Tell me about Texas Tech

Longboard Horn

1 minute ago, slorch said:

I quit on Coach Bro last week. 

Evidently, so did his squad. 

Yeah, this seems a lot like how 2016 played out, where they had close losses to OU, UT and OSU and then shit the bed against Iowa State, even though they could've still made a bowl game.  Instead they imploded and finished with a losing record.  When I saw guys crying after losing to UT last week, I was afraid they might come out super flat today.  

Needless to say, this is not a good performance for a coach who's ostensibly coaching for his job. 

today was everything about the Bro tenure

late in the game in a 3rd and long get a stupid ruffing the passer penalty to give KSU a first down

QBs that are just woefully under prepared......Jet Duffy is regarded and should not even be on the team much less the field and he has played plenty at this point, but still cannot take a snap from center and handle the ball......then they replace him WAY TOO LATE in the game when it is clear that Duffy is regarded and will not rally the team and the guy that was the SEASON STARTER just does more stupid shit

the terrible INTs

dumb ass special teams decisions over and over on BASIC shit like kick offs......to end the half actually going backwards to the point that a safety is a real possibility with 28 seconds left because of dumb ass play calling and dumb ass players handling the ball

playing down the the level of opponents, shitting the bed when important things are at stake and coming out flat as fuck and never showing a glimmer of hope

this looked like dumb as fuck cool kid Bro coaching Vs the guy that ended last season and started this season

there is no way to recover from this Baylor is a probably loss and even if it was a win Bro comes from the fuck off the bowl game style of coaching so Tech would be looking at 6-7 even with a Baylor win and really even IF Tech could beat Baylor and take home the Golded Alternator Trophy from a bowl game 7-5 should not cut it this far into a tenure that features entire seasons of shitting the bed and long streaks of shitting the bed with totally dumb ass shit every season because Patterson will not stay down long, Rule is CLEARLY a better coach than Bro.....Less at KU will knock the shit out of Bro, OkState still gives them fits, Holgar is light years ahead of Bro and Tommy H. and LR are not going to shit the bed to Kliff every other year or so much less in the same year of frequently

along with that players are still transferring the fuck out and the QB play is still questionable and the running game seems to have gone to shit

it is too bad Tech will probably lose their best DC in decades if they fire Bro, but there needs to be a change at the top for sure Kliff just has the dumbs like Duffy and they both need to GTFO together

• Like 3

Football has been cruel to Kliff. 2 years ago we were scoring 50 a game in conference and losing by 10. Now his D gives up only 21 and he loses by 2 scores. 

Buyout is allegedly 7 million. Then Tech would have to pony up on a new hire. Despite this streak and apathy. I just do not see anyone wanting to write that check. 

Fuck it. Give him and Bowman’s lung another year. Or not. I worry that Tech overreacts and the new hire loses every single game. Then what? 

• Like 1

I've been told repeatedly that we had the money LAST year to do the buyout.  The Texas win just earned Kliff another year.

I don't think right now, even if Bowman pulled a Jimmy Chitwood, Kliff's job would be saved.

I wouldn't pull for Baylor to win against ISIS, much less against my beloved Red Raiders. That's a maddening premise that I see some folks posting this morning.

It's pure bullshit.

The deal with Kliff's departure had better already be done.  Finish out the season with dignity.

1 hour ago, Moby Ric said:

Coach Bro needs to be done.  Kansas is about to hire Les Miles.  Tech is about to be the new Kansas.  I am actually hoping Baylor drills Tech just to drive the point home that Kliff needs to fired immediately if not 2 years ago.

Kliff is a good position coach, but a terrible HC

1 hour ago, slorch said:

I wouldn't pull for Baylor to win against ISIS, much less against my beloved Red Raiders. That's a maddening premise that I see some folks posting this morning.

It's pure bullshit.

The deal with Kliff's departure had better already be done.  Finish out the season with dignity.

This.

Kliff made one bonehead call against us (the 4th and 1).  Otherwise, when I've watched y'all I have not seen bad coaching.  You have a good DC and your defense is greatly improved.  You have your QB of the future (if his lungs stay uncollapsed).   You have a good offensive mind calling the plays.  I don't really give a shit what you do, but I think there's a case to be made to keep him and let him develop Bowman and let the stubble face guy keep building the defense.

Edited by ClubWhatever
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Kliff made one bonehead call against us (the 4th and 1).  Otherwise, when I've watched y'all I have not seen bad coaching.  You have a good DC and your defense is greatly improved.  You have your QB of the future (if his lungs stay uncollapsed).   You have a good offensive mind calling the plays.  I don't really give a shit what you do, but I think there's a case to be made to keep him and let him develop Bowman and let the stubble face guy keep building the defense.

You haven't watched enough then.

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

If you want to fire him, you need to pull an LSU and announce his firing now so he doesn’t win the last game and a bowl game and gain momentum for the “he deserves another year crowd”

He already got that with the Texas win last season.

If he gets retained after this season, then it's directly on Hocutt.  I don't want him to fuck up his legacy he is building in hoops, baseball, and track hires by keeping Kliff.

