Tell me about Texas Tech

Longboard Horn

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

LOL, the link makes it look like they gave him a $266 million contract, which would probably even make A&M blush.

18 hours ago, JOSEYWALES66 said:

They beat Texas.  That's priority number 1. 

Beating OU was just icing on the cake.

6 years for $42 MM is a long way from Cedar Hill.

In other news, my dumbass neighbor thinks Tech "beat 3 SEC teams" this season. I'm sure gonna miss these tortilla-tossing, sand aggies.

Asked to clarify whether a Texas Tech player used a racial slur toward one of his players, Kiffin said he wasn't sure.

"I'm not going to, because I did not hear it, [I'm not going to] say that that happened for sure that he gave a racial slur to our player," Kiffin said. "I was told that that was said in that [incident], but I did not hear that. So that would obviously be a giant issue."

Take the loss pussy.

Edited by threesheets
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Tech has the “Sovereign Immunity” card to play, which is more powerful than a Wild Draw 4 in Uno. Contracts mean nothing to them. 

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Per Umlang: Texas Tech had more SEC wins than A&M this year

Aggy beat LSU and Arky?

7 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

More like typical Lane Kiffin being a whiney douchebag and trying to deflect from his team having three targeting fouls (should have been four) and getting their asses handed to them. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

THAT's the best they could come up with?  It's so freaking aggy because it's something I would expect an 8 year old to come up with.

My aggy relatives, every single time we see them, say, "Can we see your Tech ring?  Oh look, you have TT on your ring".  They've been telling that joke since the Carter presidency, and it's no funnier now than then. But they think they are so clever.

Don't go full Aggy, horns.  You are better than that.

Edited by Uncle Nate

https://www.everythinglubbock.com/news/local-news/texas-tech-wool-judging-team-wins-national-western-stock-show/

LUBBOCK, Texas — Texas Tech University recently announced its Wool Judging Team won first place at the National Western Stock Show (NWSS) for the second year in a row in Denver.  

According to a press release from TTU and the Texas Tech Today website, the team finished with a total score of 1,968 to beat Texas A&M University and Angelo State University.

The university said four members of the team also placed in the top 10 individually at the competition, led by high individual Cross Knittel from Sterling City, Texas.

aggy took their eye off the ball (or their balls off the sheep) and let Tech get in there two years in a row and win them some wool judging......aggy will surely argue there is no need to be so judgemental and just fuck all of them that you can

https://www.everythinglubbock.com/news/local-news/syphilis-cases-on-the-rise-in-lubbock-county-health-officials-say-take-a-look-at-the-numbers/

The Health Department held a Board of Health meeting on Friday to discuss the uptick in syphilis cases in Lubbock County.

well with a winning season in football and an ass kicking of Ole' Miss in a bowl game that brings fucking season and Tech likes them some raw dogging.....and well raw dogging brings Raider Rash season

Edited by ButtFumble

On 1/16/2023 at 11:41 AM, Uncle Nate said:

THAT's the best they could come up with?  It's so freaking aggy because it's something I would expect an 8 year old to come up with.

My aggy relatives, every single time we see them, say, "Can we see your Tech ring?  Oh look, you have TT on your ring".  They've been telling that joke since the Carter presidency, and it's no funnier now than then. But they think they are so clever.

I mean, I agree with you…but, in fairness, it appears that the girl holding the sign is around 8 years old. 

Learned that joke from my aggy uncle when I was about that age.

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Brian Fantana said:

Ketch has decided to wade into the hornet's nest and actively argue with the staff and posters on the Tech rivals site in a thread about him. I did not expect to be this entertained this morning.

I let my Rivals sub die on the vine probably 6-7+ years ago (about the time Aaron starting to get a big head and think he was the BMOC...the place started to suck when Robert G. left, but when Aaron decided he was a demi-god about all things RRS, I had had enough).

This, however, may entice me to sign back up.

1 hour ago, Brian Fantana said:

Ketch has decided to wade into the hornet's nest and actively argue with the staff and posters on the Tech rivals site in a thread about him. I did not expect to be this entertained this morning.

Screenshots for the rest of us? 

20 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Honestly I'd love to and maybe I'll pick up the highlights later but it's like 12 pages worth of nonsense and I don't have time for that shit right now.

