Where to Buy Washer/Dryers Nowadays?

2 hours ago, Bevo said:

reverse humble brag?

Between this and the DIY blood work hack, this guy reminds me of my (late, RIP) grandfather. I didn't think they made 'em like that anymore, assuming he's under the age of 50.

Edited by Vegas64

5 hours ago, Vegas64 said:

Between this and the DIY blood work hack, this guy reminds me of my (late, RIP) grandfather. I didn't think they made 'em like that anymore, assuming he's under the age of 50.

3 hours ago, chainsaw said:

Did I miss this thread?

Ha! Mid 30s but im a slight control freak and I like shit that works as intended. If I can find a way to stick it to the man I will any and every time. 

after dealing with newer model Samsung recalls on a washer I inherited in a home purchase, fuck a motherboard in a machine that deals in heat and moisture. Didn’t have a washer for 2 months dealing with their shit. Refurb delivered and guarantee the new homeowners who got it are still wearing clean clothes from it 2.5 yrs later. 

Edited by bluto

11 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Just don’t buy Samsung.   Pieces of shit breakdown and takes forever to get parts.   

We had to have a guy come out and repair our old Frigidaire dryer earlier this year.  I asked him what brands we should avoid. He said Samsung and LG. That's 90% of what he works on.  Go with GE and Whirlpool.  He still has to work on them but not as often and they are usually much older appliances that have an easier fix.

59 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

We had to have a guy come out and repair our old Frigidaire dryer earlier this year.  I asked him what brands we should avoid. He said Samsung and LG. That's 90% of what he works on.  Go with GE and Whirlpool.  He still has to work on them but not as often and they are usually much older appliances that have an easier fix.

This is correct.   Or Maytag.   We bought a Samsung washer/dryer package from Home Depot back in 2014.  Wasn't too long the dryer starting giving us fits.  Finally dumped it in 2020 for a simple Maytag dryer that works like a champ.   No special sensors, cycles, etc.   The Samsung Washer is still going despite a few service calls, but it had one major recall on top of those calls  which required a service tech to come out and adjust the spin cycles so the fricken lid wouldn't fly off .   Now it's rusting around the back part of the lid and it's probably on it's last legs.    I don't mind spending a little more money on the washer as you do get some legit water savings from the different cycles they offer.  

Had LG front loaders. It’s impossible to find someone to work on those or Samsung. You’ll order parts yourself off the web since no one stocks them.

We now have Maytag. The top loader gets clothes so much cleaner than the front loader. The big drum dryer takes half the time. Front loaders are really just for show. They look pretty but are functionally worthless.

54 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Had LG front loaders. It’s impossible to find someone to work on those or Samsung. You’ll order parts yourself off the web since no one stocks them.

We now have Maytag. The top loader gets clothes so much cleaner than the front loader. The big drum dryer takes half the time. Front loaders are really just for show. They look pretty but are functionally worthless.

I agree.   The front loaders were very much a thing starting about 15 years or so ago.    They kind of lost favor in the last few years because of performance and things like mold issues around the door seal.  We had an LG  front loader before we replaced it with a Samsung top loader because of this very issue  as our laundry room always smelled like unwashed wet towels.   Once we got rid of it, the smell went away too.

Edited by Nueces River Rat
  • Like 1

Have had the same basic and simple top-loading washer and front-loading dryer for close to 20 years with no issues (knock on wood). Will never switch to the new type with all the electronics. The damn song they like to sing when they are done is enough for me to swear off them, much less the price tag.

W/D is something I always go shamelessly cheap on. It’s a tub that fills with water and agitates the clothes?  What bells and whistles are really necessary?  Dryer is even simpler. 

The set I have now conveyed with the house and I’m not even sure what brand they are. I can tell they were cheap though, basic look, not many settings… My clothes are as clean as anyone else’s. The set I had before that was an LG I bought on Craigslist for $150. The guy I bought them from said his wife wanted a stainless set. He seemed to questioning his whole marriage over that but the new set was coming so he needed the hideous white ones gone. I had them for a hassle-free 10 years and conveyed them with the house I sold.  No way would I spent a grand on a set of machines that get hidden in the laundry room. 

