Clear the list

InkaUtexas

I was introduced to this by a OU grad who is pushing this pretty hard. I know it sucks that teachers struggle for basic support. That is on us as a country. NO CR. But employers need a work force. 

So if you are on twitter please follow @kkirtley26. She is pushing this hard. A good person. A good cause. 

Nuff said. Let's do this Longhorns. 1 Alum, 1 teacher. 

BTW, all support is direct to the classroom. This is not a 501c BS move. 

Edited by InkaUtexas
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

I taught high school a million years ago on an Emergency Certificate then switched to lounging around on college campuses, including UT where I possibly warped the minds of a few fuckers on this site.

High School teaching is odd. They set up hoops to jump through, then give people incentives to leave. There's not much room for people to come in from other careers, but if you can stand the Karens I guess it's like 20 years in the Army, do your time and retire relatively young.

Summer sanity breaks are essential but when I was getting out of it they seemed determined to whittle those down.

• Hook 'Em 2

$50K in the US and territories. $10K in Canada. Was sent this tonight. 10 days of effort. Sucks being the only Longhorn on the team, but this made it worth it. 

If interested, follow Holly Hayes on Twitter. She is doing some amazing stuff. 

And for those who wonder about my hours, yeah, I work crazy ones. Conference call with East Africa in 24 mins. 

2rnGVlls.jpg-medium.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

No teachers from my kids' elementary school is on the list. Their middle and high school teachers all suck so F them. 

So do I just choose a random teacher to donate to? That's not creepy at all.

BTW, here's the wish list.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ENgL_E1iQLZXZq-zGWqk1To11O8r9oyojb-8uHU1UWc/edit#gid=0

Here's a website consolidating the requests. Not sure if there's another.

https://www.getyourteachon.com/clearthelist

• Hook 'Em 1

Yep, a good friend (Canadian who teaches here in Texas) is really hunting for jobs. And it is not the pay, it is the bullshit.

My kids are out of school so I decided to donate what I would have spent on their supplies. Then this shit started to grow.

And yes, that is the plan. An organized group. I am building the structure of the new 501 today during work breaks. Teachers need support during the year. 

Well I got my ass kicked by Sooners on that group. Where the fuck are those Surly 1% hanging out? 

Thanks for doing anything you do @crash_davis  

• Hook 'Em 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/26/2022 at 11:54 PM, Schulz2.0 said:

Always happy to help out good causes like these.

On 8/27/2022 at 10:14 AM, 4th_and_18 said:

Yes please.

First ordered delivered. There is another coming in a few days. Tell them to kick some ass on twitter. DM me if you want my handle. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Willfully Horn said:

Went in search of the motto root, and found this thread. We are in. Thanks, Inka.

Thanks man. If you do donate and want to remain anonymous just put in Friends from UT. She will know. 

OU alumni is kicking my ass. Those fuckers will donate. Guess it is that or spend some more $ on their double wide. 

• 1 month later...

Bumping an old thread because goddamn, I didn't realize what a big deal these things were, and how much it matters.

The origin of this: we do some quasi-foster kid work with a refugee kid, and have done so for a few years.  We help him navigate school, healthcare, pay for his soccer fees and travel, pay for tutoring to get his reading skills up to speed, stuff like that.  We can, so we do.  He's now in high school, but as part of that whole process, we got to know teachers and admin at his elementary and then jr. high school; one of his former elementary school teachers still tutors him, for example.

Anyway, the elementary school is in a quite low-income area, and its resources reflect that.  The faculty was doing a fundraiser for a refrigerator.  The school didn't have a single fridge (other than the food services one in the cafeteria) -- no place for faculty to put their lunches, to keep important medicines that have to stay chilled, to put school projects, etc.  So, they were fundraising to buy one.  My wife looks at the list, sees they needed another $350 to reach the purchase price, so she sends $350, without giving it much further thought.

This morning, she's avalanched with calls from the principal and grateful faculty members.  She texts me "they have lost their shit.  The called me over the moon excited . . . it's like I handed them $10k.  It was only $350.  It makes me happy, but also kind of sad.  Me giving them money for a damned refrigerator shouldn't be such a big deal."  But, it was.  My wife's business (which is NOT a big moneymaker) typically picks a charity or cause to donate to each year as part of its year-end wrap up.  She's thinking that since it makes such a difference, this school is going to be the recipient of the business's additional giving this year.

So, that was a real wake-up call to me, and wanted to share the kick in the pants with the rest of y'all.  I hadn't paid much attention, but these "clear the list" deals really matter, and really make a difference.  We can give, so fuck it, why not?  

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

On 8/29/2022 at 12:35 PM, Samson's Wig said:

Where are the lists?  I would love to help but finding that I'm too stupid to find the links to the wishlists.

