6 yr old boy fatally shoots 5 yr old sister. Parents had trained boy how to use hand gun.

crash_davis

I don't own a handgun. I own a 2 shotguns and a .22. But even if I did, never in a million years would I think I would teach my kids at 6 years old how to use a handgun. My younger daughter at around 13 wanted to learn how to shoot the 20 gauge. I asked her why. She said she just wanted to shoot it. I told her it's not a toy that you just mess around with. She didn't ask again. If she wanted to start duck or dove hunting, I would've taught her.

Is teaching a 6 yr old how to shoot a handgun normal? Also they found the sister with a gun shot wound to the head. Was that also in the lesson?

Also they look exactly like the type who would teach a 6 yr old how to use a handgun and have gun lock key easily accessible to him.

The fuck is wrong with people.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/police-boy-fatally-shoots-sister-parents-arrested-87488623

MUNCIE, Ind. -- A 6-year-old boy fatally shot his 5-year-old sister in their home in eastern Indiana and their parents have been arrested in the killing, police said.

First responders discovered the girl with a gunshot wound to the head early Tuesday afternoon at the home in Muncie, 60 miles (100 kilometers) northeast of Indianapolis. She was taken to IU Health Ball Memorial Hospital, where she was pronounced dead, The Star Press reported.

Jacob Grayson told investigators his 6-year-old son removed one of two loaded handguns from a safe and shot his sister, police said.

Grayson, 28, and his 27-year-old wife, Kimberly Grayson, were preliminarily charged with neglect of a dependent resulting in death and three other counts of neglect, Deputy Police Chief Melissa Criswell said.

The boy told police he found the key to the safe in his parents' bedroom and removed the gun while his mother was napping.

The parents told police their son had opened the safe before, and Kimberly Grayson said she and her husband had taken the boy to a shooting range to teach him how to fire a handgun.

ngcb2

I let my son shoot a handgun when he was 10.  It was in a very highly controlled environment.  That was over 3 years ago now and he hasn't even mentioned guns again.  I think his curiosity was satisfied and he has properly understood the consequences of poorly made decisions involving guns.  He's never tried to show off any of our guns with friends either.  We've always instructed him that if any of his friends tried to show him their families' guns, that he is to leave immediately.  All of that being said, I would never ever teach a 6 year old how to use a gun.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

Newflash: kids don't need to be "trained" how to use a handgun. A few months back, I let my 7 yr old stepson handle a semiautomatic handgun that I was cleaning. As soon as he got both hands on it, he attempted to rack the slide to load the gun(gun and magazine were empty), something no one had taught him to do. He learned how playing video games 

Edited by Cornpop
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

8 minutes ago, elfenix said:

she has leaned all the way into that bit

I have seen one Dora the Explorer episode. It was playing on the TV in a restaurant in San Jose, Costa Rica. Maybe there is a large preschool expat population in CR trying to learn Spanish, I dunno. They weren't in the restaurant.

Chila mochiiila.

51 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

I have seen one Dora the Explorer episode. It was playing on the TV in a restaurant in San Jose, Costa Rica. Maybe there is a large preschool expat population in CR trying to learn Spanish, I dunno. They weren't in the restaurant.

Chila mochiiila.

never seen dora.  the chick doing the voice and getting hit in the face got 137 million views of the OG 'make me a sandwich' video, and has done a bunch more since. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hate said:

I let my son shoot a handgun when he was 10.  It was in a very highly controlled environment.  That was over 3 years ago now and he hasn't even mentioned guns again.  I think his curiosity was satisfied and he has properly understood the consequences of poorly made decisions involving guns.  He's never tried to show off any of our guns with friends either.  We've always instructed him that if any of his friends tried to show him their families' guns, that he is to leave immediately.  All of that being said, I would never ever teach a 6 year old how to use a gun.

Here in SA we’re good for 2 or 3 “teen/child killed while playing with gun” stories a year. I know a 2 year old got killed like that a month or 2 ago, most recent instance I think. They almost ALWAYS involve multiple other kids being present. 

Six is probably a little young for a handgun, but not out of the ordinary for something like a .22 while under strict supervision. Maybe they showed him how to shoot it thinking he would realize how powerful it was and have more respect for it? Regardless, they should have kept the keys to the safe somewhere where he wouldn't have access to them.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Hate said:

Maybe he shouldn’t be playing video games where handling guns is a skill?

My boys are 13 now but most of the plastic toy pistols they played with as little kids had a slide that made a racking sound as you pulled it back. 

they first shot my Glock at 11 or 12 but I didn’t let them cycle it, just put one cartridge into the magazine, pulled the slide and put it in their hands already pointed down range. 

asked if they wanted to fire the 12 gauge and they both declined. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

My boys are 13 now but most of the plastic toy pistols they played with as little kids had a slide that made a racking sound as you pulled it back. 

they first shot my Glock at 11 or 12 but I didn’t let them cycle it, just put one cartridge into the magazine, pulled the slide and put it in their hands already pointed down range. 

asked if they wanted to fire the 12 gauge and they both declined. 