Many appliances use the same parts, but with some changes to the control board and exterior panels. I repaired my old Whirlpool Duet and used “Samsung” parts even though they didn’t have crossover numbers. The bolt holes, connectors, size were exactly the same and it was a straight install.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like I need a new washer/dryer as I am tired of my wife bitching about the current front load Samsung's we have.  I think she wants a top loader but any idea if we should go with an agitator in the middle or one that doesn't have the agitator?   I went to Lowe's and they were trying to push LG on me.  Any brands I should avoid or not avoid (Maytag, GE, Samsung, LG, Whirlpool)?  The Samsung set I currently own has all the fancy features and in 5 years I would say we don't use 99% of those features so maybe I just need a basic set of machines going forward.

4 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Looks like I need a new washer/dryer as I am tired of my wife bitching about the current front load Samsung's we have.  I think she wants a top loader but any idea if we should go with an agitator in the middle or one that doesn't have the agitator?

I prefer the agitator but haven’t had it in the last 2 sets we’ve owned (one for 8 years, another for about a year now). Wife buys all the fancy shit and we don’t use it either.  Can’t wait for this set to die, I don’t like them at all. 

On 8/1/2022 at 11:43 AM, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Looks like I need a new washer/dryer as I am tired of my wife bitching about the current front load Samsung's we have.  I think she wants a top loader but any idea if we should go with an agitator in the middle or one that doesn't have the agitator?   I went to Lowe's and they were trying to push LG on me.  Any brands I should avoid or not avoid (Maytag, GE, Samsung, LG, Whirlpool)?  The Samsung set I currently own has all the fancy features and in 5 years I would say we don't use 99% of those features so maybe I just need a basic set of machines going forward.

Speed Queen top loader.

• Like 1

tl;dr - Samsung sucks and so does Consumer Reports. Buy American if you can at least until the supply chain issues are resolved. And you get what you pay for in this space as far as my experience. I bought a Maytag commercial grade W/D. So far so good. I bought them directly from maytag.com.

I bought the Consumer Reports's best rated W/D and every kitchen appliance in 2016. I wasn't going for anything matching, I wanted the best in each category. Every single appliance had something go wrong within a year. Samsung front loader washer, Samsung front loader dryer, Kitchenaid DW, Samsung fridge, Samsung stove, Samsung microwave (microwave was the one item I didn't get the very best rated cuz they were all rated about the same and I thought the microwave above the stove should match.) Yes, at that specific moment in Time all those Samsung appliances were rated the very best by consumer reports. And each and every one of them was a complete heaping steaming pile of shit.

I had the most trouble with the washing machine and the KitchenAid dishwasher. That was replacing parts on those fuckers every 3 to 6 months. And of course it was process of elimination so I'd replace something only to find out I had to replace something else. I suspect I spent more repairing that fucking Samsung washer and then on the Samsung washer itself.

I've also asked an appliance repair guy what he recommends. He said everything in his house is GE. Says they're all simple as hell and it's easy to get some parts. Of course I didn't take that advice at all. For me it all boiled down to a choice between the above-mentioned Speed Queen and a Maytag.  Speed Queen washing machine which has legions of fanboys who will be deeply offended if you don't buy one. Think iPhone users for a washing machine. But they have a point. It's made in the USA, it's a tried and true old school washing machine that fills up with water and has an agitator. They completely ignored all the stupid front loader trendy bullshit. As far as I know they're missing about three different control boards that my Samsung washer had. Cuz you don't need that. If you're interested in going down the Speed Queen rabbit hole, check out all the YouTube videos that have comparisons. And like vintage cars, there's arguments over a couple of years where the Speed Queen tried to be a little bit more EPA friendly and the model wasn't as good. So make sure you don't get one of those.

I decided to go with the Maytag commercial grade residential washer and dryer because the maytags agitator does more work than the Speed Queen agitator. There's YouTube video showing this comparison as well. I think they even have one on the Maytag website to show why there's is better. And then you'll get the army of Speed Queen users saying that video is crap. Basically, the maytags agitator has two moving parts versus Speed Queens one. That was enough for me to go for the maytag, because to me the agitator is what's actually getting things clean. Better agitator means cleaner clothes.

