Austin FC

Bottlecap

8 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

I'm glad to hear about Jimenez. He's solid off the bench, and without him, Austin would have to search for some additional depth. I'd much rather they look for another strong center back.

He’s also making half as much as last year and not taking up a senior roster spot with this deal. Good business.

7 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

31 is old AF in soccer years.

The counterpoint is that he’s 9 months younger than Maxi and scored the same amount of goals in fewer games. And he’s returning to a system he thrived in. I like it if the money’s right, but hopefully they’re going to invest some of these savings elsewhere. Like a frontline CB to replace Julio.

On 12/12/2022 at 4:23 PM, ztejas said:

Just get as much as we can for him. 

Wonder if they don't loan him back for the 2023 year if they get him. As much as I hate on Zardes for the USMNT, I really like this get for Austin.

If they don't sell Seb this offseason then it's gonna be one hell of a year in Austin.

Edited by SimonBolivar
  • Hook 'Em 2

41 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Tickets for the Champions League are out. How often do you get to see a Haitian team play (Well I watched  the Haitian national team play Panama in a Gold Cup double header before US vs Costa Rica in Frisco 8 or so years ago but still)?

Don't bother wearing a condom while she does it.  /badideakits 

I'm lost still, what the fuck was this FC II announcement yesterday all about?  

And when is the 2023 schedule coming out?  

13 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Don't bother wearing a condom while she does it.  /badideakits 

I'm lost still, what the fuck was this FC II announcement yesterday all about?  

And when is the 2023 schedule coming out?  

Second team that'll start this year which will have all their games on AppleTV too which will be really fun to keep up with.

Supposedly we'll know the full schedule tomorrow according to a post on reddit. We know they never lie so it has to be true.

Do all MLS franchises do that?  I would think they wouldn't want their second teamers to get injured since between subs and injuries and contract shit, they still get a lot of playing time in for-points matches?  I've been following the international game (but not pros) for 20 years but admittedly, I only gave a shit about the MLS platform/setup after we got our franchise in Austin.  

Thanks for the heads up on schedule.  I figured it'd be sometime before/after WC completion.  My season ticket holder neighbor is gonna do a sort of draft where we can pick 'n choose matches to attend with him based on dates.  

45 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Do all MLS franchises do that?  I would think they wouldn't want their second teamers to get injured since between subs and injuries and contract shit, they still get a lot of playing time in for-points matches?  I've been following the international game (but not pros) for 20 years but admittedly, I only gave a shit about the MLS platform/setup after we got our franchise in Austin.  

Thanks for the heads up on schedule.  I figured it'd be sometime before/after WC completion.  My season ticket holder neighbor is gonna do a sort of draft where we can pick 'n choose matches to attend with him based on dates.  

They mostly have had USL teams acting as affiliates but now they're all adding teams to this new MLS Next Pro League. It's a great way to guys that are between the academy level and first team level some run and growth. Just like AAA baseball really. 

Edited by SimonBolivar
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Think of it like a Premier League reserve team. It’s a chance for people like Redes, Keller, etc to get some minutes.

https://www.mlsnextpro.com/clubs/

2 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

CJ Fodrey was predicted to go first overall on some lists. Nice little Austin FC II pickup there.

Came here to post this. I know the MLS draft probably doesn’t have the best coverage, but he was at the top of all the “Who might go #1 overall?” lists that I saw.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Can’t wrap my mind around an MLS draft. Why does this exist?

It's for guys that play/played in college. Of which there are still quite a few in MLS. 

I'd imagine it's becoming less relevant. But I'd also guess that the level of play in college has gotten better - albeit at a slower pace than the fairly exponential increase in quality the league has seen the past ~5 years. 

Most of the guys selected just fill out rosters, although there's usually a few legitimate prospects towards the top. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Is there a rule stopping a team from signing a college player before they graduate?

This is a good question. I would assume MLS teams are barred from signing college players before they're drafted. I'm not sure if teams in other leagues are. 

How does it work in baseball? Could the Japanese league sign a college freshman? 

This is a good question. I would assume MLS teams are barred from signing college players before they're drafted. I'm not sure if teams in other leagues are. 
How does it work in baseball? Could the Japanese league sign a college freshman? 

Since Wolfe Jr is a high schooler, there can’t be a restriction on signings. At least I hope there’s not because that would be a huge handicap against other leagues signing talent.

11 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Since Wolfe Jr is a high schooler, there can’t be a restriction on signings. At least I hope there’s not because that would be a huge handicap against other leagues signing talent.

There isn't. And there's plenty of teenagers on MLS rosters. 

On 12/22/2022 at 8:23 AM, CooterBrown said:

Is there a rule stopping a team from signing a college player before they graduate?

No. SuperDraft is for college seniors and Generation Adidas players. Nothing stopping someone from leaving college early if good enough. But I think the guys worth it usually end up with GA deals. Austin now has three such players (Pereira, Keller, Fodrey) and none of them count against the salary budget.

• Hook 'Em 1

Dad has never been to a soccer game in his life so my brother and I got him tickets to the Champions League match with us for Christmas. We picked that one because he's fascinated with Haiti and now he's really excited to see the team. We'll see what an old Texan thinks about Q2.

Edited by SimonBolivar
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, SimonBolivar said:

Dad has never been to a soccer game in his life so my brother and I got him tickets to the Champions League match with us for Christmas. We picked that one because he's fascinated with Haiti and now he's really excited to see the team. We'll see what an old Texan thinks about Q2.

Telling him it's the Champions League was a good move. He won't know whether he's going to see the most popular sport in the world played at its absolute highest level or a team from a decent league playing some guys that can barely afford kits. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Making a placeholder post about the Claudio Reyna story, and questions about how it may affect his role at Austin FC.

Also....the fucking nepotism of American soccer is a problem.  Reyna and son, Berhalter and son, Wolff and son....and all three families are intertwined with Austin FC.  Not a good look.

Two things:

Nepotism - the kids are good, because their parents played, they won the genetic lottery and they learned the game from an early age. There is zero problem with this in terms of players. 
If we want to talk about people getting jobs because of family then that's an issue.

Jersey - As I watch Palace-Spurs - what about a variant of Palace's jersey but in green/black?