Bruce @ Moody Center, 2/16

Beau Vine

Sweatergawd, I was one of the youngest people in my entire section.  Almost no one stood during the songs at all.  The people to my right looked like they had just come from church.  Two people who were supposed to go with me got covid separately, so I ended up selling two on Stubhub.  The dude who bought them was a young guy.  He showed up an hour into a concert with a hawt/vapid girl wearing a fur coat.  You could tell that had been arguing because they both looked furious.  They sat for two songs, then got up and left to get food.  She played with her phone the entire time.  I noticed him playing air drums on BTR, but they both looked confused when everyone stood and sang along with Thunder Road.  

How the hell does Bruce find a substitute on short notice for a band member who's sick, and get them up to speed on the production of the show?  I assume that's part of why he didn't do requests last night?

Eddie "Kingfish" Manion has played with Bruce, Stevie Southside Johnny & the Asbury Jukes for decades. He's a pro's pro, and likely would have been the permanent fill in (can't say "replacement") for Clarence if Jake wasn't capable. Eddie's got more chops than Jake, and he's been part of this tour as a member of the E Street Horns section. I'm pretty sure this is at least the 3rd time he's toured with Bruce. And I'm sure during rehearsals Bruce & Co developed contingency plans knowing that covid was going to be an issue throughout the tour.

Yeah, it was an eye opener seeing how many attendees were using canes & looked like they could barely manage the stairs to their seats.

Incredible show & the E Street Band has got to be the tightest band in the land hands down. Just remarkable to see them blast through 27 songs with that precision & intensity 2 weeks into the tour. If that's the last time I see ESB then that's a pretty damn solid set list to go out on.

BTW, anyone know the story behind George Strait acting as emcee & introducing them at the start of the concert?

• Drool 1

^^^^ Depends on where you were sitting.  Our section stood most of the time. I was right of the stage lower level.  Pretty good seats.  I noticed some of the sections far from the stage were mostly in a sit down mode.  It was a fabulous show, as expected.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah that Chekhov guy can eat shit. I was very surprised George Strait never came back out for a song.

I really enjoyed the show. He played Johnny 99, and the Jersey person I was with who’d seen him dozens of times said it was unlikely he’d play anything off Nebraska, so that was a nice surprise. I also really like Wrecking Ball despite being a Cowboys fan so I was glad to hear that one. Then all the classics when the house lights were up.

I realize this makes me a retard, but I’d forgotten max weinberg was his drummer. I mean, if I was asked the question I’d know the answer, but when I saw him I was like oh yeah! Every time the Jumbotron cut to him it felt like we were going to commercial. Max!

Thumbs up. Great time. Glad I went.

15 minutes ago, MAUFRAIS said:

I also really like Wrecking Ball despite being a Cowboys fan so I was glad to hear that one.

That was the highlight of the concert for me.  Not one of my favorite songs, but what they did with it was incredible.

OTOH, I didn't think Candy's Room translated well to live at all.

Candy's Room is a song I've never seen live before so I'm glad it was in the set, although I can see how it might not have been an ideal fit. In fact, in a set list that focused on celebration, acknowledging friendships and those we've lost over, and finding the strength and determination to move forward during uncertain times (Wrecking Ball was a revelation in this environment), Candy's Room really doesn't fit at all. I suspect that its inclusion in the set (and I believe it's been played every night) may be due to Bruce asking ESB members for a song that they've always wanted to play more, and Max opting for Candy's Room. It's certainly a showcase for his ability (not that his vastly underrated skills weren't on display all night), and I recall a YouTube with him during Covid when he would answer questions submitted by fans where he talked about how much he enjoyed playing that song.

Everyone gets a chance to shine on this tour. If you're counting on an ESB tour after this one you're not reading the tea leaves. This show is a beautiful goodbye, and ending the show with a solo acoustic "I'll See You in my Dreams" was about all I could have hoped for.

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

3 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Sweatergawd, I was one of the youngest people in my entire section.  Almost no one stood during the songs at all.  The people to my right looked like they had just come from church.  Two people who were supposed to go with me got covid separately, so I ended up selling two on Stubhub.  The dude who bought them was a young guy.  He showed up an hour into a concert with a hawt/vapid girl wearing a fur coat.  You could tell that had been arguing because they both looked furious.  They sat for two songs, then got up and left to get food.  She played with her phone the entire time.  I noticed him playing air drums on BTR, but they both looked confused when everyone stood and sang along with Thunder Road.  

How the hell does Bruce find a substitute on short notice for a band member who's sick, and get them up to speed on the production of the show?  I assume that's part of why he didn't do requests last night?

I was in 212 and swear I saw this couple walk in.  But damn it was a sausage party and the hot womenz pickings were slim.   Show was great though!

One complaint.  We were entertaining a customer and they wanted something to eat around 8:15.  Walk out to get pizza rolls or something for them, and they shut the hot food down at 8, for a concert that started at 7:30 and went to 10:45pm.  Fucking ridiculous

Great show. Puts a bookend to seeing him at the Armadillo in '70's, along with a few other times.

High energy, Born to Run Bruce, when I was 18 pegged the meter for me, and last night was special, for many reasons.  He still brings a lot of energy, and still has that unbridled passion for performing.   

Watching the icons of my youth aging, and dying, is ... just life.  His story about joining a band at age 15 in '65, and being the only one alive resonates with me.  

We had 5th row floor seats; thanks #1 son.  Nice to get the full panoramic view of the 17 piece band & vocals. Everybody around us stood and danced for most of the show, including the Jersey girls next to me. The young 'un was a Surly 9.9. Free parking in 18th street garage.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I've stood shoulder to shoulder w/ Bruce twice and he's legit 5'9, maybe 5'10 in boots (I'm 6'1). His head is like 1.5 times normal size, however, with a really long jaw & chin.

Bono is tiny. And though I can respect him not going down the road of plastic surgery (except for his hair plugs), he is turning into an actual leprechaun in front of our eyes. 

• Haha 1

Late to the game but such a great show. The energy and stamina of Springsteen are truly amazing. Right at 3 hours and looked like he could go for another hour. We saw him go back near the drum kit for one drink from a water bottle. I'm sure that wasn't it but he was non-stop. Just such an outstanding entertainer. 

Saw him last night in Tulsa.  Simply outstanding.  Three straight hours and could have easily been five or six.  Band was incredibly tight.

Laughed, though, because we're 48 years old and we were younger than the average age by about 15 years.  Upside to that is everyone sits down for most of the show.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Also, at one point, the wife (no pics) leaned over and said "So, he's as old as our parents!!??"

Yes, he is.  Impressive.

So last Thursday I sang along to all 27 songs--every word--half under my breath at a level that no one else likely would have heard Except for the moments when he implored the audience to sing in unison with him, of course. My wife and I split a tasty $5 bottle of water, with her drinking 2/3rds of it. On Friday I had a frog in my throat & sounded like a pack a day smoker. By Saturday my voice was normal. How the hell does anyone sing full throated like that for that long each show & still be able to perform in 48 hours?