Tell me about Texas Tech

Longboard Horn

1 minute ago, Horn Dog said:

“Horns Down” is not a rule you twat.  Taunting is the rule.  Personally I say go for it as long as Overshown doesn’t get suspended when he humps your QBs face after his 4th sack.

Meh.

The push off rule in the NFL isn't called the Michael Irvin Rule for nothin.    It's the Horns Down penalty, and you'll like it.

1 minute ago, slorch said:

Meh.

The push off rule in the NFL isn't called the Michael Irvin Rule for nothin.    It's the Horns Down penalty, and you'll like it.

Its a rule because every opponent likes to do it, which I think is fine, but when our players taunt back its suddenly “Unsportsmanlike Conduct”.  So we asked for clarification and this is what the babies at B12 came up with.  The real answer would of been to allow all the fuckin taunting the players can hand out and stop being pussies.

On 9/19/2022 at 3:55 PM, Horn Dog said:

Its a rule because every opponent likes to do it, which I think is fine, but when our players taunt back its suddenly “Unsportsmanlike Conduct”.  So we asked for clarification and this is what the babies at B12 came up with.  The real answer would of been to allow all the fuckin taunting the players can hand out and stop being pussies.

or just let it wash over you and play with class and a killer mindset.

On 9/20/2022 at 3:25 PM, LTtxfan said:

This can't be accurate -- Tech has some other recent football game sellouts that were not against Texas right raider fans ???  🤔

https://www.vivathematadors.com/platform/amp/2022/9/21/23365360/its-time-to-move-on-from-the-texas-longhorns

It’s time to move on from the Texas Longhorns

Nobody needs Texas.

mikemacon23September 21, 2022 12:40 pm

I understand that lots of folks, myself included, thoroughly enjoy smoking Texas in *insert literally any sport here*.

I understand the economic implications for Lubbock.

I especially understand how much realignment has ruined traditional rivalries in our sport, and trying to avoid that in this situation.

But if you ask me, I would be fine never playing them again. In anything at all. Some of you listened to me talk about this topic right after news came out that OF COURSE Texas lied about their intentions to keep the Texas legislature off their back about scheduling the game.

Yeah, I chose my words intentionally: they lied. CDC can walk it back all he wants, he said what he needed to when news broke of the SEC move to keep the hearings at a minimum. He is a slimy weasel, he will never negotiate in good faith with the other Texas schools. Any deal Tech could strike with a guy of his low character will end badly. Because every deal ever struck with Texas has ended with them blowing up everyone else to make a quick buck they do not need.

Texas has done everything they can to cause as much harm as possible to the Big 12, and more damningly to every other Texas university. They are greedy, arrogant, and they will never act with anyone else’s interests at heart no matter how many actual people get hurt by their actions while the state forks over billions to them due to the broken PUF agreement. Texas fans like to pretend they are the Yankees, people hate them because they are good. No, people hate them because they are just arrogant pricks.

That sounds harsh, there are good and bad people in every fanbase. But if you all have ever listened to Texas fans, am I wrong in saying the ratio of arrogant to decent is horribly skewed the wrong way? They think they are better than you, not just in sports but that their association with Texas Tech immediately makes you less than them.

Just leave them in the past. Let them make their own bed getting walloped in the SEC, time to move out from under that shadow. The growing and passionate Red Raider fanbase doesn’t need them to support the Red Raiders. The Big 12 is looking like the rising third power in college sports, and there are plenty of exciting matchups and new rivalries to grow with people who do view you as their equal and will work with you in good faith.

Nobody needs Texas, it is time to strike out on our own path as a university. I will enjoy the last few meetings, and I am sure the universities will play again in any number of sports. But if they don’t, it is just time to move on and Tech will be better for it.

It’s okay, they don’t need us.  We’re good, they’re good, it’s a win-win.

• Rage+1 1

On 9/24/2022 at 10:38 PM, satyanash said:

Bunch of jackasses

You know that's not a Tech guy, right?  That's some Twitter guy named Dana Beers who has a schtick going right now where he is being "recruited" to be a lifelong fan of a college team, and he's taking his official visits to schools this fall.

