Tell me about Texas Tech

Longboard Horn

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

FOOTBALL SCOOP....   ZACH BARNETT.    AUG 2, 2021

Back by overwhelming demand, FootballScoop will once again examine the assistant coaching hires that will have the biggest impact on the college football season and the coaching job market in the 2021 season and beyond.

The 15 most important assistant coaching hires of 2021 -- No. 15:

Sonny Cumbie, Texas Tech

The former walk-on from Snyder, Texas, has played or coached for every Red Raider coach since Mike Leach. He returns home to Lubbock charged with turning the ship around.

Who: Sonny Cumbie, Texas Tech

Title: Offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach

Previous stop: TCU offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach (2017-20)

Why he's important: Are you familiar with the Ship of Theseus? I don't want to dig too deeply into one of the classic concepts of Western philosophy here on a football website -- visit my offshoot site WesternPhilosophyScoop.com, launching soon, for a full breakdown -- so I'll give you the synopsis. The ship of the Greek hero Theseus is placed in a museum. Shortly after, one board of the wooden ship begins to rot and is replaced. Then another. Then another. Eventually enough years pass and not a single item on the ship, nominally the one belonging to Theseus, actually sailed on the sea. 

The Ship of Theseus is a thought experiment about the metaphysics of identity. Is the ship still the ship without any of its original pieces? If not, when did the Ship of Theseus stop being the Ship of Theseus -- after the first rotten board was replaced? The fifth? The twentieth?

In hiring Sonny Cumbie to run his offense, Texas Tech head coach Matt Wells provided his own answer.

The nature of college football is that of permanent change. In general, between 20 and 30 percent of the roster, players and coaches, turn over every single year.

The man who brought the Air Raid was kicked out of Lubbock more than a decade ago now -- more than enough time to turn the roster over three to four times. Texas Tech could be on its fourth generation of players recruited to run the triple option by now, if it wanted. 

But in hiring Cumbie, Wells announced to the world that the Ship of Theseus is the Air Raid, and no matter how many years ago Mike Leach stopped sailing the ship and no matter how many players have come and gone. The Ship will always be the Ship.  

Cumbie trails only Kliff Kingsbury among the first generation of Air Raid disciples. He declined scholarship opportunities at the Division II level to walk on at Texas Tech in 2000, Leach's first season as head coach. He didn't see the field at all in his first two years on campus and threw just 62 passes as a sophomore and junior, but finally got his turn as a fifth-year senior in 2004, where he led FBS with 4,742 passing yards and beat Aaron Rodgers and Marshawn Lynch's Cal team in the Holiday Bowl. 

That one season was enough for him to earn a living as a professional quarterback... in the arena league. He's almost certainly the best quarterback to ever wear a Los Angeles Avengers uniform. When the team folded after the 2008 season, he spent the spring of '09 as the head coach, director of player personnel and starting quarterback of the San Angelo (Texas) Stampede of the Indoor Football League. 

All the while Cumbie maintained a relationship with the program as a color analyst on Red Raider football games. In fact, he was on the mic for the pinnacle of Texas Tech football.

The pro football dream expired in 2009, and Cumbie re-joined the program in an official capacity that fall as a GA. 

The Mike Leach-Adam James incident happened that winter, but Tommy Tuberville retained Cumbie as his inside receivers coach in 2010, working under coordinator Neal Brown. Cumbie kept his job through another coaching change in the winter of 2012, serving as Kliff Kingsbury's co-offensive coordinator and outside receivers coach in 2013. 

He left after that season to coach quarterbacks and co-coordinate the offense at TCU. You remember that year. The Frogs split the Big 12 title with Baylor and inexplicably fell from No. 3 to No. 6 in the College Football Playoff rankings despite hammering Iowa State 58-3 in their regular season finale.

Cumbie remained in Fort Worth through December when, to quote Bear Bryant, Mama called once more.

"This place is really special," Cumbie said at his introductory press conference in December. "We're really excited to be here. It was an opportunity to come back to a place that I grew up playing in. It means a lot to myself and my family."

Cumbie and Wells never actually uttered the phrase "Air Raid" during his presser, but the subtext was there. 

