Tell me about Texas Tech

Longboard Horn

10 hours ago, pigmeat markham said:

Stringer is actually a pretty good player.  Felton not so much.

I'm wondering if Felton had any offers at anything better than a low level 1-A school, like Tulsa or San Jose or a MAC school.  He was never that great at Tech.  

If he is going to go to graduate school and no big time programs were interested in him, he may have just decided to stay in Lubbock where he has a social base, start work on his masters, and play some special teams.  It's a hell of a lot better life than most 22 year old college kids live.  He isn't any kind of an NFL prospect

Stringer was not a star, but a contributor on defense.  It's good for Gibbs that he is returning

• Like 1

On 6/15/2018 at 2:07 AM, slorch said:

Personally, if we're going to move on from the past, Neal Brown isn't part of that solution...

So you're probably 100% accurate.

The rift that keeps on giving...

I would really hope we hire someone who doesn't have direct ties to Leach (or Tuberville) when they fire Kliff, but I know that's exactly what they'll do.  The Tech big money guys who make these decisions really seem to want somebody who can run Leach's offense but has a docile, easy to control personality, so whoever's out there that's most like Kliff will be the next Kliff.

50 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

Sadly, the greatest night in Tech history.

Once that season ended, I put that one aside, i.e. I've never watched it again, though obviously it's hard to avoid seeing the one play by Crabtree.  I knew that it could very well turn into some kind of fetish object with a lot of Tech fans, and it has.

Edited by Dirk X West

9 minutes ago, Dirk X West said:

I would really hope we hire someone who doesn't have direct ties to Leach (or Tuberville) when they fire Kliff, but I know that's exactly what they'll do.  The Tech big money guys who make these decisions really seem to want somebody who can run Leach's offense but has a docile, easy to control personality, so whoever's out there that's most like Kliff will be the next Kliff.

Sooo... Sonny Dykes?

The Whitlock safety and Charbonet’s pick six were incredible plays that seldom get brought up in the discussion of that game.

Whitlock’s in particular was the first punch in the mouth against what was still a traditionally nasty OL for Texas.

59 minutes ago, Dirk X West said:

Once that season ended, I put that one aside, i.e. I've never watched it again, though obviously it's hard to avoid seeing the one play by Crabtree.  I knew that it could very well turn into some kind of fetish object with a lot of Tech fans, and it has.

when i use to get drunk i would watch that game over and over fist pumping and crying. fuck, i hate alcohol

I know what you're saying.  I did that the day Leach got fired (got drunk, but just watched cable sports news talking about it) and never have invested that much emotion in Tech football, or sports in general, ever again after that.

Edited by Dirk X West

I still have a few questions on Tech history and traditions that were never answered over at the old house. One big one, who exactly are the Saddletramps? Are they to Tech what the Silver Spurs are to UT? Also, who wraps the Will Rogers statue? Is it done only by the Saddletramps or can other students partake? Also, why isn't the stadium named after Will Rogers?

4 hours ago, DeadArmadillo said:

I'm wondering if Felton had any offers at anything better than a low level 1-A school, like Tulsa or San Jose or a MAC school.  He was never that great at Tech.  

If he is going to go to graduate school and no big time programs were interested in him, he may have just decided to stay in Lubbock where he has a social base, start work on his masters, and play some special teams.  It's a hell of a lot better life than most 22 year old college kids live.  He isn't any kind of an NFL prospect

Stringer was not a star, but a contributor on defense.  It's good for Gibbs that he is returning

Rivals shows Felton as having only one other offer, that being UH.

It shows Stringer on the other hand to have 18 offers including Wisconsin, Cal, Oklahoma State, Ariz, Indiana, Illinois, etc.

1 hour ago, Longboard Horn said:

I still have a few questions on Tech history and traditions that were never answered over at the old house. One big one, who exactly are the Saddletramps? Are they to Tech what the Silver Spurs are to UT? Also, who wraps the Will Rogers statue? Is it done only by the Saddletramps or can other students partake? Also, why isn't the stadium named after Will Rogers?

Yeah, the Saddletramps are a spirit organization along the lines of the Silver Spurs.  Not sure how many Silver Spurs there are, but seems like Saddletramps may be a larger group.  Have to do a pledgeship and that sort of thing.  They're the ones who wrap the statue.  If a non-member showed up to help I doubt if there would be fist fight, but it's known as their thing.

Stadium isn't named for Will Rogers as way back in the day when it was built (1947), it was named for donors Clifford B. and Audrey Jones.  Then in 2000, active TTU alum Ed Whitacre (now former AT&T and General Motors CEO) under the auspices of AT&T, donated 50 million dollars to supplement stadium updates.  It has now officially become Jones AT&T Stadium.

