by Js1

3 minutes ago, bluto said:

You don't think that having trans athletes participating in high school sports isn't the most pressing issue of the day? You sound like a Commie.  - Danny Goeb

23 minutes ago, Js1 said:

And that's why the Texpatriates thread is booming. 

32 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Yes and what I'm saying is: when we have excess energy, we should be finding a way to store it rather than bringing in more consumers to burn it up. Rather than subsidizing the risk out of getting to your ROI on your cryptofarm, our public utilities should be subsidizing energy storage facilities and pouring our tax dollars into something that benefits everyone who uses the grid, rather than just the tiny slice of enterprise-scale cryptominers. 

Fully agree that storage is next big thing and it's coming, but technology is making breakthroughs in large scale grid storage currently so might need 1-2 yrs before can really build out and deploy.  Even with large storage capability though, fast - sizeable - regional load reduction ability would be a huge benefit to grid stability.  Granted large scale storage could reduce that need but that is at least a decade away.

Just now, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Fully agree that storage is next big thing and it's coming, but technology is making breakthroughs in large scale grid storage currently so might need 1-2 yrs before can really build out and deploy.  Even with large storage capability though, fast - sizeable - regional load reduction ability would be a huge benefit to grid stability.  Granted large scale storage could reduce that need but that is at least a decade away.

I agree that improving our ability to reduce regional load would improve overall grid stability. However, that only helps if you improve regional load reduction for existing loads - not bringing in gigawatts of new consumers in the hopes that supply-side jesus will save you from driving off the cliff.

All these crypto companies are putting the cart before the horse - they're bringing in gigawatts of new load BEFORE their """investments""" have a chance to even break ground on additional storage or generation. Weird how they're prioritizing their own wellbeing over the public wellbeing, huh?

• Hook 'Em 2

44 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Get real, there's no way gun control wouldn't be at the absolute bottom of the list

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, The Royal We said:

You want to come profit off of our cheap electricity, great, but you assume the same risks as ordinary Texans trying to not melt or freeze in their own homes.

Thing is, the last time I checked the average electric rate in TX is the same as the average price of the neighboring states.  Some are higher, some are lower, but all have a lot less risk of getting your shit shut down.

• Hook 'Em 1

55 minutes ago, Captainant said:

I agree that improving our ability to reduce regional load would improve overall grid stability. However, that only helps if you improve regional load reduction for existing loads - not bringing in gigawatts of new consumers in the hopes that supply-side jesus will save you from driving off the cliff.

All these crypto companies are putting the cart before the horse - they're bringing in gigawatts of new load BEFORE their """investments""" have a chance to even break ground on additional storage or generation. Weird how they're prioritizing their own wellbeing over the public wellbeing, huh?

There are still people out here defending capitalism

So, how close are we to the grid actually failing?

What I mean is, when people say, "it's going to fail" or, "it's a when, not an if," are they talking about the next few years or the next few days?

I.e. is it time to add to the bottled water collection right now?

9 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

So, how close are we to the grid actually failing?

What I mean is, when people say, "it's going to fail" or, "it's a when, not an if," are they talking about the next few years or the next few days?

I.e. is it time to add to the bottled water collection right now?

You can watch ERCOT's own #s here: https://www.ercot.com/gridmktinfo/dashboards/supplyanddemand

As of now, they show some supply concerns between 8 and 10pm tonight.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, TexArcher said:

Okay, per the Ercot link above, Armageddon will be here around 3:00 pm today.

So, if you don't want to jerk off in the hot and the dark, you'd better get to it now.

I mean, if the power goes out, what else am I going to do?

On 7/12/2022 at 10:25 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Why aren't all power consumers, including homes, offered the ability to share in lowering electricity usage? If Greg wants to pay me to raise my home temp, I would be happy to do so. Instead it sounds like a system where the haves get paid, and the have-nots are asked to sacrifice.

With the smart meters in place, this wouldn't be a big problem to implement for consumers.

we had that

image.jpeg.bd6395dd1ddc14bbe11d4f573ac4a7cf.jpeg

2 hours ago, HiggyBaby said:

Sorry if discussed elsewhere already but perhaps this is part of the problem. Wind power being blamed during winter and summer extremes.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-07-11/texas-wind-power-is-failing-right-when-the-state-most-needs-it

ercot predicted this level of wind activity a week ago.  what ercot didn't predict was that 12 GW of "reliable" thermal would be offline. that information is in the twitter thread linked on the prior page.

it's pretty irresponsible of the authors of that to not bother mentioning that 12 GW of thermal was down. 