"He'll create the best version of Texas Tech's offense. He'll use his years as a player here under Coach Leach and then (as a coach) under Coach Tuberville and Coach Kingsbury," Wells said. "He's coming back home to rebuild our offensive identity and our brand." 

TCU led the Big 12 in rushing last season; no other Big 12 team topped the 200-yard mark, the Frogs hit nearly 215 per game. But when asked about how he expects the offense to change moving forward, Cumbie mentioned lots of 10 and 11 personnel. "We want to be explosive and we want to throw it down the field," he said. 

Exchanging coordinator David Yost for Cumbie was the only change Wells made following a 4-6 campaign in which the Red Raiders dipped below 30 points per game for the first time since 2000. Cumbie has never worked with any coach on staff before -- he knew Wells in passing from crossing paths in D-FW recruiting -- though he did play with outside receivers coach Joel Filani. (The pair hooked up five times for 144 yards and a touchdown in that Holiday Bowl win.) 

Still, Wells and Cumbie believed they could hit the ground sprinting because of a match in philosophy and Cumbie's familiarity with the personnel in seeing the Red Raiders' offense take on the Big 12 defenses he studied while at TCU. Cumbie specifically praised Tech's talent at the skill positions and the size on the offensive line. 

"They play very, very hard," Cumbie said. "They play hard when hard when they're winning, they play very, very hard if things aren't going their way. The competitive character of this group, watching from afar, is exciting to be a part of." 

For more than a decade, Texas Tech was one of the most consistent programs in college sports. You knew what you were getting from this team: 400 passing yards, around 35 points, and between seven and nine wins. The Red Raiders went bowling 11 straight years from 2000 to 2010, and in the 21 seasons between 1993 and 2013 they missed a bowl just three times -- and went 6-5 in two of those three bowl-free seasons.

That consistency is now gone. If you remove the 7-0 start to the Kliff Kingsbury era, Texas Tech is 36-54 in its last 90 games, dating back to '13. The last time Tech finished above .500 in the Big 12 was 2009, Leach's final season. 

Not all of that is Wells's fault, of course, but it's his job to fix it. At 8-14 overall and 5-13 in Big 12 play, Cumbie is his fix -- again, the only staff change he made after last season. 

It's difficult to imagine where Tech would go from here if this doesn't work. That's why this has to work. Cumbie has spent 13 of the last 20 seasons in red and black, most of that time in the background, helping others succeed. His path is the through-line connecting all of the modern history of Texas Tech football, and never before has this walk-on grinder from Snyder, Texas, been more important.

After seven seasons away, it's on Cumbie to turn this Ship of Theseus around. 

On 7/31/2021 at 3:10 PM, Johnny Sack said:

The Tech grads I know in real life are very intelligent.  The ones on the Tech message boards average around a 75 IQ.  

The PUF?  Yeah right.  Our share supports 8 universities and 7 health institutions.  If they want in they can be a branch of Texas.  

LOLz.  "How dare you tell us how to spend your money..."

Carry on.

Edited by slorch

Former Purdue defensive coordinator Nick Holt lands on Big 12 staff

DOUG SAMUELS      AUG 3, 2021

Nick Holt has landed a new position on a staff in the Big 12.

The former Purdue co-defensive coordinator and linebackers coach from 2017-19 will serve as an analyst on the Texas Tech staff, Brett McMurphy has shared.

Holt was let go in West Lafayette in December of 2019 after the Boilermakers defense gave up too many big plays amid a rash of injuries.

A veteran college defensive coordinator, Holt has called the defense or held coordinator roles at Idaho, USC, Washington, and Western Kentucky before his three-year stint with Jeff Brohm at Purdue.

Holt was tabbed the head coach at Idaho following the 2003 dismissal of Tom Cable, but he lasted just two seasons after finishes of 3-9 and 2-9 as they transitioned from the Sun Belt to the WAC, finishing 5-18 overall.

In 2013, Holt was named the defensive coordinator at Western Kentucky under Bobby Petrino for one season, and when Petrino opted to take the Louisville job, Holt stayed put under Jeff Brohm. When Brohm left for West Lafayette, Holt stayed as the interim head coach and led the Hilltoppers to a win in the Boca Raton Bowl.