Edited by pigmeat markham

13 hours ago, pigmeat markham said:

Rivals shows Felton as having only one other offer, that being UH.

It shows Stringer on the other hand to have 18 offers including Wisconsin, Cal, Oklahoma State, Ariz, Indiana, Illinois, etc.

Sorry if I was unclear.  I meant any offers wanting them to transfer in.  I doubt Felton had any P5 teams calling him wanting him to transfer in and play as a scholarship graduate student.  Stringer probably had a few transfer options

10 hours ago, DeadArmadillo said:

Sorry if I was unclear.  I meant any offers wanting them to transfer in.  I doubt Felton had any P5 teams calling him wanting him to transfer in and play as a scholarship graduate student.  Stringer probably had a few transfer options

Not to worry, perhaps my fault.  Agree with your sentiment.  Felton's 520 career yards likely didn't compel the suitors to come running. You gotta think though, Stringer had some options. Tech officials wouldn't comment.

Edited by pigmeat markham

On 6/28/2018 at 3:11 PM, Longboard Horn said:

History of the Saddle Tramps

Also, you know our first mascot is a Matador, right? I think it's better than the Red Raiders. That's why our School song is called "Matador Song". 

Fight, Matadors, for Tech,

Songs of love we sing to thee,

Bear our banners far and wide,

Ever will be our pride,

Fearless champions ever be,

Stand on heights of victory,

Strive for honor evermore,

Long live the Matadors!

Edited by Bash Riprock
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

Yes I am well aware of the matador. Also, thanks for the Saddle Tramps link!

Funny tidbit about the Will Rogers Statue.

Link

The statue, titled “Into the Sunset,” depicts Rogers on his horse, Soapsuds. An inscription at its base reads “Lovable Old Will Rogers on his favorite horse, Soapsuds, riding into the Western sunset.”

The statue, near the Broadway and University Avenue entrance to the Tech campus, initially faced a more northwesterly direction, so as to have Rogers and Soapsuds riding off toward the West Texas sunset. But that initial placement had the hind quarters of the horse facing toward downtown Lubbock, much to the consternation of some local officials.

To solve this problem, the statue was repositioned “in the late 1960s or ’70s,” according to Snead. It was moved 23 degrees so the horse’s posterior faces more toward College Station, and away from downtown Lubbock

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pigmeat markham said:

Perhaps I'm misreading entirely the TT fan base, but I get the sense there's very little enthusiasm for a Sonny Dykes hire.  I know that's certainly the case for me.  

My guess would be he's not going to be the guy.

Time to start a new legacy.

Period.

On 6/28/2018 at 4:24 PM, pigmeat markham said:

Yeah, the Saddletramps are a spirit organization along the lines of the Silver Spurs.  Not sure how many Silver Spurs there are, but seems like Saddletramps may be a larger group.  Have to do a pledgeship and that sort of thing.  They're the ones who wrap the statue.  If a non-member showed up to help I doubt if there would be fist fight, but it's known as their thing.

Stadium isn't named for Will Rogers as way back in the day when it was built (1947), it was named for donors Clifford B. and Audrey Jones.  Then in 2000, active TTU alum Ed Whitacre (now former AT&T and General Motors CEO) under the auspices of AT&T, donated 50 million dollars to supplement stadium updates.  It has now officially become Jones AT&T Stadium.

more accurately Ed. W was with Southwestern Bell which was going by SBC at the time so they donated the money and it was Jones SBC Stajium then when SBC bought AT&T and changed their name to AT&T I believe they were contractually allowed to have the name changed to Jones AT&T, but I also believe the contract was due for a renewal and AT&T (generously IMO) agreed to pay some more money ($12 or $15 million if I recall) and to cover the cost to change the name on the facilities and extend the naming rights deal with the Jones AT&T Stajium name

8 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

more accurately Ed. W was with Southwestern Bell which was going by SBC at the time so they donated the money and it was Jones SBC Stajium then when SBC bought AT&T and changed their name to AT&T I believe they were contractually allowed to have the name changed to Jones AT&T, but I also believe the contract was due for a renewal and AT&T (generously IMO) agreed to pay some more money ($12 or $15 million if I recall) and to cover the cost to change the name on the facilities and extend the naming rights deal with the Jones AT&T Stajium name

Relax a little.  It would be my view the folk here are not all that interested in the details of Whitaker's career nor the alphabet soup name changes.  The question was, why wasn't the stadium named for Will Rogers.  

The name was changed to Jones SBC Stadium in 2000.  Then in 2006 it was changed to Jones AT&T Stadium as a function of SBC purchasing AT&T.  And as I mentioned, Whitacre is indeed the former CEO of AT&T (formerly SBC).

On 6/29/2018 at 7:01 PM, slorch said:

Time to start a new legacy.

Period.

