Black Panther 2: Electric Boogaloo (Wakanda Forever)

mdmost

• mdmost changed the title to Black Panther 2: Electric Boogaloo (Wakanda Forever)

I thought that trailer was awesome.

Cooler is one of the best around today, so I think this tops a billion at the box office. Less sure it gets as high as the first Black Panther movie without Boseman or Jordan.

• Hook 'Em 1

The lady singing the cover is Nigerian (big ups to my people). I can understand the thought that re-casting would have better, but this is one of those times where the impact and esteem of the actor was going to make that difficult. In hindsight, going to a new person taking on the role was made easier by them initially not making T'Challa exactly like he was in the comics as another "genius-type" inventor and passing that off to Shuri. If that was an integral part of the role in the movie, hard to make that happen. 

I think many in the studio would prefer the role didn't go to Shuri because of the actress, but not sure who had final say on that....

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, naija said:

The lady singing the cover is Nigerian (big ups to my people). I can understand the thought that re-casting would have better, but this is one of those times where the impact and esteem of the actor was going to make that difficult. In hindsight, going to a new person taking on the role was made easier by them initially not making T'Challa exactly like he was in the comics as another "genius-type" inventor and passing that off to Shuri. If that was an integral part of the role in the movie, hard to make that happen. 

I think many in the studio would prefer the role didn't go to Shuri because of the actress, but not sure who had final say on that....

Guessing Feige and Coogler.

I was going to call this thread Black Panther 2:Antivax Boogaloo. 

I'm wondering if the Queen's speech is after the snap happens since both T'Challa and Shuri were snapped out. Maybe in a catching up with past events portion of the movie. 

Edited by mdmost

3 hours ago, naija said:

no way you can recast, no way 

21 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

I would have hated a recast - i really don’t usually care, but this feels like it would be different. And I think the cast would have felt it was extremely insulting to Chadwick’s Black Panther legacy. 

14 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

I bet it’s Nakia, too-just makes too much sense and it’s thematically consistent.  Plus the ladies were almost the best part of the first one.  

There’s got to be some way in which Atlantis mirrors Wakanda; to me that’s a much more interesting jumping off point than a more typical “search for a replacement” story or a Killmonger redemption tour (I bet they could make the latter work but it would undermine so much of richness and consequences that made the first one so moving).  

4 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

4 hours ago, Js1 said:

I would have hated a recast - i really don’t usually care, but this feels like it would be different. And I think the cast would have felt it was extremely insulting to Chadwick’s Black Panther legacy. 

I’m glad they didn’t recast, but holy shit, all of the people dressed in white and dancing, I’m assuming that’s a funeral procession for T’Challa.

That scene is going to leave a lot of people bawling.

It’ll be the opposite of the scene in James Cameron’s Titanic where people were standing up and cheering when Leonardo DiCaprio/Jack died.

On 7/24/2022 at 11:58 AM, mdmost said:

The use of a Bob Marley tune is fitting since both died at the height of their popularity from cancer. Also love the use of Kendrick Lamar's Alright. 

Yeaaaaaahhhhhh, that transition is pretty amazing.   Trailer was fucking amazing.   Cant wait for the movie

21 minutes ago, naija said:

Killmonger would be a disappointment, honestly. Not just because of the character but having Michael B Jordan taking over the role

My hope is Nakia.  Maybe we get a fake out with Shuri and it's not her in the end. 

26 minutes ago, Js1 said:

My hope is Nakia.  Maybe we get a fake out with Shuri and it's not her in the end. 

I'm thinking Nakia is a possibility, The person in the trailer has way too big of arms and legs to be Shuri. There is a lego set out that shows Shuri in a Black Panther-like outfit, but it's without a mask and she's wearing her blasters on her hands, not claws.

52 minutes ago, naija said:

Killmonger would be a disappointment, honestly. Not just because of the character but having Michael B Jordan taking over the role

Well, it's not like he died a redeemed person. If he was back somehow, he still would use the Black Panther for the same goals he had in the first film. Even the What If? version double crossed everyone. 

I agree that it's Nakia. I think the Shuri actress ensured her future would be less than ideal when she was an issue leading up to filming. 

Nakia is one of the better options, and not that it can't be explained away  ... but Lupita is sporting rather long dreads for the entire trailer... (of course they don't show the helmet/mask, and we've seen suits do funnier things in the MCU)

27 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Well, it's not like he died a redeemed person. If he was back somehow, he still would use the Black Panther for the same goals he had in the first film. Even the What If? version double crossed everyone. 

I agree that it's Nakia. I think the Shuri actress ensured her future would be less than ideal when she was an issue leading up to filming. 

I think if Wright had continued on that path maybe. Marvel got to her fairly quickly and it got shut down fast.  She hasn't backtracked, but it hasn't really come up again. I also don't sense that Coogler would have a problem with it. It should be pointed out that medical skepticism is not a passing fancy in the Black diaspora and while it might not be the group that would bring in the most revenue for this movie, I do think it is the group the studio is most sensitive to. Kyrie Irving is not a pariah. The biggest risk, if it went that way, is what she would say after the release, press tours, before the next movie etc...

Of course it’s going to be a woman.

That shouldn’t surprise anyone, years ago Feige said the MCU was going to be more than half female superheroes. This is an easy decision for Disney.

According to the first movie anyone can be BP right? They just have to drink that magic potion.

10 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

That shouldn’t surprise anyone, years ago Feige said the MCU was going to be more than half female superheroes. This is an easy decision for Disney.

According to the first movie anyone can be BP right? They just have to drink that magic potion.

Those things were all destroyed though when Killmonger became BP