I have six kids in the house, so the washer and dryer are running at least two loads a day every day. And an agitator top loader has less capacity than a front loader, so I'm definitely doing more loads a day than before. So of course I wore that Samsung washer down faster than most families. So far, the Maytag is brilliant. But I will tell you all the things we used to bitch about from the front loaders have some of their downsides too. I yelled as loud as anybody that the stupid EPA regs that wouldn't let the washer fill up with water was the reason my clothes weren't getting clean. The clothes in the front loader always had a smell, the front loader itself always had a smell, and once those kids sports clothes get that funky ass smell in them there's never any getting them out.

But I will tell you, having a truly old school washer has its downsides. One, it is using a shit ton of water. It completely fills up to do the wash, then it completely fills up to rinse, then it might completely fill up a third time if you have it set to rinse again. I never thought that would bother me or I'd give a shit, cuz I am not that environmentally focused. But that's a lot of damn water. It has settings to use less water. And I'm still working out what actually gets our clothes clean and what doesn't. But I will tell you all those t-shirts that had that faint funky ass smell are all clean now from just one or two washes in the new old school washer. Another downside that never occurred to me, these old style machines really are harder on your clothes. I always read that and I never cared. And I still don't care. But clothes that lasted 5 to 10 years in the old washer are already showing signs of wear and tear and fraying from only having this washer for a few months.

And I now have to be cognizant of the drain. So much extra lint and schmutz comes off the clothes now, that it will clog the drain. And so much water is in the washer, it will overfill my old school basement sink next to the washer. That was never an issue with the shitty front loader. And as far as the wear and tear on the clothes, honestly I've got clothes older than my kids, so it's not a bad thing for my clothes to wear out so I have to go buy new shit and I don't look like that old dude.

The big advantages are that your clothes are actually clean, and a cycle only takes about 30 minutes. The Samsung washer would go 3 to 4 hours per cycle sometimes.

I haven't had them long enough to need any service calls or try to figure out how easy it is to get parts. And I'm not expecting that I will, cuz there's just not that many parts in these beautiful old school bad boys.

You didn't ask about this, but I replaced the KitchenAid dishwasher which crapped out, with a Meile dishwasher. I had to wait about 6 months to get one due to supply chain issues. Although they said I'd have to wait a year. So 6 months felt like a bonus. I've had so many problems with dishwashers, I decided to try to buy a top line one and see if they actually were as good as the internet says. And they're expensive. And they're German. So this flies against what I said above about buy American and get something where parts are going to be easier to get. Calculus was different for this since I just had the kids do the dishes by hand in the interim. Less critical than a washing machine.

So far so good on the Miele dishwasher, although to be fair we've only had it a few weeks. But the dishes are noticeably cleaner then the previous dishwasher and even compared to my kids doing them by hand.

Good luck. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, DCLonghorn said:

tl;dr - Samsung sucks and so does Consumer Reports. Buy American if you can at least until the supply chain issues are resolved. And you get what you pay for in this space as far as my experience. I bought a Maytag commercial grade W/D. So far so good. I bought them directly from maytag.com.

I bought the Consumer Reports's best rated W/D and every kitchen appliance in 2016. I wasn't going for anything matching, I wanted the best in each category. Every single appliance had something go wrong within a year. Samsung front loader washer, Samsung front loader dryer, Kitchenaid DW, Samsung fridge, Samsung stove, Samsung microwave (microwave was the one item I didn't get the very best rated cuz they were all rated about the same and I thought the microwave above the stove should match.) Yes, at that specific moment in Time all those Samsung appliances were rated the very best by consumer reports. And each and every one of them was a complete heaping steaming pile of shit.

I had the most trouble with the washing machine and the KitchenAid dishwasher. That was replacing parts on those fuckers every 3 to 6 months. And of course it was process of elimination so I'd replace something only to find out I had to replace something else. I suspect I spent more repairing that fucking Samsung washer and then on the Samsung washer itself.

