Austin FC

Bottlecap

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Ooh that's close. 

I'm not sure what you mean. Maybe it's a difference in rules for MLS - handball in the box is a straight red or at least should be. The first was absolutely a yellow. 

I thought the first be was just defender making himself big twice in a row.  Call it sympathy from a old shitty defender.

The second one just seemed like “fuck it, I’m tired.”

Well, let’s see how we break down a parked bus.

Just now, Kringelbert Fishtybuns said:

I thought the first be was just defender making himself big twice in a row.  Call it sympathy from a old shitty defender.

The second one just seemed like “fuck it, I’m tired.”

Well, let’s see how we break down a parked bus.

I'm unclear on how it operates in the box. If it's a ball on target and it's a handball I think it has to be a card (like it was on both calls). To get a straight red there may need to be intent involved. 

Just now, Brisketexan said:

Finally for anyone is dumb. I have no idea why he gets so much PT. Whenever he’s on the pitch, he’s the worst attacker we have out there.

Wolff needs to be green-lit to try more down the right side. His quality is extremely apparent and we need to take advantage of it while he's still here. There were multiple times where a defender was cheating to the inside of the pitch against him with zero help behind him. If he can win that towards the sideline it will create dangerous chances in the box. 

Almost wonder if his own dad is holding him back at this point. 

Wolff needs to be green-lit to try more down the right side. His quality is extremely apparent and we need to take advantage of it while he's still here. There were multiple times where a defender was cheating to the inside of the pitch against him with zero help behind him. If he can win that towards the sideline it will create dangerous chances in the box. 
Almost wonder if his own dad is holding him back at this point. 

I also wonder if there’s some obscure rule against Kolmanic and Gallagher being on the pitch at the same time. WTF? Gallagher up the left side on the attack is pure speed. I feel like he’s wasted at FB.

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

I also wonder if there’s some obscure rule against Kolmanic and Gallagher being on the pitch at the same time. WTF? Gallagher up the left side on the attack is pure speed. I feel like he’s wasted at FB.

It's not like any of our backs play defense anyway. Well Lima is okay but he fucking blows up the pitch. 

14 hours ago, ztejas said:

Also - our color guy is fucking awesome. Pbp dude... eh. 

Although is this the regular color guy or an alternate? He's done the last two games. 

Michael Lahood is the regular guy.  He got married, went on his honeymoon, and caught Covid.  Not sure when he'll be back.

Sonny Guadaramma is the Engligh language fill in.  He's usually on the Spanish broadcast.  I much prefer Sonny over Lahood.

• Hook 'Em 2

What a shit show that game was.  First half was awful from what I saw in the stands - especially from Stuver, Lima, and Fagundez.  I usually do not feel that way with Stuver or Fagu.  I give keepers plenty of deference, though.  Every player makes stupid mistakes, it usually doesn't result in a goal for the field players - keeper's mistakes show up on the scoreboard.  Fagu was not on - he got beat to way too many passes which resulted in turnovers.  I'm not a fan of Lima and he looked worse than normal last night.

Wolfe played extremely well.  He is definitely earning that starting spot, IMHO.

I can't believe it took 30 minutes, with Orlando playing down one player and then two players, for Austin to get the equalizer.  I know there was a plan, which clearly involved passing the ball around a perimeter arch for minutes on end.  But, ffs, don't spend the entire 4 minutes after the tying goal passing the ball around.  Pass, pass, shoot.  Pass, pass, feed. . . . . not pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass,  . . .

Glad they salvaged the point, though.

The strategy looked good to me once they brought in Zan and Djitte. Orlando packed the box, so we played the odds that we would get some crosses on target and get a couple of goals. Our crosses and long balls were absolutely trash for most of the game until Kolmanic came in. Djitte is such a force in front of the net, I'm glad he was able to shine finally. He was hilarious trying to work that Orlando defender's cramp out. 

Pereira was dispossessed a half dozen times at least and in some bad spots, not sure what he was doing last night. 

Any word on Gabrielson's injury?  The defense went in the shitter from the time he went out until they stopped attacking.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Chips O'Toole said:

Any word on Gabrielson's injury?  The defense went in the shitter from the time he went out until they stopped attacking.

