Austin FC

Bottlecap

11 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

His crosses have been excellent.  I am extremely pleased with that acquisition.

10 hours ago, skittlebrau said:

Really good signing. And part of why I continue to believe that if this club can get healthy, they’re objectively better than last year.

Amazing what happens when you actually sign players at a position of need...

And the RIGHT players, no less!

• Like 1

I thought the triple sub killed some of our momentum and we weren’t as effective after that happened.  That said, totally understand why Wolff did it.   

He clearly has Zardes ahead of Urruti and maybe something has finally been unlocked.  Call me skeptical.  

Still - an awesome win and a deserved win.  Would have sucked to dominate like that and come out with only one point.  

I really like Djeffal and hope he can get more run while Wolff is out.  

Let’s beat Chicago!

1 hour ago, A-Tex Devil said:

I really like Djeffal and hope he can get more run while Wolff is out.

I was impressed with his play last night as well.  

It feels like Josh Wolff is getting the pieces in place to run the formation he wants.  I'm liking the three CB with the defensive wings pushed way up.  I'm looking forward to a game with Driussi and Fagu back and at full speed.

Cautiously optimistic.

• Hook 'Em 2

That…was fucky.

Maybe the worst match we’ve seen since the first season? Zero communication, shitty individual play across the board (save for Danny). Even guys like Gallagher had a shitty game.

And…I think I’ve reached my point of no return on Wolff’s system: I officially hate it, and I don’t want to give it any more chances to “click.” It sucks. It’s stupid. It will never be not stupid. Plenty of other franchises do very well with a system that doesn’t turn every single player into Backpass Bob, all the time and every time. We should try one of those.

Watched it with our foster kid who WAS part of the Academy (he’s now killing it in high school - played on a final 4 team as the only freshman). He ranted about that system being all they learned, and it killed his development for over a year. It would take Messi, and then him into Backpass Bob. He observed that it makes every player have their instinctive posture to have their back to the opponent’s goal - you’re always facing the wrong fucking direction. He said unequivocally that if the Academy invited him back at this point, he’d decline, because it’s a player development-killer.

Yep. I’m done with it. Wolff out.

• Hook 'Em 3

9 hours ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

Didn't Wolff just get a 3 year extension?

I don't know enough about soccer to comment on systems, aside from we've sucked at scoring this year.  Also I don't like that Wolff plays his son on the team...if you're going to play your son he better be God-like, and Wolff Jr ain't that.

It would be cool to see another coach come in and get the most out of his son though. I also don't know enough to feel comfortable commenting on soccer abilities, but I really enjoy watching Dani attack and dribble, and I feel like his next stop is going to allow him to be a creating midfielder rather than just..... facilitating the next pass back to the defenders. 

• Like 1

It would be cool to see another coach come in and get the most out of his son though. I also don't know enough to feel comfortable commenting on soccer abilities, but I really enjoy watching Dani attack and dribble, and I feel like his next stop is going to allow him to be a creating midfielder rather than just..... facilitating the next pass back to the defenders. 

Yeah…this system is tailor-made for causing an exodus of our young talent, who can actually develop and thrive somewhere else.
I hate it. I’m 100% opposed to it. I’m done with giving it any more chances.

9 hours ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

Didn't Wolff just get a 3 year extension?

I don't know enough about soccer to comment on systems, aside from we've sucked at scoring this year.  Also I don't like that Wolff plays his son on the team...if you're going to play your son he better be God-like, and Wolff Jr ain't that.

His kid is 18 and starting for the US U20 world cup team. 

Either way Owen will probably be gone after this season or next anyway. 

Edited by ztejas

a distinct change in tactics from a back four to a back three with heavily advanced wingbacks who whip it into the box without a true target man at the #9. We have fuckin mid ass zardes out of position on 99.99% of those balls and can't create space (even a half step) to save his life. We have rigoni who spent 80% of this season as an inverted winger on the right side of the pitch and couldn't beat anyone into the box 1v1 on his weaker foot and thus failing to create any chances in the 18, and we've gone away from working from the back and through the middle of the pitch with a very strong double pivot with Ring and Periera and up to driussi who created all sort of creative, diagonal chances that broke lines.

This is basically mack brown freaking out about not winning the NC vs Bama and changing all of his offensive philosophy to the power running game for no good reason and without having the proper personnel to do that on his roster. We don't have a suitable back three who can be left on islands like that. Injuries have definitely sucked, probably Zan being the worst for this type of system Wolff is trying to run, but also Driussi, Cascante, Fagu, and Wolff being on international duty. But also, we don't have any decent wingers who can be the least bit dangerous. Redes is fucking gash and Rigoni would get relegated to the second team bench by any other proper club. Also, back when Druissi WAS fit, he suddenly moved to a wider position than last year and limited his range to one side of the field when last year he absolutely dominated 2/3 of the pitch as a CAM. This year, Druissi is playing some sort of Iniesta-style holding midfielder who isn't being allowed to be creative. I don't know. The biggest change i guess is that wolff is an idiot and our new jersies are cursed.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Chips O'Toole said:

So Vais is out with a groin injury and Ring went out last night and was holding his groin... Is that 6 groin injuries this year?  Wtf is happening with our groinins?

Thinking the same thing.  Bob Stoops creepin around camp?

• Haha 1