Tell me about Texas Tech

Longboard Horn

Mike has gad decades to try and come close to what Gundy has done and he can't and he won't because he us a cultist, a clown, and a one trick pony that still pays no attention to anything but running up meaningless offensive stats.  

Gundy won the conference and finished in the top 5 in his 7th season Mike has not come close to that because when he has the chance he gets ass raped by ou with 2 weeks to prepare 

Mike  8 and 8 in Bowl games Gundy 10 and 5 Mike has a couple more wins overall but a lot more losses Gundy has the better winning percentage Mike would have just built his cult following at Tech while continuing to never have any meaningful major accomplishments no major Bowl win no conference championships just spare Bowl games he could use as a platform to say dumb shit about anything other than winning major games and getting meaningful hardware 

Edited by ButtFumble
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

Mike has gad decades to try and come close to what Gundy has done and he can't and he won't because he us a cultist, a clown, and a one trick pony that still pays no attention to anything but running up meaningless offensive stats.  

Gundy won the conference and finished in the top 5 in his 7th season Mike has not come close to that because when he has the chance he gets ass raped by ou with 2 weeks to prepare 

Mike  8 and 8 in Bowl games Gundy 10 and 5 Mike has a couple more wins overall but a lot more losses Gundy has the better winning percentage Mike would have just built his cult following at Tech while continuing to never have any meaningful major accomplishments no major Bowl win no conference championships just spare Bowl games he could use as a platform to say dumb shit about anything other than winning major games and getting meaningful hardware 

I have no idea wtf you just said…

6 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Nope...

DAN BUCKNER      WR

HEIGHT      6-4

WEIGHT     215lbs

--------------------------------

JOSHUA MOORE    WR

HEIGHT     6-1

WEIGHT     169lbs

Sorry, but I wasn’t channeling Katfid with my question. Just from a production, or lack there of, stand point. 

2 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

Physically gifted players who can't catch a cold?

This. Flash at times or even have a great game, but disappeared most of the time and would rarely have back to back good games. 

I’m sure he’ll have a good career finish at Tech but don’t expect much beyond that. 

This. Flash at times or even have a great game, but disappeared most of the time and would rarely have back to back good games. 

I’m sure he’ll have a good career finish at Tech but don’t expect much beyond that. 

Yeah, still a nope for me.

Buckner never flashed in the manner that Moore did.

But I do wish them both a Merry Christmas.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 12/24/2021 at 2:43 PM, ButtFumble said:

Do you have the unedited post?  I'm wondering if it made more sense.

7 hours ago, XOVERX said:

TT WR Coach Emmett Jones.  Formerly of KU, but coached many years at South Oak Cliff, Dallas. Supposedly a helluva recruiter. Stick Jones in the Metroplex and move Banks and Choice down to Greater Houston?

I know him. Tech just paid 800k to get him out of his KU contract so that he could go back there. He and McGuire are friends and he openly campaigned for a spot on that staff. Don’t think this is likely to happen anytime soon.

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/9029054002

Spoiler

MEMPHIS — It took 25 minutes, but Mike Leach eventually took aim at those he blames for his 2009 dismissal from Texas Tech.

The Mississippi State football (7-5) coach had kept to football-related topics for much of his Monday press conference ahead of the AutoZone Liberty Bowl on Tuesday (5:45 p.m., ESPN), but when it comes to the Bulldogs’ matchup with Texas Tech (6-6), there’s more at play than the trophy.

Leach has battled his former employer in court for the last 12 years, stemming from a scandal that led to his 2009 firing from the Red Raiders. Leach bashed former Texas Tech Chancellor Kent Hance, said there was no investigation into his treatment of wide receiver Adam James and said the school has illegally hidden public records from him and his representation.

Leach still disputes the validity of that for-cause firing, and he said Monday that he won’t go away until he gets a check for the roughly $2.5 million he feels he’s owed.

"Forever,” Leach said when asked how long he’ll battle Texas Tech in court. “Why not? I mean, what do I got to lose? I don't have anything to lose. I mean, they cheated me out of $2.6 million, plus four years remaining on my contract."

Texas Tech did not immediately reply to a request for comment regarding Leach’s accusations.

The scandal began in December 2009, when James accused Leach and his staff of locking him in a darkened room after he suffered a concussion. Craig James, Adam James’ father and at the time an ESPN commentator, approached Texas Tech about his son’s treatment.