No worries, grab any good shit now and post it later in case they start deleting shit.

• 3 weeks later...

Texas Tech names Tyler Shough starting QB for 3rd straight season

Adam Rittenberg, ESPN     Jun 9, 2023

Tyler Shough will enter his third consecutive season as Texas Tech's starting quarterback, a role he has thrived in when healthy.

The team on Friday announced Shough, who is 8-0 in games he has both started and finished with the Red Raiders, will take the first snaps this coming season. Shough was limited to four starts in 2021 because of a broken collarbone and missed six games last season because of a shoulder injury suffered in the opening contest.

He had competed in spring practice with Behren Morton, who had 1,117 passing yards with seven touchdowns and six interceptions last season. Shough went 5-0 as Texas Tech's starter in 2022 and finished strong, winning MVP honors in the team's Texas Bowl win over Ole Miss.

Set to enter his sixth year, Shough played three seasons at Oregon and started in 2020 as the Ducks went 5-2 and won the Pac-12. He will see his former team Sept. 9, when Texas Tech hosts the Ducks.

Shough has 3,879 career passing yards with 29 touchdowns and 13 interceptions. He is 12-4 as a college starter and 8-1 at Texas Tech.

• 4 weeks later...

Dallas Morning News fluff piece for tech...

LUBBOCK — Once a week, usually Sunday, Texas Tech football coach Joey McGuire forgoes his white pickup and makes the 10-mile drive from his Lakeridge Estates home to campus in something more, well, Joey.

He calls it the Batmobile. It’s a black 2021 Corvette Stingray, a surprise 50th birthday gift from his wife, Debbie. Joey says the car purportedly can reach 196 mph, which begs the obvious follow-up.

Dare we ask, Coach, the fastest you’ve gone?

“I haven’t gotten close to that,” McGuire said. “But I’ve gone pretty fast.”

Midlife crisis? Oh, the contrary. After 21 high school seasons with three state titles at Cedar Hill, then five years as a Baylor assistant, he’s attained his mountaintop. OK, so the most suitable view was from atop a 220-foot crane, with McGuire showing Guns Up and bellowing from the summit: “It’s incredible!”

Regardless of vantage point, his aspirations and gusto for Texas Tech are boundless. Like his Batmobile and crane climb, his 8-5 debut last season was a head-turner.

McGuire became the first Red Raider football coach to beat Texas and Oklahoma in the same year, memorably shouting in the locker room after the 37-34 win over the Longhorns, “The country’s gonna find out: ‘Everything runs through Lubbock!’ ”

Tech led the nation in fourth-down gambles (52) and conversions (33) and beat Ole Miss in the Texas Bowl. Then McGuire reeled in the Red Raiders’ highest-ranked recruiting class since 2012.

Bolstered with such results, Joey fever has proved contagious among Red Raiders fans and within Tech’s locker room.

“It’s literally crazy what’s about to happen around here,” Tech defensive back Dadrion “Rabbit” Taylor-Demerson said.

Meaning what?

“Hey, man, this place is about to be booming. This might be the new Alabama, Georgia, Michigan, those schools. It’s about to be booming in West Texas.”

Don’t expect McGuire to tap the brakes Thursday when the Red Raider contingent rolls into AT&T Stadium for the second of the Big 12′s two Media Days. McGuire says he appreciates fans who keep thanking him for that UT-OU sweep, but . . .

“Our goal is to win the Big 12. We didn’t do that.”

Winning the Big 12 this season probably would require beating the Longhorns or Sooners or both in those teams’ final year in the league, a provocative subplot of which the Red Raiders are well aware.

“If you ask any of our kids, they’re gonna tell you this: ‘We’ll win the Big 12 before Texas leaves the Big 12,’” McGuire said. “So, obviously, our plan is to win it this year.”

As he spoke to The News in his office on June 20, McGuire was amid a whirlwind recruiting month and in full throttle despite sleeping five hours the previous weekend.

A day earlier, The News was the only media outlet present when McGuire climbed one of two construction cranes towering above the south end of Jones AT&T Stadium in what amounted to a publicity stunt as Tech raises funds for its $219 million, well-underway stadium and football facility upgrades.