Yeah, and I think that is appropriate. I let my son shoot my Judge with one .410 shell loaded and pointed down range. He didn’t even ask to shoot it again.

15 yr old kills 3 siblings then offs himself. 

https://www.alaskasnewssource.com/2022/07/27/4-children-dead-after-15-year-old-shot-3-siblings-self-troopers-say/

Troopers said a 15-year-old boy shot three of his siblings, ages 5, 8 and 17, and then shot himself. Three other siblings in the home, all under the age of 7, were not injured.

1 hour ago, Hate said:

Yeah, and I think that is appropriate. I let my son shoot my Judge with one .410 shell loaded and pointed down range. He didn’t even ask to shoot it again.

Yeah, he learned his lesson after he shot your judge.  Was he wearing a powdered wig too? 

15 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

15 yr old kills 3 siblings then offs himself. 

https://www.alaskasnewssource.com/2022/07/27/4-children-dead-after-15-year-old-shot-3-siblings-self-troopers-say/

Troopers said a 15-year-old boy shot three of his siblings, ages 5, 8 and 17, and then shot himself. Three other siblings in the home, all under the age of 7, were not injured.

Maybe there wasn't enough grazing.

26 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

I let my kid sit in the gunner seat in my Cobra, but I had it rigged to where it could only cover 30 degrees of sweep and only shot in three round bursts.  But even that wasn’t until he was 8, because I’m a responsible gun owner.  

You didn't own that gun.

I let my son shoot a handgun when he was 10….That was over 3 years ago now…..he has properly understood the consequences

No offense meant by this as I don’t know you or your son. But I don’t think I’ve ever met a 10yo or 13yo that properly understood anything.

46 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Yeah, blame the video games 🙄

I'm not blaming the video games.  Is it really an unpopular opinion that 6 year olds kids shouldn't be playing video games that require they learn how to use a gun?  Project elsewhere.

Edited by Hate
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hate said:

I'm not blaming the video games.  Is it really an unpopular opinion that 6 year olds kids shouldn't be playing video games that require they learn how to use a gun?  Project elsewhere.

6 year olds shouldn't be playing violent video games.  I think the main point was that training isn't needed in order for a kid to figure out how to discharge a handgun.  It's not rocket science, and it's not even a statement on our gun culture or propensity for violence.  A 6 year old Swedish kid could figure it out as well.  It's an intuitive action that's pretty much engrained in every human on the planet since guns were created.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Hate said:

He said seven, not six. Good luck keeping a first or second grader away from all games and media depicting the use of a firearm. Absent locking them up in a closet, I'm going to say this is impossible in modern America. And, blaming a videogame for a kid being able to rack the slide on a gun is stupid. Guns are made to be easy to use. I'm pretty confident that even with absolutely zero exposure to guns, a typical 3 year-old would be pulling the slide on pretty much any handgun in a matter of minutes just because it is like the only moving part.

2 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

6 year olds shouldn't be playing violent video games.  I think the main point was that training isn't needed in order for a kid to figure out how to discharge a handgun.  It's not rocket science, and it's not even a statement on our gun culture or propensity for violence.  A 6 year old Swedish kid could figure it out as well.  It's an intuitive action that's pretty much engrained in every human on the planet since guns were created.

It isn't intuitive because guns have entered the collective subconscious. It is intuitive because the guns are designed to be easy and obvious to use.

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, tbone_ said:

No offense meant by this as I don’t know you or your son. But I don’t think I’ve ever met a 10yo or 13yo that properly understood anything.

I haven’t either though at 13 they are sure they know it all. Especially boys. My son fired a pistol at age 10. With a friend of mine (who I trust completely) who asked me if he could take his son and my son shooting. I agreed but told him my son had never handled anything but a 20 gauge. And then I worried the entire time. My fear with knuckle headed shit happening - OP being a terrible prime example - are why I got rid of a new Glock. I’d rather have a handgun in the house, but do not feel I can responsibly manage it, and have a general fear of handguns. I hate reading shit like this. Totally senseless, though, this gene pool doesn’t strike me as one that would contribute meaningful people to the world. 

37 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

He said seven, not six. Good luck keeping a first or second grader away from all games and media depicting the use of a firearm. Absent locking them up in a closet, I'm going to say this is impossible in modern America. And, blaming a videogame for a kid being able to rack the slide on a gun is stupid. Guns are made to be easy to use. I'm pretty confident that even with absolutely zero exposure to guns, a typical 3 year-old would be pulling the slide on pretty much any handgun in a matter of minutes just because it is like the only moving part.

You are intent on waging a needless war. The issue seems to be with him playing video games, not the games themselves. Sounds like the stepdad poster here agrees his access to these games is a problem. So he’ll stop it. And when he sneaks shit like growing boys will do, hopefully his stepdad will have taught him responsible gun ownership. Sounds like he has and there isn’t a problem. But don’t let that stop you from creating one.