2023 OL Payton Kirkland

Getafix

6 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Four-Star OT Payton Kirkland commits to Texas.

Payton-Kirkland-scaled.jpg

Four-star offensive tackle Payton Kirkland of Orlando (Fla.) Dr. Phillips High announced his commitment to Texas Saturday evening.

The 6-foot-7, 345 pounder chose the Longhorns over Michigan State, Miami, Oklahoma, Alabama, and Florida.

Payton Kirkland on why he chose Texas

“The trust I have in coach (Kyle) Flood and (Steve) Sarkisian,” Kirkland said. “Loyalty runs deep with me and them. They were there for me at a time when nobody else was.”

Strong relationship with coaching staff

“It’s more of a family relationship than a coach and player relationship,” Kirkland said. “Our conversations are rarely ever about football.”

Kirkland on Arch Manning & Texas’ 2023 Class

“Arch is a great friend of mine and we have always talked about playing together in college and things just so happened to work out in our favor,” Kirkland said. “It means a lot to be a part of this class. I can’t wait to compete in the SEC with this talented group of guys.”

The sunshine state offensive lineman joins coach Sarkisian and the Longhorns’ top 5 class in the 2023 team rankings. Arch Manning, Derek Williams, and Johntay Cook II headline the class.

Kirkland ranks as the No. 296 player in the On3 Consensus, a complete and equally weighted industry-generated average that accounts for all four major recruiting sites. He also tabs in as the No. 22 offensive tackle and the No. 60 player in the state of Florida. 

• Hook 'Em 6