2024 presidential candidates' thread

closetohumping

Based on the people who appear to be positioning themselves to run:

Republicans:  Trump is obviously the favorite until he doesn’t run.  If he runs I think he will be likely to get the nomination because the rest of the field would eat themselves just like they did in 2016.  DeSantis could be effective enough over the next 18 months to make Trump view him as a real threat which might make him decide not to run.  I’d say there’s at least a 75% chance Trump or DeSantis will be the Republican nominee.  My dark horse is Nikki Haley.  She’s navigated the last 5 years to pretty much be the only experienced politician who has avoided Trump’s ire while not buying/selling the big lie.  Chris Sununu and Larry Hogan have been rumored to want to run, and they would be the moderate choice if Trumpism dies (it won’t).  Charlie Baker would be the best GOP candidate for president imho but I do not think he could win the nomination without selling his soul.  Retreads like Romney and Christie have no shot.  Abbott or Cheney or Pence…LoLz.

Democrats: I still find it really really hard to imagine Biden not being the nominee if he’s alive and able to stand/speak at all.  I still think Biden would have the best shot against Trump but I would bet against him to beat DeSantis or any of the other more moderate candidates.  If Biden drops out or things get worse domestically to the point that it’s obvious he can’t win, Newsom is certainly a viable candidate and should be the heavy betting favorite.  Whitmer should be in the mix.  Mayor Pete might make a good president one day but he does not have a chance this cycle.  Like Baker on the GOP side, Andy Beshear would be a good candidate.  Sanders and Warren need to chill.  Harris…lol.  And of course there’s always the risk of a billionaire buying his/her way into the mix.

DeSantis/Newsom would make for some good debates.

If Trump wins the presidency, it’s the end of the world.

Edited by Snake Diggity
  • Hook 'Em 4

12 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Abbott or Cheney or Pence…LoLz.

You forgot Pompeo.  

Actually, he's pretty forgettable so that's understandable.

11 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

I don’t think there’s any way he runs but if he does he doesn’t stand a chance. 

ISWYDT

Edited by Bullneck

Just now, David Dennison said:

It seems like he checks a lot of the boxes that you don't necessarily want for a Democratic candidate for president: elite, white, male, San Francisco, California

Newsom vs DeSantis debates would be a fucking hoot to watch. 

Ron DeSantis literally went to court to fight cruise ships requiring vaccines in order to sail from Florida.

Gavin Newsome goes to French Laundry during the pandemic while asking others to stay at home and a very visible/well-known homeless issue.

Mayor Pete may (hopefully) one day be President, but he needs a higher profile role first.

2 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

DeSantis could be effective enough over the next 18 months to make Trump view him as a real threat which might make him decide not to run.

Dotard could sink Desantis with one well-placed Facebook campaign asking the "true patriots" how could they live with themselves if they voted for a dirty Mexican like Desantis?

• Haha 3

lol this thread is hilarious.

Joe Biden will be the Democratic nominee and no one will try and primary him. You don’t give up the incumbency advantage.

All the other Democrats mentioned are laying their groundwork for 2028.

Mayor Pete will never be president.

Kamala Harris will never be president.

For the GQP, Trump will be the nominee. If he doesn’t decide to run or is dead (please god) or in jail (PLEASE GOD), it’ll be one of his insane minions.

There. Pay me my $9.95.

• Hook 'Em 3

15 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Joe Biden will be the Democratic nominee and no one will try and primary him. You don’t give up the incumbency advantage.

For the GQP, Trump will be the nominee. If he doesn’t decide to run or is dead (please god) or in jail (PLEASE GOD), it’ll be one of his insane minions.

There. Pay me my $9.95.

I agree with this as of today. As we’ve been saying though, two years is a lifetime in politics and the landscape can change dramatically. 

• Hook 'Em 3

For Ds- Interesting that we have a first term administration and in the first few posts nobody has mentioned either POTUS or VP as an option.  Biden is obviously an age thing, but how do they just gently move Harris over without pissing off a large block of the base?  It'll be interesting for sure.

Biden could retire in February 2023, making Harris the first woman President. That would potentially give her the incumbent’s advantage for two elections. (Can’t serve more than 10 years, thus the Feb 2023 timeframe.) That would be after Biden taking the hits on pulling out of Afghanistan and the inevitable post-pandemic inflation.

While I think that’s the best case scenario for the Dems (barring some youth serum for Biden), who knows if Biden would be onboard. The elderly aren’t always willing to step aside and Biden wanted the Office for a long time. 2 and Q is a lot to ask for.