Agreed, but I'm not getting my hopes up.  I think if they let Hocutt make the call, he'd hire a pretty good coach, but I don't think he's the one calling the shots when it comes to football.

Guest Lobo

Two startups from UT that came through McCombs, then TVL (and its affiliates)...will be ringing the bell today to close the NASDAQ.  Yet another great Wall Street moment for the Longhorns.  Meanwhile, a Red Raider graduate student group will be auctioning off some dirt and a crippled mule in Post, Texas later today.  

43 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Two startups from UT that came through McCombs, then TVL (and its affiliates)...will be ringing the bell today to close the NASDAQ.  Yet another great Wall Street moment for the Longhorns.  Meanwhile, a Red Raider graduate student group will be auctioning off some dirt and a crippled mule in Post, Texas later today.  

and with all that money, UT still can't buy a football team worth a fuck.

Go suck on Jimbo's chesthairs, you stupid cuntfuck.

Guest Lobo

I don't care for Texas A&M either.  We're actively uncovering a possible undisclosed collusion between A&M and UC System with regard to the Los Alamos lab bid process.  

And yes, Texas football could do better.  

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I don't care for Texas A&M either.  We're actively uncovering a possible undisclosed collusion between A&M and UC System with regard to the Los Alamos lab bid process.  

And yes, Texas football could do better.  

I bet you walk into AutoZone and ask where the quilting patterns are...

or pull up to Sonic and order sunglasses.

WTF is wrong with you homey?  sitting out in direct sunlight too long?  Your noggin is cooked through to the bottom of your brain pan.

Guest Lobo

Of course I have I have issues.  I'm sure you're a perfectly nice person in real life.  I was just tossing back some shit to you and also I don't like Texas Tech University.  Sorry that on a thread about Texas Tech, I said something about Texas Tech that you didn't like.  I wanted to find a place to celebrate a really cool moment for some students of mine at the NASDAQ today and your mom's taint was already occupied.  

You seem like a gigantic faggot.
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Lobo said:

You mean like these guys?  https://www.everythinglubbock.com/news/local-news/former-tech-football-players-land-28-billion-oil-deal-now-two-of-the-richest-texans-under-40/663792612

what does it look like for Tech this year?

to have a decent record they have to win all 3 OOC games and beat KSU and WVU in addition to the KU and BU games they should win

that would get them to 7 wins and a bowl game and probably not a bowl team with a chip on their shoulder like USF last year so they might actually win that game

I know that Ole' Miss sucked last year, but it is the first game of the season and Tech shits the bed in those first games a lot and usually plays shitty even against D1-AA season openers

it should be a pretty big home game for Tech though in Houston

Lamar should be a win

they should beat Houston again being @ Tech

I see OkState as a loss

they should beat WVU, but generally in the "shoot out games" with teams running the same offense Tech fucks up late in the game and loses

off week

I see a loss to TCU

win over KU

loss to ISU because teams that have a running game shit on Tech

loss to OU

loss to Texas

and KSU should be a win, but if Tech has already lost to WVU earlier in the season and is staring at 3 straight losses then KSU is another loss

win over Baylor unless Tech has gone into "it's over man" mode

losses to both KSU and WVU is 5-7 and Kliff is gone

if they can manage to beat WVU and come into the KSU game 5-5 and pull out a win that would be 6-5 and then a win over Baylor is 7-5 and a bowl win 8-5 and Kliff would keep his job for sure

the bad thing is their DC will be gone without a doubt unless Kliff wants to give up some of his money and pay the DC about as good as any DC in the country and if the DC is gone then Tech is fucked again in 2019 and they have put off the inevitable for another year (but saved buyout money)

I see little chance of a win over OkState, no chance for a win over OU, no chance over TCU, no chance for a win over Texas and I see little chance of a win over ISU so that brings it to needing to win both WVU and KSU and without the win over WVU I think the team will be in give up mode after a loss to TCU and will not beat KSU either

so it is either 5-7 or 8-5 and not much in between and no real chance of better than 8-5 and more of a chance to be worse.....a loss in any one of the 3 OOC games probably sends it out of control

If Kliff goes .500 or above this season, with that schedule versus his talent on the field; it will have been a good year of coaching.

It still may very well get him fired, what with the hole he's already in.

I've seen many season totals at 6 for Tech.  I'd take the under.  Seriously.

