Welcome to Wrexham

ztejas

Wow.  A quick google search shows that this isn’t just some random team.  Oldest and historically most successful Welsh team  (although certainly not now), oldest stadium still hosting international soccer, third oldest club in world.   Should be fun. 

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, shnsajax said:

Trailer sucked me right in too!

I bet that you wish that it had been Ryan’s wife rather than the trailer. 

image.thumb.jpeg.c199aa19ec1775666bd1db229fecbfa5.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.237c690ad2ea935a8b308d4e96ee520d.jpeg

1 hour ago, midtown said:

Blue print for how to buy and fund a club.  Get two funny famous dudes.  Buy a club.  Get it on a network. Tweet about it.   Money rolls in.

There is no way that Wrexham won’t triple their merchandise sales this season, but I would expect numbers people would expect something more in the realm of a 20-fold increase with most of that coming from Canada 🍁  🇨🇦 & the USA 🇺🇸 💣 and the rest coming from Latin American & Asian women who have seen all of Ryan’s films and have no idea who Rob McElhenney is. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 2

1 minute ago, SimonBolivar said:

I really like it, but forgot how bad documentaries are with commercials.

Yeah it's a little awkward.

More awkward - showing/highlighting all of these spares that are surely going to be replaced once this team gets the money rolling. Oof. 

Edited by ztejas

2 per week, here is the upcoming schedule:

8/31/22

S1 E3 Rebuilding 
With just weeks before the season begins, Rob McElhenney and Ryan Reynolds find themselves having to convince star football players and executives to take a chance on Wrexham.

S1 E4 Home Opener
The first Wrexham home opener of the new era arrives, whether Rob McElhenney and Ryan Reynolds are ready for it or not.

9/7/22

S1 E5 Fearless 
Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney land an important partnership as the Wrexham goalies - and fans - face some tough contests.

S1 E6 Hamilton! 
Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney try to fulfill one of their biggest promises to Wrexham as a previous owner's dark shadow still lingers.

9/14/22

S1 E7 Wide World of Wales 
Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney take us through on a tour of Wales - and TV show formats.

S1 E8 Away We Go 
Wrexham Chairmen Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney make a surprise appearance at an away game to watch Wrexham play in person for the very first time.

I'm assuming that the last 2 are eps 7 and 8, they weren't labeled on the guide I pulled up.

• Hook 'Em 2

took a look at the wrexham season last year...that should certainly be a dramatic last few episodes.  spoilers below.

Spoiler

they finish 2nd in national league behind stockport county.  2nd and 3rd place in national get an bye in the first round of the national league playoff to win the second promotion spot into efl2.   they played grimsby town in the semifinal and lose 5-4 in a playoff to get out of national league and into efl2.  looking at that game, wrexham scored in the 63rd, 65th, and 80th minute to tie it up to go 4-4 and then they gave up a goal in the 119th minute to lose 5-4.  lol.  should make for some dramatic/heartbreak tv.  grimsby town went on to win the final and got promoted to efl2.

on top of that, they made it all the way to the final of the FA trophy tournament (FA Cup for the 5th level and down) and actually played the final at wembley.  they lost to bromley 1-0 in the final.

It certainly began to pick up more in Episode 3. 

As previously mentioned, it's got to be weird for some players to try to win promotion knowing that they're gone if successful.  It'd be especially odd for those rare players that have been on the same team, in the same league, for years.

21 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

It certainly began to pick up more in Episode 3. 

As previously mentioned, it's got to be weird for some players to try to win promotion knowing that they're gone if successful.  It'd be especially odd for those rare players that have been on the same team, in the same league, for years.

…not to mention Homegrowns.

Your family has supported a club since before you were born. You have supported a club all your life. You’ve always dreamed/dreamt of playing for that club and helping win a championship (promotion).

Your dream comes true. 

Your dream is dead. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/3/2022 at 5:50 AM, Napoleon said:

…not to mention Homegrowns.

Your family has supported a club since before you were born. You have supported a club all your life. You’ve always dreamed/dreamt of playing for that club and helping win a championship (promotion).

Your dream comes true. 

Your dream is dead. 

All true, but it's a great look into life in the lower divisions.

7 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

Casual fan of the sport but this show hooked me right away. 

They have to win the whole thing to move up? 

Yes. There are two promotion slots out of their current league (National League) and into the one above (League Two): 

1. Finish first and go up automatically. 
2. Win the playoffs. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I haven't dug much into the finances and all but I assume Deadpool and Rob are backed by some type of VC or silent investor.    I also wonder if this is a flip.  I'd like to think they are in it for the long haul because even though they are actors they seem to be really interested.   I will say though I find it odd they haven't attended any matches as far as I can tell.  Seems like a lot of this is being done by proxy.  Not that half the owners in the PL hardly attend matches.   Although I understand they both work but still if I can make it to ENG once a year for a match they can too.    Perhaps in a few years they sell off the bulk of the club but maintain a small ownership.   

1.  Buy forgotten financial disaster club with history

2.  Get massive exposure.  Ramp revs up with merch sales etc.   Spend on players.

3  Move up 2-3 leagues

4.  ???

5.  Sell and profit. 

As much as I think in part big $$ is probably ruining club football, for a city and club like Wrexham it's a godsend.   If this is successful and profitable I expect this could be a blueprint for more people to buy and refurbish a club.   The thing they have though is that they are very funny and likeable dudes.  

Edited by midtown
  • Like 1

Love the show thus far, but I'm also a huge Always Sunny fan so I was going to watch either way. I assume that the money FX is paying for the series is far less than the costs of the club, but Ryan Reynolds is probably rolling in dough. He's doing all sorts of stuff outside of the film industry. I don't think it's a flip or even temporary for the show. If they keep moving up I think they'll hold on for a while.

I’d actually enjoy it more if they could open their books for the year. No mention of the cost to buy the team, to acquire the stadium, the rebuild of the goal seating, the cost to buy mullin and the manager, juxtaposed against the revenue the team makes. Feels like they are going way in the red to make the jump, and how much/how long will be an issue. 

they are not deitmar hopp in either their money or their connection to the club. 

if they’re upside down a million pounds after year 1 and aren’t promoted, what’s the plan?