Leak coming from attic

Moved into a new house and noticed water is dripping from the attic onto the back porch. 25b259af2c0d40e6f50eb9cd48809172.jpg

85771d71302643b9080e855a8463ba6c.jpg

I went up in the attic and there is a PVC pipe that goes up and over the ac unit into the wall.

108ea9699a6c90167f73c5de29da9cc3.jpg

There is nothing wet anywhere I can find. The water heater is on the opposite side of the house in the garage. The laundry room is located underneath where that pvc pipe goes into the wall.

4 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

That's what I was thinking, but isn't there a sensor that turns off the ac when the pan fills?  

Yes, but the pan isn't filling because its running out the pvc to the back.  Still needs to be found and fixed, though.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

My house has something like this set up. There's a normal ac drain that goes into a nearby bathroom sink drain, and if it gets clogged and fills up there's a second pipe coming from the ac that goes into a drain pan. That pan has a pipe that empties out in front of a window in the back, so if you see water dripping out, then you know the main ac drain is clogged. 

You can try going up into your attic ac unit and pouring some vinegar down the drain or bleach mixed with water if that doesn't work. Otherwise get a plumber to blow the clog out. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I don’t know if all A/Cs have that. Or maybe hot the double whammy.

Only reason I know is because Shaggy helped me with my own similar ac issues a few years ago.  My ac would turn off.  When this would happen, the overflow pan would be full, which flipped the sensor.  I'd have to take a bucket and drain it by hand.  IIRC, there may have been a freon leak somewhere which was freezing the unit and backing it up.

• Like 1

It's piss.

1 minute ago, Viper said:

My house has something like this set up. There's a normal ac drain that goes into a nearby bathroom sink drain, and if it gets clogged and fills up there's a second pipe coming from the ac that goes into a drain pan. That pan has a pipe that empties out in front of a window in the back, so if you see water dripping out, then you know the main ac drain is clogged. 

You can try going up into your attic ac unit and pouring some vinegar down the drain or bleach mixed with water if that doesn't work. Otherwise get a plumber to blow the clog out. 

Or more likely ^this

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

My attic AC unit drains primarily into the hall bathroom sink.  If that line gets clogged, then it redirects outside the house like in the picture.  First step is to locate the primary drain line and check for clogs.  

This is it, the sensor in the pan is to help you if they BOTH get clogged so it does not over flow. 

• Like 1

It's the secondary drain for A/C. It's likely positioned in front of a window -- they are supposed to be in a conspicuous place so that you can see it drip and address the issue. With the hot summer, the A/C has likely been running a lot, which leads to a build up of mildew in the line (insulation, etc. can also clog it). 

53 minutes ago, Viper said:

Your mom blew out my clog last night. 

• Like 1

Above is correct. Dealing with the same all summer. Cleared main line to sink drain and pour bleach but keeps backing up, over flow pan starts to fill up and then goes out overflow pipe out side of house. If 2nd drain clogs the kill float will trigger. Working as designed but wish I could get main line all cleared out.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

It's the secondary drain for A/C. It's likely positioned in front of a window -- they are supposed to be in a conspicuous place so that you can see it drip and address the issue. With the hot summer, the A/C has likely been running a lot, which leads to a build up of mildew in the line (insulation, etc. can also clog it). 

Yep.  I've seen them located directly over a bathtub

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Upgrayedd said:

I’m not sure if I’m looking at this right, but if the piece of white pvc sticking up is the condensate vent, it should not be sealed 

that's the cleanout opening allowing for easier clearing..  One of these ($3.00) from Home Depot works great on these and then hit with some vinegar.

image.thumb.png.2bc03ea4b657ca1bdc3930f756f6794e.png

• Like 1

I always use bleach instead of vinegar.  And like others have mentioned, go look underneath your sinks and find which ones these drain to.  The clog may be there.  Pour some bleach in those sinks to make sure the algae that forms is dead. I had this exact issue a couple of months ago and the bleach solved it.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

that's the cleanout opening allowing for easier clearing..  One of these ($3.00) from Home Depot works great on these and then hit with some vinegar.

image.thumb.png.2bc03ea4b657ca1bdc3930f756f6794e.png

I had one of those but it just wasn't long enough to do anything

/that'swhatshesaid

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, TeeDubya said:

Strongly suggest something like this in the floor of the pan.  It will notify you when moisture appears in the drain pan, and you can deal with it before overflow.

https://www.techhive.com/article/578595/flo-by-moen-smart-water-detector-review.html

Yep. I had a drain back up. It's (was) a single drain with no backup that drains out by the outside unit. No secondary drain, no float switch. Noticed that the floor near the inside unit was warping and realized it had been leaking for a week or two. 

Cleaned the drain, installed a float kill switch, put a pan under the unit where it was dripping surrounded by absorbent snakes. Then put an alarm in that pan. Last thing I want is that thing to leak again without me knowing it. 

12 hours ago, chikin23 said:

Update:

Tried all of the above and it’s still dripping. Turned it off for a while yesterday and it stopped but has started up again today.

Do you have more than one A/C unit? Or what is the other (2nd) pipe coming out of eves connected to?

Because of location over patio I would have to think these are secondary drains letting you know there is issue with system (air handler or slow primary drain)

• Like 1

You're on the right track with knowing this is the secondary drain and the primary is clogged.  You are victim of the same thing many people in this thread complain about.  It is not easy to clear the clog in the primary drain.  

Pour bleach down it from up top (Not in the pan, but in that vent pipe sticking up) It probably gets diluted by the standing water in the pipe because the blocks usually form close to the bathroom sink.

Other method is to go to the bathroom sink and pull off the connector hose and use a shop vac to suck the clog out.  Then pour bleach through it once it is hooked back together.

My sinks that drain the AC water are always getting clogged too.  It is a horrible setup.

• Like 1

Or for $100, and A/C company can come out at blow out the lines with some compressed air.  After you finally get it cleared, make it a regular practice to dump some bleach down the drains a couple of times in the summer. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

You're on the right track with knowing this is the secondary drain and the primary is clogged.  You are victim of the same thing many people in this thread complain about.  It is not easy to clear the clog in the primary drain.  
Pour bleach down it from up top (Not in the pan, but in that vent pipe sticking up) It probably gets diluted by the standing water in the pipe because the blocks usually form close to the bathroom sink.
Other method is to go to the bathroom sink and pull off the connector hose and use a shop vac to suck the clog out.  Then pour bleach through it once it is hooked back together.
My sinks that drain the AC water are always getting clogged too.  It is a horrible setup.

This is the answer. Had a guy come look at it today and he said the sink has the clog and the two lines are attached.

Thanks for all the replies and help in getting it figured out.

All the advice above is pretty good.  Usually overflow drain is someplace visible.  Like near back door, or in front of kitchen window where you are more likely to see it.  If your installation is new you should have an overflow cutoff sensor that cuts the power to the A/C. when the pan fills up in the attic.  Basically the cutoff is so you get off your ass and go up and check why you are sweating... rather than figure out how to replace ceiling sheet rock and soggy moldy insulation.

Always good to put some bleach down the drain pipe once a year as a precaution. 

If your drains are clogging it's hair a lot of the time.  And that's something that you just have to stay on top of if it's a reoccurring problem.

Just ordered me one of these.  Found it elsewhere on line for $67.00.  My AC unit is in the attic, so getting a shop vac up there is a pain in the ass.  Will report back to see how hard it sucks/blows.

https://www.amazon.com/Rectorseal-97795-Mighty-Condensate-Drain/dp/B003GC8NEE/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=ac%2Bline%2Bpump&qid=1658935824&sr=8-5&th=1&psc=1