I always concerned when a player goes down and calls for an immediate sub.  Then he walked straight to the locker room.  I've seen and heard ACL tears and it can look a lot like that.

He was awesome on the defense, truly a beast.  But damn his plays on offense were terrible.  He just needs to kick the ball out to Zan or Gally to play the ball forward. 

As crappy as last night was, you love to see where we sit in the table.  If we can pull 4 points out of next two games we should be right there in two weeks as well.  Getting through that stretch through Dallas and still being in second place is the real deal.  

Still not sure why Lima plays.  I haven't seen a single person defend it.  And it's doubly worse with him and Jimenez in at same time.   Also feel like Kolmanic needs to be a 90 minute player.  I've seen him make one mistake all year, and he recovered nicely when it happened.  We are super thin at defender, particularly on the outside, and need to pick a couple of people up this window and/or figure out if Kolmanic or Gallagher can play the other side so they can both be on the field.  

I read somewhere that Orlando have gone down to 9 men 7 times since their inaugural season.  No other team has had that happen more than 4 times.  Fuck those guys.  

Edited by A-Tex Devil

16 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Gallagher's role isn't FB, its a wingback. Basically, Wolff is too chickenshit (but also smart) not to play a 3-man backline because we suck ass with Cascante and Lima in the back, and can't just rely on Gabrielsen to blow everything up, so we put a true winger at back with speed to hold up play, but also have license to attack going forward. We like to throw numbers at the defense, then press when we lose control. I'm not really a fan of Gallagher, because I want Zan, a much, much better wingback and natural FB to be in that role instead. His crosses are far better than Gallagher, plus he can take freekicks from our middle third and put em on a toe, he also take right sided corners. Unless Zan is resting from multiple matches he should never sit in favor of Gallagher. Also, when ring was stepping in for a suspended Pereira (LAFC), he played the destroying center mid role much better than his current role as an attacking 8, so there's all sorts of lineup shit that Wolff does that I hate, even though the proof of effectiveness is right there in his face. Whatever. A point is better than no point, but Wolff was totally outclassed this match. Oh also, start and finish with Owen Wolff please. The dude is 17 and doesn't need rest FFS.

• Hook 'Em 2

58 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

I always concerned when a player goes down and calls for an immediate sub.  Then he walked straight to the locker room.  I've seen and heard ACL tears and it can look a lot like that.

He was awesome on the defense, truly a beast.  But damn his plays on offense were terrible.  He just needs to kick the ball out to Zan or Gally to play the ball forward. 

he had the shits. stomach bug. kipp had been on-call during warm ups. i like kipp a lot. he'll end up being our walker zimmerman.

11 minutes ago, Bottlecap said:

Gallagher's role isn't FB, its a wingback. Basically, Wolff is too chickenshit (but also smart) not to play a 3-man backline because we suck ass with Cascante and Lima in the back, and can't just rely on Gabrielsen to blow everything up, so we put a true winger at back with speed to hold up play, but also have license to attack going forward. We like to throw numbers at the defense, then press when we lose control. I'm not really a fan of Gallagher, because I want Zan, a much, much better wingback and natural FB to be in that role instead. His crosses are far better than Gallagher, plus he can take freekicks from our middle third and put em on a toe, he also take right sided corners. Unless Zan is resting from multiple matches he should never sit in favor of Gallagher. Also, when ring was stepping in for a suspended Pereira (LAFC), he played the destroying center mid role much better than his current role as an attacking 8, so there's all sorts of lineup shit that Wolff does that I hate, even though the proof of effectiveness is right there in his face. Whatever. A point is better than no point, but Wolff was totally outclassed this match. Oh also, start and finish with Owen Wolff please. The dude is 17 and doesn't need rest FFS.

Good post.  I like Zan back where he is.  I just wish we would play Gallagher up.  Last season, he provided a real spark (one of our few brightsides) up the left on attack.  His crosses could definitely be stronger, but his speed is such an advantage.  And yeah, Zan's crosses are exceptional - his left foot is solid.