James wanted Leach fired. Texas Tech President Guy Bailey asked Leach to write a letter of apology to James and his family, but after Leach refused, Bailey suspended him on Dec. 28, 2009. That prompted Leach to file a temporary restraining order against Texas Tech, hoping to still coach the bowl game.

Instead, according to court records, Bailey said he and athletics director Gerald Myers decided “the relationship was probably broken.” They fired Leach for cause on Dec. 30, 2009.

“In Lubbock, there were four bad apples that were determined to cheat me out of my salary,” Leach said Monday. “We know about that. And the other four years on my contract. And then continued to hide the documents illegally. But short of that, I thought everyone was great.”

Leach clarified he doesn’t have anything against Texas Tech. He respects the players and is friends with interim coach Sonny Cumbie, a former Red Raiders quarterback Leach coached.

But Leach has been in a legal melee with the university for 12 years. First, his temporary restraining order fell short when he was fired. When he sued the school for wrongful termination, the Texas Supreme Court rejected his appeal in 2012 without an opinion. In recent years, Wayne Dolcefino, who runs an investigative media consulting firm, has battled Texas Tech over public information record requests.

I’ve been willing to settle this thing for a long time, but they don’t seem to be willing to,” Leach said. “I think that’s unfortunate. I think all the people there are great. Some of the leadership, at least when I was there, was very sleazy and slimy and dirty. I enjoy naming names on it too, which I might as well. They all know who they are. We should get this thing settled. They should pay me. And we should all celebrate achievements together. But that doesn’t seem to be what they have in mind.”

Leach also pointed to Texas Tech’s investigation into his treatment of James, which was never completed “as the completion of the report was interrupted by the litigation ensuing upon Coach Leach's termination,” the university said, according to court records.

When Dolcefino submitted a public information request to the school in 2017 to retrieve an investigation documents, Texas Tech said there were no responsive records.

“They lied about having an investigation, and then they won’t produce the documents to prove they had an investigation,” Leach said. “It just goes to show you how Kent Hance and some of his little cronies, how sleazy those guys are. So let’s go ahead and see it. And of course, it’s going to illustrate that they lied to the fans and everybody else. And then they continue to hide documents from everything from sexual assault to everything else.”

Dolcefino submitted new legal action against Texas Tech last week, alleging that the university withheld sexual assault records from the Board of Education.

“I know a few things more about Texas Tech that I didn’t know when we began this fight,” Dolcefino said. “They cheated Coach Leach and to cover it up they will violate public records laws with abandon, even records that directly affect the safety of the young women on their campuses.”

The back-and-forth adds intrigue to Tuesday’s Liberty Bowl — and it won’t end with the final whistle.

“I think settling for $2.6 (million) is very generous on my part, and the hiding of documents becomes even more disgusting, because that shows a level of corruption,” Leach said. “I wouldn’t even rule out some criminal prosecution on the thing. We’ll see how it unfolds.”

• 4 weeks later...

This right here:  “You’re not part of the game,” Giovannetti said. “The guys on the floor are part of the game. Just do your part, sit in your seat, be loud and just have fun.”

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Tech might be underrated in 2022

Secondary should be good according to Scipio Tex, and he really likes their new OC.

FF9nd27VkAM-Bcb?format=jpg&name=large

https://247sports.com/college/texas-tech/Article/Texas-Tech-Red-Raiders-Zach-Kittley-offensive-coordinator-Joey-McGuire-college-football-wreckem-GunsUp--177480357/

new DC not bad either...

Texas Tech names Tim DeRuyter as Defensive Coordinator

Tim DeRuyter joins the Red Raiders after previously serving as the defensive coordinator at both Cal and Oregon

https://texastech.com/news/2021/12/9/football-texas-tech-names-tim-deruyter-as-defensive-coordinator.aspx

16 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Rumors are Tech is getting a new practice facility and an expanded south endzone in Jones ATT

A $30 mil donation was previously announced along with plans for the new football building

I’m guessing that this might be a reveal of the SE plans and design

On 7/11/2022 at 7:26 PM, perfectchaos007 said:

Except for those three things on top of the end zone that look very much like an after thought, appears to be an impressive project for Tech, who will most likely be a player in the reconstituted B12.

4 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Except for those three things on top of the end zone that look very much like an after thought, appears to be an impressive project for Tech, who will most likely be a player in the reconstituted B12.

