Black Bird - Miniseries on Apple+

Buzzrock

Breaking this out from the Apple+ thread because it’s fantastic and more people need to watch it. True story of a 90s serial killer with a great premise.

Ray Liotta is great in his final role (I think?) and Paul Walter Hauser better get an Emmy. Shades of True Detective meets Mindhunters. Four episodes are out with two more to go. Easily the best TV drama of the year so far for me.

Fun fact: PWH has a rap EP out under the name Signet Ringer. It’s not bad!

• Hook 'Em 5

3 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Episode 5 does the best job in celebrating the victim’s life that I’ve seen on film. I love true crime, but it can be a bit exploitive to the victims and their families. 

Yep.  That was a rough scene.  Seeing the hard-ass, main character trying to hold it together and pretend like Larry's story was awesome, was pretty powerful.

• Hook 'Em 4

19 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

Very well done. The cinematography is outstanding. The original soundtrack music (Mogwai) fits perfectly. One episode left. 

I didn't know this was Mogwai.  I watched a series a few years ago called Les Revenants.  Mogwai's soundtrack was absolutely perfect for the creepiness of the show.

On 8/1/2022 at 10:41 AM, Neonmoon said:

This show is outstanding. Every part of it. Hauser deserves every award for acting available. Taron doesn't suck either. 

He really is incredible. The way he sometimes doesn’t seem to really be there, and then comes back. 

When the show is over I’ll link some stuff I read about him and the production of the show. Could be spoilery to do it sooner. 

11 hours ago, Duval Street said:

Friday, and not soon enough either since Mr. Parker done spilt the beans to the inmates about Jimmy.

The most recent episode dropped on Thursday FYI. 

• Hook 'Em 1

What a series. PWH should have a fantastic career ahead of him, and everyone else was great too. Nice to see Bunny again.

He’s actually really funny. This is a good interview of him with Rich Eisen. Him talking about heckling James Vanderbeek at a celebrity game was hilarious.

Finished this last night. Incredible series and PWH should definitely get nominated for that performance. I kept thinking Taron seemed out of place in time. The body style he built, the hair and even mannerisms seemed like they belonged in the 50’s or something. A good acting job, I just couldn’t get it out of my head that he seemed to be from the past or something. 

He pulls his pants up to his armpits for some reason too. 

25 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

What a series. PWH should have a fantastic career ahead of him, and everyone else was great too. Nice to see Bunny again.

He’s actually really funny. This is a good interview of him with Rich Eisen. Him talking about heckling James Vanderbeek at a celebrity game was hilarious.

His WTF interview a couple years ago was great. Unique dude. 

When Hauser goes dark. My goodness, what a terrific actor. Great show that leaves you wanting more. 

Liotta’s role was very bittersweet. I’m glad he got one more piece of excellent work in. 

I know it’s not for everybody, but if you’re a Hauser fan check out Cruella. He steal every scene and smokes a very good actress in Emma Stone. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/30/2022 at 10:43 AM, billfromlaketravis said:

Episode 5 does the best job in celebrating the victim’s life that I’ve seen on film. I love true crime, but it can be a bit exploitive to the victims and their families. 

We finally finished last night. My wife fell asleep about 1/3 of the way into Episode 5 the other night so we rewatched the final 35-40 mins of that episode and then the finale. Episode 5 is the best of the series. The flashbacks to the victim's life was so well done, as you said. It reminded me of the very end of Road to Perdition -- the music was uplifting and the girl's recollection of a life (albeit shortened tragically) well lived was very poignant. Then it was juxtaposed with Larry's retelling of the murders to Jimmy ... just chilling.

The final episode was a bit of a letdown but I think that was more because the fifth episode was so powerful. Anyway, this was a great series and Hauser was phenomenal.

• Like 1