Black Panther 2: Electric Boogaloo (Wakanda Forever)

mdmost

narrows it down to one of two people, and unless its a total head fake, Shuri is the one featured prominently in that trailer. I can see Marvel deciding to let this out before it hits to deal with whatever backlash might be coming now...

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Opens Friday. Checking in at 84% rotten tomatoes so far. Also checking in with a 2:41 run time. Oof.

so my large coke will be pressing to escape my bladder just as the final fight scene is about to start. 

Edited by elfenix
in DCU it'd be about an hour into the final fight scene

It was good.  Not great.  Much like the first one, a perfectly fine Marvel movie among the Top half of their movies, but won't be as good as it's hyped.  Dragged in a few spots. Little rushed in others.

But all in all, I'd recommend it if you really like Marvel movies.

I really enjoyed watching this yesterday. The “Bald-Headed Demon” comment got a laugh from everyone. A friend went to another showing and said the same thing. Cool movie and worth watching. I felt the remembrance for Chadwick Bozeman was so heartfelt and well done.

Edited by UpperWestside
  • Hook 'Em 4

Marvel is lucky to have Coogler. He is a good story-teller and the world building has been excellent. There was a minefield waiting for whoever tried to depict Wakandan culture and the man has almost flawlessly integrated real African things in a way that draws applause universally. The change in the story of Namor, also similarly well done. I wonder what the original script was and we will probably never know, but they did right by Boseman (no doubt some of the tears were real). Every now and then you forget Marvel does have gifted actors play these roles and then Angela Bassett does Angela Bassett things.
I think the second half suffers from the same superhero overload almost all these movies do these days. It's just too much and too many people who can do shit. When narrowed down, the action is great. My other complaint--and this has been going on since Ironman 2--is that technology is too big of an equalizer in the MCU. No matter which superhuman is encountered, you can be sure there is someone, somewhere, that can build a suit or machine or something to counter it. 

• Hook 'Em 4

I liked it enough. I thought Namor and his crew were cool. Great anti-heroes or villains or whatever you want to call them. Aside from your garden variety plot holes that are in all of these comic book films, I thought it was fine.

To a certain extent, Marvel has raised the bar on all of these movies that it's hard to put out something that truly wows people. We're at a bit of a saturation point. But by the same token, they have the formula down so well and have such high production values that I feel like they have a pretty high floor, too. I don't know how they move the needle going forward. They all kind of seem to be stuck in the middle somewhere.

I didn't envy them having to make this movie without Chadwick Boseman but they handled it so respectfully and deftly. I did feel a little awkward during those two long, silent pauses in the movie though. I can't ever remember being a movie theatre that silent and for that long.

• Hook 'Em 2

I think the original was mediocre and in my bottom three Marvel movies.

I thought this one was solid. Probably in the mix in the second tier of movies. Namor was cool. Shuri wasn’t annoying like in the first movie. Angela Bassett is probably too good for Marvel. She’s also buff AF.

It was weird seeing JLD. Her scenes felt like the Marvel TV shows and didn’t work for me.

Did they ever explain why some of Namor’s people were blue out of the water and normal skin toned in the water? I think some characters had the reverse skin tones.

Thought it was a bad continuity error that it took Namor forever to get down to the underwater city with an assist from a water funnel “highway” but when braids found the city it was 150 meters underwater.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

I think the original was mediocre and in my bottom three Marvel movies.

I thought this one was solid. Probably in the mix in the second tier of movies. Namor was cool. Shuri wasn’t annoying like in the first movie. Angela Bassett is probably too good for Marvel. She’s also buff AF.

It was weird seeing JLD. Her scenes felt like the Marvel TV shows and didn’t work for me.

Did they ever explain why some of Namor’s people were blue out of the water and normal skin toned in the water? I think some characters had the reverse skin tones.

Thought it was a bad continuity error that it took Namor forever to get down to the underwater city with an assist from a water funnel “highway” but when braids found the city it was 150 meters underwater.

Spoiler

I think that you couldn't see the blue when it was underwater, like they were looking through a blue lens.

That was just the cavern where Riri and Shuri were held, not the city.

• Hook 'Em 1

it must have been pretty good bc i'm not into superhero movies and i barely even remember the first one but i thought this one was enjoyable even though i just went under protest bc my mate wanted me to go with him lol. i think it was the acting, it was all very good. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I thought Namor was one of the most compelling villains we’ve seen. He can fly. He commands troop carriers via whales and orcas. He murdered a bunch of conquistadors and slave owners in vengeance. He can appear anywhere there’s water, even in the middle of Africa as long as there’s a lake? That’s so cool 

7 hours ago, Js1 said:

I thought Namor was one of the most compelling villains we’ve seen. He can fly. He commands troop carriers via whales and orcas. He murdered a bunch of conquistadors and slave owners in vengeance. He can appear anywhere there’s water, even in the middle of Africa as long as there’s a lake? That’s so cool 

I agree- Coogler really has a way of making compelling, complex, and humane 'villains'. Killmonger and Namor are the best two in the whole MCU.

That being said.... while I thought the bolded above was awesome, I couldn't help but wonder if Namor was driving Knight Boat.

Just got back from seeing it. I enjoyed it. I thought it was a good sequel to the original and did a really good job of picking up the impossible task of replacing Chadwick. The reimagining of Namor was the highlight for me. Coogler does a great job of world craft. The underwater city was impressive and had great little nods like the people playing pitz with the stone hoops on the walls. I loved that Shuri's mask. Fit with her character at the time. I'll be curious if they change it for the next movie she's in. And that mid-credit scene. I had a feeling that was going to happen. 

• 2 months later...

Missed getting to see this in theaters, so the family just watched it now that it is on D+. I enjoyed it very much. The tribute scenes to Chad were good. I also like the struggle between her Killmonger / Tchalla sides and adapting her brothers line from Civil War - we have let our vengeance consume us, but we shouldn’t let it consume our people. 

This movies was god awful, worse than the last Thor movie which is an amazing feat because that sucked ass. Story was weak as shit, acting was weak, action was weak. Just fucking shit.

Marvel has lost their way because outside of the gems of Loki, Wandavision, and Spidey, most of the shit they put since End Game has sucked ass. I didn't even finish She Hulk or Ms Marvel series. 

Ant Man better be fucking great or I am completely out.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 2/8/2023 at 9:22 AM, crash_davis said:

This movies was god awful, worse than the last Thor movie which is an amazing feat because that sucked ass. Story was weak as shit, acting was weak, action was weak. Just fucking shit.

Marvel has lost their way because outside of the gems of Loki, Wandavision, and Spidey, most of the shit they put since End Game has sucked ass. I didn't even finish She Hulk or Ms Marvel series. 

Ant Man better be fucking great or I am completely out.

Totally agree. It was terrible.  My 11yo, who loves everything Marvel, was ready to walkout.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Bump. I noticed this was on disney+ so I decided to check it out. With about 30 minutes left I realized I didn’t care how it turned out so I stopped watching.

From looking at Wikipedia for both this and the original, this one severely underperformed. I wasn’t surprised by that.

They really screwed up killing off Killmonger.  Not because Chadwick died, but because Killmonger gave them a lot more to work with in general going forward.