Austin FC

Bottlecap

If next week goes bad there has to be a shakeup.   But shit we aren’t deep enough to do it.  

I don’t know what to do about the back line. The depth is abominable and something we all saw coming the moment Gabrielsen decided not to come back, if not sooner.  The new Finn is OK and Ring has performed admirably but he needs to be in Pereirra’s spot because Perreira is going to fuck up defending at least twice a half while also doing a couple of cool things each half.   I’d be willing to give slow old Romana run to let Ring shore up the defensive midfield. Have Ring play the Adams-like role and Teen Wolff the Musah-like role.  

Would like to sit Rigoni (duh) and run Bruin and Finlay out there - maybe even two strikers with Bruin and Urruti to change things up.  Fagundez has reverted to Revs Fagundez and I think he misses Gallagher on his side.  We need him to figure it out.  Would like to see Djeffal get some run as well.  I liked him in the Colorado game.  

Unless we are extremely lucky when June transfer window hits, there isn’t any room to maneuver to get talent because we have two wasted DP spots. 

Ugh.  

While the good guys aren't exactly playing the way I would want them to, I absolutely loved from the former player/coach point of view the goals Boanga  scored from a technical aspect.  It was as if he listened to every bit of coaching I have tried to pass on to front players.  First is hit the fucking ball the first chance you get.  Because about 90% of the time the extra setup touch means the opportunity is lost.  First the quick low shot was lovely, while heartbreaking. His second goal was a great example of how easy it is to score goals if you are smart and simply anticipate.  I screamed for years for players to attack the backside of the goal as that's where the easy goals are made.  I scored one with my dick in high school off the bounce.  How many times does a ball slide through and you can simple pass it back against the grain and make easy scores?  And how many of those past balls across the middle just roll out to the sideline wasting an opportunity? Boanga just anticipated what often happens and put himself in the right spot for an easy second goal.  His last hope eliminated crack was the low strike on the volley with his chest over the ball to keep it down. Exactly how it's supposed to be done, beautiful yet sickening as I finally changed the channel.

I was pissed that we played so poorly and got fucking schooled. But the coach/player part of me was screaming exactly on those goal!  Clearly to be a great striker you need to have the ball skills and ability to strike the ball.  But the little things like attacking the back side and striking at the first opportunity are simply playing smart.  And you can learn, practice and execute that at any level.

Now LAFC with Boanga on fire is for sure a tough opponent, but most of our extended possessions were simply games of keep away.  There has to be more overlapping runs and faster switching sides more frequently to create for opportunities for us. IMHO.  And for heaven's sake possessing along the back line or passing the ball back is all sell and good to create a seam and an opportunity.  But hell we were heading the wrong way more often than the right direction it seemed.  Sadly we did have some early opportunities, but we were clearly outclassed yesterday.  We need to press those possessions much more quickly forward than we did yesterday to get more opportunites, or even the hope of more opportunities.  I will say one thing, I can't blame Stuver on any of those fucking goals.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, horn4life said:

While the good guys aren't exactly playing the way I would want them to, I absolutely loved from the former player/coach point of view the goals Boanga  scored from a technical aspect.  It was as if he listened to every bit of coaching I have tried to pass on to front players.  First is hit the fucking ball the first chance you get.  Because about 90% of the time the extra setup touch means the opportunity is lost.  First the quick low shot was lovely, while heartbreaking. His second goal was a great example of how easy it is to score goals if you are smart and simply anticipate.  I screamed for years for players to attack the backside of the goal as that's where the easy goals are made.  I scored one with my dick in high school off the bounce.  How many times does a ball slide through and you can simple pass it back against the grain and make easy scores?  And how many of those past balls across the middle just roll out to the sideline wasting an opportunity? Boanga just anticipated what often happens and put himself in the right spot for an easy second goal.  His last hope eliminated crack was the low strike on the volley with his chest over the ball to keep it down. Exactly how it's supposed to be done, beautiful yet sickening as I finally changed the channel.

I was pissed that we played so poorly and got fucking schooled. But the coach/player part of me was screaming exactly on those goal!  Clearly to be a great striker you need to have the ball skills and ability to strike the ball.  But the little things like attacking the back side and striking at the first opportunity are simply playing smart.  And you can learn, practice and execute that at any level.

Now LAFC with Boanga on fire is for sure a tough opponent, but most of our extended possessions were simply games of keep away.  There has to be more overlapping runs and faster switching sides more frequently to create for opportunities for us. IMHO.  And for heaven's sake possessing along the back line or passing the ball back is all sell and good to create a seam and an opportunity.  But hell we were heading the wrong way more often than the right direction it seemed.  Sadly we did have some early opportunities, but we were clearly outclassed yesterday.  We need to press those possessions much more quickly forward than we did yesterday to get more opportunites, or even the hope of more opportunities.  I will say one thing, I can't blame Stuver on any of those fucking goals.

No argument to any of this - was doing pretty much the same.  Rather than just giving up and turning the channel, I did appreciate from a pure soccer standpoint the fluidity, teamwork, and anticipation that LAFC had.  Bouanga is a beast and will cause problems across the league.  Mark it down now, if he's not the clear MVP by the end of the season - he'll be in the top 3-4. 

