Who here is afraid of heights?

bschoolprof

I hate heights without support like ladders, or free climbers. I have hard times watching these things like climbing these towers.

In the early days of HDTV there were issues to hit the first mandate because there weren’t many tower builders. I was at a conference and the head of the biggest company did a preso and his initial video was much like this, with these tower builders building these thing 1500 or more in the air. I nearly puked.

I won’t go see it but those that do go see in an imax.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, WBT said:

So what was in the hole that made the boyfriend fall?  And f sticking your hand into a hole you can't see into like that.

South Austin's mom, and it's not your hand you're supposed to stick in there

Reminded me of the opening scene of "Free Solo," the drone looking straight down at a sheer cliff. Weird that I can feel the sensation of falling from watching both of those on small computer screen. Obv, I don't climb.

Edited by Dutch

I've actually climbed a radio tower before. Wasn't anywhere near that height but it was plenty high enough. Did it in high school - wasn't really a big deal - just a really long ladder on the inside of a steel cage.

... pretty sure I wouldn't be able to handle it now. 

I have no interest in watching that movie. However, I've always wondered how the damn things get built.... that's something I'd like to see and I have no doubt that it'd be nerve rattling. 

I'm cool with heights as long as I'm strapped in.  I.e. there's not a roller coaster on Earth that truly scares me.  That being said, I don't think I'd be able to look over the side (down) of a 4-story building.  

FYI Y'all would love the movie, "Break".  

• Hook 'Em 2

I don't like being outside and up high and being able to see the ground below.  

Been on my in-laws roof in NYC (30+ stories) up with no issue.  But I wouldn't walk out more than 100 feet on the Golden Gate, the wind, the traffic...f that.

These videos and movies make my palms sweat, but I have no trouble watching them.

Free Solo was fucking awesome

If you liked Free Solo, watch the Alpinist on Netflix about Marc-Andre LeClerc.  

• Hook 'Em 2

My wife’s high school dropout cousin was completely directionless but was an adrenaline junkie so he picked the only job that fit his education and skill set and became a a tower climber for Verizon. IIRC, it paid $25/hour plus $400 for each tower you climbed. Great money for a 20 year old. He’d climb 2-3 a day. That dumb ass parlayed that experience into owning his own company that does tower repair and upgrade work for all cell companies. I’d guess he now clears $1M a year at age 33.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, BluTechsan said:

I've actually climbed a radio tower before. Wasn't anywhere near that height but it was plenty high enough. Did it in high school - wasn't really a big deal - just a really long ladder on the inside of a steel cage.

... pretty sure I wouldn't be able to handle it now. 

I have no interest in watching that movie. However, I've always wondered how the damn things get built.... that's something I'd like to see and I have no doubt that it'd be nerve rattling. 

I climbed an oil derrick erected in about 1925.  In like 1979.  That was foolish.  But I felt pretty secure doing it. although there was no cage, the ladder was just on the side of it and it was rusty as hell.

Heights don't bother me much as long as I feel secure.  But if I don't feel secure, like on the edge of a pitched roof, it doesn't matter if it's 20, 200, or 2000 feet, I get the willies.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

My wife’s high school dropout cousin was completely directionless but was an adrenaline junkie so he picked the only job that fit his education and skill set and became a a tower climber for Verizon. IIRC, it paid $25/hour plus $400 for each tower you climbed. Great money for a 20 year old. He’d climb 2-3 a day. That dumb ass parlayed that experience into owning his own company that does tower repair and upgrade work for all cell companies. I’d guess he now clears $1M a year at age 33.

Tower climbers are a different breed. I used to do alot of work for a lot of city/state 911 backhaul networks and met many climbers onsite, they were all fucking weird but they did a shit ton of money. Highest I've been on a tower was 105ft and never did it again. As I've gotten older I've became way more of a pussy 

On 7/13/2022 at 10:16 AM, longhornmatt said:

Me halfway through the trailer:  “What is this crap?  Cliffhanger meets Eat Pray Love?”

Me during the second half of the trailer: “HOLY FUCKING SHIT NIGHTMARE FUEL!!”

rip logan's.

1 hour ago, Tylerocks said:

I don't like being outside and up high and being able to see the ground below.  

Been on my in-laws roof in NYC (30+ stories) up with no issue.  But I wouldn't walk out more than 100 feet on the Golden Gate, the wind, the traffic...f that.

These videos and movies make my palms sweat, but I have no trouble watching them.

Free Solo was fucking awesome

If you liked Free Solo, watch the Alpinist on Netflix about Marc-Andre LeClerc.  

Good recco. I especially liked the part in the Alpinist where they interviewed Alex Honnold and he basically said LeClerc was insane for doing some of the climbs he did.

• Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Pussies out in full force in this thread. You know the movie is fake & heavily cgi’d right? They aren’t actually up on a huge tower 

Lemme get this straight, you think posters on this thread think the movie was shot without cgi? And that’s why they’re scared of it? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

So, I'm guessing from the replies a Surl skydiving trip is outta the question.

I’ll go skydiving all day long,  no problem.  And I have been skydiving a few times.

Climbing a big-ass tower?  Nope. For whatever, reason, I feel “in control” skydiving, but not climbing a tower.  Maybe if I had a parachute, and thought I could clear the tower and the guy wires if I fell.

Two friends and I climbed up a good 50 or 60 feet on a transmission tower via the spikes when we were 13 or 14. Just 3 dumb shits bored on a summer day, went on a hike, "hey, look at that," "I dare you," "you're a chicken," blah blah blah. Even dumber, all 3 of us did it at the same time with just a few feet between us. We got just high enough up to realize that we were really fucking dumb and shit could go sideways in a hurry, so we scurried back down (which was the scarier part of the climb) and headed down to the local diner for some cherry cokes and cheeseburgers where we tried to bullshit one another that we would have made it all the way to the top if only (insert other friend's name here) wasn't such a pussy.

• Like 1

I have a hard time feeling a ton of empathy for people who put themselves in dangerous situations and didn’t think of obvious consequences.

“Hey, let’s climb this really tall skinny thing.” Should immediately be followed up with - “what if it breaks or our way back down gets fucked?” I know- then there wouldn’t be a suspenseful movie.