2 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

There. Pay me my $9.95.

Trump vs. Biden II. That's depressing.

I haven't seen any polls on this yet, but I have to wonder how much of the Republican block will be "Only-Trumper" votes.  Like the inverse of the 2016 election, there were a small group of R's who were called "Never Trumpers," and wanted just about anyone else to be the nominee. We know in hindsight most of them held their nose and still voted for him, but I think this opposite group could be much more of a challenge given how Trump's cult of personality has grown. If Trump doesn't play nice with someone else getting the nomination, he could torpedo their chances by tweets, holding rallies, running third party, etc. I think there are a good amount of "Only-Trumper" votes that write his name in, even if he's not on the ballot or doesn't even run in 2024. I don't know how many votes that will be overall, but if the nominee doesn't cozy up to that voting block, they could be lacking a good chunk of the enthusiastic voters that helped the Rs win in 2016.  

Edited by Dutchrudder
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

That's depressing.

You know what I find depressing in a long line of depressing events?

That less than a month ago, 46 dead bodies were found in a trailer outside of San Antonio and the governor of Texas rambled on about Biden's open border* but then quickly moved on because it was necessary to 'celebrate' the SCOTUS Roe v Wade decision that occurred four days earlier. That despite the body count of 21 from the school shooting that was a month to the day prior to the SCOTUS decision, Abbott and the rest of the GOP would not blink, stutter, or sigh if a trailer of dead women seeking healthcare elsewhere was discovered on the Texas state line, or any other 'red' state for that matter.

Whether it is  fascism, authoritarianism, a theocracy, or a blend of the three, the rising body count does not seem to cause any ripples of concern or regret for them. On the contrary, it is apparently a frisson of delight that the dead bring to the politicians and their supporters in that these nameless individuals can be fought over, used as political fodder, and then a week, a day, an hour later, left forgotten.

When the pursuit  of passing laws in Texas are eerily similar to the Fugitive Slave Acts of 1793 and 1850, one might just be heading in the wrong direction. That, I find, is depressing.

*'Open' is relative to the inhumanity of what occurred under the previous administration. From March 2020 to February 2022, 1.7 million expulsions have been carried out under Title 42, with 1.2 million of them occurring under the Biden administration. --Source: Migration Policy Institute based on government data.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Trump vs. Biden II. That's depressing.

Both of these guys are too old.  We’re the most powerful country in the history of the world. Surely we can do better than two octogenarians? Will be a lot of divisive mud slinging that I think alot of us are tired of

10 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

I want Porter or Abrams v Chaney or Kinzinger 

I will get Biden v little hands 

Interesting thinking.  Like it. 

Katie "Whiteboard" Porter is definitely a good communicator and a good candidate.  Kinzinger switching parties would be awesome as well.  

7 hours ago, David Dennison said:

It seems like he checks a lot of the boxes that you don't necessarily want for a Democratic candidate for president: elite, white, male, San Francisco, California

While not blood related to pelosi, there is a connection.  His aunt was married to her brother in law.   Cronyism, nepotism could come out even if it’s actually not true or inconsequential 

3 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Both of these guys are too old.  We’re the most powerful country in the history of the world. Surely we can do better than two octogenarians? Will be a lot of divisive mud slinging that I think alot of us are tired of

I fully fucking agree.  Man, if only one party could get off the fascism track, maybe we could worry about that shit.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Who the hell is Pritzker?  At least I've heard of Abrams, but her ovaries and melanin levels won't let her be electable.

To be electable, she must win the GA Governor election. She's now raising more than Kemp, but the polls have been consistently in Kemp's favor throughout the race. 

Katie "Whiteboard" Porter is definitely a good communicator and a good candidate.  Kinzinger switching parties would be awesome as well.  
Porter would be an amazing president. But she's somewhat unattractive and as stupid and superficial as that is, it would make it hard for her to gain traction. I would love to be wrong.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

Kinzinger’s positions on voting rights, abortion, gerrymandering, gay rights, etc. make him a nonstarter.

Y’all got to quit touting Never Trump Republicans as a solution.

They’re after the same ends, they just have more palatable means.
  • Hook 'Em 4

10 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Kinzinger’s positions on voting rights, abortion, gerrymandering, gay rights, etc. make him a nonstarter.

Y’all got to quit touting Never Trump Republicans as a solution.

They’re after the same ends, they just have more palatable means.

No one is going to vote for the motherfuckers. Just would be nice if the opponent didn’t believe in fascism.