Surly Horns Podcast Season 5 Episode 2 - Jared Wiley Speaks His Mind

immamac

9 hours ago, Napoleon said:

I wish him the best. I really was hoping that would blow up in Austin. Didn’t happen, but if he can stay healthy, he should do well. 

1 kilo = 2.2 lbs

Have you guys never been in a gym?

That's not where I learned 1 kilo = 2.2 pounds....

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

On 7/15/2022 at 1:55 AM, Napoleon said:

I wish him the best. I really was hoping that would blow up in Austin. Didn’t happen, but if he can stay healthy, he should do well. 

1 kilo = 2.2 lbs

Have you guys never been in a gym?

If you'd ever met @RGBIII and @immamac you'd know the answer to that 

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, BigSwingingD said:

Thanks guys! Cool interview. He almost said Hook'em.  

I thought you guys were wrong on Braums. I was convinved I had seen one here in Austin. Nope, it was Culver's.  

That’s exactly what I was thinking of when they were talking about Braums

This interview revealed to me that to some recruits, Waco is a big city and College Station may be as well. 

Austin is unrecognizable from what it was up until the mid-late ‘90s, but it might as well NYC to some people. Just something that I frequently forget after growing up in Dallas, living in LA, visiting NYC a ton and then living in Buenos Aires for over 7 years. 

Fort Worth seemed like a good speed for Jared. Again, I hope that he can stay healthy and prosper. 

🤘

18 hours ago, Napoleon said:

This interview revealed to me that to some recruits, Waco is a big city and College Station may be as well. 

Austin is unrecognizable from what it was up until the mid-late ‘90s, but it might as well NYC to some people. Just something that I frequently forget after growing up in Dallas, living in LA, visiting NYC a ton and then living in Buenos Aires for over 7 years. 

Fort Worth seemed like a good speed for Jared. Again, I hope that he can stay healthy and prosper. 

🤘

Waco and CS are just as big as suburbs kids are coming from and bigger than some towns. The days of kids thinking CS is a backwater are gone. Fort Worth is as big as Austin. 

1 hour ago, Porterhouse said:

Waco and CS are just as big as suburbs kids are coming from and bigger than some towns. The days of kids thinking CS is a backwater are gone.
Fort Worth is as big as Austin. 

Fort Worth used to be MUCH BIGGER than Austin. 

Fort Worth is part of the 7 million people that make up “the Metroplex”, however…

Fort Worth density does not hold a candle to 2022 Austin. The area around the TCU campus is as close to small town America as it is to the high rises that span from West Campus down to Lady Bird Lake (a.k.a. Town Lake).

Downtown Austin feel more built up that downtown Brooklyn…

1BB89847-0AA3-4CAE-8ED2-387E338C07EC.thumb.jpeg.f2a89386ad07990652daba6c6fcb76ca.jpeg22C5B1F3-7005-421A-8072-460A8F3B0786.thumb.jpeg.970144a7117881839dd9db994c0cdf95.jpeg

…than downtown Fort Worth…

image.jpeg.0d45bc96c1dbca54dd5c61c9d4f59223.jpeg

Fort Worth still feels spread out with buildings from the 1960s through 1980s. The city is spread out, especially between TCU, the Museum District, and downtown.

College Station is still a shit hole. 

13 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Fort Worth used to be MUCH BIGGER than Austin. 

Fort Worth is part of the 7 million people that make up “the Metroplex”, however…

Fort Worth density does not hold a candle to 2022 Austin. The area around the TCU campus is as close to small town America as it is to the high rises that span from West Campus down to Lady Bird Lake (a.k.a. Town Lake).

Downtown Austin feel more built up that downtown Brooklyn…

1BB89847-0AA3-4CAE-8ED2-387E338C07EC.thumb.jpeg.f2a89386ad07990652daba6c6fcb76ca.jpeg22C5B1F3-7005-421A-8072-460A8F3B0786.thumb.jpeg.970144a7117881839dd9db994c0cdf95.jpeg

…than downtown Fort Worth…

image.jpeg.0d45bc96c1dbca54dd5c61c9d4f59223.jpeg

Fort Worth still feels spread out with buildings from the 1960s through 1980s. The city is spread out, especially between TCU, the Museum District, and downtown.

College Station is still a shit hole. 

I go to College Station every year for a big statewide 7on7 tourney. Every year we (Texas grads) are all pleasantly surprised. Fort Worth is about the same size as Austin, and at no point was the Fort MUCH BIGGER than Austin. That is absurd. Austin definitely feels more modern than Fort Worth, but its skyline pales in comparison to Dallas, which pales to Houston. And Austin is nowhere near as dense as Brooklyn or with the skyline to compete with it. Lol. 

3 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

I go to College Station every year for a big statewide 7on7 tourney. Every year we (Texas grads) are all pleasantly surprised. Fort Worth is about the same size as Austin, and at no point was the Fort MUCH BIGGER than Austin. That is absurd. Austin definitely feels more modern than Fort Worth, but its skyline pales in comparison to Dallas, which pales to Houston. And Austin is nowhere near as dense as Brooklyn or with the skyline to compete with it. Lol. 