21 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Lol 95% chance its Littrell or Neal Brown

my money is on Littrell

I have been coming around on Brown.

I'd be willing to see what he could do without Tuberville fucking with him every 3rd down.

7 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

Do not disagree with this assessment. But yesterday was it for me. I think. Im too much of a lifelong diehard. What I fear the most is a shit hire and being the new Kansas or the Baylor during the doormat days. 

I just cant understand how the team that executed so easily in Stillwater just implodes in 6 weeks. Just a slow but total slide to the bottom. Pfft. 

KK needed to go last year.  He's been there six years now and his conference record is currently 19-34, he hasn't won a home conference game other than KU in 3 years, he's had a losing conference record for six straight years now, I could go on.  He's had really bad QB injury luck this year, but didn't do any better when he had a talent like Pat Mahomes.  

KK's buyout is 4 million and change.  Approximately 2 million more for assistants, which is on Kirby for giving them unusual 2 year deals.  The buyout money plus new coach's money is definitely there.  Leach would have come last year, but don't think so this year. Hocutt would be against it anyway.  Not sure he really gets it in that many believe Jim Leavitt is his favorite.  Horrible choice IMO.

Wouldnt surprise me if TT wins the Baylor game to see Hocutt do nothing, offering baseless justification as he did last year.  He has great manlove for KK.

A few details about Kliff's  contract situation. https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/9/1/17808950/kliff-kingsbury-contract-buyout

22 hours ago, slorch said:

It's pure bullshit.

Dignity, who the hell cares at this point?  If Kliff pulls out a win against baylor and in some shitty bowl game I assure you he stays.  No way that Dumbass Kirby is going to can him at 7-5.  I'd rather take the loss (pussy), not make the bowl and get rid of the problem and move on. Kliff should have been fired last year, or the year before that.  But he wins one magical game and it saves his job.  Tired of that.  It is going to take a losing season at this point to have Kliff fired.  And can he please take Jett Duffy with him.

edit.  It pains me to think this, cause I fucking hate baylor.  Fuck baylor.

Edited by Moby Ric

On 11/17/2018 at 8:48 PM, ButtFumble said:

today was everything about the Bro tenure

late in the game in a 3rd and long get a stupid ruffing the passer penalty to give KSU a first down

QBs that are just woefully under prepared......Jet Duffy is regarded and should not even be on the team much less the field and he has played plenty at this point, but still cannot take a snap from center and handle the ball......then they replace him WAY TOO LATE in the game when it is clear that Duffy is regarded and will not rally the team and the guy that was the SEASON STARTER just does more stupid shit

the terrible INTs

dumb ass special teams decisions over and over on BASIC shit like kick offs......to end the half actually going backwards to the point that a safety is a real possibility with 28 seconds left because of dumb ass play calling and dumb ass players handling the ball

playing down the the level of opponents, shitting the bed when important things are at stake and coming out flat as fuck and never showing a glimmer of hope

this looked like dumb as fuck cool kid Bro coaching Vs the guy that ended last season and started this season

there is no way to recover from this Baylor is a probably loss and even if it was a win Bro comes from the fuck off the bowl game style of coaching so Tech would be looking at 6-7 even with a Baylor win and really even IF Tech could beat Baylor and take home the Golded Alternator Trophy from a bowl game 7-5 should not cut it this far into a tenure that features entire seasons of shitting the bed and long streaks of shitting the bed with totally dumb ass shit every season because Patterson will not stay down long, Rule is CLEARLY a better coach than Bro.....Less at KU will knock the shit out of Bro, OkState still gives them fits, Holgar is light years ahead of Bro and Tommy H. and LR are not going to shit the bed to Kliff every other year or so much less in the same year of frequently

along with that players are still transferring the fuck out and the QB play is still questionable and the running game seems to have gone to shit

it is too bad Tech will probably lose their best DC in decades if they fire Bro, but there needs to be a change at the top for sure Kliff just has the dumbs like Duffy and they both need to GTFO together

2mxwi4.jpg

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, DonnyKerabatsos said:

Tech did so loud and proudly back in 2009.

Indeed.  Howevah...

What are you doing about  improving the program today? Losing to Baylor shouldn’t help anything along, and if that’s the difference in Kliff being retained, then the current leadership brings their own performance into question.  It is a record of results that has been excellent to date.

Time to move forward with football... F Baylor.

16 minutes ago, slorch said:

Indeed.  Howevah...

What are you doing about  improving the program today? Losing to Baylor shouldn’t help anything along, and if that’s the difference in Kliff being retained, then the current leadership brings their own performance into question.  It is a record of results that has been excellent to date.

Time to move forward with football... F Baylor.

A sentiment which we can all support.