Edited by slorch

1 hour ago, Longboard Horn said:

Question to all Tech grads. If Kliff gets fired, where would he land as QB coach or OC? Also, who is Tech looking at to hire?

hard to say people he is familiar with are all "hired up" right now

I don't see him going to work for mike I am not sure they are best buds like people might think they are

Rummy will only be one year into his job at AU so probably not looking for a new OC

Sunny will only be one year in at SMU so not sure he would be looking for an OC either and I think he would just as easily be in line for the Tech job

Major has Briles so he will not be looking for an OC unless Briles leaves......don't see Kliff fitting with Joey Freshwater although they could probably fuck a lot of chicks hanging out together in Florida (or fuck each other)

don't see him going anywhere in the SEC SEC SEC unless maybe LSU takes some long shot because Gumbo needs some "score the points type stuff"

Morris is new at Arkansas so probably not looking for an OC after his first year

if Kansas hired a new coach and it was Lester Miles then Kliff could well get the call there because Lester knows shit about scoring points I don't see Kliff going anywhere else in the Big 12 unless LONG SHOT TCU loses their OC, but not sure Kliff would go there I think he would sit out a year first

I doubt he would take a G5 job (other than maybe FAU) and I don't see anywhere else in the PAC 12 looking unless the Herm Experiment needs a new OC because whatever reject they ended up with after theirs left totally sucks

so that leaves basically long shot TCU, Kansas if they hire Lester (probably not if they hire Bert), long shot LSU,...longer shot ASU......real stretch would be maybe if FIU loses and OC.....or one last one if KSU gets rid of Father Football and they hire a guy that slings it around

I think Kliff will go to the pros most likely as a QB coach and get away from college for a while and get his name associated with something besides the college game and hope he can distance and come back to college when he is older and maybe get a head coaching job (like a mini-Kiffin rebuild)

I think if Dykes does well at SMU he would be a good hire, but I think Tech might fuck it up again and try and hire Seth "Lamar" Litrell from north Texas state would be a real fuck up and not really much distance from the past issues considering the OC that would come along while I think Dykes actually represents more distance from any real past issues

other than that it is a long shot if they were smart and wanted to go all in they would go for Joey Freshwater that fucker can coach for sure.....long shot is if Rummy does well at AU try and toss money at him he only makes $2 million at AU

if Tech goes for some bullshit "knows Texas" or "keep the system the same, but get a guy that has experience" they will fuck up and hire Seth "Lamar" Litrell or maybe a bigger mistake try and hire Major (and possibly face rejection)

if Les Miles was out there I would say fuck it go for him too

Tech needs something BIG with the position they are going to be in if Kliff bar is gone and that is not some AAC coach, no north Texas state guy or any shit like that or the OC from Kansas or TCU....they need a big splash and that is Joey F, Rummy (provided he wins 9+ at AU), Lester, and that is about it for a splash hire maybe Harsin from Boise, but they might face rejection there for a few reasons 

other than that the are faced with a "safe guy"' or they are faced with taking a huge risk and their 100% real and best and only option there is Dykes and anyone else is probably a huge fuck up

4 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

Question to all Tech grads. If Kliff gets fired, where would he land as QB coach or OC? Also, who is Tech looking at to hire?

If KK gets fired, it wouldn't surprise me a bit to see him go to the NFL.  Supposedly, there has been more than one overture along those lines already and he has plenty of contacts there.  Hard to see him going back to the college ranks as your garden variety college OC after being a head coach and one sure can't envision another school of any stature hiring him as the head man given the bust he's been.

As to who would be hired, if forced to, I'd bet on Neal Brown, but who knows?  I personally am not nearly as put off by the prospect of Seth Littrell as some seem to be.  And don't snicker and dismiss this automatically as I did upon first hearing it,  but by far the most interesting possibility is Mike Leach.

To be sure, I'm not saying it would happen, but some folk with some really deep pockets are on board with the idea.  At the end of last season, informal contact was made and ML went beyond just not saying no in his response.  Hance, his primary combatant, while informally not completely removed from the scene, is gone as chancellor as is most of the old regime.  Just saying it's more possible than I ever would  have imagined.

58 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

We're gonna shit down Tech's throats again.

I have nothing against Tech whatsoever, but Campbell has just gone in dry on them thus far.  I see no reason that will change.  Especially in Ames.

The world will soon come to an end.  An ISU fan talking shit.

Year before last was a true rout, of that there is no question.  Last year's point differential was 18 points, by no means a nail biter, but by my definition anyway, not exactly "going in dry".  While Campbell appears as if he'll be a good coach, it's important not to get carried away.  

Campbell is 11-14 at ISU.

there is zero chance Tech gets Neal Brown he will have job offers that are way more appealing (even if they are not "better") and there is zero chance he will expose himself to the small, but highly vocal contingent of the most stupid mike fans

even if he has no other offers besides Tech next year he will wait another year for a better offer Vs having anything to do with Tech

and Seth "Lamar" Litrell will be a disaster and a sign that Tech has given up and always wants to be a school that tops out at 8 wins and a spare bowl game and pays more and more every year for that until their coach is fired or leaves for something better

Edited by ButtFumble