The Final Countdown (1980)

rage-a-holic

2 hours ago, faps said:

Grew up with that movie. Feel like it was on TBS weekly. The scene with the Tomcats vs the Zero's over the old senator's yacht was awesome.

When the Zero gets absolutely skullfucked by a missile is the height of the movie.

12 hours ago, Hate said:

I can’t imagine a remake being any better. I loved that movie as a kid and I still love it now. It’s perfect.

The difference in military tech of 1980 vs 2020 is massive. That would be fun to explore.

And I never liked Kirk Douglas as the skipper, he was miscast.

12 hours ago, RPM said:

Splash the Zeroes!

I wish they'd do a series where the Nimitz is stuck back in that time. I wanted that in the movie. Seeing the Nimitz change history, bully the Axis, figure out refitting, and a carrier's vulnerability to subs could make for some interesting shit. I think the Nimitz of the movie is sort of the perfect technology for the story. The remote warfare of today wouldn't be as gripping.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I wish they'd do a series where the Nimitz is stuck back in that time. I wanted that in the movie. Seeing the Nimitz change history, bully the Axis, figure out refitting, and a carrier's vulnerability to subs could make for some interesting shit. I think the Nimitz of the movie is sort of the perfect technology for the story. The remote warfare of today wouldn't be as gripping.

How long could they really "bully" the Axis.  They would run out of jet fuel before they could really put a dent in Germany.  They could pretty quickly eliminate Japan's ability to make war, but could a 70's era carrier in the Pacific do much to Germany after eliminating Japan? 

13 hours ago, Hate said:

I can’t imagine a remake being any better. I loved that movie as a kid and I still love it now. It’s perfect.

It really is perfect.  Well-edited, well-cast.  Amazing that it was made when it was, given that sci-if/alt-history stuff wasn’t big then.

1 hour ago, Hate said:

How long could they really "bully" the Axis.  They would run out of jet fuel before they could really put a dent in Germany.  They could pretty quickly eliminate Japan's ability to make war, but could a 70's era carrier in the Pacific do much to Germany after eliminating Japan? 

I didn't say I wanted to write the screenplay. Jets were being developed, maybe fuel could be made. Even if not, you have a massive aircraft carrier platform that doesn't need to refuel. Advanced electronics. The German air force would be easily trackable.

Or, I guess, nobody in the 1940s had enough imagination to come up with an effective way employ a Nimitz class aircraft carrier. Nevermind. It be like an advanced killer android from the future coming to our times to hunt people down. I mean, it just shoots a gun and is armored. Big deal. Who'd watch?

8 hours ago, Hate said:

I may be misremembering my history, but I believe the Axis was more than Germany.  The members of the Axis powers were Germany, Italy and Japan.

those guys knew WW2 inside out. their intelligence would be worth as much as a modern day aircraft carrier. they knew every military r&d successful move for the past 40 years. and 40 years of russian history 

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 2

I didn't say I wanted to write the screenplay. Jets were being developed, maybe fuel could be made. Even if not, you have a massive aircraft carrier platform that doesn't need to refuel. Advanced electronics. The German air force would be easily trackable.
Or, I guess, nobody in the 1940s had enough imagination to come up with an effective way employ a Nimitz class aircraft carrier. Nevermind. It be like an advanced killer android from the future coming to our times to hunt people down. I mean, it just shoots a gun and is armored. Big deal. Who'd watch?

I’m with you. They could completely ignore the logistics of refueling and reloading and I’d watch. Loved this movie as a kid, saw it in the theater with my dad.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, huge said:

I’ve never seen this movie.

That needs to change.

Confused Gary Coleman GIF

3 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

I’m with you. They could completely ignore the logistics of refueling and reloading and I’d watch. Loved this movie as a kid, saw it in the theater with my dad.

yes, great father / son movie. add firefox to that list, movies from the 80's

• Like 3

On 7/26/2022 at 12:55 AM, tx 3 putt said:

those guys knew WW2 inside out. their intelligence would be worth as much as a modern day aircraft carrier. they knew every military r&d successful move for the past 40 years. and 40 years of russian history 

The F-14 is still the sexiest of all aircraft.  Just a beautiful machine.

On 7/26/2022 at 10:26 PM, Buzzrock said:

They wouldn’t have had any problem whatsoever making jet fuel in 1942. It’s just kerosene. 

Edited by J.R.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 7/25/2022 at 1:37 PM, Hate said:

Kerosene existed in the 1940s. 

• Hook 'Em 1