Battlebots Champions 2022

Prepuce of Doom

This may be the thing I saw at re:MARS a month ago! At least the trophy was also a giant bolt for that too. Tbh I kinda hope it isn't because the crowd was pretty weak lol. Good reactions to big hits, but there was no "FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT" chant during the countdown

Edited by Captainant

It starts Thursday.  My DVR is set and I'm looking forward to some new robot fighting times.

I just re-read that description and it's not clear if the final episode is a championship tournament bracket or a multi-bot free for all.  My mind boggles at the thought of 8 bots in the arena at once going ham.

1 hour ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

I sure hope you didn't just spoil the outcome of this tournament. 

Definitely not - the thing I saw was just 8 bots and it was a silver bolt trophy. Everyone was running some new hardware, it all felt very preseason with everyone trying new stuff. Whiplash had a bad mod with some low clearance "toes" that stuck him to the floor

Edited by Captainant
  • Hook 'Em 1

I dont pay that much attention to the shows until I happen to see them playing.  

I was really surprised at how surprised the announcing team were that Deep 6  was able to take out Huge.     

That was a total matchup nightmare for Huge. with both being tall vertical spinners, the one with the largest diameter weapon should win. 

as soon as I saw how big Deep6 was and how tall its spinner was, I assumed Huge had no fucking chance because no matter what, with the way Huge sits with that high center of gravity I instantly recognized that anytime Deep6 got close it was absolutely going to get full contact with either Huge's center bar or wheels, both of which are pretty vulnerable. The only way Huge could have won was if it somehow was able to cross the T and flanked D6. 

After that the next Deep6 opponent was a fucking idiot. their driver literally kept throwing their arm into D6's weapon,  trying to break it I guess, but it was a terrible strategy. they basically took themselves out. 

Lockjaw got its wheels fucked up in like 10 seconds and never recovered. 

Why do they keep allowing Double Jeopardy to participate? I'm curious about the rules for projectiles - seems like something that could quickly get out of hand if a bunch of teams all went in that direction together. Could even fuck up the arena and endanger spectators. 

I was impressed with how much damage Deep Six was doling out. I felt like Ribbot's driver was being too timid and should have lost just for being a wimp if it had gone to the judges. 

Wasn't impressed with the sportsmanship of the Shatter team after their loss - talked all kinds of shit after beating up the weakling in Pain Train (who lasted the whole three minutes, which should have disqualified Shatter from the right to brag about anything), but then acted all indignant and aggrieved at getting counted out. 

I haven't seen any of the others coming up later, but next week's card looks like the Group of Death. 

Projectile weapons are allowed, as long as they do not create an arena-fouling problem. 
Projectile weapons must not use explosives. Springs, catapults and gas-pressure powered 
guns may be acceptable. You may be required to show that your projectile weapon will not 
damage the Lexan exterior of the arena

page 7:

https://battlebots.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/BattleBots-Design-Rules-Rev.2020.0.pdf

• Hook 'Em 1

They seemed to get things sorted in their last fight of the night.  At least with getting stuck on the floor.

Not sure why teams try to configure bots with forks.  Forks rarely serve any purpose except to get stuck on the arena and give their opponent an easy piece to damage.

5 hours ago, bernorange said:

Lots of judges decisions and I think they got them all correct.

Putting it another way, in your view, a judge was frequently incorrect. (edit - disregard this, as I thought you were talking about split decisions, not judges decisions). 

I can't remember which match it was but I was astonished that one of the first split decisions wasn't unanimous. Whatever the final outcome was, I agreed with the winner, but it made me question the judgment of whichever judge saw it differently. 

But most of the other split decisions seemed to be reasonable to me, and I agreed with all outcomes. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom

Everyone in our household had their worst night picking so far in this tournament - we all went 4-4, with unanimous losses on Lucky, Kraken, and Bloodsport in the final. 

I don't really like that Skorpios was rewarded for employing a strategy that was essentially "prevent the fight from occurring," but I get the strategic basis on their part, and I don't necessarily disagree with the judges' result, though I think it could have just as easily gone to Bloodsport by the same 1 point margin. 

That bit with Kraken after the match sure was unexpected. 

Finally watched last night.  So many cripple fights.  It was quite the display of ineptitude.  

Blade actually went one match without breaking and looked like it might have improved.  Then they had their second match and shit the bed in true Blade style.

Bloodsport was clearly the most worthy challenger in the bracket, but they were never able to land a good hit on Skorpios.  Skorpios armor plating is legit.  Very durable bot.

IDK if Skorpios "beat" Bloodsport, or if BS was just beat to hell and back. They mentioned during the talking head bit before the fight that they were running out of spares for the final. Id bet if Skorpios had to run that gauntlet we'd see a similar soft victory for BS. 

Either way, bit of a low key bracket this week, I'm excited to see who will round out the tournament bracket

Watched late last night.  Whiplash didn't use their vertical spinner weapon on the lifter arm in any fight.  It's the only 'control bot' that ever actually wins its matches.

Black Dragon managed not to go Fahrenheit 451 on itself for once and looked good until it's last fight.

Bracket winner was losing the match until a skilled/lucky hit at the end of the match flipped the tables.

Not a lot of destruction last night.  Lot's of boring matches going to judges decisions that were obvious.

Haven't watched yet - it's recorded on the DVR.  

Team Ribbot has been so good/smart with reconfiguring Ribbot to attack their opponent.  I'm looking forward to see how they strategize for Endgame.

Tombstone use to be the bot everybody feared but hasn't lived up to it's reputation in several years.  It's easy to overlook.

Glitch limped in to this bracket with a lot of luck, but if they have fixed the issues they had in the previous round, they could be a surprise winner.  They haven't lost a Battlebots match yet (ever).

This finale looks like its loaded with good fights.  Should be fun to watch.