The odd disappearance of Jason Landry, TxSt student

crash_davis

I didn't know anything about this until I saw it on the KXAN website. 

TLDR:

o He was first reported missing around December 2020 when his wrecked abandoned car was found outside of Luling. He was on his way from San Marcos to Missouri City. Foul play was not suspected but the whole thing seems odd as shit.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/cell-phone-data-tracks-missing-texas-state-student-jason-landrys-route-before-his-disappearance/

o Authorities think they found him in NYC. Someone who may be him was found unconscious in a park in the Bronx on July 22.

https://www.kxan.com/news/texas/detectives-work-to-see-if-unconscious-new-york-man-is-missing-texan-jason-landry/

"NYPD reported the person was found unconscious and unresponsive “in the streets with no apparent injuries.” They didn’t have an ID."

WHAT THE FUCK? If it's him, that's one hell of a bender. How does one go from a wreck around midnight on Dec 22, 2020 in Luling, TX to being found unconscious in a park in the Bronx, NY a year an half later? Was he on a vision quest? Abducted and forced into sex slavery? Abducted by aliens? He the fuck did he get to NYC? What did he use for money? 

Wasn't their a similar disappearance maybe a year earlier? Car found abandoned around Columbus or something, no sign of kid? Or maybe it's the same kid and I'm remembering it wrong. Seems like the one I'm thinking of the car wasn't wrecked, and was found around Columbus or maybe Sealy.  

13 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

WHAT THE FUCK? If it's him, that's one hell of a bender. How does one go from a wreck around midnight on Dec 22, 2020 in Luling, TX to being found unconscious in a park in the Bronx, NY a year an half later?

Tell me you’ve never seriously partied, without telling me you’ve never seriously partied.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Drool 1

I doubt that's him in NYC.  I bet he was drunk/high/shaken up from the crash, wandered off and died of exposure/dehydration.  That's more common than people realize.

For example, a serial killer was discovered in Long Island because a stoned call girl ran away from a john into a marsh, got lost and exhausted, and died. In the search, they found her, plus a bunch more random bodies from an unrelated serial killer by happenstance.  

I also saw an episode of Disappeared once where a chick had a psychotic break after a bout of drinking and she wandered from door to door in a neighborhood, got lost in a greenbelt, and then died of dehydration/exposure.  Shit's fucked up.  

Edited by bschoolprof

17 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

There's a really good interview with Jason's father on a YouTube channel called LordanARTS. It's about an hour long but worth it. They talk about the strange circumstances around the case and address theories.

Okay I lied. It's an hour and 40 minutes long. Just set it to 1.25x playback speed lol

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

I doubt that's him in NYC.  I bet he was drunk/high/shaken up from the crash, wandered off and died of exposure/dehydration.  That's more common than people realize.

For example, a serial killer was discovered in Long Island because a stoned call girl ran away from a john into a marsh, got lost and exhausted, and died. In the search, they found her, plus a bunch more random bodies from an unrelated serial killer by happenstance.  

I also saw an episode of Disappeared once where a chick had a psychotic break after a bout of drinking and she wandered from door to door in a neighborhood, got lost in a greenbelt, and then died of dehydration/exposure.  Shit's fucked up.  

Remember that chick that died in the air ducts of the W? 

8 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

Hell it happened here in Austin a few years ago - a couple had a flat on 360, the female went for help, got lost and they found her dead in the woods a couple miles away near an office complex.

12 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Hell it happened here in Austin a few years ago - a couple had a flat on 360, the female went for help, got lost and they found her dead in the woods a couple miles away near an office complex.

Defeated.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

She got lost walking on 360? God some people are stupid. 

31 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

I remember that search. It was near Pennyback Bridge. Fucking bonkers story. It was really hot outside (duh). She had a flat. Walked up to office complex to try and use the phone. Office she checked was closed. She was like, I’m going to just walk back to my car, instead of coming the way I came, I will take a short cut through the woods. Woods did not lead back to her car. She was found dead in the woods. 

I remember that search. It was near Pennyback Bridge. Fucking bonkers story. It was really hot outside (duh). She had a flat. Walked up to office complex to try and use the phone. Office she checked was closed. She was like, I’m going to just walk back to my car, instead of coming the way I came, I will take a short cut through the woods. Woods did not lead back to her car. She was found dead in the woods. 

Dehydration doesn’t lead to clear thinking.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Yeah- I had forgotten about that. Crazy. 

10 hours ago, crash_davis said:

On Flatties suggestion, I visited texaggy. I now feel dirty. The things I do for this community.

Here's the thread and pics.

https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/3179769/replies/62568322

Left is the pic of the person found in NYC. Right is a pic of Jason.

92374a08e5cee92a470e936404d4f22a608b7dbd_110517_u202283.jpg

9 hours ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

CBS Austin just reported that it isn't him

Well no shit did they think he disappeared, ran off to be homeless in NYC, and got a fucking nose job?

8 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

My kids went to high school with him, his parents live in the hood still. Crazy case all around and no real clues have been found to date that I am aware of even with multiple EquuSearch searches. By all accounts he was your run of the mill suburban kid with no standout issues.

A coworker is close to the family. They had their hopes up when they found the now identified man in the Bronx. I feel terrible for them. 

