We’re Taking Over This Town - Pantera to tour in ‘23

thunderlounge

Hmmm...if Robert Plant went out on tour with John Paul Jones and a couple session musicians, and called themselves Led Zeppelin, would it really be Led Zeppelin?  Nope.  Would it be good?  Maybe, maybe even great, but it wouldn't be Led Zeppelin.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, stc said:

anselmo has been playing pantera songs for a while with his band. got no problem with that but it's not right to add rex and call it pantera. would i still go? sure. 

Pretty much where I’m at with it. Not ideal, nor true, but I’ll still check it out.

23 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

They probably get Kirk Windstein on guitar.  Down touring under the name Pantera.

This is my assumption as well.

32 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

No dime, no Pantera. Out.

And that’s assuming they could find someone who could do even a halfway decent job of playing those songs. Which I don’t think they can.

Just shows what a cunt Phil is.

I’m not sure whom, but there are several that could pull it off well. 

I initially rushed to the Phil money grab, but not sure Rex would go along with that?

3 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

On the other hand, no original member of Judas Priest has been in the band in over 40 years but they’re still Judas Priest.

No they aren’t. 

Dime went far beyond just playing the notes. He is quite literally irreplaceable.  

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

I like his work overall, although agree his early stuff was too laden with intentional pick harmonics.

I remember seeing Ozzy in 2000 when joe Holmes was his guitarist, and it was literally pick harmonics from start to finish. Like 10 times more than the albums. I looked at my buddy and went "Dude if Zakk Wylde didn't think it need pick harmonics you know that shit really didn't need any".

• Hook 'Em 1

This was pretty poorly played.  If they hadn't tried to cash in on the "Pantera" name, they could've done something along the lines of "We're a metal Velvet Revolver!"  They could've done an EP of a couple new songs, then had all their relative fan bases wondering "will they or won't they play my favorite BLS/Pantera/Anthrax song too?"  That would've drummed up some hype and anticipation.  Then play those 3-4 new tunes and fill out the setlist with all those respective fan bases hits.  Everybody's happy.

But doing it under the "Pantera" label without the heart of the band?  Poor form.  It's a bad look on everyone.  I'm sure there are variations of the reactions on this thread on music message boards across the spectrum.  

Edited by Chad Fuck
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

This was pretty poorly played.  If they hadn't tried to cash in on the "Pantera" name, they could've done something along the lines of "We're a metal Velvet Revolver!"  They could've done an EP of a couple new songs, then had all their relative fan bases wondering "will they or won't they play my favorite BLS/Pantera/Anthrax song too?"  That would've drummed up some hype and anticipation.  Then play those 3-4 new tunes and fill out the setlist with all those respective fan bases hits.  Everybody's happy.

But doing it under the "Pantera" label without the heart of the band?  Poor form.  It's a bad look on everyone.  I'm sure there are variations of the reactions on this thread on music message boards across the spectrum.  

Pretty spot on.

I knew immediately it would be Zakk.  He's been filling in for dime since Dime died.
What shocks me is how hated is on this thread?  What did I miss and when did this happen?  I thought Black Label Society was popular here?

I am not a fan. I find most of his music boring and a lot of it annoying with the excessive pinch harmonics. He also seems like a tool.

26 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

He also seems like a tool.

I haven't met him personally, but I have several friends that have and they all say he is actually a really good dude. My good friend and sometimes collaborator worked a Spitfire Records for a spell and spent quite a bit of time with him.

Just now, tbone_ said:

Yes. But he won’t play it.

I’ll take No More Tears too.

I'll take that solo straight to my veins.

I haven’t met Zack either. But I know several who have and they say the same thing. Good dude.

Buddy of mine has a great picture of himself with Zack on one side and Dime on the other.

I have hs buddies that knew Darell and Vinnie really well. One friend is married, or was, to Darrell’s widow’s sister. We sort of ran in similar circles in Irving/Arlington areas in the 80s. I’ve met him many times. Just al all time super guy.

Was with him at The Playhouse one time. It’s one thing to party like a rock star. It’s another to party with a rock star, at the all nude strip club that he owns. But that’s a different story. I asked him how did they come about opening the club. He said well man, tbone, we started making all this money and had to invest in something. We don’t know nothing about stocks and bonds so we decided to invest in what we know: PUSSY!

• Hook 'Em 2

I knew immediately it would be Zakk.  He's been filling in for dime since Dime died.
What shocks me is how hated is on this thread?  What did I miss and when did this happen?  I thought Black Label Society was popular here?

I don’t think it’s so much that people are hating on Zakk. I love Zakk. I hate this idea though.

He’s a pretty funny Instagram follow.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Met Dime and Vinnie when they played billed as CFH for a warmup gig at The Back Room for the Far Beyond Driven tour and both were cool as hell. Phil was a dick. Met Vinnie again years later at Uncle Julios in Dallas with all the HellYeah guys and I told him I was at that CFH show and he smiled and said something about how fucking crazy that show was. Saw Zakk play a Zakk Sabbath show and he was entertaining as hell. I was skeptical about this deal at first but saw an interview with Zakk and he stressed its about honoring Dime and Vinnie so hopefully he'll play accordingly.  Will depend on time and place but I think I'll check it out

Edited by Dennis Taylor
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Met Dime and Vinnie when they played billed as CFH for a warmup gig at The Back Room for the Far Beyond Driven tour and both were cool as hell. Phil was a dick. Met Vinnie again years later at Uncle Julios in Dallas with all the HellYeah guys and I told him I was at that CFH show and he smiled and said something about how fucking crazy that show was. Saw Zakk play a Zakk Sabbath show and he was entertaining as hell. I was skeptical about this deal at first but saw an interview with Zakk and he stressed its about honoring Dime and Vinnie so hopefully he'll play accordingly.  Will depend on time and place but I think I'll check it out

Zakk interview did give hope for doing it right. Guess we’ll see as more things come out.