And in May we were at Joe T. Garcia’s, the Fort Worth stop of the statewide Red Raider Club Wreck ‘Em Tour, where McGuire stoked the crowd with proclamations like “We signed the fastest class in the nation” and this challenge to likely top-10 Oregon when it visits Lubbock on Sept. 9: “What I want to find out is, ‘Can they handle 60 minutes of us?’ "

He is caffeine personified, perhaps partly because, as Taylor-Demerson says, “he drinks so much freakin’ coffee.”

McGuire’s evangelistic zeal evokes memories of one of his role models, the “Unbelievable!” Jim Wacker during his 1980s TCU prime. It’s natural to wonder, though: Is McGuire always like this?

“He is,” said Debbie, his wife of 29 years, feigning a sigh. “Joey has the mentality that when his feet hit the floor he’s going to be in a good mood.

“It’s very annoying.”

Uncle Joe-Joe

For four June weekends, the McGuires’ 8,500-square-foot home doubled as Tech’s recruiting hub, entertaining successive waves of 12-to-14 prospective Red Raiders, their families and current Tech players.

As was the case during Joey’s 14 seasons as Cedar Hill’s head coach (2003-2016), Debbie co-pilots many off-the-field aspects of the Red Raider program, including recruiting.

Football staff members say that during the McGuires’ 20-month tenure, a familial culture has been fostered. Six daughters of former Tech players and coaches work in the football department. Staffers’ younger children greet the McGuires as Uncle Joe-Joe and Aunt Debbie.

No surprise, then, that the McGuires ordered a food truck for recruiting weekends and transformed their home into a six-bedroom, six-bath, three-fireplace welcome wagon. Recruits played basketball and cornhole but, inevitably, gravitated to the Batmobile.

“They all, always, want to see it.”

Tech senior quarterback Tyler Shough, who last season overcame a shoulder injury to go 5-0 as the starter, says Joey McGuire makes sincere personal connections with every player, but that shouldn’t be misconstrued as softness.

Shough said it’s about establishing a foundation of two-way trust and accountability. McGuire is transfer Shough’s fourth head coach, after Mario Cristobal at Oregon and Matt Wells and Sonny Cumbie at Tech.

“Coach McGuire is better in almost every single way, as far as developing a culture that’s actually real,” Shough said. “I feel like our team is player-led, where he’s given us the reins to do our thing, but we wouldn’t be where we are without him.

“A lot of people may describe him as a players’ coach, but he still gets on your ass because he’s got such a high standard. He’s going to wrap his arm around your shoulder at the end of the day but do what’s best for the team. That’s pretty unique.”

McGuire says he doesn’t host players or pick them up at the airport in the Batmobile to be ostentatious, but, rather, to show what is achievable with channeled resolve and maximum effort.

Players are surprised, McGuire said, when he tells them the first house he lived in after his Aug. 6, 1971 birth was in a Texarkana, Texas trailer park, the start of an unlikely life arc and career path.

Joey McGuire in his 2021 Corvette that his wife, Debbie, gifted him as a surprise for his 50th birthday in August 2021.(Debbie McGuire)

Profound influences

His father George was a commercial air-conditioner installer. Mother Gail, following the birth of Joey’s younger sister, Kim, returned to school and earned a nursing degree.

Nursing jobs in Texarkana were scarce, so the McGuires moved to Crowley, where Gail’s brother was a dentist. Joey was a roly-poly 7th grader, embittered that he’d been uprooted.

“My mom,” he said, “drove me to H.F. Stevens Middle School and told Coach Graves: ‘He will do anything you ask him to do. If he doesn’t make a team, he will be your manager.”

McGuire played on the seventh grade football B team, got cut in basketball and became manager. Like most of the kids in town, Joey played on youth league teams coached by George, but he lagged athletically and emotionally.

Then a kid named Roger Corn moved to town. Joey and Roger instantly clicked. Became inseparable. Roger was athletic and confident. Keeping pace with Roger steered Joey in an unfamiliar direction: Forward.

“Man, that dude literally changed my life,” McGuire said, becoming emotional. Corn would remain his best friend and open his eyes to other horizons — notably, Texas Tech, where Corn was a walk-on tight end — until he died in 2019 after a gallbladder infection.

As with anyone’s life path, McGuire’s had other fateful meetings and experiences. He’s thankful that in the summer after seventh grade his parents sent him to TCU’s weeklong football camp, headed by Wacker.

