We’re Taking Over This Town - Pantera to tour in ‘23

thunderlounge

Pantera was formed in Arlington, Texas in 1981 by the brothers Abbott: Vinnie Paul and Darrell who originally went by Diamond and later Dimebag. Rex Brown played in the high school band with the Abbotts and joined the band in 1982. The band released three albums with Terry Glaze on vocals. The band’s first three records were produced by the Abbott brothers’ father Jerry.

Phil Anselmo joined Pantera in 1988 but did not fully assume lead vocal duties until 1990 when he was on Cowboys From Hell. The band would be together for another 13 years until things fell apart. The band formally broke up in 2003.

The Abbott brothers did not stop playing together. In 2003 they formed Damageplan. The band released one record in 2004. On Dec 1st 2004, Anselmo did an interview with Metal Hammer where he laid the blame for Pantera’s demise squarely on Dimebag. In the interview stated “So physically, of course, he deserves to be beaten severely.” One week later, on Dec 8th 2004, a deranged fan named Nathan Gale jumped on stage in Columbus and gunned down Dimebag as well as four other people.

On Dec 14th, 2004, Dimebag Darrell was laid to rest in Arlington, Texas. Phil Anselmo was barred from the funeral by both Dimebag’s longtime partner Rita and Vinnie Paul. The family held Phil personally responsible for Dimebag’s death. Vinnie Paul never spoke to Phil Anselmo ever again. On Jun 22nd, 2018 Vinnie Paul died from heart failure. He took his hatred to the grave.

A year after Vinnie Paul died, Phil Anselmo announced he would be doing a Pantera set on the final Slayer tour. He waited long enough for the Abbott brothers to die to start MONETIZING those songs again. Today, Jul 13th 2022, music industry professionals announced Pantera would be “reuniting” in 2023.

There is no Pantera without the Abbott brothers. Not now, not ever. I know in these late stage capitalism entertainment times, all of kinds of stupid stuff gets packaged but this is something else. Phil is a ghoul for waiting for the Abbott brothers to die off to use the name again.

Fuck him and fuck this despicable shit

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
8 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

It’s just not Pantera. You can’t recreate Dime. Although Charlie does a damn good job on drums.

I dunno, I like Charlie, and love Zakk, but neither one have that groove.

Also Anselmo is still a fucking douche

I think we would all agree that nobody did it like Dime, Vinnie, Rex and Phil in their prime. If you were a fan you've been there and done that. It was an incredible period for heavy metal and they were probably the standard. But this thread says '23 so let's see what the new version sounds like and post it here so we can make our own judgment. Everything from the 90s was fucking amazing and unfortunately it'll never be exactly the same again. But i doubt 53 year old me could deal with what 25 year old me did at the CFH warmup show at The Back Room in 1994, because it was basically a giant fight. If the reboot is decent, then it's better than 90% of what is out there now and I'd probably like to see it.

In the meantime stay off my fucking lawn!

• Hook 'Em 1

I think we would all agree that nobody did it like Dime, Vinnie, Rex and Phil in their prime. If you were a fan you've been there and done that. It was an incredible period for heavy metal and they were probably the standard. But this thread says '23 so let's see what the new version sounds like and post it here so we can make our own judgment. Everything from the 90s was fucking amazing and unfortunately it'll never be exactly the same again. But i doubt 53 year old me could deal with what 25 year old me did at the CFH warmup show at The Back Room in 1994, because it was basically a giant fight. If the reboot is decent, then it's better than 90% of what is out there now and I'd probably like to see it.
In the meantime stay off my fucking lawn!

That’s not at all the issue for me. I’m sure it will sound great and I’m all for let’s see what these guys can do. They’re all certified bad asses, though Phil can eat a bag for eternity in my book.

Crank out all the Pantera tunes and whatever else you want. I’m all for it. Just don’t call it Pantera. Because it isn’t.

Might as well have Dave, Alex, and Michael hire Phil X and go on a Van Halen tour.
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...