Two Billionaires Dragging Texas Hard Right, Trying to Destroy Public Education (Spent Millions on Huffines)

atomheartbevo

On 7/24/2022 at 7:59 PM, Jhawkmvp said:

When it comes to how others live their lives, a normal person is like is what they are doing affecting me? Are they hurting anyone? If not, then live and let live. The problem with highly religious people is they can't just leave others alone. They have to push their religions tenants onto everyone. Religion in politics is what is driving our country to the brink. Politics is compromise.  There is no compromise with true believers and now the Republican party has done the same to politics with the evangelical/fundamentalist infection.

This is also a huge part of the answer to the both sides argument. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

How many charter/private schools are there in the Wimberley area right now?!? The main HS has, what, 800 kids?

It's my understanding that the charter school does not have to be within the school district borders. It can be anywhere in the state. It can also be virtual. As long as it's non-profit and is approved by the district. It is being sold as a way to help inner-city kids that go to under performing schools be able to get a diploma from a better district. In reality the people proposing this are the type to give 2 shits about inner-city children.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/26/2022 at 11:33 AM, Mole said:

3. Teachers are awesome, but the system teaches things that are contrary to a healthy approach to education. Some of these problems would take a radical reordering of our society and values to fix.

Please tell me you mean structural issues and not CRT

27 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

It's my understanding that the charter school does not have to be within the school district borders. It can be anywhere in the state. It can also be virtual. As long as it's non-profit and is approved by the district. It is being sold as a way to help inner-city kids that go to under performing schools be able to get a diploma from a better district. In reality the people proposing this are the type to give 2 shits about inner-city children.  

Yeah. Because...Wimberley doesn't even fucking HAVE an "inner city" district. 

On 7/26/2022 at 8:03 AM, Js1 said:

Yes it will.  Because it's the fundamentalist parents are getting themselves elected to local school boards.  They'll home school their kids, while turning the public schools into de facto home school Christian-based curriculum, and still make sure their little precious fuck trophy will get to participate in the sports. 

This sums it up correctly. In a way, it is very similar to what happened in East Rampapo, New York if I recall. Except it was an Orthodox Jewish group who organized and got elected to the school board. Like many issues, it was and continues to be complicated, due to the various parties involved, but it's worth a read if you have five minutes:

https://forward.com/news/196685/is-hasidic-board-to-blame-for-gutting-public-schoo/

While plenty of fingers are pointing (spiderman.gif), the real tragedy is that children continue to grow and pass through these systems and the wheel keeps on turning on turning on turning. What a world.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yeah. Because...Wimberley doesn't even fucking HAVE an "inner city" district. 

What about the mean streets between the Ace Hardware and the new HEB sir?

• Rage+1 1

We are in a hot theocratic war to control the entire country.  We have been for a while.  My suggestion is that maybe the opposition oughta start fucking acting like it and fighting back just as hard -- fuck that, fight back HARDER.

This isn't some harmless bullshit.  It's an attempt to Talibanize America, and they're winning.

• Like 3
  • Rage+1 3

7 hours ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

My cousin doesn't believe in doctors so has had something like 12 kids at home.  ~4 of them died in childbirth or shortly after.  They were all "home schooled"w, and my understanding of their home schooling was they watched TV and went to WalMart with their mom while the dad was at work all day.  The oldest ran away from home when she was 18 to get away from the crazy.  The others are all still at home with mom.  And at this point I guess the youngest is probably 16.  I'd be shocked if any of them have better than a 3rd grade education.  CPS has been called on her multiple times by multiple family members, and every time CPS responds, the cousin just moves.   I think that home schooling can be great if it's done well.  The problem is that there is really no oversight to make sure it's done well.  

I do have another friend who is doing it right, and those kids are whip smart.  Plus she works with other home school parents to get the socialization part included and so I have no concerns at all about those kids.  But for every success story, there's my cousin as a counter.

06cb6771-2377-4b40-ab4f-837b4acbf760_tex

Edited by Biff Tannen

7 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

This sums it up correctly. In a way, it is very similar to what happened in East Rampapo, New York if I recall. Except it was an Orthodox Jewish group who organized and got elected to the school board. Like many issues, it was and continues to be complicated, due to the various parties involved, but it's worth a read if you have five minutes:

https://forward.com/news/196685/is-hasidic-board-to-blame-for-gutting-public-schoo/

While plenty of fingers are pointing (spiderman.gif), the real tragedy is that children continue to grow and pass through these systems and the wheel keeps on turning on turning on turning. What a world.

NPR This American Life: https://www.thisamericanlife.org/534/a-not-so-simple-majority 

Really good listen.  If this is so though, then the different religions will duke it out as well.  However, money always wins so....christian billionaire taliban it is.  Christian billionaire just sounds dirty--mainly because they are two conflicting words.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 7/26/2022 at 10:33 AM, Mole said:

We homeschool our kid because:

1. The homeschooled kids I teach in college are far better prepared due to attitudes about learning/education and skills in self-teaching. This is even when their content knowledge is inferior coming in. The homeschoolers that I see in college engage with the material in ways that public school students don’t and simply learn better.