Edited by elfenix
  • Hook 'Em 4

ERCOT admits that their summer weather prediction has proven to be wrong. It's hotter than they anticipated. Obviously they expected it to be hot but I think we all agree this is hotter than a normal summer. 

With that being said, ERCOT should be prepared for summer heat that is in the realm of possibility. I would be willing to cut them slack if we were all facing an unpredicted 120 F days.

EDIT: ERCOT is saying that they don't expect rolling blackouts today but are issuing a request to conserve. Their online supply/demand chart shows otherwise unless it doesn't full show their capacity to bring power online. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

2 hours ago, HiggyBaby said:

Sorry if discussed elsewhere already but perhaps this is part of the problem. Wind power being blamed during winter and summer extremes.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-07-11/texas-wind-power-is-failing-right-when-the-state-most-needs-it

This message brought to you by The Fossil Fuel Burners Association of America.

42 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Sorry, but the only way this summer is "hotter than anticipated" is if they've been ignoring the scientists for the last 40 years.

They're using their own denial of climate change as an excuse for not preparing for climate change.

That dog don't hunt, jerkoffs.

This is going to be the coldest summer of the rest of our lives.

So they'll say the same thing next year.

• Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

You know Abbott's team will be furious if/when rolling blackouts occur. They must believe that may lose votes (X out of 1000 people) every time someone faces an problem with electricity. 

On the other hand, they know that even without electricity for weeks, it just won't matter, because they can just blame Biden, AOC, stolen election, brown people, border security, election integrity, Green New Deal, etc and it will work.

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

41 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Today definitely seems to be closer to being an issue than on Monday. 

image.thumb.png.cf67f72e0850409ab8373a45d7113364.png

I'm perversely interested in seeing what happens in the next 20 minutes when demand exceeds the committed and quick start capacity. Or in reality, demand can't exceed supply since they have to limit demand.

6 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'm perversely interested in seeing what happens in the next 20 minutes when demand exceeds the committed and quick start capacity. Or in reality, demand can't exceed supply since they have to limit demand.

so what you're saying is in about 10 minutes I need to save my work. got it.

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

You know Abbott's team will be furious if/when rolling blackouts occur. 

Is that what Abbott calls his behavior after a Texas football game? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

ERCOT admits that their summer weather prediction has proven to be wrong. It's hotter than they anticipated. Obviously they expected it to be hot but I think we all agree this is hotter than a normal summer. 

With that being said, ERCOT should be prepared for summer heat that is in the realm of possibility. I would be willing to cut them slack if we were all facing an unpredicted 120 F days.

EDIT: ERCOT is saying that they don't expect rolling blackouts today but are issuing a request to conserve. Their online supply/demand chart shows otherwise unless it doesn't full show their capacity to bring power online. 

And let me tell you something--this is the result of some real climate-denying bullshit.

I represent a number of entities that are having to make billion-dollar decisions on investments.  And out in public, those board members are all good Republicans and "drill, baby, drill" and all that shit.  But when you close the doors and they start putting money down, every last one of them believes climate change is real and that it's here.  It's not even something that needs to be discussed--it's just assumed.

For ERCOT to run around saying that this is an "outlier" indicates that they're either 1) lying or 2) so far in the tank for a bullshit political narrative that it is endangering lives.

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Today definitely seems to be closer to being an issue than on Monday. 

image.thumb.png.cf67f72e0850409ab8373a45d7113364.png

Yeah--wind has dropped off considerably over the past hour or two.  We may have a real shortfall within the next hour.

• Rage+1 1

18 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

And let me tell you something--this is the result of some real climate-denying bullshit.

I represent a number of entities that are having to make billion-dollar decisions on investments.  And out in public, those board members are all good Republicans and "drill, baby, drill" and all that shit.  But when you close the doors and they start putting money down, every last one of them believes climate change is real and that it's here.  It's not even something that needs to be discussed--it's just assumed.

For ERCOT to run around saying that this is an "outlier" indicates that they're either 1) lying or 2) so far in the tank for a bullshit political narrative that it is endangering lives.

Yeah--wind has dropped off considerably over the past hour or two.  We may have a real shortfall within the next hour.

And I lied--it's not wind that has fallen off.  ERCOT now admits that it is coal and natural gas generation that is not meeting estimates.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

You can just list the names. But me thinks they are also interested in more than the mundane of governing.  

No one would fit that description a 100% But I truly believe Dem candidates would lean much closer to trying to tackle issues citizens care about.