Welcome to Wrexham

ztejas

Help me out with something I can’t quite figure out. 

watching this game Vs an MLS game; this game is more interesting. Not because of Wrexham, the actual play has something that an MLS game lacks and I can’t put my finger on. I have an idea, but I want to see what you guys think. 

BOOM!  THREE!  SUPER PAUL MULLIN!

Wrexham have this important match done and dusted.  3-nil in the 77th.

The radio announcers are having a hard time seeing who scored as the Racecourse Ground lighting seems to be having issues.  C'mon Rob/Ryan - fix that shit!  :D

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

watching this game Vs an MLS game; this game is more interesting. Not because of Wrexham, the actual play has something that an MLS game lacks and I can’t put my finger on. I have an idea, but I want to see what you guys think. 

Not watching but I'd bet it's because this is a promotion/relegation battle - Wrexham trying to move up while Yeovil trying not to drop down.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, RamjetFDO said:

The radio announcers are having a hard time seeing who scored as the Racecourse Ground lighting seems to be having issues.  C'mon Rob/Ryan - fix that shit!  :D

You know, you can tell the National League had made it when they are right next to the Champions League for pirate streams. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, RamjetFDO said:

FINAL!

That was the game-in-hand and needed the 3pts.  Wrexham now 4 points clear of Notts County, but still one point back on GD if it comes to that.

The GD race will always go to Notts now. I think the only ways a tie in the standings can happen are:

Wrexham loses 2, Notts wins and draws their final 2. 

Wrexham gets 2 draws, Notts wins out.

I don’t think anything else is possible. 

23 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Not watching but I'd bet it's because this is a promotion/relegation battle - Wrexham trying to move up while Yeovil trying not to drop down.

So back to this.

I think that adds to the intensity of the game. But I’m not sure it adds to the quality.

So my one thought about why this is a better watch than the MLS was this: I don’t disagree that the MLS talent-wise is a better league. But I think that this game the teams appear to have an overall team tactical plan that is much more coherent than what you see in the MLS. I feel like the MLS team cohesion breaks down at a much earlier point and that it’s a lot more improvisation than tactics, while this game seemed to be tactical for much longer.

I would put most of that due to these guys playing structured soccer a lot longer than Americans do. At some point the structure of play becomes a lot more ingrained.

Thoughts?

• Hook 'Em 1

Next match- boreham wood- have only scored 50 goals but only conceded 35. So I guess they play defensive football.  But I think that’s at the racecourse (English football lists home team first?) and I’m sure they’ll want to clinch there. Could make for a close game late into it. 

then a bottom table team to finish off, hopefully not playing to stay up. They are 6 points clear of the team below them for third to last. 

Pretty easy math now:
Win either of their last 2, Wrexham advances.
They also advance if Notts drops any points and Wrexham gets any result.
Notts also can’t lose a game or they are done too. 

I mean yeah, but let’s see what the writers have to say about this first!
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

8 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

So back to this.

I think that adds to the intensity of the game. But I’m not sure it adds to the quality.

So my one thought about why this is a better watch than the MLS was this: I don’t disagree that the MLS talent-wise is a better league. But I think that this game the teams appear to have an overall team tactical plan that is much more coherent than what you see in the MLS. I feel like the MLS team cohesion breaks down at a much earlier point and that it’s a lot more improvisation than tactics, while this game seemed to be tactical for much longer.

I would put most of that due to these guys playing structured soccer a lot longer than Americans do. At some point the structure of play becomes a lot more ingrained.

Thoughts?

The weather plays a huge part of it. When it’s cold and damp, you can run full speed all the time without overheating. 

The refs allow a ton more rough play than in the U.S., so fewer stoppages and more brutal. 

More desperation for these guys because they frequently come from shitty backgrounds. Good players in the U.S. frequently came from backgrounds where a coach is paid for most of the kids’ youths.  Also, the imports are getting paid much better than the average Wrexham player and in the MLS, people aren’t looking to knock opponents out of the game. There is more professional respect. 

3 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

I thought everyone in MLS came from some part of Buenos Aires.

Over half the #10s in the league, plus a few dozen more. 

