Austin FC

Bottlecap

10 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

Said he made the choice as a parent of a special needs kid. Ton of respect for him as he finishes his career at home.

Ton of respect to the club too for getting this done.  Gabrielsen is one of my favorites and he will be missed on and off the field.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Horny Bull said:

Curious what this means for Gallagher and Kolmanic.  I really like having Gallagher on the field - he's the fastest guy we've got, and he gives hellacious effort, but he's at the LB position, same as Lundkvist usually plays.  Hell, I've been a proponent of finding a way to get Gallagher and Kolmanic on the pitch at the same time, this certainly complicates that (maybe in a good way).  At the very least, I'd hope to see Gallagher find another starting place.  Maybe on that left wing again, and shift others over?

lundkvist is a LB, Gallagher is a LWB. I think they'll both have a role dependent on the match. Kolmanic's form has diminished but at one point he was our most dangerous setpiece guy from like 25-35 yards.  He's also a plus defender. He should move clubs and I'll be surprised if ATXFC doesn't try to sell him. He's great value and young. I think the only player who plays for his national team if you don't count wolff w the u-19s

Edited by Bottlecap
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 1/10/2023 at 2:02 PM, Bottlecap said:

lundkvist is a LB, Gallagher is a LWB. I think they'll both have a role dependent on the match. Kolmanic's form has diminished but at one point he was our most dangerous setpiece guy from like 25-35 yards.  He's also a plus defender. He should move clubs and I'll be surprised if ATXFC doesn't try to sell him. He's great value and young. I think the only player who plays for his national team if you don't count wolff w the u-19s

1 hour ago, skittlebrau said:

Gallagher can also play on the right. Can see him him starting on either side depending on rotation. Especially given the insane number of matches we're going to play in this year.

Appreciate the insight.  I'm a big Gallagher fan, clearly.  And yeah, Kolmanic's left foot is an absolute thing of beauty, and on corners and set pieces, it's a chance-creator.  But I agree that his overall play seems to have declined a bit -- perhaps due to him not getting many minutes anymore.  I'd hate to see him go, but I think you're right, he's a player with some real upside potential, so we might get something worthwhile for him.  I am fine with us having a conversation about "so, we have three talented guys who have been playing LB/LWB, what do we do with all of them?"  Good problems to have.

• Hook 'Em 2

The other thing  is that we have so many more games. We are going to need depth and there are plenty of starts to go around.

2022 - 34 regular season + 3 playoff + 1 US Open Cup

2023 - 34 regular season + ? US open cup + at least 2 (probably more) CCL + at least 3 (possibly more) Leagues Cup + ? playoffs 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, YGIFS said:

any details on the US Open Cup, CLL, and League Cup matches?  All I have down are the two Concacaf matches with Haiti.  And I don't any more condoms after that.

CCL - First round away and home starting in early March. The away match is actually in the DR. Also a possibility that the Haitian club (which hasn’t played since May of last year) forfeits because they can’t get US visas because their government is basically nonfunctional and we get a bye into the quarters. 

Quarterfinals: April 4-6 (first leg) and April 11-13 (second leg). Solid chance this is against a Mexican club.

US Open Cup - Austin FC enters the knockout competition in the third round on April 25-26.

Leagues Cup - Austin FC hosts group stages matches beginning the week of July 21. Tournament ends in mid-August.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/13/2023 at 3:20 PM, YGIFS said:

any details on the US Open Cup, CLL, and League Cup matches?  All I have down are the two Concacaf matches with Haiti.  And I don't any more condoms after that.

Don't know if you listen to Moontower Soccer, but this question was the source of a whole segment on the show this week.

https://www.moontowersoccer.com/adam-lundqvist-trade-atx-deep-enough-to-compete-rodney-stays-and-more/

• Hook 'Em 1

Leagues Cup is a new, first-of-its-kind tournament featuring all 29 MLS and 18 Liga MX clubs. Both leagues will pause their respective seasons for the month-long event beginning on Friday, July 21 with the final taking place on Saturday, August 19.

any advanced intel on the 2 exhibition matches at Saint David's facility?  Figure that'd be a good way to get the littles used to a big soccer match (they've also done UT Women's Soccer at Myers) before we do a full on Q2 match later this Autumn when they could probably hang for a 7:30p match?  Thanks!

26 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

any advanced intel on the 2 exhibition matches at Saint David's facility?  Figure that'd be a good way to get the littles used to a big soccer match (they've also done UT Women's Soccer at Myers) before we do a full on Q2 match later this Autumn when they could probably hang for a 7:30p match?  Thanks!

They already played Philly I think. 

Just now, YGIFS said:

Yeah, i was thinking Louisville anyway being a weekend.  Figured it'd be easy in/out.  And if they lose their shit and wanna leave early, it's preseason so no harm.

I think the preseason games are usually closed to the public.  So you'd want to verify that first.  @skittlebrau will know.

Ah shit, that would explain it. thanks.   Was curious why there was no more info.  makes sense with Nate the Great sneaking around trying to get advanced intel on the FC.  

Ah well, we;ll try for a 7:30p weekend match with the older one at least.  Do spring soccer at UT during daytime with the little one.  

2 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

I think the preseason games are usually closed to the public.  So you'd want to verify that first.  @skittlebrau will know.

Yeah they are all closed door. There will be some people on the hill across the street watching from a distance but it’s not a great experience for a little one.

Edited by skittlebrau
  • Like 1

thanks for the tips, all.  Yeah, mine are okay with limited screentime actually.  Knock on wood.  And they're usually up for adventures.  They just suck at sleep.  always have.  Only good part is once they're asleep, they usually conk out and don't wander down to our bed for slumber time.  But tough part about a match is leaving at 9:30p and getting home at 10;00p, they're a fucking waste the next day and cranky as shit.  They'll love the match (we've done night games for football and baseball), but just another thing to deal with the next day.  But I guess over the summer, fuck it...they can suffer alone outta school.  Alright, I've talked myself into it.  minnesota or one of the june matches before it gets insane hot would be best.

But yeah, year one we were still worried about Covid.  Year two, they were just too young to make a night match...shoulda looked at a daytime before they synched up all the matches this season across timezones.  But this year, we gotta get in the mix.  I at least got a good parking permit and can spend on them concession money I won't be throwing down on beer.  

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

If you don't love Gyasi Zardes after this interview, you're a horrible, soulless person. Plus, Healey spills some of the beans on how the Apple broadcasts are going to work.

https://www.moontowersoccer.com/interviews-w-gyasi-zardes-and-adrian-healey-driussi-extending-contract-austin-fc-jersey-release-burton-w-u17s-and-more/

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, skittlebrau said:

If you don't love Gyasi Zardes after this interview, you're a horrible, soulless person. Plus, Healey spills some of the beans on how the Apple broadcasts are going to work.

https://www.moontowersoccer.com/interviews-w-gyasi-zardes-and-adrian-healey-driussi-extending-contract-austin-fc-jersey-release-burton-w-u17s-and-more/

Great episode.  You need to get an interview with Sonny Guadarrama next.