Bell towers.   It's kind of our thing.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

Bell towers.   It's kind of our thing.

The towers actually look cool. It’s that corny double T and the two video boards that detract from the end zone’s overall aesthetic. One big sleeker board and placement of the double T in the plaza would have been better, imo.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Satchel said:

The towers actually look cool. It’s that corny double T and the two video boards that detract from the end zone’s overall aesthetic. One big sleeker board and placement of the double T in the plaza would have been better, imo.

I like the Double T scoreboard because we've had a Double T scoreboard in the south ez my entire life, so I'm glad they are going to keep that bit of history going, albeit with a new and modern version.  I remember my first game at age 7 just starting at it and thinking it was the coolest scoreboard in the world.

I agree with you on the video boards.  

Yeah, I love the Double T scoreboard more than (some) Houstonians love the Astrodome, but the Double T is actually still functional.  It needs to be visible from regular seating, because we don't have a horse or dog cemetery anywhere needing  to see the scores.

Love the towers.

Wreck Em!!!

Edited by slorch

Joey McGuire explains the moment he knew he found his offensive play caller

Joey McGuire's shortlist for an offensive coordinator zeroed in on Zach Kittley after one particular comment about his offensive philosophy.

DOUG SAMUELS   JUL 14, 2022

There are certain places in college football where the mere mention of the program brings to mind an offensive identity.

Texas Tech is one of those places where it's impossible to conjure up thoughts of the Red Raiders without also thinking of the Air Raid roots of Mike Leach, and later Kliff Kingsbury.

So when Joey McGuire was named the new leader of the program, the former Texas high school coach had an important hire to make when it came to who to hand the offense to.

That process led him to Western Kentucky offensive coordinator Zach Kittley, who made an incredible jump from 115th to 2nd nationally in scoring in his first season calling the offensive shots, setting all kinds of single-season passing records along the way.

At Big 12 Media Days earlier today, McGuire laid out the moment in the interview process where he knew he had found his guy.

"Where I fell in love with him is, we've been talking a lot over the last couple of years, and in the interview, he said 'Coach, I'm going to find our best 11 players, I'm going to get them on the field, and we're going to score a lot of points.'"

"When I talked to him, one of the things about Kittley is he'll say 'we have Air Raid concepts, but we are not a true Air Raid

That's when McGuire knew Kittley was the guy for the job.

McGuire went on to share that at Western Kentucky, Kittley had four really good receivers, so they played in a lot of 10 personnel sets. Now, in Lubbock, they've got three really good tight ends so things may look a bit different, and as a defensive minded coach, McGuire believes in complimentary football.

There is a lot of excitement in the air around Lubbock, starting with the hire of McGuire and earlier this week the Red Raiders announced that they've got $200 million raised for the largest football facility in college football.

Kittley's plan for the offense is another reason to be excited about the direction in Lubbock. At just 30 years old, he's undoubtedly one of the rising stars in the coaching profession.

Answer starts approx 3:30 mark...

This is a pretty sweet deal. Did Tech rob a bank?

Matador Club offers $25K contracts to 100 Texas Tech football players

When state laws and the NCAA made it legal last year for college athletes to profit off their name, image and likeness, a University of Miami supporter fired one of the first attention-getting shots.

Dan Lambert offered $500 a month to any Hurricanes scholarship football player in exchange for promoting the American Top Team mixed martial arts academy he founded, an annual outlay of more than $500,000 if everyone opted in.

Now Texas Tech football players can sign up to make four times that amount.

The Matador Club, a non-profit collective organized by Texas Tech donors, plans this week to sign 100 Red Raiders football players each to one-year, $25,000 contracts.

Cody Campbell, a founding member of the Matador Club board of directors, said all 85 scholarship players and 15 of the top walk-ons will be covered under the agreements. In return, they'll be expected to do community service and charitable work around Lubbock and, in the future, possibly other West Texas cities.

Campbell said payments to players will be made monthly beginning the first week of August, and the community service endeavors will continue throughout the next year.

When the club was launched in February, Campbell said he and fellow Tech supporters Terry Fuller, John Sellers, Gary Petersen, Tim Culp and Marc McDougal are board members for the organization. Campbell and Sellers are former Canyon High School and Tech football teammates, as well as business partners.