But Argentina has had about 100% inflation this past year, so surprisingly futbolistas are quite happy to ply their trade in the MLS.

On 4/19/2023 at 1:46 PM, Napoleon said:

The weather plays a huge part of it. When it’s cold and damp, you can run full speed all the time without overheating. 

The refs allow a ton more rough play than in the U.S., so fewer stoppages and more brutal. 

More desperation for these guys because they frequently come from shitty backgrounds. Good players in the U.S. frequently came from backgrounds where a coach is paid for most of the kids’ youths.  Also, the imports are getting paid much better than the average Wrexham player and in the MLS, people aren’t looking to knock opponents out of the game. There is more professional respect. 

I’d say it’s commitment and passion.  Fans live for the game and the club, it’s all the players have done since they were five years old; all they ever wanted to do. It means something to everyone involved.  Not sure what is meant about how Wrexham players are paid but they get paid the most in the division and probably the league above too.  I can’t tell if you are saying there’s more professional respect in mls?  Yes in a way since some players in the national league won’t be full time professionals, but also the further down the leagues you go the more it’s like old fashioned English football.  Highly physical, constant attack, long balls, strength over technique.  Effort is heralded, which includes kicking your opponent up in the air.

Stating the obvious, but draws are likely to no longer matter- assume notts gets their 6 points and if wrexham is tied in the latter stages of this game, go aggressively for the win.  

do they do the last match day at the same times so that nobody has the advantage of knowing anyone else’s result, outside of live updates?  

i am already reconsidering my above opinion, as a draw does help if notts was to draw next weekend- so maybe you secure one point today if it’s there, since next match result isn’t guaranteed. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

10 minutes ago, C-Man said:

So check my math. Notts wins last two and Wrexham draws last two and Notts clinches on GD?

See:

On 4/18/2023 at 4:51 PM, Captain Ron said:

The GD race will always go to Notts now. I think the only ways a tie in the standings can happen are:

Wrexham loses 2, Notts wins and draws their final 2. 

Wrexham gets 2 draws, Notts wins out.

I don’t think anything else is possible. 

@Captain Ron do you know how many are relegated from this league?  Looking ahead to next week, everyone at the bottom of the table is currently losing and if those hold, torquay will be 6 clear of the bottom 3.  Would that mean they have nothing to play for next week?

edit- looks like the bottom 4 go down, so they should be motivated to jump up a spot as that is within reach. 

lol and the team ahead of them is York city, who play notts next week.  So the two matches that affect the championship also affect the last relegated club. 

Writers are a bit on the nose here. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

Fun late game goals at the bottom of the table to reorganize some things.  Torqay now 3 pts behind two clubs and is -8 and -14 in goal diff against them. So to stay up they would need one of those teams to lose, and then beat wrexham by 8 or 14 goals (maybe that doesn’t even do it depending on the next tiebreaker as they are way behind on goals conceded) minus the amount that team was to lose by. 

let’s hope the lads can finish the job today and not worry about what might be a crazy attack next week. 

Geez you aren't kidding. Entering the day the last relegation spot was:

18. Aldershot Town 51
19. York City 49
20. Maidenhead United 49
21. Torquay United 46

Aldershot and York City played a huge game, Aldershot scored in the 16', but York City scored at 56' and 70' to take the lead. Aldershott scored at 90+1' to tie the game.

Maidenhead United traded late goals with Barnet for a 1-1 draw

Torquay United conceded at 90+1' to Altrincham for a draw.

The new standings are:

18. Aldershot Town 52 (now safe)
19. York City 50
20. Maidenhead United 50
21. Torquay United 47

The late goals that forced draws for Torquay and York were big. Torquay's draw pushed Aldershot to safety and York blowing it late left them in the relegation race (though 3 points clear). Maidenhead's draw pushed them 3 points out which was also big.

So the final week:

Maidenhead United travels to Gateshead (17th place)

Torquay United hosts Wrexham

York City travels to Notts County

If Wrexham doesn't win today, that means the title and relegation will be on the line in the same two games!

2 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Anyone got a stream link for the game?

I find that 'reddit soccer streams wrexham' is a good search string for the googles.

• Hook 'Em 1