Back in October of 2020, Holt had signed on to become the head coach of the Varese Skorpions, an Italian team that plays American football overseas. 

His appointment in Lubbock will be the well traveled college coach's first stop in the Big 12, and at 58, he has a lot of energy left in the tank.

1 hour ago, slorch said:

LOLz.  "How dare you tell us how to spend your money..."

Carry on.

Constitutionally, PUF revenue goes to the University of Texas and A&M systems.  You want in — either join one of our systems or amend the constitution.  

Good luck with that.  It isn’t your money.  Or mine.  It’s a revenue stream that predates Texas Tech.  You have as much claim to it as Lone Star College or HCC.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

13 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Constitutionally, PUF revenue goes to the University of Texas and A&M systems.  You want in — either join one of our systems or amend the constitution.  

Good luck with that.  It isn’t your money.  Or mine.  It’s a revenue stream that predates Texas Tech.  You have as much claim to it as Lone Star College or HCC.  

I’ve been arguing that point with some Texas haters on the City Data forum, but those guys think the people will vote for it.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/texas/3288396-ut-potentially-leave-big-12-lawmakers-6.html

Edited by Armybrat

13 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Fuck off.  You don't have to admit the truth for it to be so.

7 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

I’ve been arguing that point with some Texas haters on the City Data forum, but those idiots think the people will vote for it.

I don't believe it will ever change, but  "jonesing up" about it when it's really nothing other than luck gets tiresome.

In the end, it don't make a shit, other than being another advantage Texas pisses away.

Edited by slorch

2 hours ago, slorch said:

I don't believe it will ever change, but  "jonesing up" about it when it's really nothing other than luck gets tiresome.

In the end, it don't make a shit, other than being another advantage Texas pisses away.

Texas is a world class university.  It hasn’t pissed away anything.   Business.  Law.  Medicine.  You ever heard of MD Anderson?  Because I’d sure as hell rather have PUF funds go to MD Anderson type entities than to Texas freaking Tech, where the ability to fog a mirror guarantees admission.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, TrashMaster G said:

Pissing away?  Your stupid is showing.

I’d assume he’s talking about sports and not academics.  But you never know with our special friends from Lubbock. But even as shitty as Texas has been since the 2009 season, Texas is 9-2 against Tech during that time.  So talk about underachieving.  And if he’s talking about what the UT System has accomplished with PUF funds as underachieving, well he’s just confirming the Tech stereotype of ignorance and stupidity.  

One MNC in 50 years...and it took a generational QB along with 58 guys who ended up playing in the NFL to overcome GDavis and Mack Brown.

Yep, money well spent. Cheat harder, Joneses.

Edited by slorch

5 minutes ago, slorch said:

One MNC in 50 years...and it took a generational QB along with 58 guys who ended up playing in the NFL to overcome GDavis and Mack Brown.

Yep, money well spent. Cheat harder, Joneses.

So a discussion on PUF resources and your burn is that we've underachieved in ONE sport?  Wow.  Even dumber than I thought.

And we will just ignore the fact that our Athletics dept is self-sustaining. 

You do you, friend.

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting point made by Josh Pate...

Texas Tech is middle of the sandwich game for tcu, Iowa State, Okie Lite.  All 3 times the Red Raiders are also at home, and the opponent has to play blOU the following week so there may be opportunities for some upsets...

• TCU:  TEXAS, at Tech, at blOU
  • Iowa State:  TEXAS, at Tech, at blOU
  • Okie Lite:  tcu, at Tech, blOU

Texas Tech Red Raiders Schedule 2021

Regular Season
DATE OPPONENT TIME TV  
Sat, 9/4
vsHOUHOU *
6:00 PM

espn-red@2x.png

Sat, 9/11
vsSFASFA
BIG12|ESPN+

Sat, 9/18
vsFIUFIU
BIG12|ESPN+

Sat, 9/25
@TEX21 TEX
TBD    
Sat, 10/2
@WVUWVU
TBD    
Sat, 10/9
vsTCUTCU
TBD    
Sat, 10/16
@KUKU
TBD    
Sat, 10/23
vsKSUKSU
TBD    
Sat, 10/30
@OU2 OU
TBD    
Sat, 11/13
vsISU7 ISU
TBD    
Sat, 11/20
vsOKSTOKST
TBD    
Sat, 11/27
@BAYBAY
TBD    

* Game played at neutral location

Edited by LTtxfan

22 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Interesting point made by Josh Pate...

