4-Day School Weeks in Texas Panhandle

Nicole44

https://abc7amarillo.com/news/local/4-day-school-weeks-becoming-a-trend-in-texas-panhandle-channing-follett-mclean-silverton-spring-creek

As a student, I would have loved this. the districts that are already doing this and the ones considering it cite attracting and retaining employees and cost-savings. 

“"Because school calendar considerations are largely local in nature, that is not a dataset tracked at the statewide level," said Melisa Holmes with the TEA. "As long as a district meets the threshold of 75,600 in-person operational minutes for the school year, they have the flexibility to institute a four-day week."

——————

I doubt the larger districts will follow this “trend” but thought it was worth bringing up. My apologies if already has been discussed. If so, kindly delete. 

I think there around 1600 districts nationwide doing this already. I was worried about food insecurity and slower learning, etc…

https://www.edweek.org/leadership/4-day-school-weeks-new-research-examines-the-benefits-and-drawbacks/2021/10

The studies don’t suggest as many drawbacks as I would have thought. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, bluto said:

It’s starting to catch on in NE Tx too

I think it most definitely makes sense for the smaller districts. I wonder how this works for the student athletes but the study I posted above said that it works quite well for them. 

20 minutes ago, ztejas said:

So do they just extend the calendar a bit into the breaks? Sounds good to me.

Some do. Or they just go 50 minutes more per day during the four day week. I would have loved this as I mentioned. My parents would have bc we could have done more vacations stuff using a four day weekend. My dad’s work schedule would only really allow for those two vacations a year type thing so it would have been cool to have those four day weekends. My mom wouldn’t fly so we drove everywhere. Lol. 

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Some do. Or they just go 50 minutes more per day during the four day week. I would have loved this as I mentioned. My parents would have bc we could have done more vacations stuff using a four day weekend. My dad’s work schedule would only really allow for those two vacations a year type thing so it would have been cool to have those four day weekends.

It makes more sense for a bunch of reasons. The whole summer break thing is anachronistic. Although I think you mean three day weekends. 

Maybe the panhandle does something right for once. iirc you were a Sandy? 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, ztejas said:

It makes more sense for a bunch of reasons. The whole summer break thing is anachronistic. Although I think you mean three day weekends. 

Maybe the panhandle does something right for once. iirc you were a Sandy? 

Yep. A Sandie. And I did mean 3 day weekend just too lazy to edit my post again. 

4 day school weeks make a lot of sense to me.  Hell some of these kids have a 45 minute to hour bus ride each day.  Couple that with the time it takes to get ready. It is a complete wash if they are saying the extra 50 minutes is too much.  I just started working a 40-10 schedule and I wouldn't trade that.

• Hook 'Em 1

I loved when I had four 10 hour shifts in the past. I partied like it was 1999 that first day off almost every time. But this isnt about an adult schedule.

I am almost never the voice of reason on these kind of threads, but there is a SIGNIFICANT subset of any small town where the parents in the lowest economic tier are struggling to find work, and they can only work part time on the days their kids are at school.

So while I totally get the pros of this move, there are significant cons.     the most obvious not mentioned, are unless ALL the school district employees are on salary -thats almost never the case, (many of the secretaries and bus drivers and maybe janitors are all probably hourly) so those folks just took a pay cut.   and as mentioned, the lower income parents of the kids are going to struggle to find part time jobs that their shift ends right around the time school lets out.     and if the Deadshank example above happens,  having the 5th day off be in the middle of the week could mean an even more complicated split shit.

• Hook 'Em 4

17 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

This is increasingly common where I live just outside Houston. Seems like at least one new district is going to it every year now.

I'm for it generally. However, everyone is so used to the existing system and schedule that adaptation needs to occur for this to work. For example, hobbies and activities for kids can now be offered on the day off. This could help alleviate the childcare issues, and the school buses could be integrated into the system to assist with transportation and still provide income for the drivers. This also could improve the other days of the week for kids and parents by reducing the burden of fitting in everyone's activities, homework, dinner, and family time every night. But, like I said, the system has to adapt and the culture around 5 days of school will take time to change.

• Hook 'Em 2

It would mainly be the bus drivers I think taking a pay cut if I read this correctly as pretty much the other employees would still be doing 75,600 hours? I get the facilities cost being lower. What surprised me the most was the in the study they said it most benefited the student athletes. I guess if you’re rural and live on a ranch/farm you’ll be expected as a kid to do more chores which might suck. 

5 minutes ago, texashorne said:

This is done purely out of budget reasons to entice teachers to accept lower pay to work less. Any other reason cited is pure bullshit. Districts are looking to slash expenses by 20%. Period.  

That’s not happening. One of the best paying districts in this area has been doing 4 day weeks for many years now. It is done primarily for budget reasons, sure, but no one is cutting teachers salaries.

• Hook 'Em 2

Bus drivers, janitors, lunch service employees, and other hourly support staff would take a huge pay cut. Those are already difficult positions to fill.

Districts do this to save money. Run the AC one less day, pay all the hourly support staff less. 

2 hours ago, deadshank said:

Some will complain that they just lost one day of child care.  

Most corporate work should drop to a 4 day work week too and then encourage time spent with your family on Friday.  Would be wonderous to prevent burnout and encourage work/life balance. 

But who tf am I kidding, there's profits to be made and workers to be exploited! 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

Most corporate work should drop to a 4 day work week too and then encourage time spent with your family on Friday.  Would be wonderous to prevent burnout and encourage work/life balance. 
But who tf am I kidding, there's profits to be made and workers to be exploited! 

You are goddamn right. 5 day work week is some bullshit. I just switched from a 9/80 to a 5 day work week. Damn mistake. Just kill me.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I was on the 4 day school week over 30 years ago... until they figured out my mother was NOT the one writing my doctor's notes.