My best guess: Jason was communicating with someone on Snapchat. He was given a remote address or pin and his navigation freaked out. He gets lost on some back road; gets in an accident and suffers some kind of head trauma. Not thinking clearly, he thinks his car is totaled and walks to look for help. He loses consciousness along the way and passes away due to exposure. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

She got lost walking on 360? God some people most women are stupid. 

I'll wager a shiny nickel this woman got lost driving around her neighborhood multiple times and called someone for help.

My girlfriend walked to OXXO last week (300 feet away) and got lost on the way back. The yellow line is where she went after leaving OXXO.

image.png.5bfe25f7331d63ac5133f9b9978cb4a9.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

I'll wager a shiny nickel this woman got lost driving around her neighborhood multiple times and called someone for help.

My girlfriend walked to OXXO last week (300 feet away) and got lost on the way back. The yellow line is where she went after leaving OXXO.

Did she die of exposure?

10 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

A coworker is close to the family. They had their hopes up when they found the now identified man in the Bronx. I feel terrible for them. 

My best guess: Jason was communicating with someone on Snapchat. He was given a remote address or pin and his navigation freaked out. He gets lost on some back road; gets in an accident and suffers some kind of head trauma. Not thinking clearly, he thinks his car is totaled and walks to look for help. He loses consciousness along the way and passes away due to exposure. 

Did Texas Equusearch ever do anything for this? 

Speaking of families I hurt for…still no real good leads on Rachel Cooke and it’s been 20 fucking years. Damn. Though I think she was kidnapped and murdered. So sad…

https://www.kvue.com/amp/article/news/local/rachel-cooke-disapperance-20-years-later-texas/269-b8e09e50-0018-4d6b-aa0b-81949896cc90

44869958-F512-4B81-9561-5C2FE4FB0EEC.jpeg

For this guy, the most obvious outcomes are what most likely occurred

• In driving to Mo City, he stopped for gas and had some interaction with someone who killed him for $50 (or whatever he had) in cash and his car.
    • The car would ultimately be abandoned because even stupid criminals know it ties them to his disappearance.
  • He wanted to escape. It's not against the law for an adult to move on. Whether its mental illness or just wanting a new life. See Chris McCandless.

Sucks for the family but it's also hard for law enforcement to put resources into a situation where they're unsure a crime even occurred. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

10 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

Does she speak Spanish?

The road he was on was quite remote, but it also happens to be the road you would end up on if you missed your turn in Luling that you would normally take to head to I-10 and Houston. If you are on 80 and you failed to turn right on 183, you would ultimately end up on the road his car crashed on. I think your theory is mostly accurate except it doesn’t account for not finding the body. They did numerous searches and didn’t find anything anywhere.

His cell phone was found between the seat and console, out of sight. My possible theory is that he accidentally misses his turn, ends up out there in this dark remote road, wrecks, possibly due to intoxication. Can’t find his phone, is discombobulated due to accident and intoxication, and wanders off to a local property to get help where a homeowner sees a fucked up bleeding guy banging on his door, gets scared, shoots him, then panics and disposes the body somehow.

That road has some creepy looking remote houses that are undoubtedly inhabited by weird rednecks. I drove down in and got True Detective vibes.

This explains all the evidence in one way or another. I suppose it is possible some wild hogs found his body out there and devoured it too.

15 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

pictures of the girlfriend aren't showing up
as we need to determine how much time to spend figuring out where the home is

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Mantis Toboggan, MD said:

The road he was on was quite remote, but it also happens to be the road you would end up on if you missed your turn in Luling that you would normally take to head to I-10 and Houston. If you are on 80 and you failed to turn right on 183, you would ultimately end up on the road his car crashed on. I think your theory is mostly accurate except it doesn’t account for not finding the body. They did numerous searches and didn’t find anything anywhere.

His cell phone was found between the seat and console, out of sight. My possible theory is that he accidentally misses his turn, ends up out there in this dark remote road, wrecks, possibly due to intoxication. Can’t find his phone, is discombobulated due to accident and intoxication, and wanders off to a local property to get help where a homeowner sees a fucked up bleeding guy banging on his door, gets scared, shoots him, then panics and disposes the body somehow.

That road has some creepy looking remote houses that are undoubtedly inhabited by weird rednecks. I drove down in and got True Detective vibes.

This explains all the evidence in one way or another. I suppose it is possible some wild hogs found his body out there and devoured it too.

If he rolled up on a tweaker house, they'd have killed him and dismembered the body and then forgot they even did it. 

Did Texas Equusearch ever do anything for this? 

Speaking of families I hurt for…still no real good leads on Rachel Cooke and it’s been 20 fucking years. Damn. Though I think she was kidnapped and murdered. So sad…
https://www.kvue.com/amp/article/news/local/rachel-cooke-disapperance-20-years-later-texas/269-b8e09e50-0018-4d6b-aa0b-81949896cc90
44869958-F512-4B81-9561-5C2FE4FB0EEC.thumb.jpeg.3e0e0830b9fbb3b673ef38980e1495be.jpeg

They most certainly DO have leads and pretty significant POI’s that they are working. The case is actively being worked.
  • Hook 'Em 2

43 minutes ago, scottsins said:

They most certainly DO have leads and pretty significant POI’s that they are working. The case is actively being worked.

That’s good to know. It just seems like they might have their eye on someone/a couple of someones but don’t have the evidence yet? I worry bc Georgetown has been so corrupt in an LEO sense and I hurt for her family. There is no true closure but at least knowing what happened or being able to bury her remains can help them a bit