Welcome to Wrexham

ztejas

So, is there any courtesy, tradition, or etiquette that is followed by a team that has already claimed a promotion as to how they play the rest of the season (one match in this instance?). 

because you know torquay will be hellbent for leather trying to win by 6 or 8 to try to give themselves a chance, and if wrexham play the bottom of their roster so get some guys some exposure because they aren’t likely to remain with the club in league 2, it could get crazy. 

I'd been holding off on watching the last episode of season 1 until I saw how this season ended. 

Yeah I'm a wimp but I wanted to watch to see it from the perspective of knowing that things worked out for them in the end.

Promotion out of the National League is incredibly cruel - literally soccer purgatory.

Sure hope Notts wins the playoff - they deserve it.

2 hours ago, The Dog said:

this is great:

There was a really great moment when Ben Foster was being interviewed by BT Sport post game on the pitch and the fans behind the goal were singing that really catchy tune 🎶 SUPER BEN FOSTER IN GOAL 🎶

Swear it's been in my head all day now.

Found it:

Edited by TheBryMan81

8 hours ago, RamjetFDO said:
9 hours ago, The Dog said:
this is great:

I have so enjoyed their commentary when I couldn't find a video stream. I hope they stay as the voices of the club matches going forward.

If they do anything else besides pay Mark Griffiths money to keep doing what he's doing it's going to be a crying shame. 

11 hours ago, shnsajax said:

Season 3 is going to be fun. New American fans are going to be assuming promotion again or bust.

Well, Stockport won the National League last year and they are in running for promotion to League 1 already this year. Work to do, but possible.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Well, Stockport won the National League last year and they are in running for promotion to League 1 already this year. Work to do, but possible.  

True, and I hope so. But the sad reality is that a lot of these current players are going to have to be replaced with better ones and how the gel vs new competition will be interesting to watch. Top 3 automatic promotion will help with a playoff between 4-7.

47 minutes ago, MAUFRAIS said:

That process is fascinating. I can not imagine the fights outside of DKR if a loss meant we were getting sent down to FCS.

The admin might be a little more aggressive with things if a 5-7 season dropped us to the sun belt and the loss of revenue that went along with it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, shnsajax said:

True, and I hope so. But the sad reality is that a lot of these current players are going to have to be replaced with better ones and how the gel vs new competition will be interesting to watch. Top 3 automatic promotion will help with a playoff between 4-7.

Not yet necessarily. The strategy from the beginning was offer big contracts to higher level players in order to get Wrexham talent that would be better than the rest of the National League.

Super Paul Mullen was the lead scorer for League Two two years ago, so they already have one of the best players in the league. Ollie Palmer was brought in from AFC Wimbledon when they were in League One. Captain Ben Tozer has a tiny bit of Premier League experience with Newcastle and was more recently was League Two player of the year prior to joining the Red Dragons. Elliott Lee played two tiers above in League One. And the manager has Championship experience if I remember correctly.

As they're currently built, they are certainly capable of making a run through League Two. If they make it to League One quickly, I think that's where upgrades will have to happen.

• Hook 'Em 2

Saw this impressive stat:

23 games at home

22 wins, 0 losses, 1 draw.

67 out of 69 possible points at the Racecourse.

That's a home field advantage.

Also impressive: RR have apparently also invested in the Women's side (semi professional, currently play in the Welsh second division and will move up to Welsh premiere League next year) . The Wrexham women last month completed the first ever perfect season: 12 matches, 12 wins 0 losses 0 draws.

Edited by TheBryMan81
I was told there would be no math
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 4/22/2023 at 5:00 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

So, is there any courtesy, tradition, or etiquette that is followed by a team that has already claimed a promotion as to how they play the rest of the season (one match in this instance?). 

because you know torquay will be hellbent for leather trying to win by 6 or 8 to try to give themselves a chance, and if wrexham play the bottom of their roster so get some guys some exposure because they aren’t likely to remain with the club in league 2, it could get crazy. 

It's not Wrexham's problem that Torquay needs to win by a crapload of goals so I'd assume Wrexham will just play the scrubs and let the chips fall where they may. Torquay needs to not only make up the goal differential they also need Maidenhead to lose. 

22 hours ago, shnsajax said:

Yup. Their roster is better than your average National League team (by a lot) but if R&R want to strive for promotion to League 1 they will need to further upgrade the roster. Will definitely suck for those who helped them get promoted but that's how it works. 

Edit to add: both Stockport and Grimsby turned over significant portions of their rosters after being promoted. They appear to have raided the other National League clubs for their best talent as well as getting players from EFL2 and higher leagues through transfers and/or loans. I'd expect Wrexham to do the same but be even more aggressive. 

On 4/23/2023 at 11:27 AM, Pato del Muerto said:

I think I read that the national league doesn’t fall under the fair play financial rules. Can I presume that league 2 does? 

Yup - but they should be ok. 

https://www.financialfairplay.co.uk/scmp.php 

Edited by The Dog

22 hours ago, TheBryMan81 said:

That video brings the feels.

Imagine being a 40 yr old ex Man U/PL keeper getting called out of retirement, saving the PK against Notts, and then experiencing this magical season. 

Actors buying vineyards was the old status symbol. Now it's going to be owning football clubs.

4 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

T-Mobile instead of TikTok?

The shirt sponsor is ... fluid.

https://www.footyheadlines.com/2023/03/wrexham-extend-macron-deal-tiktok-to-follow.html

The move up to League 2 👍

TikTok potentially being banned 👎

If you take away the second part, I think 1 makes it a no brainer.