RIP Choco Taco

Sbbruin

I loved the choco taco growing up.  This is a travesty.

Fans of Klondike's Choco Taco are saying goodbye to the beloved ice cream truck mainstay.

The dessert giant discontinued the iconic chocolatey treat that's been sold for almost four decades, PEOPLE confirms. 

According to a rep for Klondike, which is owned by Unilever, the Choco Taco was entirely discontinued in July due to an unprecedented spike in demand for different Klondike products over the past two years. 

The taco-shaped frozen treat consisted of light vanilla ice cream encased in a waffle cone, partially covered with milk chocolate and topped with peanuts. 

According to NPR, Alan Drazen had the idea for the Choco Taco in 1983.

The frozen dessert was even sold at Taco Bell for a period of time. In February, Taco Bell partnered with Klondike, bringing the Choco Taco back to 20 Taco Bell locations for a limited time as part of Klondike's 100-year anniversary.

spacer.png

Lulz.  My wife texted me this link today. 

Once she was mouthing off about Choco Tacos.  She thought they looked terrible.  I told her I'd pay her a solid $20 bill (no two $5s and a $10 BS) straight up if she'd eat three of them.  She claimed "game on!"  I bought the stuff and she gobbled down the first two and then tried to negotiate her way out of the bet on the third.  I held her to the bet and she struggled getting the third down but pulled it off then promptly barfed.

A few years later she claimed she was craving Whataburger and asked if I'd go get it for Saturday lunch.  I wasn't in the mood but she pressed.  Finally I told her I'd go get it if she plowed through a double What with cheese all the way with japs, super-sized fries and a large choco shake.  She said she would for a solid $100 bill.

Game on again.

I brought the stuff home and off she went.  She's not a big girl so she got about 60% done and started to negotiate a settlement.  I told her "hell no!" finish it all for the hunsky.  She got done and I reminded her of the lettuce, jap and onion scraps and a few small fry tidbits that needed clean up.  She finished it all, I shelled out the $100 bill and she went and barfed again.

She crazy.

• Hook 'Em 2

Once she was mouthing off about Choco Tacos.  She thought they looked terrible.  I told her I'd pay her a solid $20 bill (no two $5s and a $10 BS) straight up if she'd eat three of them.  She claimed "game on!"  I bought the stuff and she gobbled down the first two and then tried to negotiate her way out of the bet on the third.  I held her to the bet and she struggled getting the third down but pulled it off then promptly barfed.
A few years later she claimed she was craving Whataburger and asked if I'd go get it for Saturday lunch.  I wasn't in the mood but she pressed.  Finally I told her I'd go get it if she plowed through a double What with cheese all the way with japs, super-sized fries and a large choco shake.  She said she would for a solid $100 bill.
Game on again.
I brought the stuff home and off she went.  She's not a big girl so she got about 60% done and started to negotiate a settlement.  I told her "hell no!" finish it all for the hunsky.  She got done and I reminded her of the lettuce, jap and onion scraps and a few small fry tidbits that needed clean up.  She finished it all, I shelled out the $100 bill and she went and barfed again.
She crazy.

Cool Bulimia Story Brah
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

the Choco Taco was entirely discontinued in July due to an unprecedented spike in demand for different Klondike products over the past two years. 

So, Klondike wanted to juice the sales of Choco Taco's, so they announce that the product is being canceled.

After a month or so, due to "unprecedented" sales and public sentiment, it will be brought back.

• Hook 'Em 1

I’ll just put this here: My favorite ice cream treat growing up was Eskimo Pies. Haven’t seen them in Houston in years but got them other places. I think Blue Bell keeps them out of the market. Anyway, it’s been rebranded as Edy’s Pie and the formula has changed.  Another chapter of my childhood lost to the whim of some dude in marketing.  

SMH. 

33 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:

I’ll just put this here: My favorite ice cream treat growing up was Eskimo Pies. Haven’t seen them in Houston in years but got them other places. I think Blue Bell keeps them out of the market. Anyway, it’s been rebranded as Edy’s Pie and the formula has changed.  Another chapter of my childhood lost to the whim of some dude in marketing.  

SMH. 

https://www.eskimohut.com/

3 hours ago, deadshank said:

Game on again.

She crazy.

Tell me about it; you wouldn’t believe what she did when I gave her $101….

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CycleTex87 said:

I’ll just put this here: My favorite ice cream treat growing up was Eskimo Pies. Haven’t seen them in Houston in years but got them other places.

I'm sure they don't meet your discerning chocolate covered ice cream standards, but these are delicious.  Don't puss out with the milk chocolate version:

image.png.29cd6e1ff622592caf1839f4252e7d42.png

3 hours ago, Deej said:

We need a new thread dedicated to what deadshanks's wife will do for money. 

You haven’t been paying attention. But you mock someone with interest in a topic so you’re probably not the most attentive person to begin with.

First, I never heard of the Choco Taco until today. (A coupe local sports radio jocks were talking about it.) Second, this is a discontinued product, not one that a particular grocer just stopped carrying. Third, I pointed out that I stopped updating my list when the pandemic hit.

Again, those who think they’re mocking me, I think are embarrassing themselves. I’m Teflon here. I’ve considered that maybe I should start a new list of posters who mock lists so that when football season rolls around I’ll know not to heed their takes on the game. These aren’t thoughtful people. I have to restrain myself from making more sweeping generalizations about the surly population at large because those might not go over so well. But it does makes me wonder. For all the things to poke fun at, I never would e expected that writing things down like notes, lists, observations, reviews, metrics, etc. would be a target of supposedly educated people. It’s a head scratcher.

Back to those local sports radio jocks. They began the segment by taking credit for the return of the McDonalds bagel sandwich. Apparently that was discontinued during the pandemic. They said they called McDonalds corporate HQ to plea for its return. I honestly didn’t know McDonalds had a bagel sandwich, and I doubt whether these yutzes had anything to do with its return. But they did say their next goal is to get the Choco Taco back. So, if it does return to the shelves, I suppose we have to at least consider the possibility that they played a small role however insignificant. 

3 hours ago, deadshank said:

Game on again.

She crazy.

Animated GIF

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

So, Klondike wanted to juice the sales of Choco Taco's, so they announce that the product is being canceled.

After a month or so, due to "unprecedented" sales and public sentiment, it will be brought back.

Good Mythical Morning Agree GIF by Rhett and Link

On 7/26/2022 at 6:24 PM, deadshank said:

Game on again.

She crazy.

Waiting to hear the $500 big bucket o' squid story.