Are you on twitter? there are a ton of them. This teacher is a good follow. She is in North Texas but tracks a lot of teachers. We just finished a push to help her sister in Puerto Rico recover after the hurricane. The shit she was asking for was minor, but needed. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 10/14/2022 at 9:25 AM, Brisketexan said:

Bumping an old thread because goddamn, I didn't realize what a big deal these things were, and how much it matters.

The origin of this: we do some quasi-foster kid work with a refugee kid, and have done so for a few years.  We help him navigate school, healthcare, pay for his soccer fees and travel, pay for tutoring to get his reading skills up to speed, stuff like that.  We can, so we do.  He's now in high school, but as part of that whole process, we got to know teachers and admin at his elementary and then jr. high school; one of his former elementary school teachers still tutors him, for example.

Anyway, the elementary school is in a quite low-income area, and its resources reflect that.  The faculty was doing a fundraiser for a refrigerator.  The school didn't have a single fridge (other than the food services one in the cafeteria) -- no place for faculty to put their lunches, to keep important medicines that have to stay chilled, to put school projects, etc.  So, they were fundraising to buy one.  My wife looks at the list, sees they needed another $350 to reach the purchase price, so she sends $350, without giving it much further thought.

This morning, she's avalanched with calls from the principal and grateful faculty members.  She texts me "they have lost their shit.  The called me over the moon excited . . . it's like I handed them $10k.  It was only $350.  It makes me happy, but also kind of sad.  Me giving them money for a damned refrigerator shouldn't be such a big deal."  But, it was.  My wife's business (which is NOT a big moneymaker) typically picks a charity or cause to donate to each year as part of its year-end wrap up.  She's thinking that since it makes such a difference, this school is going to be the recipient of the business's additional giving this year.

So, that was a real wake-up call to me, and wanted to share the kick in the pants with the rest of y'all.  I hadn't paid much attention, but these "clear the list" deals really matter, and really make a difference.  We can give, so fuck it, why not?  

How does a teacher get on these lists?  Asking for my daughter.

12 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

If you have a daughter old enough to be a teacher, she knows social media. She doesn’t need her dad begging. She’ll figure it out. 

Just now, Schulz2.0 said:

But she is free to post pictures here in exchange for our generosity.

It's like y'all haven't been paying attention.  I posted pics back when she was still in college.  Ya snooze ya lose.

If you want something similar to this, but for needy children,  there are a fair number of "Christmas Angel" type of organizations.   I would recommend finding one that is tied to a women's shelter, children's hospital or organization that works with specific people.   They will have specific kids/mothers/families on their list that are already confirmed to need support.  

We have done this for several years and for ones we have used I liked where they gave you a specific list/kid description.  Such as 5 years old girl or 8 year old boy.   Then provided a list of what was requested, and sizes.  When you get a wish list and it starts with winter coat and then shoes (not Air Jordan's, but just tennis shoes) along with sizes, coloring books and other small requests it makes you and your kids appreciate what you have, but also that you are truly helping someone in need.   We often would get clothing at the size requested and then the next size up too.

It's usually anonymous, and it let's the kids parents (or Santa if the parent chooses that route) be the ones giving the kids something which I also think is important.

• Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, ABSR said:

If you want something similar to this, but for needy children,  there are a fair number of "Christmas Angel" type of organizations.   I would recommend finding one that is tied to a women's shelter, children's hospital or organization that works with specific people.   They will have specific kids/mothers/families on their list that are already confirmed to need support.  

We have done this for several years and for ones we have used I liked where they gave you a specific list/kid description.  Such as 5 years old girl or 8 year old boy.   Then provided a list of what was requested, and sizes.  When you get a wish list and it starts with winter coat and then shoes (not Air Jordan's, but just tennis shoes) along with sizes, coloring books and other small requests it makes you and your kids appreciate what you have, but also that you are truly helping someone in need.   We often would get clothing at the size requested and then the next size up too.

It's usually anonymous, and it let's the kids parents (or Santa if the parent chooses that route) be the ones giving the kids something which I also think is important.

we make our 12 yr old pick a kid every year, and she buys the gifts from her allowance.

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

word.

Read the list, buy the shit at your local mom and pop, take it to the school. help teachers and fuck bezos. Win-win.

I do that for my local elementary. With a few buddies we adopted a third grade. Teachers tell us what we need, we source it and deliver. Also do surprise pizza parties and shit like that when a teacher lets us know it is something special going on.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ABSR said:

We lost our baby at 8 months pregnant a couple years ago.  Some family had the same thing happen to them years before.  They started a program where you can donate for a plate that they take footprints, handprints, weight, length, etc. and give to all of the families that are going through the same thing.  I recognized the niceness of the gesture, but my wife LOVES it.  So much that we keep it at the bank in the safety deposit box with her ashes.  Long story short, now we donate to that cause every year because it is a damn blessing to the grieving families.  It's things like a that which can restore people's faith in humanity.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

• 9 months later...