Seems like a fat jackass who has somehow developed a following on Twitter.  I'm a little amazed at how many schools and fanbases are engaging in the recruitment.  Not sure what being chosen brings you, except some drunk fat Twitter guy who I guess has never actually gone to college.  Google video of him at A&M.

recently heard some CFB scout guy on the radio say that some folks believe Behren Morton has a shot to play on Sundays.  Tech may have a QB controversy on their hands...

The future is now

More than once, McGuire has referred to redshirt freshman QB Behren Morton as the future of the program.  Now, it is fair to suggest that the future has arrived.

Making his first career start on the road against a top-10 team, Morton was fantastic.  Completing 39 of 62 passes for 379 yards and two TDs, he had what was arguably the best QB performance that this program has seen this season.

What separated Morton’s work from what we’ve seen from Donovan Smith is that Morton was decisive with the ball.  With just a couple of exceptions, he got rid of the football on time and for the most part, he seemed to make the correct reads.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

something is wrong with their horse:

Due to inflammation in one of Centennial Champion’s legs, the Masked Rider will be unable to make her traditional pre-game run and lead the team onto the field for the Texas Tech University football game on Saturday (Nov. 26) against the University of Oklahoma at Jones AT&T Stadium.

Veterinarians examining and treating Centennial Champion say the horse is expected to return to full health in a few weeks.

Further details, including the potential effect on upcoming Texas Tech events, will be released in the future.

https://www.kcbd.com/2022/11/23/masked-rider-unavailable-pre-game-run-texas-tech-oklahoma-game/

On 11/24/2022 at 10:25 AM, Hpara759 said:

Due to inflammation in one of Centennial Champion’s legs, the Masked Rider will be unable to make her traditional pre-game run and lead the team onto the field for the Texas Tech University football game on Saturday (Nov. 26) against the University of Oklahoma at Jones AT&T Stadium.

Veterinarians examining and treating Centennial Champion say the horse is expected to return to full health in a few weeks.

Further details, including the potential effect on upcoming Texas Tech events, will be released in the future.

https://www.kcbd.com/2022/11/23/masked-rider-unavailable-pre-game-run-texas-tech-oklahoma-game/

Then there was this little incident.  I know the now-prominent citizens of Brady who stole the horse and painted it.  The story I heard was that the paint definitely killed the horse.

The last known prank against a Tech horse was in 1975. Joe Kim King, that year's Masked Rider, decided to make his home town, Brady, Texas, the halfway point for the journey to Austin for the Tech-University of Texas football game. His father, a veterinarian, allowed King to board the horse, Happy V, at his facilities. Sometime during the night the horse was painted over his hindquarters, tail and back legs with orange paint. Initial reports said that the horse would never recover from burns received from the toxic enamel paint. King was quoted in the Sept. 23, 1975 issue of The U.D. as saying, "I never thought this would happen in Brady. It's my fault because I didn't guard the horse. I'll know in the future that you have to watch out at all times." Happy V recovered in time to finish the football season but died in 1978 after suffering a ruptured intestine. Some sources speculated that the horse died due to the effects of the toxic paint, but that was never confirmed. Larry Cade, that year's Masked Rider, said the horse had been suffering from colic "for some time" before his death.

• 2 weeks later...

Thx for this info goes to @MonkeyDoughnut

Tech athletes in portal before Dec. 14 barred from first Alston award checks

Don Williams      Lubbock Avalanche-Journal

December 7th

The hottest topic in college football this week is the volume of players having their names entered into the NCAA transfer portal. New legislation adopted in August narrowed the time frame players could do so to a 45-day period right after bowl pairings are made and another period from May 1-15.

Hundreds of players had their names newly entered on Monday, the day the portal opened for this period.

Texas Tech players have a financial incentive to keep their names out of the portal before Dec. 14. The last day of fall-semester final examinations is Dec. 13, and Tech athletes whose names are in the portal on or before that date are disqualified from receiving financial awards under Tech's Strive Program, senior associate athletics director Jonathan Botros said.

Tech plans to pay its qualified athletes a baseline amount of $1,990 at the end of a semester for being academically eligible, on a path to graduate, in good standing on a team roster and not in the transfer portal. They can earn up to $1,000 more based on hitting grade-point average increments, performing five hours of community service and taking part in name, image and likeness education and personal and career development programs.

