Hexclad Cookware

Does anyone here have Hexclad cookware? I’ve only seen their ads on Amazon, and they look pretty cool.

I have 2 stainless steel skillets that I don’t use, a 12” skillet on discount from Home Goods or similar store. The 12” is a couple of years old and food has been sticking on it for the past few months.

Hexclad skillets seem pretty pricy. Are they worth the money? Or should I just get non-stick skillets from TJ Maxx or somewhere and toss it every few years?

I’ve had expensive nonstick pans with lifetime warranties, I’ve had cheap ones and we have AllClad SS I use when needed for bigger stuff.  Have come to the conclusion that I’m going to buy cheap-o’s for nonstick going forward because regardless of price point, careful cleaning, not using sprays and using only plastic/wooden utensils…if they get used everyday like mine do they’re going to degrade at some point.  

So yeah those look nice but as the one who does 95% of the cooking for a family of four, have zero interest at that price point.  My nonstick stuff gets a heavy workout for breakfast, weeknight dinners, etc and the only difference for the expensive ones were they lasted a little longer.  

My cast iron is used for fish, oven stuff, scallops or occasional steak.  The AllClad works great when I’ve got a larger stir fry, sauté or other items.  Cheap nonstick mafia for everything else.  

Edited by Homercles
  • Hook 'Em 2

we have the 7 piece hexclad set they were selling at costco right when the pandemic started.  3 skillets, a wok, and 3 lids.  i love them.  i cook 2 or 3 meals everyday for 6 people.  scrambled eggs sometimes stick but it's easy to wash off b/c you can use steel wool on these things.  are they as nonstick as some of the granite or ultra slick coatings you can find?  no.  eggs won't slide around the pan without some sort of grease (in fact they'll stick).  but guess what you can use metal utensils to cook and they do a great job searing meat.  i haven't used any of my non-stick stuff for a long long time.  i should probably give them away.

20 hours ago, Superhero said:

Does anyone here have Hexclad cookware? I’ve only seen their ads on Amazon, and they look pretty cool.

I have 2 stainless steel skillets that I don’t use…..and food has been sticking on it for the past few months.

Seems like operator error. 

I have 2 stainless steel skillets that I don’t use, a 12” skillet on discount from Home Goods or similar store. The 12” is a couple of years old and food has been sticking on it for the past few months.
Hexclad skillets seem pretty pricy. Are they worth the money? Or should I just get non-stick skillets from TJ Maxx or somewhere and toss it every few years?

You should use your stainless skillets.
  • Like 1

Is all clad SS still considered the gold standard?  We got a set of hard anodized non stick cookware set (not all clad) gifted to us years ago but all the pans are beat to shit with the non stick flaking off.  I think the most abuse ours takes is my kids just throwing it in the pots/pan cabinet unloading the dishwasher.  I want to move away from non stick since the are basically disposable.  Looking into a SS set, but not sure if it's worth it since I have a carbon steel pan that I use a lot.  Don't know if the SS pans would just be redundant.  I've never cooked on SS. 

11 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Is all clad SS still considered the gold standard?  We got a set of hard anodized non stick cookware set (not all clad) gifted to us years ago but all the pans are beat to shit with the non stick flaking off.  I think the most abuse ours takes is my kids just throwing it in the pots/pan cabinet unloading the dishwasher.  I want to move away from non stick since the are basically disposable.  Looking into a SS set, but not sure if it's worth it since I have a carbon steel pan that I use a lot.  Don't know if the SS pans would just be redundant.  I've never cooked on SS. 

All Clad is the shit.  Not redundant with carbon steel.  I much prefer my SS to carbon.  I only have one nonstick pan and it's for eggs only.

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

All Clad is the shit.  Not redundant with carbon steel.  I much prefer my SS to carbon.  I only have one nonstick pan and it's for eggs only.

What about sauce pans and pots?  Is SS that much of a difference maker since it's typically liquids cooking?  Looking at a set because pretty much all of our stuff save a carbon steel pan and a cast iron pan is pretty much garbage.  A set makes sense there, but not really sure how much value i'd get out of their non skillet cookware.

42 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

What about sauce pans and pots?  Is SS that much of a difference maker since it's typically liquids cooking?  Looking at a set because pretty much all of our stuff save a carbon steel pan and a cast iron pan is pretty much garbage.  A set makes sense there, but not really sure how much value i'd get out of their non skillet cookware.

We have stainless sauce pans, too.  I don't like using nonstick.  That's why I only use it for eggs.

I'm not a huge fan of sets because you usually end up with something you don't want/need.  I would just buy the pieces you need.  They'll last a lifetime with proper care.  

• Like 1

Not related but I am starting to build a home in the mountains and the interior decorator was stating that gas cooktops may be disappearing. Certain states like cali are beginning to ban them because of global warming.

As for pans, I was looking for a set of copper pans that are non-stick in some fashion. I found some in Germany but still haven't found any here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

We have stainless sauce pans, too.  I don't like using nonstick.  That's why I only use it for eggs.

I'm not a huge fan of sets because you usually end up with something you don't want/need.  I would just buy the pieces you need.  They'll last a lifetime with proper care.  

This.  Also, All Clad runs a "scratch and dent" sale about every couple of months.  You can get some great deals on items that just have packaging damage.

https://homeandcooksales.com/

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Barkeepers Friend with SS and you’re set

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/16/2022 at 12:49 PM, After irth said:

Seems like operator error. 

Most likely. I mainly use my skillets for eggs and can't flip them without leaving a huge chunk behind.

Someone mentioned you gotta get the skillet nice and hot before you add oil. I've tried that and my food still sticks.

As for the rest of the cookware, I have a set of Cuisineart that's taken a beating for 12 years and still going strong. They replaced a set of Calphalons that lasted only a few years before they got all scratched up even with plastic or wood utensils.

7 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I would highly recommend the All-Clad D-5 cookware except for the crappy handle. Don’t like it. Uncomfortable, not very ergonomic. 

On 7/15/2022 at 6:07 PM, Superhero said:

They get good reviews because you can use metal utensils. Same with AnolonX. I don't own any but I would consider it.

On 7/15/2022 at 6:07 PM, Superhero said:

Be aware that the non-stick coating on Hexclad is PTFE (Teflon). They don't like to advertise it but it's Teflon. 

On 7/18/2022 at 2:20 PM, Bevo said:

Not related but I am starting to build a home in the mountains and the interior decorator was stating that gas cooktops may be disappearing. Certain states like cali are beginning to ban them because of global warming.

As for pans, I was looking for a set of copper pans that are non-stick in some fashion. I found some in Germany but still haven't found any here.

If you end up going the induction cooktop route, those copper pans won't work unless they with some kind of magnetized base that will work on an induction HOB.  I like gas, but not enough to pay the premium to have a gas line run in our situation.  So we went with induction several years ago and it's been great for everything apart from beating the ever living shit out of the pans on the cast iron grates. 

To those shopping for stainless, I've said it elsewhere, but if you get sticker shock with All Clad even on sale, check out Cuisinart's French Classic or Multiclad pro line.  I've had ours (French Classic) for several years and they are rock solid. 

Edited by dcbc

OP sounds like everything you're looking to do you can do with the hexclads. Why wouldn't you go that route? Since I've gotten my hexclads I haven't touched my allclads or Cuisinart pans.

The only times I dont use my hexclads are when I use my wok on the wok burner or when I sear steaks on my cast iron pan outside. I heat it up to 600 on the grill and throw the steaks on it.