I want to go to the UK next summer. Learn me please…

tbone_

I’ve never been. Thinking London, Scotland, and maybe Ireland for a week to 10 days.

I want to do touristy UK shit. And see old stuff, castles etc. Will have 16 yo daughter with me.

I’m not even sure where to start so I’m open to any recommendations. Hopefully it will be less hot than Dallas when we go.

Much appreciation in advance.

• Like 1

Edinburgh is one of my fav cities on the planet. I wish we would have stayed there longer and London shorter.

nothing against London, that’s just how much I enjoyed Edinburgh. We did the train from London and saw the countryside which was really enjoyable as well.

• Hook 'Em 1

A few years ago we started in Dublin took a train to Belfast and then a ferry across to Scotland and did a week around Scotland before ending in London. Great trip and it sounds like you’ll have a bit more time than we did. You can do the London highlights in 2 days so I’d spend more time in Scotland as well. Edinburgh is great and the more north you go the prettier it gets. 

Can only speak to London. Haven't had the chance to do the others yet. We were there 3 days and did all the regular tourist things. Westminster Abbey,Tower of London, British Museum, British Library, changing of the guard at Buckingham, Tate Modern. Kids wanted to see Abbey Road, so we went there and walked across the street like the Beatles did. 

You can start with pics.

You can start with a bag of dicks
Edinburgh is one of my fav cities on the planet. I wish we would have stayed there longer and London shorter.

nothing against London, that’s just how much I enjoyed Edinburgh. We did the train from London and saw the countryside which was really enjoyable as well.

This has been my first working theory.

Specific things you dug about Edinburgh?

IMO 7 days is too short to do London plus Scotland (Ireland is out of the picture). With 7 days, 4 in London barely scratches the surface but alles a day trip or two to Bath or Oxford or Portsmouth. It’s more economical and less tiring. 

If 10 days, 5 and 5 makes sense. Train from London to Edinburgh, spend a day, then get a car and roam. 

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

You can start with a bag of dicks
This has been my first working theory.

Specific things you dug about Edinburgh?

The historical sites, the food, the booze. We slept 3 hours each nite because there was so much to do. Do everything.

• Hook 'Em 1

Unpopular opinion, from a visual/sightseeing perspective, London is the most underwhelming place for me.  Trafalgar square, London bridge, Big Ben, Buckingham Palace, Hyde or Regent or St James park, Piccadilly circus, etc, its extremely meh.

The country as a whole in the Spring is super green and so pleasant though. 

Edinburgh is small, but has a lot of charm.

Wales is worth a detour because... when else are you gonna go?

1 hour ago, After irth said:

Duration? Amenities? Comfort? Can you elaborate on the train ride experience?  

I took a LNER train from Edinburgh to London in April.   It's about 5 hours but it doesn't feel like it because you are watching the English countryside and small towns.    I booked a first class seat which costs right around 100 lbs.  Good meal.  Drinks. Wine etc.  Bathrooms are very clean.

IMO 7 days is too short to do London plus Scotland (Ireland is out of the picture).

Agree with this but if you have only 7 you'll need to cut somewhere but it also depends what you like.   I've done everything in London on a previous trip so most of my time was spent at the stadium for a tour and match.   I think you can do most of London in 3 days and most of Edinburgh in 3 as well.

Edited by midtown
  • Hook 'Em 1

As for London, if you and your daughter like tennis, go when Wimbledon is being played (late June-early July).  Go on day 1, 2, or 3 of the tournament and do the queue.  If you don't mind spending $$$ get debentures online for Centre Court or Court 1 (also a stadium court).  Court 1 is less expensive and you still will see some top players on days 1-3.  You are guaranteed three matches in either stadium and you can also watch any other match on the grounds.  Make sure you go to the Churchill War Rooms (yes, avatar checks out).  Find a half day private walking guide online or get a recommendation from the hotel concierge--they are not too expensive, and walk the St. James/Buckingham Palace/Whitehall areas.  I recommend the Dukes hotel in St. James.  Great location and not horribly expensive.  And check out St. Paul's.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, HouTex said:

As for London, if you and your daughter like tennis, go when Wimbledon is being played (late June-early July).  Go on day 1, 2, or 3 of the tournament and do the queue.  If you don't mind spending $$$ get debentures online for Centre Court or Court 1 (also a stadium court).  Court 1 is less expensive and you still will see some top players on days 1-3.  You are guaranteed three matches in either stadium and you can also watch any other match on the grounds.  Make sure you go to the Churchill War Rooms (yes, avatar checks out).  Find a half day private walking guide online or get a recommendation from the hotel concierge--they are not too expensive, and walk the St. James/Buckingham Palace/Whitehall areas.  I recommend the Dukes hotel in St. James.  Great location and not horribly expensive.  And check out St. Paul's.

...and if you couldn't give 1/100th of a fuck about tennis, congratulations, you're my kinda people.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Kennythetiger said:

Don’t go. It’s hotter than shit there and 80% of the houses don’t have air conditioning. Learned that on the news yesterday. You’re welcome.

He said next summer and hotels do have air conditioning

...and if you couldn't give 1/100th of a fuck about tennis, congratulations, you're my kinda people.

Imagine going all the way to the UK to watch dumb fucking tennis?  

Edited by midtown

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I like it when the hot females make somewhat sexual sounding noises when they hit the ball.  I don’t want to watch that for 3 hours, but 15 minutes from time to time is nice.  The fish and chips place at Heathrow was suprisingly good. Really good for airport grub.  I don’t remember the name because we had an 8 hour delay on top of an 8 hour layover, so I grabbed a bottle of Blanton’s gold from the duty free shop and passed the time by drinking it.  Those are my 16 hours on the native land of most of my ancestors.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, HouTex said:

Make sure you go to the Churchill War Rooms (yes, avatar checks out). 

86646FA4-63C2-4112-9056-BBEA8D0DB364.thumb.jpeg.26864e7a9ce33cc8fef559cecbb3a89d.jpeg651CA386-D13D-4390-8712-C4089AB9F093.thumb.jpeg.8bd0c98cd60e238eb9350d383b95570e.jpeg

My son (14) and I went to the Churchill War Rooms today. The audio tour was phenomenal. Afterward, we went to ‘The 4 'O' Clock Parade’ to watch the end of day inspection of the Queen’s Life Guard. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just got back from a trip there.  I went to London, Liverpool, and Edinburg in 11 days.  London was fun but probably my least favorite of the three. Everything was cool but I honestly felt like after the 4th day I was kind of done with it.  Keep in mind it was historically hot so that might affect my opinion.

Liverpool was surprisingly really cool and a fun city to grab a drink in. The people there are just super nice and as soon as they hear your accent, they want to talk. My affection for The Beatles and Liverpool FC probably make me like it more than some.

Edinburg is great and we should have spent more time there.  Every single person I met in the way up told me I should go to Glasgow and insisted Glasgow was more fun. Just relaying that.