Gawd I hated school once football season was over.

5 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Greece tried this. Worked out great. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

You are goddamn right. 5 day work week is some bullshit. I just switched from a 9/80 to a 5 day work week. Damn mistake. Just kill me.

4/34.5-37 work weeks are what is sorely needed.  5/40 is out of date. 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, slorch said:

I hope all you fuckers bitching about your 3-day weekends never go shopping or out to eat on your time off.

Hypocrites...

Eat a dick and lick some boots 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I think it's funny that some of you think business/companies will adjust.  It took the pandemic ro really reset corporate thinking on remote work and yet some of those companies are chomping at the bit to get employees back into their buildings.   Corporate mortgages and rent don't make sense if there's no one in the building.  

Corporate America is such a sloth like behemoth when it comes to doing something new.

5 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

I think it's funny that some of you think business/companies will adjust.  It took the pandemic ro really reset corporate thinking on remote work and yet some of those companies are chomping at the bit to get employees back into their buildings.   Corporate mortgages and rent don't make sense if there's no one in the building.  

Corporate America is such a sloth like behemoth when it comes to doing something new.

Will they? Unlikely  

Should they? Yes. 

1 hour ago, Macanudo said:

It's the managers that feel like their position is threatened.  How are they getting shit done when there isn't a manager telling them what to do.  On the flip side I blame some of the workers.  Nothing grinds my gear more than me sending an email and I get an auto reply "Working from home so email responses will be delayed.".  Don't snitch on yourself.  We had a conference call with some big wigs and some people said I enjoy taking my dog to the dog park during the day and another said I enjoy my midday naps.  We all do.  Don't tell them though.

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

It's the managers that feel like their position is threatened.  How are they getting shit done when there isn't a manager telling them what to do.  On the flip side I blame some of the workers.  Nothing grinds my gear more than me sending an email and I get an auto reply "Working from home so email responses will be delayed.".  Don't snitch on yourself.  We had a conference call with some big wigs and some people said I enjoy taking my dog to the dog park during the day and another said I enjoy my midday naps.  We all do.  Don't tell them though.

Fucking idiots.  What suck-up narcs on themselves?  Do I walk my dog, take a nap or go to the gym during a workday?  Of course, but like I'd tell my boss.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

My entire career has been based on figuring out how little I can work and still live well.  3 days a week for the most part.  There’s lots of things I like about my job but how little I do it is always #1.   

Living my life. I could probably go make $50K+ more tomorrow but I only work about 10 hours a week now. I’m online 40 hours a week but my job is so low impact, it’s comical. I went from 50 employees to zero when I moved into a strategic advisor role where I just sit in on meetings and give advice. I don’t really have day-to-day responsibilities. Just gotta keep my head down and ride out the next 10 years to retirement. I have a Liberty Mouse Mover to keep me green on Teams all day. I’m posting from the couch where I’ve been for the last hour.
  • Hook 'Em 3

45 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Living my life. I could probably go make $50K+ more tomorrow but I only work about 10 hours a week now. I’m online 40 hours a week but my job is so low impact, it’s comical. I went from 50 employees to zero when I moved into a strategic advisor role where I just sit in on meetings and give advice. I don’t really have day-to-day responsibilities. Just gotta keep my head down and ride out the next 10 years to retirement. I have a Liberty Mouse Mover to keep me green on Teams all day. I’m posting from the couch where I’ve been for the last hour.

Haha.  I do projects.  I used to knock out projects super fast.  Then I realized what fucking good does that do for me so now I finish projects and just slowly turn them in.  And everyone is like man you're making good progress.  The rest of the time I'm chasing the Amazon security robot around.

On 7/27/2022 at 9:04 AM, Patricio Swayze said:

I also agree. Isn’t England trying something like that? I am looking to at least get back to a 4-10 schedule. Fuck working Fridays.

I worked four 10s for a few years till covid stopped it. After going back to a regular schedule, my health increased dramatically. I slept better, felt like shit a lot less. I'll never go back to that schedule. I miss fridays off but we WFH every other week, so it's all good.

14 minutes ago, Sandman said:

I worked four 10s for a few years till covid stopped it. After going back to a regular schedule, my health increased dramatically. I slept better, felt like shit a lot less. I'll never go back to that schedule. I miss fridays off but we WFH every other week, so it's all good.

I think for me it's not the forced overtime.  I missed out on so many random events because I would get scheduled OT at the last minute.  Now when my boss says hey you feel like working OT?  I just say nah.  I'm good.

My kids are going to this this upcoming year.  I'm all for it.  Supposedly there are studies showing it being better for the student.  Most of our school polices are pretty much built on what is convenient for the parents rather than what is actually better for learning.  The parents against it didn't really have a good argument other than it's not fair that teachers get a 4 day week and I don't.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/27/2022 at 8:42 AM, slorch said:

I was on the 4 day school week over 30 years ago... until they figured out my mother was NOT the one writing my doctor's notes.

Gawd I hated school once football season was over.

This could explain a lot.

I can't believe none of you sorry sons of bitches didn't hit this one that's been teed up since...yesterday morning.  A bunch of slack mothers around here.

• Haha 1

I can see that reasoning. Although, my whole life, I have operated on less sleep than what is normal. I am sure it will catch up with me. But 6 usually does me just fine.

WFH is only part of it. That Friday off, not WFH, was awesome. Every Friday I would take a road trip to do photography. That kind of therapy is priceless to me.

1 hour ago, Chad Fuck said:

This could explain a lot.

I can't believe none of you sorry sons of bitches didn't hit this one that's been teed up since...yesterday morning.  A bunch of slack mothers around here.

Skipping days of high school didn’t do jack shit brother.There was  So much fucking wasted time it’s not even funny.

Edited by slorch