Austin FC

Bottlecap

Stuver was the only bright spot tonight. Seriously, the only one.

Shitty touches, waiting in the ball amd getting passes stolen, not able to press the ball forward quickly, beaten on multiple fast breaks (we got lucky, and Stuver played well). I feel like things went backward tonight.

Shitty touches, waiting in the ball amd getting passes stolen, not able to press the ball forward quickly, beaten on multiple fast breaks (we got lucky, and Stuver played well). I feel like things went backward tonight.
Stuver has the tools to be world class but needs a whole lot of discipline and maturity. He's a little old to be needing that. I couldn't believe that one kick he had that went off the SC striker's back.

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Just curious... why do you not comment on any of the other soccer threads? You seem to have a knowledge of the game to some degree - why is an upstart MLS team getting all of your attention?

3 hours ago, gsoda3 said:
3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Stuver has the tools to be world class but needs a whole lot of discipline and maturity. He's a little old to be needing that. I couldn't believe that one kick he had that went off the SC striker's back.

No one that is 30 and playing MLS has the tools to be world class. He isn't too old to be needing that he's too old to ever get there. 

But I've rated him pretty well in the few games I've seen - at an MLS level.

And btw - world class to me is like top 15 at your position in the world. 

Edited by ztejas

we seem to have forgotten the tactics that got us six points while also leaving stroud, fagundez, and gallagher, our most productive attackers, on the bench, and all while having a very shitty back line. Besler needs to sit. Seattle is going to murder him.

6 hours ago, ztejas said:

No one that is 30 and playing MLS has the tools to be world class. He isn't too old to be needing that he's too old to ever get there. 

But I've rated him pretty well in the few games I've seen - at an MLS level.

And btw - world class to me is like top 15 at your position in the world. 

i should have qualified it with the word physical.  it shows up in his reactive play and he has the talent there to be top 15 in the world.  and we agree at his age he's still missing the mental element he should've developed 6-10 years ago.

7 hours ago, ztejas said:

Just curious... why do you not comment on any of the other soccer threads? You seem to have a knowledge of the game to some degree - why is an upstart MLS team getting all of your attention?

Mostly a function of time -- only have so much time to follow sports these days.  I grew up playing through high school, till I blew out my knee (I was never great, but I understood the game).  My childhood best friends were soccer teammates of mine.

I follow the MNT (sometimes....not lately, because Jesus they're awful).  I watch Premier League matches when I have a free Sunday morning, and love to watch Champions League matches.  I'm no expert, for sure.  

But as for getting into MLS, one of the aforementioned childhood teammates is one of the faces of Atlanta United (seriously, he's on their promotional materials -- as a fan, not a player -- we're old).  He loves it, his whole family attends games, so getting an MLS team here made that accessible.  And, we have some connection to the Austin FC program and Academy, so we got some nice tickets.  Looking forward to going to matches.

But goddamn, I sure hope they get their shit together.  Between no aggressive attack with speedy breakaways to having a back line that gets beaten on the regular.....well, if you're hurting in those two places, that's not great, Bob.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Bottlecap said:

based on what i saw at hopsquad last night, Q2 is gonna look and feel like mardi gras

Is Hopsquad a good place to watch a match? I was there a couple of weeks ago in the afternoon when they were setting up for a watch party, but I couldn't stick around until game time.

I've been to 3 breweries (circle, adelbert's, hopsquad) to catch matches since game 1 and they are far and away above the best spot. Energy is unreal, getting better and less awkward each time as casual folks start to buying into the culture. Los Verdes and La Murga de Austin set up there. The beer seems a bit off since having to scale up so quickly and unexpectedly, but the last couple batches of Italian pilsner has been pitch perfect and the mexican lager feels a bit more dialed in and less malty than the past. Either way, yes, great game watching spot both indoors and out.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Bottlecap said:

I've been to 3 breweries (circle, adelbert's, hopsquad) to catch matches since game 1 and they are far and away above the best spot. Energy is unreal, getting better and less awkward each time as casual folks start to buying into the culture. Los Verdes and La Murga de Austin set up there. The beer seems a bit off since having to scale up so quickly and unexpectedly, but the last couple batches of Italian pilsner has been pitch perfect and the mexican lager feels a bit more dialed in and less malty than the past. Either way, yes, great game watching spot both indoors and out.

