Austin FC

Bottlecap

Here is an ABJ story detailing the amendments. Personally, I dont know if the CapMetro costs are doable, but if they are, it seems to me that it is the best way to get this done by getting garza on board.

Austin City Council on Aug. 9 postponed a vote on a Major League Soccer stadium deal, delayed in part by a rush of amendments proposed by Council members that want to extract guarantees from the soccer club's operator.

Council now plans to vote Aug. 15 on an agreement for an MLS stadium at McKalla Place, a 24-acre city-owned site south of The Domain.

Precourt Sports Ventures, which wants to relocate the Columbus Crew SC from Ohio to the Texas capital, has been negotiating with city staff since late June on initial terms of a stadium agreement.

But Council members this week suggested more than two dozen amendments to the deal. Many of the amendments seek to limit city costs or ask for more commitments from PSV.

Mayor Steve Adler said Aug. 9 he wanted to put the deal up to a vote that night, blasting some of the amendments from his colleagues as "clearly poison pills" designed to scuttle the agreement.

"They're amendments that, when you look at them, you know that they make the deal die," Adler said. "If we're going to vote it down, we should just vote it down."

PSV representative Richard Suttle, an Armbrust & Brown PLLC attorney, said the agreement with the city is becoming too biased in one direction and that further city demands could lead to its collapse.

"There are many poison pills in what I've seen," Suttle told Council. "Because Precourt has negotiated the best deal in the country for a sports stadium."

"Our city will not get an MLS team if this thing gets any more unbalanced than it already is financially," he added. "I hope we don't let a vote on that (term sheet) die because it's not perfect."

'Disrespectful to the process'

Council members Leslie Pool, Alison Alter, Ora Houston and Ellen Troxclairhave expressed skepticism of the deal since June and welcomed other development proposals at McKalla Place.

Pool, whose North Austin district includes the stadium site, said characterizing amendments as poison pills was "disrespectful to the process."

"All of [the amendments] that are being offered are trying to answer concerns that have been raised throughout the public," Pool said.

Pool offered these amendments to the term sheet:

• Community benefits in the development agreement carrying over during the lease's extensions
  • Limiting PSV-related event programming on publicly accessible areas like green space and parkland to 35 days per year
  • The city getting a say in designing and planning those open spaces
  • Not allowing club, stadium or MLS logos or decals placed on public structures like sidewalks, light poles, signs and manhole covers
  • Requiring StadiumCo, an entity PSV would form to run the facility, to pay for a Capital Metropolitan Transportation Authority MetroRail station if other funding sources haven't been secured by the lease's first year
  • Annual StadiumCo payments to Travis County, Austin Independent School District, Austin Community College District and Central Month starting at $958,720.

Alter wants the term sheet changed to include these provisions:

• Capping city remediation costs of McKalla Place at $500,000
  • City approval of a transportation, parking and events plan
  • Requiring StadiumCo to spend 30 percent of parking revenues on transportation plan improvements and infrastructure identified by a traffic impact analysis.

And Troxclair, who is wrapping up her term as the Council's most conservative member, called for:

• Stadium rent payments starting in year 1 at $958,720
  • The city's ability to impose a ticket surcharge of up to $3 per ticket
  • More structured parking to bring the number of on-site spaces to 4,000, up from 1,000 in the current term sheet
  • Capping city event services costs at $200,000 annually.

Go here to see the stadium term sheet as it exists currently, with rent starting at $550,000 after five years.

Transit, housing pledges pushed

Even Council members who have been more receptive to partnering with PSV still want changes to the deal.

Mayor Pro Tem Kathie Tovo submitted 11 amendments, including one that would expand city control and approval of ancillary developments and when public access to the site is limited. She also wants PSV and StadiumCo to pursue trail connections and outdoor screening events for club games.

And she pushed for more specific commitments to environment standards such as LEED certification, the use of local vendors, expanded public access to the site and youth soccer programming benefiting both boys and girls.

Council Member Delia Garza is concerned about investment in public transit to and around the stadium site.

So Garza wants PSV to construct up to $640,000 in bus and transit facilities prior to the stadium opening. PSV would also contribute $3 million over 15 years for other Capital Metro transit-related facilities under Garza's amendment.

A wide-ranging amendment from Council Member Greg Casar called for stronger language on labor standards and how 130 units of affordable housing would be developed on-site.

It also called on more coordination with the club on event parking and affordable programs, as well as an expanded system of discounted tickets for the public.

I'm guessing if PSV does anything with the rail station angle, it will be in the form of sharing the cost of it or doing some kind of partnership with the city to get it done. Seems unreasonable to me to ask PSV to pay for the whole thing.

Hotel at COTA? LOL. OK. I can't imagine how they intend to keep the occupancy high enough to stay in the black, but whatever...

Looks like they'll ruin another of the best viewing spots in the process.