I grew up in fort worth, lived in college station. Can confirm. Fort worth was much bigger than Austin until the early 2010s. Can also confirm college station is depressing and a shit hole. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, immamac said:

I grew up in fort worth, lived in college station. Can confirm. Fort worth was much bigger than Austin until the early 2010s. Can also confirm college station is depressing and a shit hole. 

I’ve only spent more time in Dallas (20 years) than in Austin (7 years) and Fort Worth (4 years). What you’re saying is total bullshit about the two cities’ populations. It’s not popular to say but College Station is a desirable place to spend 4 years as a college kid, minus the cultish school, relative to what it was when I was in school 25 years ago and would take trips to that crazy place. 

3 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

I’ve only spent more time in Dallas (20 years) than in Austin (7 years) and Fort Worth (4 years). What you’re saying is total bullshit about the two cities’ populations. It’s not popular to say but College Station is a desirable place to spend 4 years as a college kid, minus the cultish school, relative to what it was when I was in school 25 years ago and would take trips to that crazy place. 

It isn't. You are are a fucking troll. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, immamac said:

It isn't. You are are a fucking troll. 

First - Austin/FW. Why would I troll about populations of two towns I love?  They’ve been very close for as long as I can remember, and I think we are about the same age. Why don’t you look up population stats over the decades and you’ll see I’m right. 

On CS - this is my perception and many like me. I’ve never lived in the area and wouldn’t want to. But when I take my son to this tournament on an annual basis, and we take our HP team/parents with us, it’s not like we’re clamoring to get a vacation home there. But it is MUCH nicer than it was when I would go in school and visit friends from ‘96-‘00. They’ve stepped up their game. Are they Austin, Dallas, FW, Houston or SA or surrounding area in the Hill Country?  Hell no. Would it be a palatable place for a kid to go to school for 4 years?  Much more so than when you and I were coming out. 

11 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

First - Austin/FW. Why would I troll about populations of two towns I love?  They’ve been very close for as long as I can remember, and I think we are about the same age. Why don’t you look up population stats over the decades and you’ll see I’m right. 

On CS - this is my perception and many like me. I’ve never lived in the area and wouldn’t want to. But when I take my son to this tournament on an annual basis, and we take our HP team/parents with us, it’s not like we’re clamoring to get a vacation home there. But it is MUCH nicer than it was when I would go in school and visit friends from ‘96-‘00. They’ve stepped up their game. Are they Austin, Dallas, FW, Houston or SA or surrounding area in the Hill Country?  Hell no. Would it be a palatable place for a kid to go to school for 4 years?  Much more so than when you and I were coming out. 

I respectfully disagree, but understand what you are saying. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, immamac said:

I respectfully disagree, but understand what you are saying. 

Thanks. On FW/Austin, stats tell the story my man. CS is in the eye of the beholder. And, I still took plenty of opportunity to take picks of Aggies milling about looking like hillbillies and indoctrination of my child that the school is undesirable. 

24 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Thanks. On FW/Austin, stats tell the story my man. CS is in the eye of the beholder. And, I still took plenty of opportunity to take picks of Aggies milling about looking like hillbillies and indoctrination of my child that the school is undesirable. 

https://www2.census.gov/prod2/decennial/documents/1980a_txAB-01.pdf

i direct you to table 2 on page 13 where it shows the 1980 census count for tarrant county at 860,880 and the count for Travis county at 419,473.  It also shows every 10 years back to 1930 and in each instance tarrant has twice the population of Travis. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

https://www2.census.gov/prod2/decennial/documents/1980a_txAB-01.pdf

i direct you to table 2 on page 13 where it shows the 1980 census count for tarrant county at 860,880 and the count for Travis county at 419,473.  It also shows every 10 years back to 1930 and in each instance tarrant has twice the population of Travis. 

Lol so now we’re going metro areas, huh. Why not include all of DFW, the 4th largest in the country, and compare to Austin?  Of course Tarrant County with Arlington is bigger. The comparison was between Austin and Fort Worth. They’ve always been about the same size, except in the last 15 years or so when Austin has taken off and FW has merely just been a fast growing Texas city. 

I haven’t lived in Texas for 20+ years, but when I come to Fort Worth to visit family, it doesn’t seem that different from the early 2000s. Austin, OTOH? I can hardly recognize where I am, unless I’m on campus or near the Capitol building. To me, Fort Worth’s share of the metroplex is basically Tarrant County. I’d use that as a comparison to the Austin metro area.

As for CS, I will defer to our grand aggy, immamac. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

Jared seems a bit reserved and a challenge to interview.  Overall I thought it was a solid episode.   Y'all are getting noticeably better at this.  Maybe you need a wack-pack or sorts, with Derka, Nicole, and Grendel.