Well, we keep drinking them out of Zapatista. I don’t think they anticipated the extreme demand created by LV watch parties.

• Haha 1

Also....game day transportation and parking options.  Obviously, super-limited on-site parking, and we didn't get super VIP tix, so we won't have parking passes.  Any word on area businesses etc. setting up to allow parking, and then walk to the stadium?  There's a metric shit-ton of nearby businesses that could surely have paid on-site parking on gamedays, but since we don't have any history here....not sure what they'll be.  I'm thinking that maybe we just get to the area early before the first game (we may go to the USWNT game on the 16th), and look for friendly lots?

there will be plenty of space around the venue for parking, just not directly affiliated with Q2. I would definitely look into ride share or the red line. oh wait, those chucklefucks at cap metro stopped weekend service lol nm. 🙄

eventually they'll have service to mckalla tho

Edited by Bottlecap

6 hours ago, Bottlecap said:

Thanks for the info. I'll definitely check out a game there. I can't remember the name of the beer I had, but I was a Mexican-Irish beer that was fantastic.

42 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Also....game day transportation and parking options.  Obviously, super-limited on-site parking, and we didn't get super VIP tix, so we won't have parking passes.  Any word on area businesses etc. setting up to allow parking, and then walk to the stadium?  There's a metric shit-ton of nearby businesses that could surely have paid on-site parking on gamedays, but since we don't have any history here....not sure what they'll be.  I'm thinking that maybe we just get to the area early before the first game (we may go to the USWNT game on the 16th), and look for friendly lots?

I’d expect a private parking situation similar to Texas/OU. Think the businesses on the Delta/Denton/Donley loop will be prime locations but you’ll have to walk up to Braker to get across the track.

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Bottlecap said:

there will be plenty of space around the venue for parking, just not directly affiliated with Q2. I would definitely look into ride share or the red line. oh wait, those chucklefucks at cap metro stopped weekend service lol nm. 🙄

eventually they'll have service to mckalla tho

Red Line is running on game days. Says that in the graphic.

4 minutes ago, skittlebrau said:

I’d expect a private parking situation similar to Texas/OU. Think the businesses on the Delta/Denton/Donley loop will be prime locations but you’ll have to walk up to Braker to get across the track.

That's what I'm counting on.  I have no problem donating my $20 to the fine folks of Bob's Electronics Repair Shop or what have you down Braker, and walking 15 minutes to get to the game.

22 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Probably just gonna catch the 803 (IIRC) on Burnet. It stops right up by the stadium and goes each direction every 15 minutes.

Generally, the Metro Rapids are pretty kick ass but be prepared to hoof it from the heart of the Pickle Research Campus to the stadium. 

Here's the closest stop for the 803: https://www.google.com/maps/place/UT+Research+Campus+Station+(NB)/@30.3860786,-97.7264958,1192m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m22!1m16!4m15!1m6!1m2!1s0x8644b599a0cc032f:0x5d9b464bd469d57a!2sAustin,+TX!2m2!1d-97.7430608!2d30.267153!1m6!1m2!1s0x8644cb890bfb435b:0xb68746319ee82884!2sUT+Research+Campus+Station+(NB),+Austin,+TX+78758!2m2!1d-97.727049!2d30.388232!3e3!3m4!1s0x8644cb890bfb435b:0xb68746319ee82884!8m2!3d30.388232!4d-97.727049

Normally not one to post something that borderlines on spam, BUT this is relevant here.

If you like free and discounted stuff - Kellogg's has a deal for you:

Buy 5 Pringles or Cheez It products, get a $50 gift card for the MLS store.

Hey, you want an official Austin FC jersey? $50 off makes that a no brainer.

Full details here:

https://www.kelloggsfamilyrewards.com/en_US/promotions/mls-2021.html

From what I can tell, the item to buy is going to be the Pringles as they are the cheapest things on the list.

Tickets went live in the SeatGeek accounts today.

I'll be out of town for the first match and want to sell them. From the prices so far, I ought to be able to recoup 2/3 of the season ticket costs from the first game.  However, the Sell button isn't displayed per the instructions on the website. Any idea on how to list them for sale?

40 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Tickets went live in the SeatGeek accounts today.