This Car-Centric Real Estate Development Overlooks a Formula 1 Track in Austin https://robbreport.com/shelter/new-construction/forza-race-track-development-in-austin-2811311/#utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=social_bar&utm_content=top&utm_id=2811311

& they apparently also wanna do a 'residential' site in the infield along the back straight. Surely the city needs to demand rail, affordable housing, use of the track by amateurs, etc, etc, ad nauseum, before approving this kind of thing, right? Right?

This Car-Centric Real Estate Development Overlooks a Formula 1 Track in Austin https://robbreport.com/shelter/new-construction/forza-race-track-development-in-austin-2811311/#utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=social_bar&utm_content=top&utm_id=2811311

44 minutes ago, wood said:

Hotel at COTA? LOL. OK. I can't imagine how they intend to keep the occupancy high enough to stay in the black, but whatever...

Looks like they'll ruin another of the best viewing spots in the process.

& they apparently also wanna do a 'residential' site in the infield along the back straight. Surely the city needs to demand rail, affordable housing, use of the track by amateurs, etc, etc, ad nauseum, before approving this kind of thing, right? Right?

And to make sure that there are an equivalent number of male and female racers at each event.

To your question about amendments, there shouldn’t be any more, but I’m not certain about anything.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, skittlebrau said:

And to make sure that there are an equivalent number of male and female racers at each event.

To your question about amendments, there shouldn’t be any more, but I’m not certain about anything.

Thanks. Do we need to show up to the chambers Wednesday to register our opinion, or will that even be a thing since they aren't taking public comment?

Just got this email...

https://mailchi.mp/061c5ad6405a/wednesday-morning-more-than-everjust-like-last-timewe-need-you-at-city-hall?e=a736d020a4

"MLS2ATX Community,

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgallery.mailchimp.com%2F19542cb910a1493f66af8cebe%2Fimages%2F127da2f1-8b6e-4420-a8d1-b3a9b9ad3d54.png&t=1534274308&ymreqid=d43e92dd-5036-1e9c-01f7-0d03db010000&sig=DuyfClCIOv6nuTF_wT8t0A--~CThursday night was filled with impassioned community commentary and discussion from the dais.

The process at City Hall can be painstakingly slow, but we all appreciate Council and staff’s need to ask questions and take time
on this very important decision.

So, here’s the deal. We need your support to be known tomorrow (Wednesday) from 9 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Is this the last one? We think so. We hope so! But the one thing we do know is that it matters that City Council sees your support.

• If you can make it, show up at Austin City Hall by 8:45 a.m. and sign up in support (commentary not permitted due to time constraints).
  • If you can or cannot make it, send a supportive note to your Council member thanking him or her for the hard work on this issue.
  • As always, tag City Council members in respectful social media posts at #ATXcouncil.

We hope to see you there and are anticipating a group hug around 11:30 a.m. to noon!

With heartfelt gratitude,
MLS2ATX Team"

The day before the Austin City Council was to vote on a stadium deal, one of its members was on the way back from visiting with soccer supporters in Columbus, Ohio.

Council Member Leslie Pool spent much of Monday as well as Tuesday morning in the Ohio capital, the Columbus Dispatch first reported. Pool’s staff confirmed that she was traveling back to Austin on Tuesday afternoon and was not immediately available for comment.

While in Columbus, Pool visited with members of the fan-led Save the Crew movement at their weekly meeting, and swung by the current home of Columbus Crew SC, Mapfre Stadium, as well as a parcel of land in the Arena District many fans envision as the site for a new stadium.

If approved Wednesday, an agreement for Precourt Sports Ventures to build a Major League Soccer stadium in North Austin could allow the Anthony Precourt-led group to relocate Columbus Crew SC.

“I wanted to think about that and see what the actual impacts are on the families who have built their lives around soccer in (Columbus),” Pool told the Dispatch.

According to MLS in Austin member Derek Ensign, the visit with Columbus soccer supporters was more extensive than Pool’s interactions with the Austin supporters group founded in 2013 by Josh Babetski.

“I’m disappointed and confused that an Austin elected official would seemingly care more about the perspective of soccer fans in Columbus compared to the city she’s elected to represent,” said Ensign, who accused Pool during the City Council meeting last Thursday of “stall tactics.”

“I’m confused looking at some of her comments in the last week about wanting to remove the emotions from this argument and look more at the numbers, then she’s quoted in this Dispatch article talking about the emotional impact in Columbus.”

https://www.statesman.com/sports/soccer/austin-council-member-leslie-pool-visits-soccer-fans-columbus/AcspE2pmZ0eICfB9coQ26M/

Leslie Pool seems like she sucks.