“He was bigger than life,” McGuire said. “He was so positive. He made me feel like a million bucks. He made everybody feel that way. That really kind of started me coming out of hatin’ where I was at.”

The following summer McGuire was named one of the MVPs of TCU’s camp. At Crowley High he became an all-district linebacker as a junior and all-district offensive guard as a senior, meanwhile helping George coach youth teams.

A career in coaching, though, wasn’t in Joey’s thought process. He enrolled at UT-Arlington, which didn’t even have football, to follow a tract to nursing school and ultimately achieve Gail’s vision that he’d become an anesthesiologist.

He says frequent road trips in his ‘79 Honda Accord to see Corn led to his falling in love with West Texas and the Tech campus — despite an, uh, incident in 1989.

After watching the Red Raiders beat Texas A&M in Jones Stadium, McGuire accompanied Corn to a team party at the home of quarterback Jamie Gill. McGuire listened as Red Raider players bragged about how they were going to whip their next opponent, No. 7 Arkansas, McGuire’s favorite childhood team.

“Guys, really?” he blurted. Corn grabbed his arm, but the damage was done.

“What did you say?” scowled defensive lineman Marcus Washington, rising to his feet.

“Hey, Roger,” Gill said. “You probably need to leave with your buddy.”

“Yes, sir,” Joey said.

Lovestruck

Still, entering his junior year at UTA, McGuire planned to transfer to Tech and try to walk on to the team. Until love happened.

Joey had joined Kappa Sigma fraternity and was playing for and coaching its intramural flag football team. He also coached the flag team of Kappa’s sister sorority, Zeta Tau Alpha.

“Who’s that blonde?” McGuire asked one of his fraternity brothers.

“That’s Debbie. She’s got a pretty serious boyfriend, though.”

“They’ll be broken up in three weeks,” McGuire said.

Debbie’s version?

“He was very cocky, very loud. I asked my best friend, ‘Who is this guy?’ "

Joey left notes on Debbie’s car. He was persistent but also sweet, leaving Debbie a teddy bear that she still has. As for Joey’s three-week timetable . . .

“It took two,” he said.

Joey told Corn he was in love and couldn’t come to Tech. Not long after, he drove to Crowley and told Gail he no longer wanted to be an anesthesiologist. He wanted to coach, which meant changing his major.

“I was starting to ask Debbie to marry me and she said, ‘You’ve got to graduate first,’ ” he said. “So I literally went to my advisor and said, ‘What’s the fastest way out of here?’ ”

He toiled for eight years as an assistant at Crowley and Cedar Hill before, at age 31, he became Cedar Hill’s head coach.

By then the McGuires had daughter Raegan and son Garret, who grew up watching Dad transform Cedar Hill from football nobody to state powerhouse. As Garret neared high school, the chance to coach him at quarterback factored into Joey turning down assistant jobs at Tulsa, Hawaii and Texas, among others.

Screenshot_20230711-101700_kindlephoto-3560684.thumb.png.7133ee293fd38ae21034d8a6ac891638.png

When Joey left Cedar Hill in 2017 to become Matt Rhule’s tight ends coach at Baylor, Garret, too, went to Waco and played four more years under Joey. It’s the Cedar Hill days, though, that are most indelible for Garret.

“I watched my dad walk the field after every game and every practice and pick up little pieces of trash,” Garret said. “He cares so much about every detail. It became contagious for other people to see.”

On Sundays McGuire was the first coach in the fieldhouse, clearing the bulletin board of the previous week’s scouting reports, diagrams and every last staple.

“He’d tell the equipment guys, ‘I’m never gonna wear white on grass,’ " Garret said. “You know why? Because when he was a young coach he had to wash the stains off of white pants.”

Raegan attended Midlothian High School, where she was a cheerleader and state-ranked powerlifter. She chose, though, to practice in Cedar Hill’s weight room and be close to her father.

Raegan attended Texas Tech, graduating in 2018. She jokes that “it was a tough pill to swallow” when her dad went to Baylor, but “above all, I’m a Joey McGuire fan.”

By the time McGuire interviewed for the Texas Tech job in November 2021, Raegan was a rising-star fashion designer in New York and Garret was an offensive assistant on Rhule’s Carolina Panthers staff.