I think I am out of step with the CW on KK. I think Tech's improvements this year were masked by some bad luck. Kliff isn't Leach, but he can succeed running an Air Raid. Tech blasted Houston and humiliated OSU in Stillwater-- those guys have lost a lot this year, but Tech's winning convincingly at OSU is more than a minor event IMO. Like us, they had some early season bad play. Like us, they hit rough patch in conference play recently. They got beaten by who turns out to be a decent ISU team. They lost close ones to both TEXAS and OU. Their dreams of a good season went up in smoke in three straight weeks. I do not believe that the 6 points against KSU is a good measure of how well Tech could/should do barring the unfortunate circumstances, and the purple wizard has been known to push a lot of people's buttons.

I think that a young guy like Kliff has a chance to grow into a more successful coach over time, time not often given anymore. There are probably hotter coaches out there who could get things on track faster, but the chance that Tech snags and keeps one long-term is not good. With OU and TEXAS on the schedule, Tech's realistic ceiling most years is 10 wins. 6-6 there translates to 7.5-4.5 here. Not great, but not a firing offense IMO in light of how this season has shaken out. If KK lets things spiral out of hand, I can understand letting him go. If he shores things up and wins a couple more, I would keep him. Neither Matt Campbell nor Mike Leach is walking through that door. Heck, Petrino was run off as much for performance as anything else. Is Tech confident it can get better than Petrino to come and stay?

TLDR: looks bad but enough recent evidence of improvement that I would not can him.

Edited by Magus Ossis

8 hours ago, pigmeat markham said:

He's been there six years now and his conference record is currently 19-34, he hasn't won a home conference game other than KU in 3 years, he's had a losing conference record for six straight years now, I could go on.  

Yikes. Didn't realize it was this bad. Figured it was closer to .500. 

8 hours ago, pigmeat markham said:

KK needed to go last year.  He's been there six years now and his conference record is currently 19-34, he hasn't won a home conference game other than KU in 3 years, he's had a losing conference record for six straight years now, I could go on.  He's had really bad QB injury luck this year, but didn't do any better when he had a talent like Pat Mahomes.  

KK's buyout is 4 million and change.  Approximately 2 million more for assistants, which is on Kirby for giving them unusual 2 year deals.  The buyout money plus new coach's money is definitely there.  Leach would have come last year, but don't think so this year. Hocutt would be against it anyway.  Not sure he really gets it in that many believe Jim Leavitt is his favorite.  Horrible choice IMO.

Wouldnt surprise me if TT wins the Baylor game to see Hocutt do nothing, offering baseless justification as he did last year.  He has great manlove for KK.

A few details about Kliff's  contract situation. https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/9/1/17808950/kliff-kingsbury-contract-buyout

But where else are you going to find another coach that always looks so fit and groomed? He's like the anti Holgorsen/Faterson. 

10 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

I think I am out of step with the CW on KK. I think Tech's improvements this year were masked by some bad luck. Kliff isn't Leach, but he can succeed running an Air Raid. Tech blasted Houston and humiliated OSU in Stillwater-- those guys have lost a lot this year, but Tech's winning convincingly at OSU is more than a minor event IMO. Like us, they had some early season bad play. Like us, they hit rough patch in conference play recently. They got beaten by who turns out to be a decent ISU team. They lost close ones to both TEXAS and OU. Their dreams of a good season went up in smoke in three straight weeks. I do not believe that the 6 points against KSU is a good measure of how well Tech could/should do barring the unfortunate circumstances, and the purple wizard has been known to push a lot of people's buttons.

I think that a young guy like Kliff has a chance to grow into a more successful coach over time, time not often given anymore. There are probably hotter coaches out there who could get things on track faster, but the chance that Tech snags and keeps one long-term is not good. With OU and TEXAS on the schedule, Tech's realistic ceiling most years is 10 wins. 6-6 there translates to 7.5-4.5 here. Not great, but not a firing offense IMO in light of how this season has shaken out. If KK lets things spiral out of hand, I can understand letting him go. If he shores things up and wins a couple more, I would keep him. Neither Matt Campbell nor Mike Leach is walking through that door. Heck, Petrino was run off as much for performance as anything else. Is Tech confident it can get better than Petrino to come and stay?

TLDR: looks bad but enough recent evidence of improvement that I would not can him.

I’m not worried about the ‘stay’ part.  Reality is there are better jobs out there. Jim Harbaugh left Stanford for crisakes.

Don’t worry about what you are not.

9 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Yikes. Didn't realize it was this bad. Figured it was closer to .500. 

I didn't either, but I am not sure that should be the deciding factor here.  Like picking stocks, you make a decision on the direction you think the program is going, not on where it's been.  That record is skewed by years when he did not have anything but wet tissue paper on defense.  It looks to me like the trend on both sides of the ball is up.  I am just an indifferent Texas fan however and haven't close enough attention to their recruiting or their games outside of ours and the OU game.

5 minutes ago, CozManTx said:

Our Tech board is the suck. Can I post here instead? This board seems way more of my speed.

Don't fuck it up on your first day.  And yes the Tech board is shit.  Has been for years.  Everyone either left or got banned after the owner decided nobody could say anything negative about Tech or the BOR or the football program, etc after Leach was fired.  The owner pitbul, I think, ruined that board.