State laws last July legalized college athletes being paid by third parties for use of their name, image and likeness. The NCAA grudgingly acceded after decades of prohibiting athletes receiving more than a scholarship and, later, full cost of attendance stipends. Donor collectives, through which a school's fans can pool money to support their teams, sprang up quickly across the country.

"The Matador Club has been funded by private donors," Campbell said. "It's an NIL collective. Donations have ranged from 10 dollars to hundreds of thousands of dollars, but we've gotten to a point where we've done pretty well and so we're ready to sign the contracts with the football team. We plan to move forward with (men's) basketball and baseball in the next weeks, months to come."

The Matador Club will offer each player the same contract, Campbell said, a one-year deal, renewable annually. The biggest star and the walk-on are each signing for $25,000.

"Collectives have done things a number of different ways," Campbell said. "You see some of them paying large amounts to individual players. You see others doing different things. But what we want to do, really, is support the entire program. This is kind of a base salary for the guys. They're not going to be restricted from doing any other NIL stuff with anybody else. In fact, we're going to encourage and help them to do that.

"But this is just something that's going to make sure that guys feel supported by the Texas Tech community, that they are comfortable and in a position where they can stay in the program and develop themselves, because we really believe in what coach (Joey) McGuire and his staff are doing in terms of being focused on long-term player development. We think that's the key to Texas Tech, in particular, having success."

The 85 players are the maximum the NCAA allows on scholarship. Campbell said the 15 walk-ons the Matador Club plans to sign will be the ones most likely to contribute to the team.

"Texas Tech has a long history of walk-ons doing very well," Campbell said, "and coming along, being contributors and earning scholarships over time. And so it's important that we support as many of those guys as we can."

All 100 players will be offered a contract this week. Checks are to be distributed monthly.

In early December, Tech announced a $25 million gift from Campbell that will go toward a proposed $200 million in football facilities. Tech subsequently named the field at Jones AT&T Stadium for him.

Campbell declined to say how much money the Matador Club has raised, citing competitive purposes with other schools' NIL collectives, though the initial investment in Red Raiders football players adds up to $2.5 million. Campbell said there are additional funds beyond that. The donations are being held in a liquid account, he said, not invested because "we don't want to take any risk with anybody's money."

"It's been amazing how well we've done from a fundraising standpoint," he said. "Really, I don't even know that we've scratched the surface in terms of what the potential capability of the Texas Tech community is when it comes to something like this. I think we can be competitive with just about anybody on this front."

Campbell said close to 1,000 donors have contributed, but he says the Matador Club needs contributors large and small to be successful and sustaining over many years. He said a number of fans are giving $100 month and others have given amounts such as $1,000 and $5,000.

"We've been able to raise the money we felt like we needed to raise to hit our targets," Campbell said. "Tech fans have a lot of passion, right? And so pretty much anybody we've gotten to talk to about it has been willing and able to help. They understand how important it is.

"I think, overall, my expectations have been confirmed with respect to how the Tech alumni base and body of fans would respond, and I think that long-term, NIL will be a major strength for Texas Tech, just because we have a very large number of alumni and a relatively affluent alumni base, but also one that's very, very passionate. That's probably the main thing is people really do care about Tech and are willing to do whatever they can to help."

Campbell said the Matador Club hired an NCAA attorney when setting up its collective and says it will operate in compliance with NCAA rules. In other words, only an outside entity, not the school, is involved, there will be an exchange of value by athletes in return for the money and NIL deals cannot be used as a recruiting inducement.

"That's a rule a lot of people are breaking," Campbell said in regard to the latter, "but we're absolutely not going to do it. We're not going to play that game. Now, I'm certain that when every player on our roster gets $25,000, it's going to become known that Texas Tech has a good NIL program that'll be appealing to recruits, but we're not going to make any promises on the front end. We're not going to break any rules."

Texas state NIL law requires athletes disclose to their school any proposed offer related to NIL. As of June 30, one year after athletes were allowed to profit, Tech athletes had disclosed NIL deals that totaled almost $1.7 million. In all sports across the athletics department, not just football, 218 Tech athletes (170 men, 48 women) had disclosed 534 NIL deals that averaged $3,180 per activity.

Campbell made a bit of cash in the oil boom prior to the bust.

I haven't agreed with him on everything( Holgorsen) but he damned sure puts his money where his mouth is.  Can't question his love for Tech.

LOLz at UT fan casting aspersions at where the money came from.

Fuck your PUF fund aided significantly by  WTIC...

Edited by slorch