Even though Austin FC was challenging everything and had the better of the play for most of the match as far as possession (60-40), those defensive lapses and lack of something truly creative up top was hard to watch.  Our best shot of the match was from Kolmanic around 30 yards away from goal!

...and yes, while Stuver did flap at a couple of crosses/corners, I didn't see him at fault for any of the three actual scored goals.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just sort of an overall lack of urgency.  I mean normally I expect nearly frenetic attacks for the first few pissed off minutes after an opponents goal.   I saw maybe 2 minutes or sort of frenetic effort, then back to non-threatening possession.  Not too much at all after either of the other two goals.

They almost need to make some sort of radical adjustment, but that leaves them open to counters.  Still maybe simply attack forcefully from the left or right backs the draw the defense toward the overload. Then try for deeper crosses to where the wing or attacking mid from the other side has a chance to slip in behind the shifting defense.  The specific intention of having the field switching cross as the preferred result of the defensive counter is to try to protect the more vulnerable space created by the rapid defenders advance creating the overload.

Of course reality might be a bad cross, quick counter, and fuck city.  Anytime you try to build attacks out of the back there is risk involved.  But for this team right now from the last couple outings we just are not getting many angled runs that can potentially get behind the defense.  Right now our possessions simply don't put the other team on their heels very much.  Again I will say how beautiful yesterdays goals are, and as I have said many times, sometimes the other guys are pretty damn good and make some great plays.  Hope we can find a way to be more threatening than for just a few moments next game.

9 hours ago, A-Tex Devil said:

If next week goes bad there has to be a shakeup.   But shit we aren’t deep enough to do it.  

I don’t know what to do about the back line. The depth is abominable and something we all saw coming the moment Gabrielsen decided not to come back, if not sooner.  The new Finn is OK and Ring has performed admirably but he needs to be in Pereirra’s spot because Perreira is going to fuck up defending at least twice a half while also doing a couple of cool things each half.   I’d be willing to give slow old Romana run to let Ring shore up the defensive midfield. Have Ring play the Adams-like role and Teen Wolff the Musah-like role.  

Would like to sit Rigoni (duh) and run Bruin and Finlay out there - maybe even two strikers with Bruin and Urruti to change things up.  Fagundez has reverted to Revs Fagundez and I think he misses Gallagher on his side.  We need him to figure it out.  Would like to see Djeffal get some run as well.  I liked him in the Colorado game.  

Unless we are extremely lucky when June transfer window hits, there isn’t any room to maneuver to get talent because we have two wasted DP spots. 

Ugh.  

That Serbian CB might be available Saturday. That won't fix everything but hopefully it'll be a start.

1 minute ago, Bottlecap said:

Dammit, that sucks. He's my favorite ATXFC player.

So, Gallagher back to LB and Lima to RB. Gallagher at LB will help Fagundez and I bet we'll see better attacking. This is probably a better back line for what Wolff wants to do anyway.

No Lundquivst instead of Lima?

I would hate to see Gallagher in a almost pure defensive position like Zan has been in with this new formation. Gallagher has so much offensive benefit. Maybe instead of the right back playing up, it'll switch to the left. Gallagher and Fagu is a better combination than anyone and Rigoni.

• Hook 'Em 3

yes, gallagher is being wasted on rigoni's side and fagundez has hit a wall without a real wingback to support his runs. However, Zan's left is a tool and because dumbass wolff thought he bought a legit 9 poacher, we decided to swing 1000 crosses from Zan into the box without success. Probably shoulda got someone better than cement block zardes to slip one home. Anyway, i actually think this might be addition by subtraction if wolff gets his shit together and plays gallaher on the left so we can get momentum going forward with the gal-fagundez-druissi triangle and not through the backpass merchant, two-left feet rigoni

• Hook 'Em 2

This season is fucked. Need to start watching Driussi's minutes yesterday. Or be fine with him loafing around a bit. 

Maybe they can unfuck some of these roster moves and we can have a decent 30 going into next season. As currently constructed we're just going to get worse as the season goes on with all of the depth issues.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

So…we have an extra pair for tonight’s match - section 118, row 9. Great seats, right up on the action, and we regularly sit with players’ families and whatnot. DM if interested.

how much we talking papi?

SeatGeek prices in our section are all $100+. Surly discount (and no SeatGeek fees) price - $70 each. And, you get to/have to sit next to me. And maybe also Gallagher’s charming and smoking hot wife Peyton.

And for that matter…someone make me a decent offer. Don’t want em to go to waste, and hate to put ‘em on SeatGeek these days.

Jeeeeesus fuck, did wolff visit the berhalter camp this winter and decide to model our entire attack after his world cup model?

yes i know they were together at columbus, but this was NOT our attacking philosophy last season. Slog it through the wings, pass it around the 18 without any clear intent, cross it into nobody inside the 6. Nice. Nice. It looks like Shaka's 30-second three pointer offense.

• Like 1