Welcome to Wrexham

ztejas

2 hours ago, A-Tex Devil said:

Coventry is middle table Championship.  Not bad.  Not bad at all.  

Coventry is in the championship, and Wrexham went on the road and beat them. That alone is impressive as hell.

Wrexham is the only 5th division team through to the 4th round thus far. There are two other 5th division teams in replays, so they might not be alone.

I am hoping they either draw an EPL team or someone really low. An EPL team would be great TV, as would a deep run in the FA Cup. 

This an example of a team fucking around and finding out. 
263DEC23-091F-446D-B394-09F8D2EA7898.thumb.jpeg.796697f5db1975e64cb4f5da652d0b88.jpeg

Coventry City rested too many starters. 

They were down 1-4 and playing with 10 men, but still almost came back after putting starters in.

The lineups for their two previous matches in the English League Championship.

196D6796-1DF1-406F-B850-6AC85B199F37.jpeg

0C7F269B-3DA6-437F-B099-0C26503FA3E2.jpeg

• Like 1

This an example of a team fucking around and finding out. 
263DEC23-091F-446D-B394-09F8D2EA7898.thumb.jpeg.796697f5db1975e64cb4f5da652d0b88.jpeg
They were down 1-4 and playing with 10 men, but still almost came back after putting starters in.
The lineups for their two previous matches in the English League Championship.

196D6796-1DF1-406F-B850-6AC85B199F37.thumb.jpeg.9987e508ef1b0a589b1db9499087d68f.jpeg
0C7F269B-3DA6-437F-B099-0C26503FA3E2.thumb.jpeg.93b5e123e617307a8fdbf2f84f9b4bb5.jpeg

West Brom did the same and got the equalizer in the 93rd to force a replay.

8 minutes ago, midtown said:

For Wrexham fans who didn't get to watch live. You can watch the highlights on YouTube.

Thanks.  I saw the top of the thread this morning, then found the game on replay on ESPN+.  It's weird that I latched on to this team as the ultimate underdog but now, they're the rich, financially supported club of the 5th division.

44 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Thanks.  I saw the top of the thread this morning, then found the game on replay on ESPN+.  It's weird that I latched on to this team as the ultimate underdog but now, they're the rich, financially supported club of the 5th division.

Ha, I was thinking the same thing yesterday.  They're in 2nd place right now behind Notts County.  Everyone should be cheering for Notts County as the underdog with no Hollywood attention and money coming in.

Edited by WBT
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 1/7/2023 at 4:57 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

Looking at the table for their league, it’s kinda funny that they are having a fantastic season this far, but another side is doing equally well. And with only one auto promotion they can be a dagger.  Might not be funny to rob, Ryan, and their die hard fans. 

4 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

3 hours ago, WBT said:

Ha, I was thinking the same thing yesterday.  They're in 2nd place right now behind Notts County.  Everyone should be cheering for Notts County as the underdog with no Hollywood attention and money coming in.

One thing about Notts County - they were up in the pros for a long while. Their relegation in 2019 was the first time ever they fell out of the football league. They probably see League 2 as their right. So fuck then.

in the end I think you have two teams that people dumped some money into to get them promoted. One of them for sure will. The only question is will 2nd place get tripped up like Wrexham did last year. 

19 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

One thing about Notts County - they were up in the pros for a long while. Their relegation in 2019 was the first time ever they fell out of the football league. They probably see League 2 as their right. So fuck then.

in the end I think you have two teams that people dumped some money into to get them promoted. One of them for sure will. The only question is will 2nd place get tripped up like Wrexham did last year. 

Notts County has had some noteworthy input in the recent years.

“On 27 January 2019, with County bottom of League Two, Hardy officially put the club up for sale, though not before attracting the attention of the FA for accidentally including a picture of his penis in a screenshot posted to Twitter.”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notts_County_F.C.

• Haha 3

Finally finished watching the replay on ESPN+. 

Wrexham played so well. What a fun match to watch.

They got a few breaks including what seemed to be an errant cross that went in for a goal and Coventry having three shots off of the woodwork (though one likely gets saved). 

On 1/7/2023 at 4:37 PM, Napoleon said:

yeah once they stopped screwing around with their backups the change was pretty stark. 

I really want to see them get promoted then watch the episode where they have to turn over the roster - they are going to want to keep climbing the ladder and with a few exceptions a lot of these guys will be cut loose so they can make a run at EFL 1.

5 hours ago, The Dog said:

"fans of the show" want them to not spoiler the results of a real sports team. 

Agreed.  And if ESPN could please hold off on the F1 races until I get to watch Drive to Survive, I'd appreciate it.  And while we're at it, fucking news channels, please stop talking about the Idaho killer until we get the Dateline NBC episode, the podcast, and the Netflix series.  I mean, spoilers, geez.

Edited by A-Tex Devil
  • Haha 1

On 1/13/2023 at 6:49 PM, RamjetFDO said:

Welp.

Hide contents

Wrexham are out of the FA Trophy tourney.

Lost today 2-2 (4-3 on PKs).

they played the shit squad:

https://www.leaderlive.co.uk/sport/23251096.much-changed-wrexham-suffer-penalty-shoot-out-defeat/

The Reds boss named a completely different side to the one that started the 2-1 midweek win over Bromley as he gave fringe players and youngsters a chance to impress in the FA Trophy fourth round tie.

A few things with the club:

1- they have started work on the Kop stands which were demoed over the weekend

Spoiler

2- due to scheduling moves (FA Cup/Trophy games), Wrexham finds themselves 3 points off the top of the standings, but they have 2 games in hand, so they have a slight advantage. 

8 hours ago, RamjetFDO said:

3-2 victory today with the winner in extra time.

Puts WAFC even on points and GD with Notts, but in second due to GF being +2 to Notts. They still have one match in hand against another basement side on Tuesday.

These standings show a flaw with the way the rankings are decided. While they have the same points, Wrexham has that on a 19-5-2 record, while Notts is 18-8-1. I think that +1 win should count for something.

Still, with a game in hand, they have a good chance to take the lead in the league. 

Also, they aren’t getting Sheffield at a good time. Sheffield is coming in on a 9 match unbeaten streak, with 8 of those being wins. That would be a huge win if they could get it. 

2 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

These standings show a flaw with the way the rankings are decided. While they have the same points, Wrexham has that on a 19-5-2 record, while Notts is 18-8-1. I think that +1 win should count for something.

Still, with a game in hand, they have a good chance to take the lead in the league. 

Also, they aren’t getting Sheffield at a good time. Sheffield is coming in on a 9 match unbeaten streak, with 8 of those being wins. That would be a huge win if they could get it. 

Wrexham needs to play the shit squad and worry about promotion.

This just popped up on my scoreboard. NICE.

Wrexham's league game this weekend against Woking will be PPD due to their FA Cup game against Sheffield United. That means they will get another game in hand (that will be made up Feb 14).

On 1/22/2023 at 12:09 AM, The Dog said:

Wrexham needs to play the shit squad and worry about promotion.

I disagree with this. At this point they get some good money, for their level, playing in these games. I think you ride this wave.

8 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

Sunday 1030am 

I can’t stand Jon Champion.

But I dislike British announcers in general, so he’s already starting off on the wrong foot.

If they are calling a British event, it’s understandable to use them, but they should never be used to call matches for American teams. Especially if the can’t even pronounce “America” correctly. 😡🤯