2. I don’t trust my community to take my child’s education seriously. That’s kind of the crux of this thread. I get the desire to stand and fight, but I’m not willing to make my child fight that fight.

3. Teachers are awesome, but the system teaches things that are contrary to a healthy approach to education. Some of these problems would take a radical reordering of our society and values to fix.

4. We both love hanging out with our kid and learning together. It’s really fun and rewarding.

5. The earth is actually a concave bowl and we intend to teach our child the truth.

Regarding the data concerning homeschoolers, it’s seems like homeschooling correctly done can do at least as well or better than public schooling, but there’s a likely big sample bias in the test scores. I suspect that homeschoolers taking college entrance exams are self-selecting for higher achievement vs. public schoolers.

Well, and you're also fairly obviously smarter than the average bear.  I'd probably trust most of the posters on this board to do a decent job homeschooling their kids, not that they have the temperament for it.  

But a whole bunch of "average bears," stunted by bad-theology religious and other beliefs, scares the crap out of me.

Also, a question.  I assume that you, and others like you, strive to duplicate a pretty rigorous, IB type of high school education.  What do you do about higher math and science?  Do you bring in someone/something else if you struggled with trig or calculus, or chemistry, or physics?

6 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

We are in a hot theocratic war to control the entire country.  We have been for a while.  My suggestion is that maybe the opposition oughta start fucking acting like it and fighting back just as hard -- fuck that, fight back HARDER.

This isn't some harmless bullshit.  It's an attempt to Talibanize America, and they're winning.

Mobilize the Gary Johnson voters!

• Like 1

On 7/26/2022 at 9:14 AM, Hornius Emeritus said:

Samsung is getting ready to invest 200 billion --- BILLION ---- in the area around Taylor between now and 2034.  For comparison, Elon's gigafactory is estimated to have cost one billion dollars.

My read on this is that they wanted to lock in tax rebates (program goes away after this calendar year) so they asked for the most outrageous plans they could conceive of to get them secured. They will actually implement some fraction of it over the next 2 decades. 

Also, we home school our kids. One has a bit of the Asperger’s (not formally diagnosed) and we didn’t feel like public school was the best environment for him. At different times, both myself and my wife have been the primary guide. The expectation is that when they are 16 they enroll in some classes at ACC and have lots of hours under their belts by the time they are 18 and ready to move on to a university/trade school/whatever. 

3 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Also, a question.  I assume that you, and others like you, strive to duplicate a pretty rigorous, IB type of high school education.  What do you do about higher math and science?  Do you bring in someone/something else if you struggled with trig or calculus, or chemistry, or physics?

Our kid is young, so that’s a few years off. Our educational backgrounds are varied enough that we have pretty good coverage. The options may be wildly different if/when that time comes, but right now the plan is to put him in college courses once he’s ready.

The data for homeschooling is shaky, but there does seem to be a math gap — their reading/verbal scores are well above their peers but their math scores are average or even slightly behind their regularly-schooled peers. It’s something to keep an eye on, but not really a concern at his current level.

16 hours ago, Mole said:

Our kid is young, so that’s a few years off. Our educational backgrounds are varied enough that we have pretty good coverage. The options may be wildly different if/when that time comes, but right now the plan is to put him in college courses once he’s ready.

The data for homeschooling is shaky, but there does seem to be a math gap — their reading/verbal scores are well above their peers but their math scores are average or even slightly behind their regularly-schooled peers. It’s something to keep an eye on, but not really a concern at his current level.

Make sure they know their guzintas and they'll be fine in math.

• Haha 1

On 8/5/2022 at 7:35 AM, CooterBrown said:

Just got the AISD email that the district will be teaching abstinence to comply with state law in sex education. SMDH.

Yes... Yes, let's teach em all to not fuck... Let's undo 3000* or so years of genetic directives by teaching them a couple years' worth of the sex is shamefulness and damages your soul if you haven't had a guy wearing a robe tell you to get after it and start making lots of babies for the survival of the white race...

*Based on the literal translation of the great book...

On 7/27/2022 at 2:47 PM, Mrs Whiggins said:

A judge finally ruled against the school board in 2020 and the ruling was upheld on appeal. The board seats are no longer at-large. That translates to the Jewish community there is about to get a healthy dose of payback for intentionally messing over the minority students in the public schools. It was horrific what happened to the students in the public school system in East Ramapo.

On 7/27/2022 at 11:36 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

Also, we home school our kids. One has a bit of the Asperger’s (not formally diagnosed) 

Please don’t call it this anymore. There is a reason that using Dr. Asperger’s name has been removed as an official name for it. He was a horrible human being for what he did to those Austrian children. The book Asperger’s Children details everything really well.

• 2 months later...