Seriously, if any of you live in her district, you should mobilize against her whenever she's up for reelection.  She clearly isn't interested in executing her responsibility to the constituents she's actually supposed to be representing,

#movethecrew

3 hours ago, Updawg said:

The day before the Austin City Council was to vote on a stadium deal, one of its members was on the way back from visiting with soccer supporters in Columbus, Ohio.

Council Member Leslie Pool spent much of Monday as well as Tuesday morning in the Ohio capital, the Columbus Dispatch first reported. Pool’s staff confirmed that she was traveling back to Austin on Tuesday afternoon and was not immediately available for comment.

While in Columbus, Pool visited with members of the fan-led Save the Crew movement at their weekly meeting, and swung by the current home of Columbus Crew SC, Mapfre Stadium, as well as a parcel of land in the Arena District many fans envision as the site for a new stadium.

If approved Wednesday, an agreement for Precourt Sports Ventures to build a Major League Soccer stadium in North Austin could allow the Anthony Precourt-led group to relocate Columbus Crew SC.

“I wanted to think about that and see what the actual impacts are on the families who have built their lives around soccer in (Columbus),” Pool told the Dispatch.

According to MLS in Austin member Derek Ensign, the visit with Columbus soccer supporters was more extensive than Pool’s interactions with the Austin supporters group founded in 2013 by Josh Babetski.

“I’m disappointed and confused that an Austin elected official would seemingly care more about the perspective of soccer fans in Columbus compared to the city she’s elected to represent,” said Ensign, who accused Pool during the City Council meeting last Thursday of “stall tactics.”

“I’m confused looking at some of her comments in the last week about wanting to remove the emotions from this argument and look more at the numbers, then she’s quoted in this Dispatch article talking about the emotional impact in Columbus.”

https://www.statesman.com/sports/soccer/austin-council-member-leslie-pool-visits-soccer-fans-columbus/AcspE2pmZ0eICfB9coQ26M/

Seriously--what in the ever-loving fuck?

Just saw Pool on CBS Austin -- holy smokes, that wasn't a fact-finding trip, it was a concerted effort to bolster her already ridiculous perspective.

I'm pretty sure Columbus will survive, especially once their pro football team gets past Urban Meyer's persecution.

I love libraries, parks, golf courses, affordable housing, and museums.  Funny thing is, I don't recall any of those being nearly so scrutinized as this deal which is practically a financial gift from God.  Combine that with the fucking developers who didn't even know that piece of shit property existed until a few months ago (I work a few hundred yards away) and, well, fuck them.  I'm pretty sure we don't need another mixed-use condo development with a Juiceland and yoga bar any more than we need a professional soccer franchise.

I really hate Austin sometimes.  

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Just saw Pool on CBS Austin -- holy smokes, that wasn't a fact-finding trip, it was a concerted effort to bolster her already ridiculous perspective.

I'm pretty sure Columbus will survive, especially once their pro football team gets past Urban Meyer's persecution.

I love libraries, parks, golf courses, affordable housing, and museums.  Funny thing is, I don't recall any of those being nearly so scrutinized as this deal which is practically a financial gift from God.  Combine that with the fucking developers who didn't even know that piece of shit property existed until a few months ago (I work a few hundred yards away) and, well, fuck them.  I'm pretty sure we don't need another mixed-use condo development with a Juiceland and yoga bar any more than we need a professional soccer franchise.

I really hate Austin sometimes.  

...and there's really just one guy behind all that shit.

“I’m disappointed and confused that an Austin elected official would seemingly care more about the perspective of soccer fans in Columbus compared to the city she’s elected to represent,” said Ensign, who accused Pool during the City Council meeting last Thursday of “stall tactics

19 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

Is that not normal? Serious question. I'd assume the wording would be changed as negotiations and discussions progress so they'd document those changes in writing.

IDK if it's normal or not, but it looks like shit, and these are the same fuckers who threw a bunch of amendments out there at 10pm during the last meeting to stall and stall and stall...

I really do just think it's Pool, Ora, Alter, and Trx who are truly against at this point, but this shit from them is utterly embarrassing and infuriating. Our council is like a long-running soap opera where the characters go on and on forever and you just plug in new actors to play the parts into eternity. 

Man, if I was PSV I'd probably just agree to all of the non-monetary amendments and then just not comply with the ones I didn't like later on. Enforcement of a lot of that crap ain't going to be easy, and what's the City going to do, shut the stadium down once it's built and operational? Contracts are made to be broken, right? That's what I learned in law school.

25 minutes ago, MidTexHorn said:

Man, if I was PSV I'd probably just agree to all of the non-monetary amendments and then just not comply with the ones I didn't like later on. Enforcement of a lot of that crap ain't going to be easy, and what's the City going to do, shut the stadium down once it's built and operational? Contracts are made to be broken, right? That's what I learned in law school.

Why not? They wouldn't be the first big pro sports venue in town to do just that.

• Like 1