I've also asked an appliance repair guy what he recommends. He said everything in his house is GE. Says they're all simple as hell and it's easy to get some parts. Of course I didn't take that advice at all. For me it all boiled down to a choice between the above-mentioned Speed Queen and a Maytag.  Speed Queen washing machine which has legions of fanboys who will be deeply offended if you don't buy one. Think iPhone users for a washing machine. But they have a point. It's made in the USA, it's a tried and true old school washing machine that fills up with water and has an agitator. They completely ignored all the stupid front loader trendy bullshit. As far as I know they're missing about three different control boards that my Samsung washer had. Cuz you don't need that. If you're interested in going down the Speed Queen rabbit hole, check out all the YouTube videos that have comparisons. And like vintage cars, there's arguments over a couple of years where the Speed Queen tried to be a little bit more EPA friendly and the model wasn't as good. So make sure you don't get one of those.

I decided to go with the Maytag commercial grade residential washer and dryer because the maytags agitator does more work than the Speed Queen agitator. There's YouTube video showing this comparison as well. I think they even have one on the Maytag website to show why there's is better. And then you'll get the army of Speed Queen users saying that video is crap. Basically, the maytags agitator has two moving parts versus Speed Queens one. That was enough for me to go for the maytag, because to me the agitator is what's actually getting things clean. Better agitator means cleaner clothes.

I have six kids in the house, so the washer and dryer are running at least two loads a day every day. And an agitator top loader has less capacity than a front loader, so I'm definitely doing more loads a day than before. So of course I wore that Samsung washer down faster than most families. So far, the Maytag is brilliant. But I will tell you all the things we used to bitch about from the front loaders have some of their downsides too. I yelled as loud as anybody that the stupid EPA regs that wouldn't let the washer fill up with water was the reason my clothes weren't getting clean. The clothes in the front loader always had a smell, the front loader itself always had a smell, and once those kids sports clothes get that funky ass smell in them there's never any getting them out.

But I will tell you, having a truly old school washer has its downsides. One, it is using a shit ton of water. It completely fills up to do the wash, then it completely fills up to rinse, then it might completely fill up a third time if you have it set to rinse again. I never thought that would bother me or I'd give a shit, cuz I am not that environmentally focused. But that's a lot of damn water. It has settings to use less water. And I'm still working out what actually gets our clothes clean and what doesn't. But I will tell you all those t-shirts that had that faint funky ass smell are all clean now from just one or two washes in the new old school washer. Another downside that never occurred to me, these old style machines really are harder on your clothes. I always read that and I never cared. And I still don't care. But clothes that lasted 5 to 10 years in the old washer are already showing signs of wear and tear and fraying from only having this washer for a few months.

And I now have to be cognizant of the drain. So much extra lint and schmutz comes off the clothes now, that it will clog the drain. And so much water is in the washer, it will overfill my old school basement sink next to the washer. That was never an issue with the shitty front loader. And as far as the wear and tear on the clothes, honestly I've got clothes older than my kids, so it's not a bad thing for my clothes to wear out so I have to go buy new shit and I don't look like that old dude.

The big advantages are that your clothes are actually clean, and a cycle only takes about 30 minutes. The Samsung washer would go 3 to 4 hours per cycle sometimes.

I haven't had them long enough to need any service calls or try to figure out how easy it is to get parts. And I'm not expecting that I will, cuz there's just not that many parts in these beautiful old school bad boys.

You didn't ask about this, but I replaced the KitchenAid dishwasher which crapped out, with a Meile dishwasher. I had to wait about 6 months to get one due to supply chain issues. Although they said I'd have to wait a year. So 6 months felt like a bonus. I've had so many problems with dishwashers, I decided to try to buy a top line one and see if they actually were as good as the internet says. And they're expensive. And they're German. So this flies against what I said above about buy American and get something where parts are going to be easier to get. Calculus was different for this since I just had the kids do the dishes by hand in the interim. Less critical than a washing machine.

So far so good on the Miele dishwasher, although to be fair we've only had it a few weeks. But the dishes are noticeably cleaner then the previous dishwasher and even compared to my kids doing them by hand.

Good luck. 

Consumer Reports is still around?    I thought they were for the Olds?   

2 hours ago, DCLonghorn said:

Ours has been good as well.