Texas Tech is middle of the sandwich game for tcu, Iowa State, Okie Lite.  All 3 times the Red Raiders are also at home, and the opponent has to play blOU the following week so there may be opportunities for some upsets...

• TCU:  TEXAS, at Tech, at blOU
  • Iowa State:  TEXAS, at Tech, at blOU
  • Okie Lite:  tcu, at Tech, blOU

Texas Tech Red Raiders Schedule 2021

Regular Season
DATE OPPONENT TIME TV  
Sat, 9/4
vsHOUHOU *

espn-red@2x.png

Sat, 9/11
vsSFASFA
BIG12|ESPN+

Sat, 9/18
vsFIUFIU
BIG12|ESPN+

Sat, 9/25
@TEX21 TEX
TBD    
Sat, 10/2
@WVUWVU
TBD    
Sat, 10/9
vsTCUTCU
TBD    
Sat, 10/16
@KUKU
TBD    
Sat, 10/23
vsKSUKSU
TBD    
Sat, 10/30
@OU2 OU
TBD    
Sat, 11/13
vsISU7 ISU
TBD    
Sat, 11/20
vsOKSTOKST
TBD    
Sat, 11/27
@BAYBAY
TBD    

* Game played at neutral location

End of video talks about Texas Tech "sandwich" schedule and tall WRs...

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Came across this recap of the 1976 UT @ Tech game.  It’s a Tech focused video and UT lost a close one, but the commentary and background music kick ass.  I would love to have seen the cars in the parking lot that day (and of course the hot ass disco chicks).  

That’s the voice of the late, great Jack Dale
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

He shouldn't be there now...

quagmire AF, though; so who the hell knows?

They do so many things so badly. I hate this program.  It's not sour grapes over one game either.  It's certainly not, "hey we lost, fire the coach!"  There is NOTHING NOTHING NOTHING about which to be optimistic.  ZE-FUCKING-RO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But hey, I hear it's easy to get Wells into your 4 man scramble or BBQ cook off... nobody the fuck else wants to talk to him.

IT's what we fucking wanted.   Reap it.

Edited by slorch

3 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

This Late 4th Qtr TD in Lubbock causes Tech to lose after leading for most of the game...  OUCH !!!

So @slorch   Is Wells gonna survive and coach Tech next year ?? 

Yeah, missed the end but know Tech had ball across the 50yd line after converting a big 4th down play.

Pretty sure there was still close to 3 minutes left...

Tough Loss

5 minutes ago, slorch said:

He shouldn't be there now...

quagmire AF, though; so who the hell knows?

They do so many things so badly. I hate this program.  It's not sour grapes over one game either.  It's certainly not, "hey we lost, fire the coach!"  There is NOTHING NOTHING NOTHING about which to be optimistic.  ZE-FUCKING-RO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But hey, I hear it's easy to get Wells into your 4 man scramble or BBQ cook off... nobody the fuck else wants to talk to him.

IT's what we fucking wanted.   Reap it.

Hey I feel your pain -- currently not much better in Atx, just hoping for some better players in Horns 2022 Recruiting Class...  

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

Hey I feel your pain -- currently not much better in Atx, just hoping for some better players in Horns 2022 Recruiting Class...  

I don't feel any pain towards Tech football.  Not any more.  I told the wife halfway through the 3rd when K-State made up 9pts unanswered, that the game was fucking over.  I wonder how I fucking knew?

IDGAF any more.   It's a fucking joke of a program.

Basketball and baseball are fun AF.  yes, this coming basketball season will be fun.   Football is nothing.

Go Astros!  Go beef rib that I had for lunch.  Go multiple marzen Oktoberfests in my glass today!   Tis a great day!!!