I'll be out of town for the first match and want to sell them. From the prices so far, I ought to be able to recoup 2/3 of the season ticket costs from the first game.  However, the Sell button isn't displayed per the instructions on the website. Any idea on how to list them for sale?

Damn!, seats in section 236 from $1000/each.  I might have to sell mine too - once we figure out how to do it.

More on the CapMetro station:

CapMetro approves contract to build rail station at Austin FC stadiumAn artist's rendering shows what the proposed Red Line rail station at Q2 Stadium could look like.

A rail station at Austin FC's Q2 Stadium is a go after Capital Metro's board approved a financial agreement Monday that calls for the Major League Soccer team to help pay for its construction and maintenance.

CapMetro's board approved a resolution to finalize the agreement with Austin Stadco LLC, the Austin FC subsidiary that supervised the construction of Q2 Stadium.

Austin FC will pay $640,000 up front for the construction of a rail station and bus stops at Q2 Stadium. The team will then pay $3 million over the following 15 years to CapMetro. Payments for the rail station will start either when construction begins or on March 1, 2022, according to the agreement.

The construction of a rail station at the stadium was one of the chief selling points in bringing an MLS team to Austin. The cost terms were originally set in the team's lease of the city-owned McKalla Place site to build the stadium. Monday's agreement brings them one step closer to reality.

CapMetro's board approved the contract after Austin City Council Member Leslie Pool requested that language be added to the resolution indicating that Austin FC's payments to CapMetro specifically help defray the costs of construction of the rail station at the stadium, which is in Pool's council district. The contract itself places no restrictions on how a future board spends the money.

"Saying the money should go to benefit specifically the station that Stadco is benefiting from and that the agreement with the City Council was that it would go to that station and its construction really is aligning it with the intentions at the time," Pool said.

Q2 Stadium has yet to hold an event but is set to host to the U.S. women's national team June 16. Austin Public Health announced Monday that the stadium will be able to host that opener as well as Austin FC's June 19 home opener at 100% capacity.

CapMetro is also planning to increase service to the area surrounding Q2 Stadium on game days. MetroRapid route 803 as well as MetroBus routes 3, 383 and 392 will run with greater frequency on game days.

The MetroRail Red Line also will have special service on Austin FC game days, including the June 16 game between the U.S. women's national team and Nigeria, with trains running to the area until two hours after games. The closest station is off Kramer Lane near Braker Lane — roughly a 15-minute walk to the stadium.

Saturday bus service on game days will begin at 10 a.m. and operate until after midnight.

Guest Lobo

The parking garages are one thing...they're static...they don't really cost anything to "open up" on a Saturday morning except a guy in a vest.  A fleet of busses costs more money.  I'm looking forward to tailgating or hanging out at a nearby bar before matches, I just don't see thousands of people using public transportation 11 hours before a match.  I think those serious folks will drive/rideshare so they can bring more gear.  I guess it's just a difference of tailgating.  I see people that just show up with a 6-pack and a backpack for a whole day of festivities, I just can't roll like that.  I need a full bar, diaper bag, and a weber grill.  To each his own, the money this city blows on CapMetro, what's another $10k/matchday on extra busses?  

I'll reveal my parking cheat code though...it's a solid 10-minute walk.  The Indeed tower overlooking Q2.  Good parking if you can get it.  

I really wouldnt plan on tailgating around Q2. I mean you can, but i don't think you'd have the experience you would at, say, a football game. Like MLB, football is a pub culture. Get there 11 hours early to get shit faced at a brewery and practice your diss tracks to the quakes or whatever their dumb name is.

25 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Ok, so those of you with jersey's what do you think? Authentic or Replica?

I'm very happy with my authentic jersey. Haven't seen a replica in person to be able to compare. I'm somewhere between a L and XL with most shirts and the L fits me great.

2 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

Ok, so those of you with jersey's what do you think? Authentic or Replica?

I have an authentic and my wife and kids have the replica.  They are both very nice but the authentic is a bit lighter and more breathable because it is a different fabric than the replica.  Other than that, there's not much difference.  The cut seems to be same. I tried on both and they fit identical. 

Well, my 4 tickets sold in an hour for $599 a seat.  Should've put them up for $999 a seat and waited a bit for someone to bite.

I still can’t figure it out. SeatGeek doesn’t give me a sell option. Trying to sell mine for the second game since I’ll be out of town.