An athlete meeting every requirement can earn $2,990 in a semester, $5,980 in an academic year. That's the maximum amount established by the unanimous Supreme Court ruling in June 2021 in NCAA vs. Alston.

The ruling meant the NCAA can no longer prohibit schools from providing non-cash education-related benefits to athletes or from providing cash or cash-like awards to athletes for academic achievement in an annual amount up to $5,980. Previously, NCAA rules capped the amount schools could offer athletes at full cost of attendance. The Supreme Court upheld a lower-court ruling that the NCAA limits violated antitrust law.

Individual conferences may still set limits, but the Big 12 Board of Directors said in October 2021 its member schools could decide how much they want to offer in Alston awards up to the full amount.

Tech set up a program it named Strive and budgeted more than $1.8 million for the 2022-23 academic year to cover its Alston-award payments.

Botros, the chief financial officer for the Tech athletics department, said last week Tech plans to distribute its first Strive Program payments shortly before or shortly after Christmas.

"Essentially, as we put this together, we're saying that everything they do during each semester up until the last day of finals is how they qualify," Botros said. "As long as they're not in the portal, they're academically eligible by that last date ... because that can fluctuate. They can be in trouble academically and then recoup and get themselves back in a good position by the end of the semester, so we basically said the last day of finals of each semester is when we're going to look to see if they qualify for each element."

Asked specifically about players who have their names entered into the transfer portal this week, Botros said, "If they're in the portal as of the last day of finals or prior, yes, that would disqualify them" from receiving a Strive Program payment.

"But vice versa, if they made the decision to leave Texas Tech after the last day of finals," Botros said, "and we look back and say, 'All right, they did everything. They met their obligations to Texas Tech during that semester,' they wouldn't be penalized in that case."

The conflict for Tech football players wanting to leave could come up again after spring practice. The NCAA transfer portal is open May 1-15 and Tech's spring semester ends May 9.

Asked this week about the upcoming Strive Program payments, Tech defensive tackle Tony Bradford said he'd forgotten about them.

"I'm glad you reminded me," Bradford in a humorous tone, "because they're going to be owing me a lot of money."

As of Friday, Botros said, 307 Texas Tech athletes were in line to get a Strive Program check for this semester.

During a normal school year, Tech has between 400 and 420 athletes with about 300 to 320 on some amount of athletic scholarship. The total number of scholarships is 213. Texas Tech athletes in football, basketball, volleyball and women's tennis receive full scholarships, and athletes in other sports receive partial or "equivalency" scholarships.

So might see more Tech players wait to enter the portal till Dec 14th or after so they still receive their payment for finishing the fall semester. 

https://www.lubbockonline.com/story/sports/college/red-raiders/2022/12/07/texas-tech-athletes-in-portal-before-dec-14-barred-from-first-alston-award-checks/69707400007/

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Thx for this info goes to @MonkeyDoughnut

Tech athletes in portal before Dec. 14 barred from first Alston award checks

Don Williams      Lubbock Avalanche-Journal

December 7th

So might see more Tech players wait to enter the portal till Dec 14th or after so they still receive their payment for finishing the fall semester. 

https://www.lubbockonline.com/story/sports/college/red-raiders/2022/12/07/texas-tech-athletes-in-portal-before-dec-14-barred-from-first-alston-award-checks/69707400007/

Tech seems to have a better handle on its management of the NIL than a lot of other places.

On 11/24/2022 at 10:25 AM, Hpara759 said:

FarSideCartoon_1.jpg

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Meanwhile, Tech fans probably celebrating Coach Beard’s unfortunate incarceration.

The last 24-36 hours have been tragic, sad, with a little bit of laughter at Pirate moments from the past. The Beard thing is pretty damned surreal, TBH. It'd be easy to throw it in Horn fans' faces, especially with the overwhelming refrain of 'We stole yo coach," and how everything was going to be going forward.  Turned out life itself took care of that bullshit.

Both coaches have deep ties to Texas Tech.  One is still deeply beloved by many.  One isn't.