For the McGuires, sting lingered from Joey turning down the UTSA job in Dec. 2019, thinking he was in line to succeed Rhule at Baylor, which instead hired Dave Aranda.

The Texas Tech process, Raegan said, “was very confidential, but I kept thinking, ‘If they meet him they’re going to hire him. He’s meant to be in Lubbock.’ Then when my dad FaceTimed us — he never FaceTimes — I just knew what it was.”

Raegan had the presence of mind to screenshot the moment Joey delivered the news to Debbie, Garret and Raegan. It’s frozen in time, but 20 months later still emotional.

YOWWHX7OM5CZ3EYORTYBK3JYLE.JPG

A screenshot of when Joey McGuire told his family he got the Texas Tech head coaching job on FaceTime.(Reagan McGuire)

“There’s a saying that ‘Football is not who you are; it’s what you do,’” Garret said. “But I think in my family football is who we are. We believe we’re put on this Earth to coach football and teach about life through the game.

“My dad has been a father figure to so many players and mom has been a mother figure to so many.”

Reverend Joey

Saturday in Little Elm, Tech defensive quality controls assistant coach James Lockhart IV married Amalia Bowden.

Presiding over the ceremony was Joey McGuire, who coached defensive end Lockhart at Baylor. Lockhart says McGuire long has been a mentor and confidant, but especially since James Lockhart III’s passing last year.

In 2020 McGuire officiated the wedding of Plano High and Baylor product and current Carolina Panther Sam Tecklenburg to Kelsey.

And next April in San Diego, McGuire is scheduled to officiate the nuptials of Tyler Shough and Jordan Wormdahl.

“He’s been so important and welcoming to both of us,” Shough said. “Honestly we can’t think of anybody better. He’s perfect.”

Just two months ago, also in Little Elm, an emotional McGuire walked Raegan down the aisle to, coincidentally, another Joe, Tocco.

Debbie says she cried when father and daughter danced to Rascal Flatts’ “My Wish,” and that there wasn’t a dry eye in sight when Joey during the previous night’s rehearsal dinner made an impromptu toast, addressing it solely to Raegan.

“One thing he said was ‘To take in Raegan is to take in everything right in the world; there’s a sense of brightness,’” Raegan said. “And the whole time I’m thinking, ‘I literally got these things from you and mom.’”

Screenshot_20230711-101942_kindlephoto-3722350.png.293d6ccda9401cbed38c9774063405cb.png

McGuire turns 52 next month. For his 51st birthday, Debbie got him a vanity plate for the Batmobile, “Take3,” a McGuire mantra dating to the Cedar Hill days that stresses the goal of winning each game’s turnover margin by 3.

McGuire says he long ago set a goal of owning a Corvette by age 50. Debbie snuck the Batmobile into their Midlothian home garage a few days before that birthday, to the shock of Joey, surrounded by family and friends, when he opened the overhead door.

Perhaps it was an omen that Debbie chose a black Corvette. Four months later, Tech came calling. Had she known that would happen, she says, she’d have gotten red interior.

“It didn’t go unnoticed by us that he was 50 when Tech called,” she said. “We want Lubbock and Raider Nation to know that we are so thankful.

“We thought he was going to get the Baylor job, but he got to come here and be Joey. Him climbing a crane? I did not want that. That’s just him.”

This is his mountaintop. It’s a view he plans to prolong.

“I’ve told Debbie I’m never going to retire,” he said. “I have to be around players. That is why I was put on this Earth.

“So my plan is to be here and ride things out to the end. Hopefully, it’s not dropping dead on the sideline. We’d need it to be after a win. Many, many years from now.”

Bama talk, aside; I just want to be competitive again.

We haven't been.

I am more optimistic about Tech Football than I have been in, well, since 2009.  Joey McGuire is a part of that, for sure.  So is the cash some of our boosters are getting out there.  It's all part of the mix, and McGuire seems to be a very positive element.

2 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

Fuck Tech in every orifice with a rusty razor.  I hope we absolutely mudhole those shitbags in our walk-off season.  Same goes for Baylol, Okie Lite, the cockroaches in Fort Worth, KSU . . . all of them.  Fuck 'em all.  They can all go die in a fire.

Unfortunately we don't play Okie Lite this year